Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2021, 07:49 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
I've used the black ones with yellow lids but they proved too lightweight for our trailering needs. Also had lids fly off. Our family has used three sizes of Coleman storage units very successfully (black bins with red tops...important because of our Airstream's red wheels, red interior accents, and red awning :-)...and they've worked well. Heavier gauge bins and lids than the black & yellow Lowes/HD ones and they have a pretty good snap down handle/latch on each side.

The Rubbermaid ones in thread above look super, and we may check them out next time around. I like the look of the secure handles. But I may need special permission to look at something without a red color scheme :-).
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:39 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Ft. Pierce , Florida
We use Husky storage bins from Home Depot to store our cast iron and some other cooking items, to store our pizza oven and to store pantry and food extras.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-20...774811#overlay

I store my tools in Ridgid organizer storage bins.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2...440492#overlay

We store our Camp Chef stove in a storage container on wheels similar to the one shown below:

https://www.wayfair.com/WFX-Utility%...CABEgKxkvD_BwE

We were able to lock these containers individually using padlocks, and then lock them to each other and the truck’s tie downs using a long cable lock. Now we have a Retrax bed cover and don’t need the locks. The lids keep the water and dust out. We’ve had these for going on 6 years and they work like they’re brand new. We also use the bins below from the container store to store extra food and pantry items. These 41qrt bins have latches which work well to seal the containers.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/sto...SABEgLqpvD_BwE
FLCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
3-D PRINTER BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY
I just read the reviews on the Rubbermaid boxes.... seems lately the handles have been cheapened and break. Decades ago Rubbeaod went bankrupt and was sold and mpved.to China. You cannot just buy new handles.
Seems like an opportunity for someone....
Old 10-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I actually didn't understand how important payload limits are. I had an incident years earlier with my Expididition where we ended up being sued along with Ford. Insurance guys first checked payload of passengers and gear to see if overloaded. I should have learned from that but didn't pay attention. With the F150, I stopped carrying kayaks and offloaded most all cargo. Still was over by 200lbs. Sold AS, got F250 with 2200payload...no more concerns.
Hi

Some of us get tired of the unloading / reloading stuff and go from an F250 to a F350 .... 4,200 pound payload.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowbridge View Post
I've used the black ones with yellow lids but they proved too lightweight for our trailering needs. Also had lids fly off. Our family has used three sizes of Coleman storage units very successfully (black bins with red tops...important because of our Airstream's red wheels, red interior accents, and red awning :-)...and they've worked well. Heavier gauge bins and lids than the black & yellow Lowes/HD ones and they have a pretty good snap down handle/latch on each side.

The Rubbermaid ones in thread above look super, and we may check them out next time around. I like the look of the secure handles. But I may need special permission to look at something without a red color scheme :-).
The lids actually are held on pretty tight on the black boxes with yellow lids...5 years now and no issues. (we do travel a lot!) I do have a tri-fold topper cover on the bed however so nothing exposed to wind/rain in the bed.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
We made the whole bed a custom box with the diamond back tonneau cover.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
It’s a deviation from my thread but yes, I have enough payload with the AS hitched. By specs, my 2.7Eco has both enough payload and tow capability BUT it would have put the truck at less than 10% “padding”, which I wasn’t thrilled about. This turned out to be ok because we actually like better the size of the FC23CB that we have on order for both towability and maneuverability (our first trailer).

Back to the containers though:
- That price on custom boxes mentioned gives me cause to seek alternatives
- I’ve bought those black and yellows, they’re good. Clear would be nice to see inside but I guess that’s what labels are for! [emoji23]
- I really like the idea of building a simple frame to lay in the bed, sized to each of my bins so they don’t slide. [emoji1360]. I think I’ll just do this.
- I have a tri-fold hard tonneau cover to protect the contents from weather and “frisky fingers”.

Thanks again to all. This has been really useful feedback!

-Phil
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiclouds View Post
I too am leaning towards the F150 for my 25-ftr. How did you manage during those few years of being not knowledgeable?

I’m not sure by reading your post if you’re looking for advice on TV specs but if you are, see below. If not, please ignore.[emoji23]

I suggest doing it the way I did - research. There are lot’s of YouTube resources but soooo many of those folks ramble endlessly to teach you what could be summarized in about 15-20 minutes and I would lose faith that they really had authoritative knowledge of the subject. That’s why I turned to online resources that provide references and were able to concisely outline all the parameters. I don’t have any links handy but just do a web search and you’ll get plenty of good hits.
In short, you’ll need to consider:
- the vehicles tow capability, which is provided by the manufacturer. This is the most weight that can be pulled and will be influenced by the size of the motor, the transmission and axle gearing, and suspension setup, among other things.
- you need to have a proper hitch for the weight you’re towing, likely Class IV or better.
- pay attention to the weight that the hitch can handle. This is the “tongue weight”, which ties into the next item:
-trailer hitch weight. It will likely be too heavy to attach to your TV (tow vehicle) without a weight distribution (WD) hitch. This takes some of the weight off the ball hitch and distributes it to the front of the TV and rear of the trailer, this leveling the units and preventing the front of the TV from pointing up, which has negative handling ramifications. YES, you need one. In limited circumstances maybe not but why be cheap with safety? Weight distribution hitches typically also are designed to mitigate sway.
- the “last” (at least in my little write up) often overlooked parameter to towing is payload. This will be the sum of ALL contents placed IN and ON the TV: passengers, pets, luggage, supplies and, yes, the hitch weight on the ball of the TV hitch. This seems to be the limiting factor for many TV’s.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NO AUTHORITY ON THIS SUBJECT MATTER AND THIS COULD CONTAIN OMISSIONS OR ERRORS. I OFFER IT AS A GUIDE TO WHAT YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR WHEN RESEARCHING KNOWLEDGEABLE AUTHORITIES FOR GUIDANCE.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 10-03-2021, 02:21 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Are they waterproof? With/without the handle?
I've left them in the rain and they're good.
If you notice I put the handle in the section that overhangs, so there's some protection and then the rope fills the hole. I have a tonneau, so I haven't gone beyond that.

Quote:
Are these tall enough and sturdy enough to sit on too? (14 years of tossed out camping chairs.)
In general, yes. They may be on the short side for seat height.
The 35 gallon is no taller, just longer and awkward, IMO.

I'll be the contrarian on the black and yellow totes. They are sturdy, but the lid is recessed so rain puddles up. Then all those slots allow water to the lip and eventually into the crate.
Before I did those I'd get the Rubbermaid BRUTE tote. Yes, rain will puddle, but not get in. They're rugged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	storage-containers-lowres-8410.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	405404  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
F350 .... 4,200 pound payload.

Bob

F350 .... 4,200 pound payload.????????????????????????

Name:	payloadf350.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	405406
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #31
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzo View Post

Attachment 405406
Depends on year and equipment options, for example I have a 2002 F-350 4X4 CCLB diesel and the payload is only 2,950 lbs. I still feel manly enough driving it though.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Depends on year and equipment options
True, mine is a 2018 DRW King Ranch 6.7L 8' bed.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:05 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
As mentioned, regardless of how clever you get with storage techniques, the payload limits with most of the F150 configurations are surprisingly low with many combinations actually less than midsize trucks like my Canyon. After adding tongue weight and passengers, you can maybe have one cooler with ice and drinks, seriously. I don't get it, but that is what the labels say.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Back to your storage question.
IMHO you are going about this bass-akwarads as the saying goes.

First you need to know what you want to store in the truck bed, and then you can look for suitable storage bin/box/bag, etc for your needs.

For what it's worth, we have a 2021 Ford F150 short bed ourselves and a 27 foot airstream. We store things that are used IN the airstream In The Airstream.

