Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #261
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Smile Wal Mart + Starbucks = WIN

We too, have enjoyed the hospitality of Wal Mart parking for late night stops & early morning departures for all the reasons previously stated in this thread.

In Rock Springs WY there is a Wal Mart that permits overnight parking. Down a little grass knoll within 100' of the RV parking area there is a Starbucks. This is a win as we have registered our Starbucks card for their free wifi access. So, when we do our overnight stop at this Wal Mart, we use Starbuck's wifi to check email, shop for a few supplies at Wal Mart, and have our hot lattes waiting for us at 6AM!

We also encountered a similar Wal Mart/Starbucks proximity along I15 in Utah near Payson, although the Starbucks was a greater distance from the parking lot (I had to sit by our rear window to receive the wifi signal!)
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:30 AM   #262
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
We have had exceptional experiences at wal Mart, Steak and shake, Open 24-7 and McDonald's that have truck parking.

We try to plan for rural area like the Wal Mart at Berea Ky or any other state for that matter.

As we were bringing our 345 home from Texas we stopped at a Wal Mart on the East side of memphis that was fully patroled and had a special area for trucks.

It was late afternoon, HOT and I was looking for a new TV. my wife was very tired and needed an hour or Two of sleep as we wanted to get on closer to Nashville.

I told the security guard that was cruising the Lot along with 2 others our situation and she said she would alert the others and keep an eye on the coach and my Napping wife.

All was well and after a 2 hour break, cooler temps and lighter traffic we moved on East. So even with a High populated area we found a safe haven at a Wal Mart

Thank you Memphis Tenn.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:49 AM   #263
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Nothing NEW !!!

Back in the 50's I had a farmer friend that built a truck camper and traveled from Indiana to Alaska and back. A 3 month trip.

He said that each evening he would stop at a rural gas station, fill up with gas, maybe eat at their restaurant and ask to spend the night. He said that most did not want any $$$ because he would provide security for the station and most left the restroom open for him to use during the night.

many ran a hose out for him to fill his small tank of fresh water also.

He said that 50 cents was the most he paid but a quarter would usually do if he paid anything at all.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:45 AM   #264
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
On cross-country jaunts, we'll use a rest stop for some nap time o'night when available...usually our first choice, if you can put up with the semi's refer compressors running all night!

We've also done the WalMart thing if traveling late, for that quick o'night rest - then buy a few things from them in the morning...

If we're on a more leisurely pace, we'll try to find an RV facility or public RV campground, etc., if it's earlier in the day...

Some WalMarts in busier areas have a limit to their parking lot size, and parking restrictions aside, I can understand why they can't allow RV o'night parking because of space...some of their store's parking lots are almost always close to being full with autos, at least out here in the West - they're just too busy! We have a 24hr/Supercenter WM in our town, and it's lot seems to be even half-full in the wee hours...

In any event, it's always good 'manners' to spend a couple of bucks at your 'free' o'night host's facility - after all, those parking lots are really for their paying, in-store 'customers', right!
Old 10-31-2009, 06:06 PM   #265
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin View Post

I feel compelled to point out that WM started out as one of those small town businesses. They don’t run anyone out of business. WM became big because you the consumer vote every day. Your votes (dollars) say that you prefer WM over the little mom-n-pops. When they were a smaller company, everyone loved them, couldn’t get enough. Now society has determined that big corporation = evil so it's become popular to hate them.

Many businesses actually thrive when WM comes to town. They diversify and don’t try and compete on price. Some stores actually deliberately locate near WM’s to take advantage of all the traffic. Others, such as the sporting goods store here in my town (Clark’s All Sports) is a category killer in all things sporting, hunting, camping, etc. They can’t compete on price, so they don’t try. WM can’t compete with them on the selection.

Hardware/Paint is another category. WM brand paint is one of the top rated consumer brands for quality and price, but their “hardware” department is extremely basic. I much prefer the selection at Lowes or Home Depot. (Oops more big box evils). We don’t have either one in town, so I’m stuck with the overpriced local guys for my hardware and lumber needs.

Sorry, I don’t mean to rant - I’ll step off the soapbox now and return you to your regularly scheduled forum.
I do agree with you 100% G.P.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #266

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We spent about four weeks camping all over California this past spring. We did notice a scarcity of Super Wal-Marts in California. We were surprised at the number of old fashioned Wal-Marts in California. Do they have some kind of law against Super Wal-Marts in California?

Here in Florida, old fashioned Wal-Marts are just about extinct. The last one that I know of in the Florida Panhandle just closed in Panama City last week.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #267
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We spent about four weeks camping all over California this past spring. We did notice a scarcity of Super Wal-Marts in California. We were surprised at the number of old fashioned Wal-Marts in California. Do they have some kind of law against Super Wal-Marts in California? ... Brian
I can't speak for California, but here in NM permission to build a Walmart or to change from regular to super is up to local zoning boards and councils.

In Taos, WM wanted to convert to super, but council decided that they could do it only if the separate parts of the super store were physically broken up into smaller stores. WM, of course, refused and threatened to build a new store outside of town limits. It turned out to be an empty threat, apparently.

Lynn
Old 11-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #268
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Post Time to retire

Since 2000, I have enjoyed the hospitality of Walmart's and FlyingJ's for overnight sleep stops without incident.

Both offer ease of entry and exit, (Important for us bigger rigs.) There is nothing worse than trying to stock up on groceries or fill up with gas than finding yourself in a small tight congested area where you may discover you can't find a parking lot large enough to get into or gas station that you can't turn around in!

Cabales, Bass Pro Shop, Cracker Barrel and Camping World also offer overnight parking in a pinch.

Plan to arrive late and shop early at Walmart as to not impact regular customers is just using common sense.

Same goes for other retail locations mentioned. FlyingJ, anytime if you can stand the noise.

Remember, these are not camping spots or destinations but "rest stops" of a sort.

With more and more states closing "Rest Areas" I've added GPS locations of all the above and more, into my NAV system, this way I always know where to fill-up, pick up groceries, visit a girlfriend or make a quick overnight stopover!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #269
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Since 2000, I have enjoyed the hospitality of Walmart's and FlyingJ's for overnight sleep stops without incident.

Both offer ease of entry and exit, (Important for us bigger rigs.) There is nothing worse than trying to stock up on groceries or fill up with gas than finding yourself in a small tight congested area where you may discover you can't find a parking lot large enough to get into or gas station that you can't turn around in!

Cabales, Bass Pro Shop, Cracker Barrel and Camping World also offer overnight parking in a pinch.

Plan to arrive late and shop early at Walmart as to not impact regular customers is just using common sense.

Same goes for other retail locations mentioned. FlyingJ, anytime if you can stand the noise.
Thanks for the summary, ArtStream. I have no doubt that this will come in handy on more than one occasion.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #270
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1966 17' Caravel
in , zazen
WM and made in China

"check the labels on the cloths you're wearing , from the top brands down to the bottom. This is not a WM problem , this is an America problem , there are too many things we don't make anymore."

I just wanted to mention I heard every product that goes through the Chinese port gets a "made in china sticker". Even if its made somewhere else. Something to do with advertising. I can not stand the Chinese government nor WM. I try very very hard not to use them at all. We recently drove to Farmington NM just to avoid going to WM in Durango CO. But I do understand it. When I had my last child I didnt want to be registered there but my MIL said there were family who would be unable to go to a target or shop online due to there ONLY being a wallmart in their town. This is very sad but true. So to each his own. I will continue to seek out the small buisness owners but you can shop and camp anywhere you please. We have not done much parking lot stays but from reading these posts we will look for Flying Js etc. Any maps with all of their locations listed?
casitaplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #271
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by casitaplata View Post
...... We have not done much parking lot stays but from reading these posts we will look for Flying Js etc. Any maps with all of their locations listed?
Yep, check their website. I use them on occasion. Price is right, and if you are making a cross country speed run, its hard to beat for convenience, but it can be loud.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #272
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
...MH makes it easy to use Walmarts as long as we don't need dumping, water or electric. All sites are pull thru, level and paved
Amen!

It's also a good idea to introduce yoursef to the parking lot patrol, if possible. I do so whenever I can, and always thank them in advance for keeping an eye on us for our safety.

John, in snowy NNY
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #273
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1966 17' Caravel
in , zazen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Yep, check their website. I use them on occasion. Price is right, and if you are making a cross country speed run, its hard to beat for convenience, but it can be loud.
Hey we arent just boondockers we are boonRockers!! loud is just life for us with 3 kids etc!!
casitaplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #274
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I want to remind everyone of something when parking at a truck stop and that is to park only in the customer lots, NOT IN SEMI TRUCK PARKING LOT.
If you park where the semis have to park you take a limited parking away from someone who needs it to rest and force them down the road when tired. Trucks are very restricted as to where they can park because of laws, size, etc, unlike campers can for the most part park just about anywhere.
As a retired Truck Owner/Driver I can not tell you how many times I could make the proper rest stops which include meals, Rest, Required Legal stops, because of spaces taken by those that have no business being in those spots.
Many of the truck stops have small lots they use for Campers, Hotshots, General Public and these are what should be utilized.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #275
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
A few years ago we took a two week trip and I made a list of Walmarts that would be at points where all we needed was an overnight stop. I even went so far as to call those stores in advance to make sure there wasn't any local ordinance agianst staying in their lot.

First night was spent at the Walmart in Junction City, KS. Worst night in the AS ever. Allow me to elaborate...

Warm night so we had to leave the windows open (no generator to run the AC) so plenty of bright parking lot lights shining in. The lot also had an amazing amount of traffic all night. To add to that noise were some near-by railroad tracks with trains rolling by what seemed to be every hour. Topping it all off, once I was finally able to drift off to sleep near dawn, a street sweeper truck came in to clean the lot.

Well, I got a free place to stay for the night, but I got what I paid for. The other overnight stops we had to make on that trip were at campgrounds where I gladly paid just to have a quiet nights rest. Even at a noisy KOA near Springfield, MO I was able to run the blower on the AC and drown it all out.

For heavy sleepers, check out Walmart. For me, it will only be used as a last resort.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #276
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
I want to remind everyone of something when parking at a truck stop and that is to park only in the customer lots, NOT IN SEMI TRUCK PARKING LOT.
If you park where the semis have to park you take a limited parking away from someone who needs it to rest and force them down the road when tired. Trucks are very restricted as to where they can park because of laws, size, etc, unlike campers can for the most part park just about anywhere.
As a retired Truck Owner/Driver I can not tell you how many times I could make the proper rest stops which include meals, Rest, Required Legal stops, because of spaces taken by those that have no business being in those spots.
Many of the truck stops have small lots they use for Campers, Hotshots, General Public and these are what should be utilized.

Sarge
Great advice, Sarge. Many people don't realize truckers are required to stop. Whenever possible, we get as far away from the truck parking area as possible. Flying J's are a good example. They separate the cars/campers from the trucks.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #277
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
.................................................. ............

Sarge
I always ask where to park, so far 100% of the time they have directed me to the truck lot. I go where I'm told.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #278
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
I always ask where to park, so far 100% of the time they have directed me to the truck lot. I go where I'm told.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXX
Of coarse they would tell ya that, they are only interested in your money.. But that dont necessarly make it right or safe.

Think about this; To save 10-25 dollars you park in a place that is needed and place someones life in danger, and someday that life could be yours when a truck driver falls asleep because he could not stop to sleep because of a camper that has many places to park and a truck does not. So you are saying that a person or childs life is only worth 10-25 dollars.

Trucks get tickets in most states for stopping on ramps, rest areas are usually full, Trucks are out lawed in most store parking, trucks can not park in campgrounds, In fact it is state and federal law for a truck to park within 10 foot of any roadway.

Please use some common sense is all I am asking.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #279
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
So you are saying that a person or childs life is only worth 10-25 dollars.

Sarge
That is outrageous and I find it deeply offensive.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #280
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Well to make this a little lighter a unique experience. I find most rest stops are full after say 11 p.m. with truckers. I found a little opening around 11 in a rest stop on I40 in Oklahoma, squeezed between 2 refer trucks. Now, when just one kicks in it shakes the streamer, but 2 and well it was like an earthquake all night. Waking up the next morning I had what only can be described as the riding on a large single cylinder motorcycle all night. Feet, hands and head were tingling from the vibrations. It took well over the next day for it to go away.

I have a simple question, how do they put up with that for a career? I mean it seems to me to require hazardous pay or something. How much rest does he get, and the long term fatigue must impact safety. I hope and feel confident the inter-modal system will start to reduce truck volume. No matter how one looks at this subject, way too many trucks on the road and the train system is going to impact this army of semis on the road. Trust me on this, I see huge incentives in my business to use over the road alternatives.

As far as taking that spot. I paid taxes to use that rest area. No guilt trip here. Its called sharing the road, if some trucker wants to fall asleep on the road then his company and dispatcher have real problems,not me. And if flying J or some other private enterprise says ok, then its mine. It is up to the trucking companies to make a safe trip for all involved,not me.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote