Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2003, 01:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
The Gallon..

Hi All...
Just out of interest, here is the official difference between our gallon's, most of U will already know this, but if U don't. please feel to read on...

The USA gallon is abt 17% smaller than the Imperial gallon because of an accident of history dating back to b4 the American Revolution. The colonies used weights and measures that differed from place to place, as in England, because there were NO standard measures anywhere at that time. After Independence, they adopted the British WINE gallon of 231 cubic inches as standard. but in Britain there was also another gallon measure in daily use, the ALE gallon of 282 cubic inches. Confusion reigned until 1824, when an Act of Parliament laid down that the British Imperial gallon should be 277.42 cubic inches (* Based on the volume of 10 lbs weight of distilled water at room temperature *). The Americans chose NOT to follow suit, so their gallon remains about one-sixth SMALLER than ours.

So there we have it Folks...I personaly DON'T mind, as it may b less gallon 4 gallon, but U pay almost NOTHING 4 it...
Thank's 4 tuning in...and remember, if U want 2 kn the time...ask a policeman!!!! ...Chris.....
Old 08-14-2003, 02:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
So do you know how the Standard Measurment system came to be?
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 08:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Well in Texas I guess you would say.

"Ale partner, that's a nice 7 gallon hat your wearing there!"
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 12:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Ale 'ave a gallon...

Hi Guys...
The accident happened when a Maid spilt some wine, and decided to "top-it up" with BUD !!! ???...thus altering the liquids weight...
If it's light-ale, one could say that one feels a little " LIGHT-HEADED "....or if it is pale-ale..." Howdy PALE-FACE"
I know it's early in the morning Guys...I can't help it...LOL
Whatever U doin 2day, enjoy it...Chris.....
Old 08-15-2003, 07:53 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
The accident happened when a Maid spilt some wine, and decided to "top-it up" with BUD !!! ???...thus altering the liquids weight...
Reminds me of the time when a keg of beer rolled out of the upper floor window of the brewery and fell right on the head of the brewmaster, Bud, who happened to be standing on the loading dock at the time.

It didn't hurt Bud because it was light beer, but it sure made Bud wiser.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 12:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
On me HEAD...

Hi John,
...How U doin 2day, real fine I hope, When our eldest D/D was very young, she was helping put away the shoppin, she picked up the huge solid type CABBAGE an says "where do U want this puttin", in a flash I replied here Michelle..." ON me HEAD "...so she let this ruddy cabbage fly right across the room...yes U get the drift...I bet I saw MORE stars that day, than a week lookin up at the sky...LOL. There is STILL a dent in the wall where my head kissed it....
We went 2 the " BUD " part at Sea World, last year, it was GOOD...but as I was drivin ... say NO more...I saw the latest MINI car, trimmed out in the "BUD" colours...REAL COOL.
Well time 4a cup 'o tea...
Have a great W/End...Chris.....