Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #21
AeroHead Aviation

2018 30' Classic
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Why not just turn off AC when heat is on? ... I’m confused why Airstream has to reengineer for future trailers. Having just the fire fly is part of the appeal to the 2018 to clean the walls up
You can certainly turn one off while the other is on. However, at this time of year where i live, the nights are still cold and days are relatively warm. So i keep the A/C 10 to 15 degrees higher than the Alde. Therefore, A/C during day and heat at night.
tjmartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog1 View Post
picking up out 2018 in a week and Im scared
I saw three being built on Thursday all had separate Alde panels, as did the four the previous day. I also talked on the phone with owners who picked theirs up on Tuesday and they had the separate Alde panel. If your getting the Classic twin just check and have the dealer install the support clip as in the pictures I posted. It worked on ours.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #23
Chuck & Molly

2018 30' Classic
Box Elder , South Dakota
Any suggestions on steps to get the Alde panel interior temp closer to reality? I know Alde and Firefly will differ, but Alde shows a current interior temp of 148 degrees while Firefly has it at 68.

Ours is a 2108 Classic manufactured in early October of 2017. We have the Firefly panel above the TV and the Alde panel behind galley sink. The Firefly panel had the wiring correction performed 10 days ago.

We woke up this morning to no radiant heat and an interior temp of 54 degrees. Using the old technique of turning all the Firefly heat settings off, adjusting the temp and then turning on the electrical & gas sources and radiant & water heat no longer worked. I drained the hot water tank and refilled it to restore the air cushion and made sure there was no air at any of the 7 or 8 bleed points. Still no heat.

I cleared everything out from the galley sink area and began investigating the Alde panel. It showed an interior temp of 154 degrees so obviously no heat is being called for. I didn't find a way to adjust the temperature so I reset the the system via the Service/Reset screen. After turning the boiler back on and restoring other settings the interior temp shows 148 degrees.

Thanks for your assistance. I hope we can find a fix and avoid two more cold Denver nights before the fine folks at JC and Windish RV are in on Monday.

Chuck
Old 04-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #24
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi cgunning,

We're sorry to learn about the issue you described in your 2018 30' Classic. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

We look forward to helping you get this resolved.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #25
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I don’t know if you have already done this but you may find that reading the Much Ado Alde thread beneficial. The reading you have stated sound an awful like the water temperature readings inside the boiler of the Alde (sanitary temperature) unit and not the actual room temperature readings or settings. Just a suggestion. Getting to know how the Alde system works takes a little time but once you get it working, you’ll love it.
Or, give Airstream a call and they can help you out.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Not at our trailer, but in the settings menu you have the ability to set the temp to better reflect actual temps. Not sure about the 148 reading but suspect that could be fluid temp in the boiler and not air temp
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunning View Post
<snip>
Ours is a 2108 Classic manufactured in early October of 2017. We have the Firefly panel above the TV and the Alde panel behind galley sink. The Firefly panel had the wiring correction performed 10 days ago.

<snip>

Chuck

I just put a deposit down on a 2018 Classic 30, with a build date in late December 2017, and have been reading these ALDE threads with great interest.

Chuck, when you say “ALDE panel behind galley sink” do you mean it’s inside the cabinet, or on the wall above and behind the sink?

According to the threads, It sounds like Airstream has changed back toward having both FireFly and ALDE panels easily accessible, as they were in the 2017’s. It’s unclear when they made the cutover. In any case I will find out how mine is configured on Wednesday when l pick it up!
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:21 AM   #28
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Steve, congratulations. Yes, AS has gone back to having the Alde panel separate from the firefly. Take you time with the walk through but since this is not your first AS focus on the Alde. Run the shower for 10 minuets to make sure your unit is set up right. Some dealers are doing a great job with the Alde, some aren’t. Check the Alde reservoir before leaving the lot. Much sure you have one or two extra bottles of the fluid. As long as the Alde system is set right you’re going to love the new rig. Nothing else like it. Safe travels.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2024 25' Trade Wind
Bothell , Washington
So, we just picked up our 2018 last Saturday. Not sure what the build date is as Airstream Adventures had the exact unit at one of their sister locations and moved it to Seattle for our pickup.

On our unit, the Alde control panel is under the kitchen sink in the cabinet. It’s accessible ans you almost have to stand on your head to read it and access the buttons.

Luckily, Kevin Perry at Airstream Adventures did a great job setting up and prepping the Alde system in our unit.

Chuck
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #30
Camping Dutchman

2018 33' Classic
Manchester center , Vermont
Firefly and Alde system

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmartini View Post
That is correct. This confused me for the first few days after taking ownership of my 2018. I was trying to control the Alde with the Firefly which now cannot be done. So temperature wise, the Firefly controls the Dometic AC and heat pump and the Alde control panel controls radiant heat and hot water. Be aware if you set the Firefly temp lower than the Alde temp, the Dometic AC will fight the Alde Heat. Not sure who wins.
I took deliver from a classic 33 ft, that is built in Jan. 2018. I only have one (firefly) panel, and not a Alde panel. I thought that they were separated on the new 2018 models, but clearly not?
Menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #31
Camping Dutchman

2018 33' Classic
Manchester center , Vermont
Found the alde panel. In my Jan. 2018 built unit it is in the bathroom, in a panel behind the door next to shower. Easy accessible and basically behind the firefly panel that is on the other side of wall.
Menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Full time rving , USA
Aldi 3020 issue

Hello fellow 2018 Classic Aldi users,
Have used our new unit since March 15, when we picked it up at dealership. Once we got it set up correctly, no issues. We are on a 3 month journey and up until yesterday, all ok. Now I cannot get heat or hot water. I have tried to troubleshoot, first thing I notice is that we are not getting the electric plug icon on the aldi panel. So I am thinking I do not have electric to the system. The breakers are not tripped. Are there other fuses someplace that would prevent electric to unit?
Any suggestions from the group?
Barry, somewhere in ND
BarryLCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:36 PM   #33
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLCole View Post
Hello fellow 2018 Classic Aldi users,
Have used our new unit since March 15, when we picked it up at dealership. Once we got it set up correctly, no issues. We are on a 3 month journey and up until yesterday, all ok. Now I cannot get heat or hot water. I have tried to troubleshoot, first thing I notice is that we are not getting the electric plug icon on the aldi panel. So I am thinking I do not have electric to the system. The breakers are not tripped. Are there other fuses someplace that would prevent electric to unit?
Any suggestions from the group?
Barry, somewhere in ND
Hi BarryLCole,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:24 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Weldon Spring , Missouri
2018 Airstream Classic 33TB Alde systems & panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post
Found the alde panel. In my Jan. 2018 built unit it is in the bathroom, in a panel behind the door next to shower. Easy accessible and basically behind the firefly panel that is on the other side of wall.

Hi Menno and fellow Alde/Firefly owners,
Bought my first Airstream. A Classic 33TB built in September '17 (I believe) and total nightmare. Took delivery in mid-June this year and has been at the dealership since. Alde hot water did not work, Firefly panel in bathroom did not work, Shower Boost did not work, (haven't tried the heat). Entertainment center did not work and I re-wired that and now works great. A third party used too short HDMI cables and with travel and road bounce, the end pins pulled out and bare wire.

My Alde tank is same place as yours Menno, (next to the shower). Fantastic dealer has been working on it since and now nearly mid-August. Replaced 4 control modules and now ordered a Com cable and another final control module. My sense is it will probably have to go back to Airstream for them to fix it. I called Customer service at Airstream and rep said they haven't had any problems with the systems as of July. Very disappointed.
starpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:43 AM   #35
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hi starpicker and welcome to the forum. Noticed this is just your second post, not to be a bummer but there are lots of threads regarding the the 33 footer, the Alde and the television. Unfortunately the fixes, adjustments, tweaks seem to be taking a rather long time to work out. If your dealer hasn’t been successful you may want to consider taking it to the factory service Center in Jackson Center. JC has the resources and experience with the 33 that smaller dealer service centers just don’t have. Most folks leave JC very happy.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:05 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by starpicker View Post

Bought my first Airstream. A Classic 33TB built in September '17 (I believe) and total nightmare. Took delivery in mid-June this year and has been at the dealership since. Alde hot water did not work, Firefly panel in bathroom did not work, Shower Boost did not work, (haven't tried the heat). Entertainment center did not work and I re-wired that and now works great. A third party used too short HDMI cables and with travel and road bounce, the end pins pulled out and bare wire.

My Alde tank is same place as yours Menno, (next to the shower). Fantastic dealer has been working on it since and now nearly mid-August. Replaced 4 control modules and now ordered a Com cable and another final control module. My sense is it will probably have to go back to Airstream for them to fix it. I called Customer service at Airstream and rep said they haven't had any problems with the systems as of July. Very disappointed.

Has anything been resolved or are all those things still issues? As the last comment suggested JC is a good bet. We have a 30ft Classic and didn’t have hot water for six weeks, but it turned out to just be a closed valve that needed to be open. We got most things working, but went for a service appt in July to get the upgraded Firefly panel. Now the panel is communicating correctly without us having to workaround it at times. The first time I pressed the shower boost after the fix, I didn’t get hot water. I found out later that the main Firefly panel was asking me which heat source I wanted electric or propane. It has worked since. I am still working on problems with the awning, but I can attest that things can work well.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Alde / Firefly issues

Hi ajwbarnard and Kendrick.l.j.,

Thank you both for the concern. The Alde/Firefly issues are still unresolved for quite some time and at the dealership. They tell me that a final upgrade Firefly module and "com" cable is coming in tomorrow or Tuesday.

I have done business before with this dealership on other brands and have found them to "bend over backwards" for the customer. So if the issues continue to be unresolved this week, we will see how they want to handle it.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #38
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by starpicker View Post

Hi starpicker,

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:51 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Dear Site Team,

I have been unable to reply to the above Airstream request because the system says I am not a "Trusted Member". I have tried email and don't get a reply either. I will try to call them tomorrow.......any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Talking Conversation with Customer Support and Alde/Firefly Saga

Hello All,

Had a nice conversation with Jon, a very nice Customer Support Rep regarding the Alde/Firefly issue.

On the dealer front, I thought I would pass along their findings. They think they have it solved, and I will spend the morning tomorrow testing. After throwing a number of panels and no communication with Alde, Jaime Tech Guru of the Year, found that after a month it was bad connectors. Now the thinking is the original panel was possibly fine, and if they use better connectors and it communicates with Alde, then at least this issue is resolved. So far, the replacement and the original communicate with the better connectors. (Such a small thing -- who knew?).

I don't know if this will help anyone else out there with Alde/Firefly Derangement Syndrome, but in my case it was something small but critical.