Old 10-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #239
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Exact tipping point that makes someone classless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
My personal opinion:
Overnight parking at Walmart should be limited to a few hours, just long enough to get enough sleep to safely continue to your destination.......any longer than that is, quite frankly, classless, and contributes to giving R/Vers a bad name.

You describe people who stay at Wal-mart for more than "a few hours" as classless. Is it "classy" to stay at a Wal-mart for 3 hours but "classless" to sleep 8 hours? If you're talking about defining people as essentially scum or wonderful, you need to write back and tell us what you think the tipping point is in terms of time and, much more importantly, why. If your concern is giving RVers a bad name, please allow me to suggest that postings like yours give you a bad name at a minimum. If I thought that most RVers shared your harsh views of people who get a full night's sleep versus "a few hours," I'd get rid of my rig very quickly.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #240
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I think about the potential for building your business. Truck stops have showers, fast food, grocery stores and let truckers and RV travelers stay the night. Walmart now has gas stations, supermarkets, and fast food restraunts. Why is it OK for truck stops to have the variation in services and not Wal-mart? I look at the potential for increased business by building a RV section with showers at a Wal-mart or any other like business. Why not?

I do not disagree about the big chain stores driving small business out of the market, but I do not see the big stores going away any time soon. Many of us have very busy lives and need to be creative when it comes to traveling so Wal-mart with security, truckers and other RV's sounds good to me.

40 years ago the average american had much more leisure time.. Each year that gets cut. Many of us get to work at 6:30 A.M and feel like we are leaving early at 4:45 P.M. When I go somewhere for a short period time I don't want to spend most of my time trying to get there.

Brian

Old 10-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #241
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Not Walmart's

We tried to stay at the WalMart in Destin, Fl. A knock came on the trailer door at 1:00 as we were just drifting to sleep. We had tried to find an empty RV park and the State Park with no luck. So we along with about 3 other trailers al had to move due to local ordinances that prohibited overnight stay. It was our first try at this and we were on our first trip with the trailer. We went another 100 miles and found another WalMart with no problems. Destin Fl won't be on our next travel plans and the local Denny's lost our money for breakfast as well as the Valero station.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #242
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I suppose that this reminds us that it's a good idea to go into the store and check with the on-duty manager of the Wal-Mart to make sure it's all right to stop overnight in his lot...

Plus, they may have TP on sale!
Old 10-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #243
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
the is always the Flying J Truck Stops as well
Old 10-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #244
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlop View Post
the is always the Flying J Truck Stops as well

Flying J's rock. The last one we were at had a dump station, and separated the areas for trucks and RV's.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #245
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Hasn't Flying J been in bankruptcy and recently bought out by another big truck stop organization?

Paula
Old 10-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #246
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
TA (Travel America) has had problems. I believe the real estate is separately owned and rents had to be cut if I remember that situation correctly. I haven't seen anything on that or Flying J recently.

Gene
Old 10-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #247
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pienjim View Post
Hasn't Flying J been in bankruptcy and recently bought out by another big truck stop organization?

Paula
Flying J was bought out by Pilot.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #248
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
The "tipping point" for me is simply, Is it day, or night? (It's less embarrassing to slip in and out under the cover of darkness).
Old 10-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #249
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Tipping point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
The "tipping point" for me is simply, Is it day, or night? (It's less embarrassing to slip in and out under the cover of darkness).
Not much of an answer, was it? I didn't expect much, though. Maybe you should consider avoiding Wal-marts altogether and especially avoid telling others that they're classless if they violate your own ill-defined standards. Usually in life it's best to be able to communicate coherently before making incendiary pronouncements as you did.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #250
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
One person will look at glass of water as half empty while another looks at the same glass as half full. Staying at Wal Mart is a win, win situation for me when I am trying to get somewhere.

I did not know that people thought citizens who frequent Wal-Mart were lacking class. I guess I lack class to some peoples standards. If so I am glad. I will continue to spend the night at Wal-mart if I have permission by the store. I will also use Wal-mart products and shop there.

Brian
Old 10-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #251
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
A Conciliatory Note

I took fmrcaptevil's comment as Walmart's parking lot should not be used for a campground---just a parking spot. Meaning...no lounge chairs, no barbecues, no trash!

Randy
Old 10-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #252
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
What I saw was the 'evil is embarrassed to be seen at a Walmart and fears that people will judge him as without class. Sneaking in late at night and leaving before dawn is his compromise. Since he is judging himself, no need for anyone else to do it for him.

I still don't like Walmart and still buy some things there as it is easier or it's hard to find it elsewhere, sometimes because they drive locally owned businesses out of business.

Gene