Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2015, 12:02 AM   #61
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tot2learn View Post
I saw your post about that with the Lifeline 27s so I tried doing it that way first. It didn't work for me, unfortunately. These batteries were a 1/4" too wide.
I have seen variations in the battery boxes, as they are all hand made. Sorry that you had to do it the 'hard way' !
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:51 AM   #62
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Didn't work for me either, I had tried that too. It's because of the handles on the Interstates.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #63
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Gee, works with Lifelines......
Old 07-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #64
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I'm running cheapos until I get to Oregon to get Lithium from AM Solar. Then my battery box is going to be empty. :P
Old 07-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #65
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You'll be able to get them in FL after Nov 1 too.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 07-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #66
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I'm due for some batteries soon as well so I did some investigation. The Interstates are 12.75L x 6.75W x 9.5H while the Lifelines are 13.09L x 6.6W x 9.25H.

So the difference in width for two batteries is just over 1/4 inch. Not a whole lot but I guess it's critical if you need it.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #67
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Trojans are even bigger. 6.84W.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #68
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Looking into this further, 6V Lifelines are 10.28L x 7.06W x 9.63H.

My trailer isn't here so I can't measure the box size, but the stock group 24 Interstates fit and they are 11H x 6.875W x 9.5H.

Most find that the lid has to be raised (or bottom lowered) for these.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #69
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The lid has to be removed and a 1-1/2" riser inserted on the battery box rim if you plan to use Lifeline
GPL 4CT golf cart batteries.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 07-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #70
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
The lid has to be removed and a 1-1/2" riser inserted on the battery box rim if you plan to use Lifeline
GPL 4CT golf cart batteries.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Which must hinder access to the front hatch if you have one. Is it a lot or just minor?
Old 07-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #71
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Minor ................

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 07-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Thanks so much to MSMOTO for the advice and wonderful pictures. You recommend the PowerMax PM4B-60 from Bestconverter.com called a Boondocker. Others elsewhere have spoken well of the Progressive Dynamics PD9245 and the corresponding higher amp version. What are your or our other forum commentators thoughts comparing these two.

I currently have a MagneTek TU-750-6 that may be original to my 1990 Excel 29, and works well but hums loudly and causes the battery to lose water over a month, so I'm ready to upgrade. Your thoughts on comparing the Power Max vs. the Progressive Dynamics?

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #73
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr View Post
Thanks so much to MSMOTO for the advice and wonderful pictures. You recommend the PowerMax PM4B-60 from Bestconverter.com called a Boondocker. Others elsewhere have spoken well of the Progressive Dynamics PD9245 and the corresponding higher amp version. What are your or our other forum commentators thoughts comparing these two.

I currently have a MagneTek TU-750-6 that may be original to my 1990 Excel 29, and works well but hums loudly and causes the battery to lose water over a month, so I'm ready to upgrade. Your thoughts on comparing the Power Max vs. the Progressive Dynamics?
EASY!!!

One is made in China (Boondocker) and one is made in Michigan (Progressive Dynamics) . Take your pick, but I prefer to keep my dollars in the US whenever possible.....all things being equal.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I recently installed a PD 6455. With the advice and assistance of several folks here it was a relatively easy and straight forward swap. And yes it was a huge plus that it is manufactured in the USA. That is getting harder and harder to find these days and almost impossible with electronics.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:30 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
After about nine months with the Boondocker

I installed the Boondocker in October of last year, and when I am at home, plugged into shore power full time.

One thing I have noticed is the batteries do not use water. I check these before every trip, suspect I may have added less than one cup of distilled water total to the two batteries since installation. Thus, I have concluded something must be going well....
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
I recently installed a PD 6455. With the advice and assistance of several folks here it was a relatively easy and straight forward swap. And yes it was a huge plus that it is manufactured in the USA. That is getting harder and harder to find these days and almost impossible with electronics.
I agree I installed a PD4655. The thing is, many products that are thought to be American are partially so. I just bought an F150 Thursday. I found out yesterday that the ONLY full-sized pickup on the built in America list is a Toyota! It has to do with less than 75% parts development in USA. Me thinks it is the electronics but I dunno.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:39 PM   #77
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Yup, assembled in America is basically it. And if you are lucky, that assembly means it was soldered here too. But in most cases, all your transistors and boards and stuff come from oversea's these days. So really, how much of it is made in America.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #78
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
There still are companies out there that build their own boards, soldering included........ even if they must source certain components from abroad that are no longer made here.

Firms like Magnum, HWH, Blue Sky, Progressive Dynamics, Dinosaur Electronics (control boards) and others that I can't think of at the moment.

I've been to many of them, either for technical training or just to look around. Impressive operations with robot assemblers, automatic soldering conveyors and complete testing equipment and repair facilities.......very integrated operations.

Try to get a Chinese inverter or converter repaired! These companies are strictly marketing firms. No techs, parts or ability to repair anything.

I'll stay with the US companies wherever possible, thanks.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 09-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
I have my 2015 International Serenity 30' in for some warranty work just before the one year warranty expires. I had asked them to install the Progressive Dynamics PD 4655 (I am not real comfortable with electronic installs) while it is in the shop. They called today and stated that the Progressive Dynamics PD 4655 is not compatible with a 50 amp trailer, only for 30 amp, and they are recommending the Parallax 55TCRU which is a 55 Amp converter/charger with Temperature Compensation, BUT NOT a multi-stage converter which is what I was looking for. I called Best Converter and they stated that the PD 4655 is definitely 50 amp compatible and that they would NOT recommend the Parallax unit. I am so confused. I am looking for something that I can leave plugged in for long periods of time keep the batteries charged without "cooking them" and is AGM compatible when I eventually upgrade. The dealer/service dept. is a popular dealer often mentioned on this forum in a positive light. Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like the dealership was pushing the product they want to sell. Might be time to find a new repair facility.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote