Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Groveland , Massachusetts
82 310 Cruise Control

I am having a problem with the cruise control on our 82 310. The unit will not engage, this is a new problem as untill recently it worked fine. I have the manual/troubleshooting guide, however I am haveng trouble locating the control/regulator unit to check voltages on the unit. Does anyone know the location of the unit??

Thanks
classic310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
On our 345 it is located just above the throttle pedal. I also have lost the use of my cruise control. The company that built them has been bought out and parts are very hard to come by.
Check your sending unit which is mounted on the transmission where the speedo cable comes out. There should be wiring from that point to the unit.

I am saving up my pennies for a "King Cruise"!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
I found our Cruise Control Unit on the 310, right up under the dash above the steering wheel mount - what a stupid place to put it! It is virtually impossible to get at, and a quick look at the manual says "adjust it......."?!

So my inoperable CC is definitely on the back burner so to speak. I am sure it is a fuse or something daft like that. It has never worked in my ownership, and the PO's didn’t say.

I just need to get at that GM fuse panel on the bulk head - reposition it, so I can see what is going on, THEN possibly sort out the CC. It looks to me that the power is one of those questionable "insert" plugs that push into a fuse holder. There is a vacuum there - somewhere - but I am not sure that is the problem.

Out of interest does anyone know if the vacuum gauges are repairable, mine constantly read the same - it never moves.

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Groveland , Massachusetts
Found the controller, right where you guys said it would be. Your right Chuckles, the location does leave something to be desired. The problem in my case however, turned out to be the vacume hose. Which is connected to the vacume speed control (well that's what I'll all it) located on the front right of the engine block by the carb. I reconnected the hose and all is well. Finally a simple fix. Kind of scary actually!!! Thanks for your help.
classic310 is offline   Reply With Quote