Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Just an observation. I don't think many that live on the West Coast are wanting to go to JC to have a problem fixed. My guess is 4.000 to 5,000 miles round trip.

Maybe we should only buy an Airstream if we live in East. Or maybe Airstream could set up a Central service area in Colorado or somewhere else in the center of the country.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
You’re not wrong. We have the benefit of full timing in our rig. It also certainly can’t be the universal answer to drive it back to where it was made. I too am just observing that JC has always done a great job and dealers are hit or miss. Maybe part of the answer is finding a new service center if the current one can’t get the problem fixed. Fool me once, shame on you. Food me twice, shame on me.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post

I'm a believer that there is no perfect trailer. Everything could work coming off of the line and the first tow by the transit company is the actual first time everything gets shaken up and stirred in a blender.

I can accept that to a point. However, the same problems are mirrored across so many trailers for so very many years (just read the threads here), so either they are not engineered correctly for their application, they are assembled poorly or they are using inferior parts. Sure a couple of trailers every now and then, but so many have the exact same problems, it's hard to push that all on the first transit.

There is another thing too. How many folks that had/have a bad servicing dealer take their $100k investment hundreds if not thousands of miles for repair to a good dealer or the factory. At 10-15mpg, are you getting reimbursed? If still working, are you burning up 5-10 days (depending on distance traveled) to get your $100k trailer fixed? Any how many issues reappear after resolution? Again, are you being reimbursed? My guess is little to no reimbursement, and if working burning your vacation time to get your purchase to work as intended....and what about a good servicing dealer that keeps your $100k investment on the lot waiting for repair during peak camping season? You leave your $100k Airstream at the dealer and go pitch a tent that season while you wait for them to eventually get to your $100k RV, get if fixed, and/or wait for parts till they can get it fixed? Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't seem very customer focused when you are around the $100k mark. I can think of few things I've purchased at that price point where I tolerate that kind of process. Yet with Airstream, it's just kinda of part of the perks of ownership and is generally accepted as a normal part of doing business/ownership?
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
All RVs have the general shakedown issue. I would assume that if these trailers were built to the specs of cars (which typically don’t have shakedown issues) that the price would be even more. I’m just assuming here because these diesel trucks cost more than some RVs on the road.

I’d rather compare my RV experience to owning a yacht than owning a home/car. You hear the boat industry is a bottomless pit because things are constantly breaking or need routine maintenance. At least I didn’t spend $500k for my airstream and I don’t have to sail it half way around the world to get warranty work done.

Just my .02

I appreciate the dialogue!

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Hmmm. Sorry to hear, was all your service experience with the dealer or did you make it out to JC at some point during warranty?

We have had numerous dealer services and our warranty expires December of this year. I’ve already called JC and gave them 3 reoccurring items and they set me up for an appointment in April of next year to address them under warranty.

As I said, in my personal experience. Airstream will go above and beyond to stand behind their trailers.
I'm looking for another dealer, the two I'v used I don't trust anymore. After all my complaining I feel they don't care to keep me.

As I've said your AS experience is now the same as mine. I don't doubt others have had trouble free trailers and great dealer experiences but that not me.

I have started seeking out other trailer service people and learning how to fix and trouble shoot thing myself.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
I can accept that to a point. However, the same problems are mirrored across so many trailers for so very many years (just read the threads here), so either they are not engineered correctly for their application, they are assembled poorly or they are using inferior parts. Sure a couple of trailers every now and then, but so many have the exact same problems, it's hard to push that all on the first transit.

There is another thing too. How many folks that had/have a bad servicing dealer take their $100k investment hundreds if not thousands of miles for repair to a good dealer or the factory. At 10-15mpg, are you getting reimbursed? If still working, are you burning up 5-10 days (depending on distance traveled) to get your $100k trailer fixed? Any how many issues reappear after resolution? Again, are you being reimbursed? My guess is little to no reimbursement, and if working burning your vacation time to get your purchase to work as intended....and what about a good servicing dealer that keeps your $100k investment on the lot waiting for repair during peak camping season? You leave your $100k Airstream at the dealer and go pitch a tent that season while you wait for them to eventually get to your $100k RV, get if fixed, and/or wait for parts till they can get it fixed? Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't seem very customer focused when you are around the $100k mark. I can think of few things I've purchased at that price point where I tolerate that kind of process. Yet with Airstream, it's just kinda of part of the perks of ownership and is generally accepted as a normal part of doing business/ownership?
H! My last dealer service appointment luckily didn't require a long drive but a long wait. The had the trailer for about 30 days, 10 days past the time they said it was going to be ready and past the date we planned to leave on a trip. After the 30 days they call to say they would be getting started with the work in the next few days. "What? You haven't even looked at it?" Over a week later it was done and when we got it back the refrigerator didn't work, the batteries had failed and the quality of workmanship was not what I expected for an AS dealer.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:38 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Estes Park , Colorado
Update

Update. No words from the dealer in Colorado that our trailer has made it to the top of the queue. When I took it in a month ago and we did the “walk through “ the dealer stated “the whole shower unit will have to be removed to see the extent of the water damage and parts ordered. The entire wet wall needs to be replaced after we find out where the water leak is coming from.”

I’ll let everyone know what the dealer says.
Mike0392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech View Post
H! My last dealer service appointment luckily didn't require a long drive but a long wait. The had the trailer for about 30 days, 10 days past the time they said it was going to be ready and past the date we planned to leave on a trip. After the 30 days they call to say they would be getting started with the work in the next few days. "What? You haven't even looked at it?" Over a week later it was done and when we got it back the refrigerator didn't work, the batteries had failed and the quality of workmanship was not what I expected for an AS dealer.

I get the boat comparison, but even with a boat during peak season, unless I blow the engine or have major internal engine damage, I've not be without my boat for 60+ days, which I am sure ProTech was without his trailer that long after they finally got to it, and then had to deal with even more issues afterward.

If anyone cares to do a search, one can find many of these same issue found across the model lines. Sure I could accept that some trailers have random problems during the initial trip from the factory to the dealer-- it happens. But I don't think after having read the problems (from so very many owners) on this forum, I can say with confidence that the issues are that simple to dismiss. My take, for what it's worth is that:

1) The dealers network is not trained or staffed sufficiently

2) Similar problems found and being reported are either not being addressed from an engineering standpoint or the line folks are just being lazy.

Either of these could very quickly be remedied by the factory being assertive. Heck, there is six sigma and ISO, none of which Airstream or any other RV builder seems to care to take part in, yet they have no problem putting a $100k MSRP out there.

In the end, it is us, the customer that enables this behavior when we buy a unit that falls short of the advertising. How do we know if it falls short? Only after we plunk down between $75k and $150k, then have to spend time and money to correct issues that in many cases should have been engineered out, better built/QC process.

I my opinion, unless you are getting half the RV re-skinned, 60+ days is a travesty in my book.

I know my thoughts seem anti-Airstream, but I need to say that they are not, but I must also share that I too spent far more time and money than I should have to get a product (my Airstream) to perform as advertised. I can think of few things at this price point where one would accept these issues.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Airstreams are built like crap.

And good luck with those teenagers at a dealer repairing your trailer.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #30
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech View Post
What more would you like? Our biggest problem was pointed out to the dealer on our first service, two months after delivery. The closet door was not closing right, the adjusted the hinges. The problem got worse and the next visit the did it again. They never tried to figure out the problem that was Huse getting worse and worse until everything thing made a major shift. They pushed this problem off until the warranty had expired. It cost me a bundle to fix and will never be right. We had solar panels fail within warranty and they charged labor to fix them, $720. I can go on an on. Letter go un answered. It’s a 2017 so I guess it’s to be expected. Sure people have had Airstreams with few problems but if you do have problems the dealer isn’t going to try to hard.

Microwave started falling out first trip
River count - 28 in two years
Failed furnace
Failed AC control board
TV antenna wire fail
Countless loose screws
Overhead cabinets sagging
Solar panels
Closet shifting
Batteries dead 2 years

This is some of the problems we’ve had with the most expensive trailer brand.
If the 2017’s have known quality issues the the warranty should be extended.
Hi ProTech,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you have had. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you.*
Old 12-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #31
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
I just walked around the outside of a 2020 33fb at the dealership in Baton Rouge.

The battery box top wouldn't open because it hit the hinge at the bottom of the front storage door.

The bottom half of the entry door did not conform to the curve of the door frame... the bottom corner stuck out at least a half inch - enough to make me wonder if it was watertight.

I didn't look inside - it was locked and I didn't have time to talk to a sales person.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:48 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Estes Park , Colorado
Update;
Dealer finally got my classic in the door. No report when and what’s done.. I’ll report when I get an update
Old 12-05-2019, 07:29 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Mike,

Sorry to hear about the major issues with your new Classic. We just took delivery two weeks ago on the same model. The dealer spent 3 days working on a two page hit list. Thankfully no water leaks. We do have the door gap problem so I am curious to hear how that turns out for you. The dealer would not work on it as they were afraid of popping rivets. I have scheduled a factory service in March to address this along with a few other issues: large gap in rear lower quarter panel between the trim and the frame, a couple of the multiplex light buttons will not go off, bedroom night stand is severely sloped toward the front such that the drawer will slam shut on your hand, CZone does not connect to the WiFi, front of travel seems out of level to the rest of the trailer, door lock is difficult to unlock, and several other smaller issues. Again, this after 3 days at the dealer!

Yes, it is a lot, especially given the price! That said, we just traded a Newmar New Aire for our Classic. The $400k motor coach had many more issues. However, Newmar did fix everything and even reimbursed me for my travel costs. I just hope that Airstream stands behind their product just as much as Newmar does. So far I have been very pleased with Airstream's phone support. Actually better than Newmar's.

A word of caution on winterizing with the Alde system - our manual is incorrect. It has the diagram and instructions for the 30' Classic, which is plumbed entirely different. Airstream sent me the correct diagram and instructions. I'm new at forums and have not figured out how to attach the drawing.

Best of luck. We have thoroughly enjoyed our Classic and do not regret trading in a luxury motor coach for the Airstream.
BryonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #34
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Bryon which lock is difficult. If it is the lock for the handle, not the deadbolt, pull off the inside cover and spray some silicone or Tri-Flo on the moving parts especially the little disc/pin that you will see. That will 'loosen' up the bits and pieces and the lock will rotate much easier.

Surprised that a dealer doesn't know how to adjust the main door for fit.

And for Czone issues if the support line, Corey is the most knowledgeable about CZone, can't get you through successful trouble shooting better to take it back to the factory. I had a bad COI unit which controls most of the 12volt systems. Flashing control panel lights and circuits not turning on/off.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
See you in Jackson in March

[QUOTE=BryonJ;2313346] We do have the door gap problem

We have the same it leaks cold air horrible. We were told the door now closes nice which it does but the gap is unacceptable.

This will be trip three to get it right. We appreciate the service department and the pizza down the street in the brick house is outstanding.

You might miss your Newmar with the first hail storm,unless you enjoy a classic trailer looking like a GolfBall. Airstreams are a beautiful trailer that has a ugly side. They scratch and dent Very Easy. I’ve had to accept that reality fast.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:46 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Bryon which lock is difficult. If it is the lock for the handle, not the deadbolt, pull off the inside cover and spray some silicone or Tri-Flo on the moving parts especially the little disc/pin that you will see. That will 'loosen' up the bits and pieces and the lock will rotate much easier.

Surprised that a dealer doesn't know how to adjust the main door for fit.

And for Czone issues if the support line, Corey is the most knowledgeable about CZone, can't get you through successful trouble shooting better to take it back to the factory. I had a bad COI unit which controls most of the 12volt systems. Flashing control panel lights and circuits not turning on/off.
Thanks Gary.

It is the door handle lock and will give your suggestions a try. As for the door, the dealer was afraid of popping rivets. As for the CZone - I did talk to Corey. He was very helpful. We traced it to the device that connects the router to the Czone system. It's either wiring or a bad device - off to the factory for this one.

Bryon
Old 12-06-2019, 05:49 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
[QUOTE=Life is a Highway;2313551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonJ View Post
We do have the door gap problem

We have the same it leaks cold air horrible. We were told the door now closes nice which it does but the gap is unacceptable.

This will be trip three to get it right. We appreciate the service department and the pizza down the street in the brick house is outstanding.

You might miss your Newmar with the first hail storm,unless you enjoy a classic trailer looking like a GolfBall. Airstreams are a beautiful trailer that has a ugly side. They scratch and dent Very Easy. I’ve had to accept that reality fast.
Thanks. Hope the factory fixes the door as it should be.

Many pros and cons, but I won't miss the $2,500 annual service bills, $1,000 tires, and 6 mpg versus 12 mpg with my GMC 2500 HD.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:22 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Estes Park , Colorado
Hi all, Classic 33 report.
Dealer called. The shower plate has me sealant or gasket from the factory and water leaked into the wet wall when we took showers. The aisle side wood panel needs to be replaced.
2 power shades need to be replaced
Dead bolt needs to be replaced
Front window stone shield needs to be replaced
Shower control assembly needs to be replaced
They were working on the black tank sensors and the tank rinse
Loose screw on the Alde exhaust duct was the squeal when running on gas
Adjusted the entry door gap
Adjusted the bathroom door hinges
Let’s see how long it takes to get the parts from airstream

More to come
Old 12-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Bermuda dunes , California
Classic

We took delivery of our 2020 30 classic Nov 6 and so far we have had zero problems with unit.It has only been little over a month and we have put about
3000 miles on unit.I probably will have some things go bad in future but so far
So good.i would say that on delivery everything has worked like it was supposed
To.Quality control on this unit has been great.I think that these new units are very complicated and the average airstream mechanic won’t be able to fix
Properly
I am going to make appointment at Johnson center next may to take care of any warranty items that pop up.
I hope this post does not put a curse on me.
Just wanted to drop a line on my experience so far
Jim
James o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Anyone get a responds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi ProTech,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you have had. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you.*
Has anyone sent in info and gotten back a responds from this AirsteamInc. post? I haven't.