Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #1
Jerry & Suzanne

2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
O Fallon , Alabama
Need opinion on best airstream.

I am in the process of looking at new 27 ft airstreams. My delima which is the best camper the 27 International or the Globetrotter.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
All that matters is which is the best Airstream for you.

We chose the Globetrotter because we preferred the decor. We didn't like the orange in the serenity. We loved the grey in the Globetrotter. We preferred the wood floor in the International, but not enough to overlook the other decor. And mostly, we did not like the sliding overhead cabinet doors on the International and wanted the lift-up doors on the Globetrotter. We also like the lines of the couch and table seating without the extra cushions, although storing all the cushions in the Globetrotter takes up storage space. We decided to only bring the table cushions on long trips and store them in the back of the closet.

Hope this helps you decide which 27' Airstream is right for you.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Wish I was faced with your dilemma. Air Miles was spot on, the one you like will be the best for you.

I think the Globetrotter would be my first choice. I like everything about them except the need to cart around those extra cushions if you want to make a sleeping area. 99% of our trips are the solo kind so I could adjust but if you plan on the kids or grandkids a lot......?

The Internationals do not interest me for the same reason already mentioned. I do not like the sliding storage doors. Personally I would prefer the Flying Cloud.

27 is a great size. Enjoy your hunt.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
I am in the process of looking at new 27 ft airstreams. My delima which is the best camper the 27 International or the Globetrotter.
We have owned 4 now over past 12 years; 3 different model/year 25's and now a have a 2017 28' Flying Cloud, also purchased new 3 years ago. We prefer the twin models with more room for changing and moving around, outside storage compartments, and also more sleeping area vs the queen models. We also liked the separate couch and dinette eating area for lounging. If you have 3-4 folks over for socializing and want to watch TV or play board games, this model works well, vs the long loung in the 25' or 27' models. Really is a personal preference...go to a dealer and spend some time in each model imagining how you would be using yours. Look closely at each model; sometimes more money does not mean better functionality....example; the 28' International model does not have extra storage above the dinette like the Flying Cloud model offers. Also the International model has sliding doors plastic doors to cabinets in kitchen areas....to us, although lighted to see what is in there, accessing the cabinets with a lift up door makes loading/unloading easier. Flying Cloud and Globetrotter models have the lift doors.

Globetrotter is extremely nice! (but not available in a 28'...yet
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
We went with the International Serenity because of the floor plan of the 28'. Like the lounge area. After that I think it is up to personal tastes. The one thing I like about the sliding doors is I don't have to worry about latches and hinges breaking. They stay in place. Also you can turn on the lights in the cabinets to get a kind of warm feeling in the cabin. We also like the ultra leather. It is easier to keep clean although more expensive. And in the model we bought we liked all the windows. We also like the light interior that we have. It makes things seem bigger. Dark paneling etc is not something we wanted.

As stated above no right choice except for you. Sit in one and get the feel of it. There are always pros and cons.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Everything gypsydad said.
We have owned six Airstreams including this 27 FB Twin.(Actually a 28)
It's the best ever and feels more spacious than the two 31 footers we have owned.
This is because the twins give you more floor space for changing clothes and moving around, while the spacious dinette can accommodate four adults for playing cards.
Best one yet.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
As above it’s you’re decision, it we went International because of the sliding doors and decor. It personal at this level no bad choice.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Reno , NV
We went with the international over the Globetrotter because my wife didn't like the back cushions on the dinette and to make the dinette into a bed and the pull out couch to a bed you need to carry extra cushions. Otherwise, I like the colors and materials better in the GT. The sliding cabinet doors were the biggest strike on the International, but they're fine.
Runs_4_beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a *lot* of models in the "sort of 27 foot" range. Indeed the model designations get a bit confusing in that vicinity. Bottom line is that they all are close enough in size / weight to be same/same as far as towing or fitting here or there.

They most certainly are *not* same/same in terms of layout. What works for me may not work for you. Head over to a dealer who has inventory of a number of models in that range. Spend some quality time (like a day or two) hopping between models. Sit here / sit there. Try this / try that. If possible bring whatever the "whole crew" will be. There is no way to work out what "fits" best without direct comparison.

If colors are a big issue (they are to some and that's fine), you probably will not be able to find every model in every color package on a lot anywhere. There *will* be a bit of imagination required to sort that out.

No, none of this directly addresses your choices. I happen to like the Globetrotter a bit more, but that's just me.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
You can always pick color, floor style and fabric. Yes, it may take time before you get the perfect choice.

If in rush, pick the one that brings you smile when you enter an AS. If it brings excitement to your eyes, your heart beat faster, then this is IT. You gonna need to enter the other one to confirm your first excitement.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There are a *lot* of models in the "sort of 27 foot" range. Indeed the model designations get a bit confusing in that vicinity. Bottom line is that they all are close enough in size / weight to be same/same as far as towing or fitting here or there.

They most certainly are *not* same/same in terms of layout. What works for me may not work for you. Head over to a dealer who has inventory of a number of models in that range. Spend some quality time (like a day or two) hopping between models. Sit here / sit there. Try this / try that. If possible bring whatever the "whole crew" will be. There is no way to work out what "fits" best without direct comparison.

If colors are a big issue (they are to some and that's fine), you probably will not be able to find every model in every color package on a lot anywhere. There *will* be a bit of imagination required to sort that out.

No, none of this directly addresses your choices. I happen to like the Globetrotter a bit more, but that's just me.

Bob
Of course Bob, you do know, the "cat's meow" would be the couch like in your 30 Classic, combined with the kitchen/countertops in the Globe Trotters, and the shower/bath set up in the 33 Classic, with the Alde, all in the layout of a 28' model! Signe me up!

Actually, a GT 28' would work for us also...if there were one..
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 10-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
We love our 25 FBT International serenity floor plan. Feels like a 27 FT. Gives us all that added floor space.
Did not like the color-cushions of the upholstery ,wanted Corian that match the kitchen Corian, & cabinetry covering refrigerator. Ultimate Airstream brought our vision to a reality. They did an amazing job for us .New Corian, new table, Large vessel sink-bathroom,graphite upholstery. Cost less than a new serenity today.
Tows like a dream and we’ve been able to go in all of the parks with no problem regarding size. Think about use - personal aesthetic’s. You can’t go wrong. welcome to the Airstream community. We have met the most awesome folks through Airstream. Pick what you believe will work best. And check out Ultimate Airstream website they really can make your Airstream dreams come true.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Cypress , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
As others have said, it's personal to you. I tried to envision all possible scenarios that each model would give us and we feel we made the best choice possible with a 2017 27FB International Serenity. The combination of the white interior, colors, and sliding (lighted) cabinets drew us to the model. At night, the lighted cabinets add a nice theme to our trailer. Also, the twin beds were reluctantly a hit in the end! We are about to live in it full time and are so excited to live the Airstream Full-time Lifestyle. We have our eye on the 30 Classic next, but not for a few years.... Good luck.
milestorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #14
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Personal choice but in my case the wife all rules...
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
the 26 RBT is our favorite layout. More storage outside than any other Airstream. The bathroom is all in one room. The interior is a really comfortable.
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Of course Bob, you do know, the "cat's meow" would be the couch like in your 30 Classic, combined with the kitchen/countertops in the Globe Trotters, and the shower/bath set up in the 33 Classic, with the Alde, all in the layout of a 28' model! Signe me up!

Actually, a GT 28' would work for us also...if there were one..
Hi

The "sell point" on the Classic for us was the comfort of the recliner seating. Put that in a wider range of models and the choice would have been far more difficult. A 27' done that way *would* be very possible .....

Indeed, after three seasons with the trailer, I'd say that if we are sitting in the trailer, that's where we are 95% of the time. The dinette seating just isn't as useful to us.

For somebody else, none of that may matter. They would (rightly) focus on what mattered to them.

Bob
Old 10-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Hi

The "sell point" on the Classic for us was the comfort of the recliner seating. Put that in a wider range of models and the choice would have been far more difficult. A 27' done that way *would* be very possible .....

Indeed, after three seasons with the trailer, I'd say that if we are sitting in the trailer, that's where we are 95% of the time. The dinette seating just isn't as useful to us.

For somebody else, none of that may matter. They would (rightly) focus on what mattered to them.

Bob
Envy you...we still are drooling over that couch!
Old 10-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #18
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwayne View Post
the 26 RBT is our favorite layout. More storage outside than any other Airstream. The bathroom is all in one room. The interior is a really comfortable.
Second the vote for the 26 RBT. I was ready to pull the trigger on a 27 until I saw the bathroom in the 26. Love it.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:13 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Envy you...we still are drooling over that couch!
Hi

If you talk to our dog, he'll probably box it up and ship it to you. Raising the foot rests on the recliners significantly impacts his ability to sleep lying on people's feet. Needless to say, this is a significant issue for all 100 pounds of him

Bob
Old 10-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Hi

If you talk to our dog, he'll probably box it up and ship it to you. Raising the foot rests on the recliners significantly impacts his ability to sleep lying on people's feet. Needless to say, this is a significant issue for all 100 pounds of him

Bob
Our neighbor here at Alumalina, has a new 30' Classic...they had the same 28!' FC we have...and wife finally said, "I hate the cushions on this couch"! which he said, cost him a tidy upgrade sum, to get the new "couch" which came with a new 30' Classic! (unfortunately, my wife also heard this...) Not sure what the future holds for a solution with our 28' couch...hope it's not more $$...