Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #41
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy59 View Post
We have 2 major water leaks on our new airstream trailer. Mixed reviews on how the dealership is handling it. Any suggestions on how and whom to deal with at airstream directly?
Did you buy this from Midtown? Do you know yet the source of the water?
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #42
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
Their quality issues are costing sales!
Not in the least. They have a huge backlog and can't shove them out the door fast enough.

Thor (owns Airstream as well as a majority of the other brands out there) just reported earnings last week. Record earnings, stock is at an all-time high.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2018 28' Flying Cloud
Kaleden (near Penticton) , British Columbia
This trailer was purchased at Midtown. They have told us to deal with Airstream directly. No help from them.
Roxy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Hopefully that's after you've completely exhausted working with them cordially. If not, that is the exact opposite approach that I would take or recommend, and I also have many years of customer service experience. While you might get the grease, those supplying it will be doing it grudgingly. I'd rather have them wanting to help me, instead of being distracted and cursing me under their breath the whole time.
Oh, I'm very nice about it. That makes it even harder on them. I don't care if they help me willingly or grudgingly. Wanting "heart" from a corporation is a losing game.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Rosemere , Quebec
Quote:
The water is coming from underneath the vinyl floor. Have found one of the two leaks. The whole floor has to be replaced (gutting/removing the kitchen, bathroom, closets bedroom etc on a new trailer) on warranty. Problem is the trailer will never be the same after this. I need to talk to someone at airstream. We bought a new trailer and after this it won't be a new trailer.
I am going thrue the same thing and I live in the trailer, and I find all to be a nightmare, I am afraid that my trailer won't ever be the same.
Projet2907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:40 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
This trailer was purchased at Midtown. They have told us to deal with Airstream directly. No help from them.
Airstream dealers are worthless.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:40 PM   #47
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
We have 2 major water leaks on our new airstream trailer. Mixed reviews on how the dealership is handling it. Any suggestions on how and whom to deal with at airstream directly?
Roxy59,

We're sorry to learn about the issue with your new Airstream. We've been working closely with your dealer on getting this resolved as quickly as possible. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:47 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
I don't think that one can make that sort of statement without knowing all the facts of this particular case.
I have had many dealings with this dealership and I know they went above and beyond in fighting Airstream to get my unit fixed. In my case however it was a repair that could be undertaken by the dealership.
This case sounds more like something that has to be undertaken by Airstream at their factory.
I wouldn't hesitate to deal with Midtown again, but in reading more and more of these horror stories about leaks, and lousy caulking jobs I am in my last Airstream .
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:56 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Roxy59 I feel for your situation, but I believe you are on the right track. Communicating with Airstream directly at this point is in fact your best bet for a satisfactory resolution. Your trailer can be repaired and it will be like new, in fact I suggest if somehow returned to JC your unit will turn out better than new. The warranty and repair technicians at the factory are for the most part long time employees who have earned a position in that department and having had responsibility for hundreds of technicians in my career I can say based on our experience those at Airstream repair are exceptional. I also had as my responsibility a customer service department and again I've found JC to be exceptional in this department as well.

They have contacted you, in todays RV world with other brands that simply does not happen and I can assure you that you are not the first to be contacted. I have an acquaintance with a new Airstream which had multiple issues, JC resolved all the issues to his satisfaction and he is out now camping.

Best of luck

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #50

Chester , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Well, I actually think it comes down to the same mentaility I've mentioned previously.

They think they're a mom-and-pop shop, which leads to many good things and also many bad things.

So the same mentality that makes em bend over backwards to make things right when a customer is dealin with them face to face also causes them to supervise their employees less and to disregard errors or shortcomings as expected characteristics of somethin that's 'handmade'.

When I was at JC, this was the mentality. Anything that was wrong with my trailer was just a 'unique' quality of my 'handmade' Airstream. Squeaks, leaks, fitment, etc... Were all explained as byproducts of the 'handmade' process.

And my tech, who was very friendly, was left to fix things as he saw fit-- sometimes quite creatively-- with no supervision or final inspection by a superior (other than me).

It's just way too loose over there. I saw it with my own eyes. They are very well intentioned folks who want to do right by their customers but they do not have the discipline or procedures in place to consistently make that happen.