For every trip this is what goes into the truck bed. We have with us step ladder, folding antigravity chair, side table, and lawn chair with cup holder. Smokey Joe charcoal grill. Charcoal and lighter fluid, a drinking water container, and a cooler. For this type of trip we use a small container with a snap lid for the lighter fluid, and a repurposed cat litter container for keeping the charcoal dry. Amazon sells a nifty nylon zipper bag for the weber smokey joe. Everything else just gets placed int he truck bed and snuggles up together. So we don't need or couldn't even really use a bunch of containers. Our food and clothes ride in the airstream.

For extend trips when we need a generator and gas cans, we have one of those locking heavy duty plastic tool boxes like a previous poster mentioned. In it we can load the generator and gas cans, and even an extra bag of charcoal. We don't need this gear until we are at our national park campsite as en route we stay at regular campgrounds with hookups. This has been very suitable arrangement for 6 years.

I just don't think you will need many containers for your truck bed.

For the airstream storage lockers, YES-you will need containers.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post

First you need to know what you want to store in the truck bed, and then you can look for suitable storage bin/box/bag, etc for your needs.

For what it's worth, we have a 2021 Ford F150 short bed ourselves and a 27 foot airstream. We store things that are used IN the airstream In The Airstream.

For every trip this is what goes into the truck bed. We have with us step ladder, folding antigravity chair, side table, and lawn chair with cup holder. Smokey Joe charcoal grill. Charcoal and lighter fluid, a drinking water container, and a cooler. For this type of trip we use a small container with a snap lid for the lighter fluid, and a repurposed cat litter container for keeping the charcoal dry. Amazon sells a nifty nylon zipper bag for the weber smokey joe. Everything else just gets placed int he truck bed and snuggles up together. So we don't need or couldn't even really use a bunch of containers. Our food and clothes ride in the airstream.

For extend trips when we need a generator and gas cans, we have one of those locking heavy duty plastic tool boxes like a previous poster mentioned. In it we can load the generator and gas cans, and even an extra bag of charcoal. We don't need this gear until we are at our national park campsite as en route we stay at regular campgrounds with hookups. This has been very suitable arrangement for 6 years.

What does the scale say about your rig? If appears that you’ve figured out how to safely tow a 27-er with the F-150.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:40 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:

Ummm. Nothing bass ackward at all. I know exactly what I want to store in the rig an my TV. I could purchase run of the mill containers, of which there are many varieties or consider custom shaped ones if they are available. Then I can asses if custom made fit my storage requirements the way I would any of the other container options.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 10-04-2021, 06:48 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
no payload issues.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image 8-16-21 at 7.17 PM.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	405454  

Piggy Bank
Old 10-04-2021, 06:50 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Phil/Gotta Travel
What do you want to be able to store in your truck bed in containers?

Piggy Bank
Old 10-04-2021, 07:32 AM   #39
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzo View Post

Attachment 405406
Hi

Yup, with the options we have on the truck, that's what the sticker reads. This is what makes all of these "I have a 150/250/350 and it does exactly this" conversations so crazy. *All* of these trucks have a very wide range of payloads.

Just for reference, it's got:

SRW ( so not as much payload )
King Ranch
Diesel
FX4
Long bed (need that storage )
Crew Cab (room for the dogs ....)

One interesting tidbit: It has a factory installed bed cover. That beast isn't exactly light weight. It's even got a Ford emblem on it ... how cute . I'd guess it went into the math for the sticker.

Covers are one of those things people sometimes miss when adding up the load on their truck. I really can't see storing stuff in the back without some sort of cover or cap. The "rigid" version seems to be *much* better at keeping out the dust and rain than the "cloth" one I had on the 250.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:52 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Phil/Gotta Travel
What do you want to be able to store in your truck bed in containers?

All the hookup and support supplies: black/grey water hook up tub, leveling blocks and chocks tub, tub for 17” blackstone, miscellaneous supplies tub, empty tub dedicated to trash when needed and spare tub. Inverter generator and spare fuel will also be in back but not in tubs. Tools will and air compressor will be in cab. At this point, I plan on keeping the freshwater essentials, power and EMS in the tiny rear compartment but if it’s too tight, I’ll put a freshwater container for the truck bed.
In the AS will be clothes, food and living essentials, etc.