Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
cruise control

Well, my '86 345's cruise control quit. I took the 'signal generator' off and cleaned it and it worked again for about 70 miles then it stopped working again.
It's a Dana. Any ideas? Any parts available for it? Looks like I need a 'signal generator' to start with. Or is a new cruise control in my 'Silver Bullets' future.
It's only 22 years old, don't know why it would quit so soon.
mel
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Do you have the electronic speedometer? If so, does the speedometer work correctly?
There are several parts required to make the cruise work. Yours not working could be as simple as a bad or out of adjustment stoplight switch.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Terry,
This is a '86 cable driven speed-o-meter. I've checked the 'check list' in the book. I've cleaned the grounds. I've check the vacuum. Only think I didn't check was the tread that was already started.
Of course my 'Silver Bullet' has the night-mare of a dash wiring mess.
The only thing electronic is the EFI I installed which was the best think I have done to it to date... Well, maybe the new roof A/C, or maybe the new floor, or maybe.....
If I can't fix it myself, I'll put a new one on it before I'd take it anywhere to be repaired. I've found that after 'they' repair something, then I got to fix it.
mel
Old 07-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you have the cable driven unit, you will have a two-piece speedometer cable, with the cruise transducer in between.
Now, you probably have a separate switch for the brake pedal, if you can crawl under the dash and take a look. If you suddenly released the brake pedal once, and the pedal "thumped" up to its stop, you may have pushed the switch out enough the transducer thinks you have the brakes applied, and will not engage.
Another thing to check is if the cruise will engage when you push the "accel" switch in, but drops back out when you release the switch. That would probably be the switch itself.
Whether or not these are what's wrong, it will give you a direction to go.
BTW, if I had a dollar for every one of those transducers that went bad, I could retire again...
Old 07-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
well, the 'resume-accel' has never worked in the 10 years I've had it, and it's always been touchy to get it to engage. I do (did) know the switch works, 'cause I've check it at the plug along with everything else I could think of back when I was trying to get the 'resume' to work. I finely decided, as long as it worked I could live without the 'resume'.
It does have the split cable and after I took the signal generator off and cleaned it, it did work for 70 miles. The brake/vacuum switch? Guess I need to start at the top and check my way though it again. Just hate to open that dash up. You know they hot glued all the lights and well everything behind the dash together, so it starts falling apart on disassembly.
If I ever get the house done and quit running off to bicycle across Montana and Alberta, South Dakota and Iowa or Oklahoma, maybe I'd have time to play with my 'Silver Bullet'
mel
Old 07-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The brake switch is on the pedestal for the stoplight switch, you shouldn't have to take the dash apart.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Well, I've had it with trying to fix the dang thing. Has anyone heard of the "Brandon" cruise control? It's priced at $163 on there web site Brandon Distributing, Inc. - Accessories for your Car, Truck, SUV & RV.
mel
Old 12-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Mel, your more patience than me, I would have given up trying to fix it after 2-4 days and got the new one... Good luck

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Well, I've had it with trying to fix the dang thing. Has anyone heard of the "Brandon" cruise control? It's priced at $163 on there web site Brandon Distributing, Inc. - Accessories for your Car, Truck, SUV & RV.
mel
Mel, looks very similar to a unit that I've used in several different vehicles. I'd say go for it and give it a try. I figure one of these days I'll have to replace the ones in our Motorhomes. Just hoping that day doesn't come to soon!

Keep us posted as to how it works.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I went for it. It was harder stripping out the old then installing the new. The new 'speed pickup' plug didn't match the old plug, so I stripped the old plug off and used on the new harness. Now I have two less vacuum lines and one less vacuum tank. Had to get the wife to point out the blue the 'tech' wire. Its just not fair to be color blind sometimes.
Just took my 'Silver Bullet' on a test run and all systems are go!
It's off to Brownsville, TX in a three weeks. Got a church mission trip around Los Fresnos. Guess I better find a place to park down that way.
mel
Old 12-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Whoa there Pardner. My Cruise quit in Montana five years ago and I've been looking for a replacement unit since. Mine is the diesel and henceforth, there are no vacuum lines to start with.

Now this Rostra unit looks like it will work. They are saying no vacuum is required. Think I'll give it a whirl.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
This one don't use/need vacuum. It does have a 'Tach' wire for over rev, but it will work without it. It also had a neutral switch (another over rev protector) wire, but I cut it off. With shipping, cost was $177. I'm going to return the 'dash control' because my old t/s lever control pluged right in and worked. Call them, they gave me a better price on the phone than on the website.
mel
Old 12-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #13
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
That's going to be my first project of the new year. (That's if it warms up a bit. My pole barn isn't heated you see.)

Thanks Mel.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk View Post
That's going to be my first project of the new year. (That's if it warms up a bit. My pole barn isn't heated you see.)

Thanks Mel.
My barn is 27X40 and I had the spray foam insulated. I keep the rear heater on 55 and that keeps the barn warm, but then I'm in Oklahoma and it gets cold, but not for long. But still, I'm going south in two weeks
mel