IMO.
OMG I'm so let down reading this just when I fell in love with the new Atlas now I don't know what to do
2nd try is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #51

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Acme , Pennsylvania
Roxy, Sorry to hear this but similar experience with 25' Airstream Safari. Water was leaking between seam an molding on bottom, not bad enough to notice until floor became soft. Have to replace 1/2 the floor. Can not get any responses from airstream and they do not make it easy to find e-mails. Actually considered buying a new one this summer and at 6 figure price tags I am now glad that I didn't. I guess I expected better quality and customer service when you are paying this kind of money.
plabuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Leaks

Previous Airstream had leak at Bulkhead connection "Inside" for city water connection. It was not tightened.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:22 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
No, not true. I know there are too many crappy dealers unfortunately, however, there are some that are truely outstanding.

We had a boat load of mostly small issue when we bought our’s new in ‘13. Our then somewhat local dealer, Woodland in Grand Rapids, MI, bent over backwards to accommodate my schedule and get our problems resolved quickly and competently. I’m well aware of others that had similar experiences there and at other great dealers.

Too many people are focused on beating the last dollar out of a dealer on the purchase with no regard to who they want to service their trailer afterwards (I’m not saying that is the case for the OP). I selected the dealer based on the service department and a long term relationship.

Good dealers are out there and they will go to bat for you with Airstream if needed.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Amen. I could have saved a bit by going to another dealer a bit further away but I weighed the pros and cons and am so glad I did.
Midtown bent over backwards to go to bat for me with Airstream.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
No, not true. I know there are too many crappy dealers unfortunately, however, there are some that are truely outstanding.

We had a boat load of mostly small issue when we bought our’s new in ‘13. Our then somewhat local dealer, Woodland in Grand Rapids, MI, bent over backwards to accommodate my schedule and get our problems resolved quickly and competently. I’m well aware of others that had similar experiences there and at other great dealers.

Too many people are focused on beating the last dollar out of a dealer on the purchase with no regard to who they want to service their trailer afterwards (I’m not saying that is the case for the OP). I selected the dealer based on the service department and a long term relationship.

Good dealers are out there and they will go to bat for you with Airstream if needed.
The good dealers are few and far in between. I consider a dealer " Good " who employs a competent crew and is ready to help any airstreamer pulling into his facility. You might live in New Jersey and you bought your trailer there but your new Airstream has a serious problem while you are on a trip in Oregon. When you need help with a warranty issue you shouldn't have to be apologizing for not having bought your trailer there.
So what is the problem ? Is this an industry wide problem or unique to Airstream ?
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #56
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I am still finding little things that drive me nuts about the work done at Jackson Center from when I was there. 2 things are worse than they were when I came in to have em fixed. I'm very seriously considerin putting a deposit down on an Oliver and gettin rid of my Airstream. I don't expect Oliver to be perfect, but at least I'd have an extra $45-50k in the bank after the swap. Even with the hit.

In the meantime, I'm on the road and I gotta have someone help me fix some of the things JC messed up. Any half decent airstream service in Arizona?
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #57
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Also, I gotta say I find it very interestin that ya get a survey any time ya visit a dealer service center, so Jackson Center can monitor their work.... But ya get no survey when ya get work done at Jackson Center. Sorta telling, imo....
Old 10-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
I am still finding little things that drive me nuts about the work done at Jackson Center from when I was there. 2 things are worse than they were when I came in to have em fixed. I'm very seriously considerin putting a deposit down on an Oliver and gettin rid of my Airstream. I don't expect Oliver to be perfect, but at least I'd have an extra $45-50k in the bank after the swap. Even with the hit.

In the meantime, I'm on the road and I gotta have someone help me fix some of the things JC messed up. Any half decent airstream service in Arizona?
I'd love to get an Oliver. Too bad they only make them in smaller sizes.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #59
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
I'd love to get an Oliver. Too bad they only make them in smaller sizes.
I agree but I kinda think my 25 is too big for me anyways. I like to squeeze into tight places sometimes and it ain't always easy with that wide body.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
What is current status ?
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote