Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
Red face close to $ 4.00 a gallon for Gas ?

Is this changing anyones Airstream adventures this summer or ownership plans?
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's $4.25 here and yes, it is making me re-think some of the trips I was planning, and long term may effect my overall ownership of an RV since we also own a time share that gives away very low cost weeks and weekends beyond the normal allocated week or so we get normally.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by osolow
Is this changing anyones Airstream adventures this summer or ownership plans?
NOPE! Still headed West for the Summer and won't be back in FL 'till Late Oct.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Yes and no

It won't change our plans as far as trailer use, as we are fulltiming. It will, however put a damper on our plans to tow to other locales for weekends and vacations.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
No, we are going about our Airstream dreams, hating these really high fuel prices.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
We bought this more easily towable, more efficient travel trailer to help fight fuel costs a little! We're up 18% better mileage over the SOB in the first two small trips.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We are picking and choosing. Also, playing dot to dot rather than come back home after every event. Cost right now is about 1/3 more than last year for gas. Will fix our own meals in our trailer. Better food and service anyway.

What I'm wondering......IF RV travel does fall off significantly, will RV parks and campgrounds lower their prices to draw customers, or raise their prices to try and make up the difference?

My guess, private facilities will lower prices or give incentives. Federal, state and county facilities, not being red hot business people, will probably raise fees.

It will be interesting to see.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Close to $4? No, we're well past that. But it's not going to stop us. We only get out a few times a year anyway. It's just a few dollars more overall. It's still money well spent!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
It has been over $4 for while for me (diesel). It won't affect our travels. However, we have just changed my wife's 4Runner for a Camry Hybrid and it is fun.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:34 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Road Trips...

Last summer I finished up Maryland to Calif & return trip and on Oct 8, 2007 I posted these fuel stats for the trip:
--------------
Total Miles -- 8,568
Gas Burned -- 654 gals
Avg mpg -- 13.1
Avg cost/gal -- 2.95 (usually mid grade)
Avg miles driven per day -- 252
------------------

So, those 654 gals at last years $2.95 gal/average comes out to a fuel cost of $1,929 for the trip. At todays $4.00 gal/average the same trip would cost $ 2,616 for fuel, an increase of $ 686...

So, would I take the same trip again, sure. While I would bellyache about the cost each time I filled up, I wouldn't trade all the fun I had and all the sites I saw for the $686. It just does not compare. I went all thru the Southwest, the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, etc etc, places I had never been to. So I guess my point is to keep the big picture in mind and not be overly concerned with one item. When it comes time to "check out" of planet earth I think you will regret the things you didn't do, not the things you did... So my vote is to take our trips, just be smart about it and as several people have posted before just slowing down 5 mph will save you a noticeable amount of fuel. Slow back down to 55 mph for a tankful and just see how many miles extra you get.

see you on the road...

Dave & Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Canyon5.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	60834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Death Valley5.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	60835  

AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
No way.....I still plan to continue bringing Aunt Bee back to her original beautiful self and taking her on trips. I can do without some other things, like eating out for lunch every day. This country is too beautiful to just roll over and give up on......I plan on seeing it all
Old 05-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Fulltiming here and fuel is not yet high enough that it will make me change any of my plans.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #13
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Nope - we made our travel plans months ago and are going to stick to them. Our big trip is to Bozeman, and we have several shorter trips scheduled, too. I'll find other ways to save money.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Volcano , California
You only get one trip with this life thing, and I am not going to let fuel prices mess it up.
Zugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #15
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
California State Parks report reservations for first 5 months of 2008 up %200.
Fuel costs Appear to not be keeping folks home.
Then again maybe Californians are staying close to home.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
California State Parks report reservations for first 5 months of 2008 up %200.
Fuel costs Appear to not be keeping folks home.
Then again maybe Californians are staying close to home.
I'm thinking maybe people are staying closer to home, and using their RVs instead of motels. Motel owners are really going to get hammered over the higher fuel prices.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #17
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Right now regular pump your own is anywhere between $4.11 and $4.39 here. I consider that a bargin compared to what we all will be paying come July. Are we changing our AS plans, I don't think so. In fact it seems we keep adding additional trips everytime our WBCCI New England Unit newsletter comes out. As of today we have five rallies we are signed up for and that equals close to 3,000 miles of towing not counting the two nighters at local camp grounds we like to do on on rally weekends. We had originally planned on about $1,600 for gas for the season but that is changing everyday. Two round trip tickets business class from CT to CA is more than that so we are still way ahead of the curve.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Wow

Donna & I made the decision a long time ago to work near home. Not the most lucrative decision for our careers. Could have made more salary if we had wanted to spend a couple of hours in traffic a day. Seems like our proverbial chickens are comning home to roost. We could both bycycle to work if we had to give up driving. However, even with high gas prices, we will still be saving money and having more fun with our twink. Tempe to Yellowstone and back with our own kitchen and bathroom? - priceless!

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
High prices are causing me to budget my dreams. While I would like to go to Bozeman and the trip itself is no problem there is the matter of a 3400 mile round trip. Add the high cost rally fee and considering it is the busiest, hottest, most expensive time of the year to travel, I begin to consider all the many alternatives that might render more of the fun factor at the same or even lower cost. Even if we went in Fall to catch the great weather, the autumn colors and have more elbow room, for instance, we could stay an entire month at the Missoula Jellystone, a top rated RV park with full hook-ups and amenities for what the rally fee is with limited facilities and be located right in between Glacier Park and Yellowstone. So I am pretty certain the 4th of July International is a no-go for us until it's back towards this part of the country next year in Madison Wisconsin. I went to the Salem Oregon International and it cost dearly even back then. That may have been my one grand hurrah in fact, or at least until I feel confident that an expense of that magnitude is justified for the event. But it was a milestone for me and as such driving solo was an experience of a lifetime, that I would not take back for anything.

Getting out and traveling to new places is what I enjoy the most. So with fuel prices now, I am thinking that if I drive less and stay longer I will still enjoy myself but get more bang for the buck, though I wish my radius was near Oregon, California, Utah, or Wyoming! No more crossing country on just a whim or a dare though, I will enjoy more leisure and comfort. It may stream through the air, but it also makes a rather nice vacation cabin too.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I just got home today from a five week trip to Nebraska and Colorado to visit family. We debated about the advisability of going due to fuel costs but the "clock is ticking" and someday in the near future I'll not be able to do these trips (I'm 73 next month).

I do try to be more careful with my speed, more intelligent with my planning, etc. When we started, I determined to hold my speed to 2000 rpm (57 mph). I think it paid off. For the entire trip (a lot of miles in the mountains) I used 209.6 gallons of diesel at a cost of $913.10, which is 26.4 cents per mile.

My best towing mpg was the leg from Laramie, Wyoming to Grand Island, Nebraska; 20 gallons even for 412 miles, or 17.9 mpg. Lowest mpg was Boise to Cokeville, Wyoming-- 355 miles on 23.3, or 15.2 mpg. I paid a low of $4.00 on April 22, and a high of $4.90 on May 24 at Craig, Colorado.

We're already debating about whether or not to go for our normal fall trip to see the kids. We'll watch the trends, but as I said, the clock is ticking on this old man! I don't want to be sitting in my dottage with regrets! I haven't compared my total cost of camp fees, groceries, etc. with motel and restaurant costs. I know I still save a considerable amount, plus I prefer my wife's cooking and the privacy of my Airstream.

I made the trip with no mechanical problems at all and no driving problems. I just hope I will have the good sense to know when I no longer should be towing, due to advanced age.

Gene