Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #321
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Ok...Without reading every post in this subject...I wonder if there is a national map that shows where each and every Walmart is located at a glance. I will be back here in a bit so tell me what you know.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #322
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
Ok...Without reading every post in this subject...I wonder if there is a national map that shows where each and every Walmart is located at a glance. I will be back here in a bit so tell me what you know.
Post #310.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebolewis View Post
Always a good idea to ask....sometimes the map is not up to date. Bill

Walmart Store Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #323
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I'm curious - whenever we've stopped at a Flying J for gas, I've noticed the signs for showers, specifying it's for professional drivers only.

Can RVers who are parking overnight use (and pay for, obviously) the showers? As I'm writing this, I realize how stupid this question must sound, but there have been odder things happen to me in life, and since hubby MUST have a morning shower, this might make or break certain travel plans to Florida in the spring...
Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 AM   #324
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Flying J Showers

When we pull our 34' AS, if we need to buy diesel when hauling the trailer (we carry a 95 gallon aux tank), we pull behind the "big boys" and refuel at the truck pumps. When the cashier asks "company name", we just state "private RV." When we pay for our diesel, the receipt always has a shower coupon attached.

Although we've never taken advantage of these free "showers" as we have our own in tow, I suppose that anyone who has a coupon in hand can get into the showers.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #325
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Some travel centers (ie truck stops) have dump stations now making morning showers a snap.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:35 AM   #326
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Some travel centers (ie truck stops) have dump stations now making morning showers a snap.
I'm curious - how many people travel with full fresh water tanks? We've never done that, thinking it would add too much unnecessary weight.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #327
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
At any of the Flyin' J truck stops if you've got a vaild shower ticket in hand, that's all you'll need. They're not going to ask to see a CDL for showers. The showers there are generally the best too - the most hot water and cleanest facilities. Bring your own towels if you don't like well laundered (rough) institutional towels.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #328
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
I'm curious - how many people travel with full fresh water tanks? We've never done that, thinking it would add too much unnecessary weight.
I always carry 1/4 tank of fresh water for several reasons. Use of the toilet, stopping overnight at Wal Mat, any emergency need of water while on the road.

As far as using the showers at Flying J. They are a for profit business. I you are willing to wait your turn and pay the fee I can't see why they would not take your money.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:28 AM   #329
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
I generally travel with water most of the time if there is any uncertainty of where or when the next fill up will be. Since I avoid paying to camp unless it is for a specific location, water can be hit or miss. In the south west this is especially true. My rig is set up so that it tows a bit better with the extra tongue weight and its good to know I have water. The Trade Wind only carries 30 gallons (I think) so the weight isn't near what it would be in the larger rigs. While I have never done the math, I suspect that the extra fuel cost is more than offset by the convenience and other savings.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #330

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We most always travel with at least a half full fresh water tank. We do this to have water available for washing and flushing. This also alllows for a quick shower or two.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #331
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
I suspect we're going to change our ways in the near future, what with the Ottawa to Sarasota trip looming. I'm tired of staying at a KOA or similar along the interstate for a few hours of shut-eye, and paying for services we never use.

Travelling with a half tank is probably not going to be a huge difference, weight-wise, but might save me a headache if hubby is allowed his beauty shower in the a.m...

I'll be checking out the Walmarts too along the way, though I'm not a huge fan of the place, and would *much* rather stay overnight at a Target (I'm Canadian - many of us have a huge love affair with Target), but that's a hit and miss as I understand it.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #332
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
I usually carry about 1/4 tank of fresh water, but not for showers. Each spring I put 5/8 cup of bleach in the tank and fill it with water (39 gallons) and this disinfects the tank and water lines. This is the only time I travel with that much water in the tank. Most believe that the water in a full tank lowers the center of gravity thereby improving handling. I haven't found this to be true for me...I can tell the difference when the tank if full and prefer it with a lower level.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #333
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We do about the same, traveling with a quarter to a half tank of fresh, depending on the preceived length of trip to the next fill opportunity. We don't need a lot, but it is nice to be able to flush the toilet from time to time, to wash hands, and do some simple dishwashing.

Lynn
Old 01-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #334
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
I'm curious - whenever we've stopped at a Flying J for gas, I've noticed the signs for showers, specifying it's for professional drivers only.
Never tried at a Flying J but I've been asked to leave "professional drivers" sections of restaurants on occasions (for a while, before the era of ubiquitous cell phones, they had phones in these and they were useful) when I haven't looked the part.

I believe that the limitation to professional drivers is imposed to create an aura of exclusivity for such patrons, not to deal with any problem that actually exists outside the realm of the mind.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #335
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Or perhaps

They just want to exclude the homeless.

Think about it, where does a homeless person who is trying to get back into the mainstream have a chance of a shower. One local campground has told me that they estimate that between 5 and 20 times a night someone walks onto the grounds through the woods and use the showers. They've given up trying to stop it, just limit it to one shower house as much as possible.

Paula
Old 01-31-2010, 12:50 PM   #336
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
One local campground has told me that they estimate that between 5 and 20 times a night someone walks onto the grounds through the woods and use the showers. They've given up trying to stop it, just limit it to one shower house as much as possible.

Paula
One thing Disney has done at Ft. Wilderness is to issue a "key" for each camper on each campsite. This is one of the key cards like they use in the resorts for room keys. The doors to all bath houses are locked and can be accessed by the key cards so that only registered guest have access to the bath houses. I'm not sure how much "walk on" people Disney has, but your local camp ground could do this for a minimal expense once the locks and key programming equipment is purchased. Don't know if it worth it to them to keep out the homeless or if they are willing to make free showers a community service.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:23 PM   #337
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Yes, when we bought this place, we had the same problem with non-guest people using the restrooms and showers. Simple control: Install locks and issue keys.

What's always a little surprising about this kind of maneuver is the non-guest folks who then knock on your door and bawl you out for doing it. Duh.

Lynn
Old 01-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #338
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Seems it would be an easy fix - either issue the key thing or to charge a nominal fee. I rarely use public shower facilities - in fact, almost never - so I'm not one to talk about imposing fees.

But if somebody is willing to pay for the luxury of a shower at a truck stop when they really need it - homeless or not - why not let them use it?

If it's a freebie, then yes, there will definitely be those who will abuse it. Sort of like the Walmart overnight parking I suppose, eh?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #339
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Oh, we had to go further in the end. The keys stopped the outsiders, but some guests (a small minority, I assure you!) are impossible. First problem was that folks would simply leave the showers running. Ah, duh. We were (necessarily) on septics at that time, so one instance of that kind, uncaught for hours, cost us $165 just to have that particular septic tank pumped out, nearly all just nice, clean water. So we installed those spring-loaded pull-down faucets, but they were defeated rather quickly. Folks would bring a string, tie down the faucet, and shower away. But that nice, tight knot, now wet, was not easy to untie, so leave it running. A total backfire and even more expense.

So in the end, I installed pay showers. It cost a bunch up front, but it also stopped all of the silliness in its tracks.

Lynn
Old 02-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #340
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Truck Stop Showers

Quote:

Can RVers who are parking overnight use (and pay for, obviously) the showers? As I'm writing this, I realize how stupid this question must sound, but there have been odder things happen to me in life, and since hubby MUST have a morning shower, this might make or break certain travel plans to Florida in the spring...
These showers are researved for drivers because they do not have showers in their trucks, drivers are on a strick schedual and do not have time to wait. If a tourist who has other means to take a shower such as in your camper, motel, uses the shower facilities they tie up the showers and prevent those who need them the ability to take one.
As a retired truck driver I can tell you that many times the intrusion into truck drivers area caused many problems such as when they had phones set up in the booths, this was our only communication with dispatch and home, one evening I came in to fuel, shower, eat, call dispatch, home, a bus had came in and the people sat back in the driver areas, tied up the showers, etc, I waited as long as I could but do to schedual I had to leave so I could keep my appoint time for the time sensitive load I had. Needless to say that I barely made my delivery time, spent 18 hours at the site unable to leave or use the facilities inside such as the phone, had a porta john access and thats it. Once unloaded and I got to someplace to call in I had missed a very good paying reload that would have took me home and missed it because I was not able to use the phones and call in the night before, there was also a problem at home with one of my kids that I did not know about which once I found out required me to go home empty which means I had to pay for it out of my pocket, more money lost. Now with the use of cell phones, Quallcom, etc, that problem is a thing of the past, but at truck stops resturant, shower/cleaning facilities, parking should always be left for trucks.

Sarge

PS: when non drivers begin using these facilities, truck stops are going to raise their prices to get their money thus making it more costly for the trucks and reducing their income.
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote