Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
Natchez , Where the Old South Lives
1960 Overlander Whatzit?

I have a 1960 Overlander and would like to know what the 3 prong female plug on the curb side lower front panel next to the water tank filler cap is also where is the water pump located? Is there any info on specific to my year model of brakes on the axles ,I was told one is hydraulic the other is electric .
Thanks Natchezbear
NatchezBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
It's a charging line for the battery.

You probably have an air compressor instead of a water pump. The air compressor pressurized the water tank so no pump was needed.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1960 Overlander Whatzit?

Greetings NatchezBear!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatchezBear View Post
I have a 1960 Overlander and would like to know what the 3 prong female plug on the curb side lower front panel next to the water tank filler cap is also where is the water pump located? Is there any info on specific to my year model of brakes on the axles ,I was told one is hydraulic the other is electric .
Thanks Natchezbear
Through the early 1960s, it wasn't terribly unusual to find a coach with tandem axles having hydraulic brakes on one axle and electric brakes on the other. The hydraulic brakes were designed to tap directly into the tow vehicle's brake lines. My 64 Overlander came with this setup (the original owners switched it to all electric in 1967 when they upgraded from their 1957 Mercury tow vehicle to a new 1967 Mercury Monterey). I was told that the dual system permitted the trailer to be towed by older tow vehicles that didn't have the controller for electric brakes; and was also told that the electric brakes were used as a backup to the hydraulics.

Originally, the coach didn't have the 7-wire connectors that we use today. There was a separate connector just for the 12-volt electric charge line according to the information that I have.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
NatchezBear,
Do you know if your Overlander is California or Ohio built? Looking at your pictures on your Airforums blog, are you talking about the power cord on the street side? I know you said in your blog that a PO has made some modifications-like installing a 110v only water heater.

On my '61 Overlander, Ohio built, the only outside female electric plug is on the curb side, built into the side and my shore power cord is on the same side. There is no power cord or plug by my water tank filler(which is on the street side). My Overlander has the original galvanized steel pressurized water tank and the water pump(air pump) is under the kitchen sink cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Topsail 5.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	66020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Topsail 3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	66021  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream6.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	66022  
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Can you handle the truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
It's a charging line for the battery. ...
That was pretty weak.

Airstream designers in the early years investigated a variety of ways of getting the enthusiast to his camp site as quickly as possible. Your Airstream was one of a select few fitted with an energy pattern dematerialization/rematerialization device. The only insurmountable problem was that the required Heisenberg compensators had to be external to the coach. You found the external connector.

Early journals show that the device transported objects in real time, accurate to the quantum level. A 1959 memo specifies the length of a transport under unusual circumstances would last "... four or five seconds; about twice the normal time". This calculates the length of a typical transport as between 2 and 2.5 seconds and possibly less. Heisenberg compensators remove uncertainty from the subatomic measurements, making transporter travel feasible. Further technology involved in transportation include a computer pattern buffer to enable a degree of leeway in the process.

When asked "How does the Heisenberg compensator work?" by Time magazine, Airstream's Chief Engineer Michael Okuda responded, "It works very well, thank you."

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
. . . Heisenberg compensators remove uncertainty from the subatomic measurements, making transporter travel feasible. Further technology involved in transportation include a computer pattern buffer to enable a degree of leeway in the process. . .

Tom
After consideration of the thermal entanglements of a two-qubit Heisenberg XY chain in the presence of the Dzyaloshinskii–Moriya anisotropic antisymmetric interaction, I have concluded that the third prong of the Heisenberg compensator plug was not required for teleportation within the Einsteinian universe. By the concept of concurrence, it is found that the effects of spin–orbit coupling on the entanglement are different from those of spin–spin model. This requires un-entanglement of the shore power cord.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Uh, Tom...Don...maybe you guys oughta cut back on the caffeine!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Yeah, but you forgot to mention something

Quote:
After consideration of the thermal entanglements of a two-qubit Heisenberg XY chain in the presence of the Dzyaloshinskii–Moriya anisotropic antisymmetric interaction, ...
Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interactions are in high-symmetry single molecule magnets with 2-4 magnetic ions per cluster. When the Moriya rules allow it, such as when an ionic bond does not contain a center of inversion, these interactions can lead to interesting observable effects, including the presence of an electric polarization driven by an applied magnetic field, and associated multiferroic behaviors. Kim & I will present our results for tetramers with the common S$_4$ molecular group symmetry, and for other ultrasmall single molecule magnets.

Tom
Old 08-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Uh, Tom...Don...maybe you guys oughta cut back on the caffeine!

Shari
But it makes for some interesting reading...
Old 08-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
. . . Kim & I will present our results for tetramers with the common S$_4$ molecular group symmetry, and for other ultrasmall single molecule magnets.

Tom
That's a very challenging endeavor, as my prior theoretical-experimental study of the correlation effects in the electronic structure of (pyH)$_3$[Mn$_4$O$_3$Cl$_7$(OAc)$_3$]$\cdot$2MeCN molecular magnet (Mn$_4$) showed this is impossible! Describing the many-body effects by cluster dynamical mean-field theory, we found that Mn$_4$ is predominantly Hubbard insulator with strong electron correlations. The calculated electron gap (1.8 eV) agrees well with the results of optical conductivity measurements, while other methods, which neglect many-body effects or treat them in a simplified manner, do not provide such an agreement. Strong electron correlations in Mn$_4$ may have important implications for possible future applications, including bi-linked Henschen axle deformation corrections.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Ahah!

Quote:
That's a very challenging endeavor, as my prior theoretical-experimental study ... showed this is impossible! Describing the many-body effects by cluster dynamical mean-field theory, we found that ... for possible future applications, including bi-linked Henschen axle deformation corrections.
Yes, but I read your white paper, Mr. Doane. It appears your grad assistant NEGELCTED TO BALANCE THE RUNNING GEAR!

Professor Rogozinski of the Corona Institute has repeatedly stated in a number of Airstream papers that proper running gear balance IS KEY to proper Airstream operation.

I propose that the plug wiggled out of the outlet during your thesis due to unquantified forces acquired while attaining 88 miles per hour!

Tom
Old 08-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
WELL!

That may be, but since we're well into our first 12-pack, and it is after 5 on Friday, I guess I'll have to take that up with him on Monday.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Mutual truce

Quote:
WELL!

That may well be, but since we're well into our first 12-pack, and it is after 5 on Friday, I guess I'll have to take that up with him on Monday.
Fair enough!

Tom
Old 08-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
And anyway, my '59 has a leaf spring axle
Old 08-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Awesome.

Simply awesome.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
Natchez , Where the Old South Lives
Is it possible to buy this plug and a pig tail to match new or are they obsolete?
NatchezBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Not sure about the plug, mine is 7-prong to work the brakes, brake lights, running lights, etc. I have an original type-size battery from Interstate on the front of my AS. The TV charges the battery while towing the trailer. I'm sure your Overlander is like mine, two completely separate electric systems, 110v & 12v, no univolt. I know you want to hook to your TV's 12v to run the 12v in your AS, but why not install a battery? You would not need a converter/charger.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1960 Overlander Whatzit?

I did a little more research, and the following seems to be true for the early (pre-Univolt and Post-International option) Airstreams. If the coach was a Land Yacht, the battery wasn't standard, and the separate cable for the 12-volt charge/supply line for the tow vehicle was provided on these coaches. If the coach had the International package (Land Yacht International), the coach came equipped prepared for the battery and it appears that the separate 12-volt supply/charge adapter wasn't included which resulted in a charge line being incorporated into the regular ambilical cord.

I don't know whether the original style male end for your female connector is still available. My suspicion is that a well-equipped marine supply store may be more apt to carry such a connector than an RV store. A similar sized modern connector is available and could be adapted to perform the same function.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
The original six pin plug and socket could be replaced with modern six pin connectors, but you may be better off switching to the modern standard 7 pin plug.

The original connections were:

Red - left directional signal
Green - running lights
Blue - Brakes
Black - stop signal
Yellow - right directional signal
White - Ground

If you upgrade, you may combine the brake and directional signals, which frees up one line that can become the charging line. Then you don't need to use the little twist-loc female socket that began this thread.

If you want to stick with the old method, send me your fax number and I will fax you the wiring diagram.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Sorry to hijack your thread earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatchezBear View Post
Is it possible to buy this plug and a pig tail to match new or are they obsolete?
NatchezBear,

Member markdoane IS one of the good guys. Take advantage of his above offer - he CAN help your effort.

Tom

Tags
1960, 1960 overlander