Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2021, 07:57 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_Travel View Post
All the hookup and support supplies: black/grey water hook up tub, leveling blocks and chocks tub, tub for 17” blackstone, miscellaneous supplies tub, empty tub dedicated to trash when needed and spare tub. Inverter generator and spare fuel will also be in back but not in tubs. Tools will and air compressor will be in cab. At this point, I plan on keeping the freshwater essentials, power and EMS in the tiny rear compartment but if it’s too tight, I’ll put a freshwater container for the truck bed.
In the AS will be clothes, food and living essentials, etc.

I should add, I don’t see them needing to be the same size but sized according to contents. I forgot to mention some stuff like dog bones going with electrical etc.
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:06 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
Jacksonville , Florida
I have used the black ones with yellow lids, and Action Packers - both I thought were lacking. I then switched to Plane Storage Trunks which come in three sizes and range from $15.00 to $45.00.

https://planomolding.com/collections/large-storage

2022 30’ Globetrotter
2022 RAM 2500 Diesel
bfafard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:00 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
23CB may be cramped for 2 sleeping.

Quote:
I should add, I don’t see them needing to be the same size but sized according to contents. I forgot to mention some stuff like dog bones going with electrical etc.
Not to take winds out of sales, but if you have not been in a CB model, nor slept in the bed with two, you should at least try the bed with 2. Our first AS was a 2006, Safari 25'CB...that lasted a little over a year before moving to a 2008 Twin model...CB bed way too small for 2 of us at 48" wide! (and she did not like crawling over to get out nor making up the bed) (also, she hated the corner bath/toilet....just saying...when the wifes not happy...)
Second consideration, if your looking at a 23', consider the twin; (actually, in any model...twin has much more storage inside and outside.) Twin outside storage: The chocks, hoses, etc. can be stored in the twin's outside cubby's, no matter which size AS you end up with, saving TV storage space. -twin gives you great extra outside/inside storage. (plus, you each get 4" extra sleeping surface with the twin vs the queen and even more with the CB mattress.

As for your TV, your downside is going to be payload if you go with that 2.7 F150 and decide to ever go up to a 25' or larger in the future...consider your options for sure, but don't short change yourself. Many here have been there...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:46 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Bed-making is a snap (actually a zipper) with a Beddys.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:25 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Lyme , Connecticut
These Plano totes work the best for my stuffClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4867.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	558.1 KB
ID:	405510
seldencove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:20 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not to take winds out of sales, but if you have not been in a CB model, nor slept in the bed with two, you should at least try the bed with 2. Our first AS was a 2006, Safari 25'CB...that lasted a little over a year before moving to a 2008 Twin model...CB bed way too small for 2 of us at 48" wide! (and she did not like crawling over to get out nor making up the bed) (also, she hated the corner bath/toilet....just saying...when the wifes not happy...)
Second consideration, if your looking at a 23', consider the twin; (actually, in any model...twin has much more storage inside and outside.) Twin outside storage: The chocks, hoses, etc. can be stored in the twin's outside cubby's, no matter which size AS you end up with, saving TV storage space. -twin gives you great extra outside/inside storage. (plus, you each get 4" extra sleeping surface with the twin vs the queen and even more with the CB mattress.

As for your TV, your downside is going to be payload if you go with that 2.7 F150 and decide to ever go up to a 25' or larger in the future...consider your options for sure, but don't short change yourself. Many here have been there...

I just want to know about containers. My sails are fine.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
As mentioned, regardless of how clever you get with storage techniques, the payload limits with most of the F150 configurations are surprisingly low with many combinations actually less than midsize trucks like my Canyon. After adding tongue weight and passengers, you can maybe have one cooler with ice and drinks, seriously. I don't get it, but that is what the labels say.

I don't know how yours is configured but when I pulled up Canyon payload specs, most of the ranges were 150-200 lbs less than my available payload. I'm pretty sure I can carry more than an ice cube.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:54 AM   #48
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, if you want to go insane and keep everything nice and shiny, these:

https://alubox.com

are an option. You can get them in multiple sizes. Working out which ones fit with the others can be a bit exciting ( hint: start with the 42L and go from there ...).

No, they most certainly aren't cheap.

Essentially water tight, dust tight, bug tight, raccoon proof, should slow down a bear ... did I mention shiny like your Airstream

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:10 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Ok, if you want to go insane and keep everything nice and shiny, these:

https://alubox.com

are an option. You can get them in multiple sizes. Working out which ones fit with the others can be a bit exciting ( hint: start with the 42L and go from there ...).

No, they most certainly aren't cheap.

Essentially water tight, dust tight, bug tight, raccoon proof, should slow down a bear ... did I mention shiny like your Airstream

Bob

That’s a cool a$$ link! Surely too rich for my blood, it’s overkill and will be heavier than plastic… BUT I’m going to play around with that configuration app. It looks too awesome to pass up 🤣

Cheers,
Old 10-06-2021, 08:10 AM   #50
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
That’s a cool a$$ link! Surely too rich for my blood, it’s overkill and will be heavier than plastic… BUT I’m going to play around with that configuration app. It looks too awesome to pass up 🤣

Cheers,
Hi

They really aren't all that heavy. They have *massive* weight limits on most of them so you can pack all those random chunks of cast iron and bring them along. Coming up with an overloaded truck is trivial using them ...... that was part of the plan ... right?

The next layer past the cool app is that not all of them are easy to find in the US. Again, stick with 42L and vary a bit up and a bit down in that series. They seem to be what the US distributors stock.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:31 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Between the farm and woodworking, I have a bunch of different styles of these plastic cargo boxes. I use the Plano Sportsman's trunks in various sizes the most. The largest ones have wheels on one of the long sides. They all close and stack securely, have a decent sidewall shape, comfortable carrying, and are pretty bomb proof (I have no issue using them as a step stool or chair). They are more-or-less weatherproof but can be fully sealed with a roll of rubber insulation.

I like the home center black/yellow boxes for simple storage, but use the plano boxes for travel. The ones I like least are the Action Packers. They have a devoted following but I don't like the way they stack and the angle of their sidewalls wastes a lot of space. I've also had them crack a few times, which has never happened with the Planos.

Another good idea for small stuff are ammo cans. I buy the small plastic ones that are brightly colored for things like hitching tools or first aid kits, but they make larger ones also.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
A Genius and Common Sense, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by grwalk View Post
Mike crates work great for me. They are stackable and you can see what’s inside of them.
Fit well in the bed of our F350 with shell. Standard milk crates will hold five/six gallon water containers from WalMart (blue ones).

'Mike Crates' are more exclusive. I like the cheap Milk Crates... come in various colors and Milk suppliers embossed on the sides. "Return to or Property of...." mostly out of business suppliers, today.

The longer milk crate I remove the Equalizer Hitch and lay it into the crate. It is stable, does not roll and trash your truck bed. (Get the heavy dealer truck mat.)

Get a Foot Locker to store tools and other items. Make it hard to get to with the Milk Crates in front of it... to deter hit and take thieves.

...and you can see what is in a crate. Grease container, rags, paper towels, stash of crisp $20 bills... propane tanks fit in the standard size and can be secure with nylon rope to the side of the truck bed with the brackets. Also alongside the Foot Locker.

Plastic? After a couple trips in the back of a pickup... trashed. Often the stuff you want to haul is worth a lot less than some special expensive storage system.

Where to find GOOD OLD SOLID 'milk crates'? Antique shops for up to $5, garage sales for a $1... get inventive. Your neighbor may be ready to toss theirs out.

They fit on top of one another, best. Stack if needed to make room for more unwanted junk being hauled.

If you need fancy and expensive... ignore this post. I have been using them for forty thousand years... more or less.

The aluminum Foot Locker... WWII. Found at a garage sale in the late 1970's A.D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0210.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	405620  
Old 10-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dry Branch , Georgia
truck bin

Tractorsupply.com