Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2024, 06:33 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Wow! a 5 yr old thread resurrected! Both valves open when in use and closed when in storage. One other thing I do is ensure that the new "full" tank always ends up on the street (non-curb) side and set the selector switch to curb after filling. The ensures that the tank to switch over to is full. There's no problem leaving one tank on while you take the other to be filled. I find that when I swap tanks after filling, the fridge will recover from an "all off" condition for a minute or two as I swap the tanks around.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 07:15 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Wow! a 5 yr old thread resurrected! Both valves open when in use and closed when in storage. One other thing I do is ensure that the new "full" tank always ends up on the street (non-curb) side and set the selector switch to curb after filling. The ensures that the tank to switch over to is full. There's no problem leaving one tank on while you take the other to be filled. I find that when I swap tanks after filling, the fridge will recover from an "all off" condition for a minute or two as I swap the tanks around.
I don’t “get” why anyone would go to the trouble to switch tanks around. Since I promptly refill the empty tank…. and since the tank being used has the regulator auto-valve pointed at it…. when the red poppet appears…simply switch the reg-valve over to the opposite tank…remove the one just-deselected and refill it….re-install it and open it’s valve…. Next time…same song.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:45 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I don’t “get” why anyone would go to the trouble to switch tanks around. Since I promptly refill the empty tank…. and since the tank being used has the regulator auto-valve pointed at it…. when the red poppet appears…simply switch the reg-valve over to the opposite tank…remove the one just-deselected and refill it….re-install it and open it’s valve…. Next time…same song.
I have always just used one at a time; the tank indicator needs to be selected to either tank in use, or both, or selected to off, right? If inside, and you have it set to "both", you do not have an indicator telling you your tank levels...could be an issue if you run out, especially if camping in cold weather. I don't have a tank indicator like Mopeka. I typically will keep one tank selected till it empties and then switch, while taking empty tank to fill. I do use hot water trick sometimes when not sure level and want to know the level in cold weather.

Curious about the Mopeka accuracy; any comments?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:51 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Wow! a 5 yr old thread resurrected!
@1st time RV did a search apparently. Good for them. I'm all too happy to answer questions if I think I know something, but it seems the same questions are posted over and over on new threads. I guess that's just the way it is.

My only comment doesn't apply to 30# tanks, but when we had our Bambi we took out one tank and got an exchange tank, so if we were on the road we could just swap it instead of looking for somewhere to fill our Airstream factory tanks (not that they're anything special).
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:55 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Changed my way of doing things

I used to open both valves to take advantage of the auto switchover functionality. I checked the arrow on the regulator to make sure it was on the street side tank to start for reference.

At the end of a season I pulled the street side tank to get it refilled and thought I’ll weigh the curb side tank. To my surprise it was partially full. The regulator switched between the two tanks during the season. I know both were full before we started camping.

For that reason I don’t trust the regulator to always draw from one tank. I don’t want to get into a situation where both tanks are low and I wasn’t aware of it.

Granted we only use one 30# tank a season but this way I only have to refill one and not mess with two partials. I switch the regulator’s arrow to the opposite tank to rotate them after the refill.

BTW: If we’re camping using the furnace and the tank is getting low I will open the 2nd tank and let the regulator switch if needed to avoid a middle of the night surprise. Only did that for the first time in October of last year in Cade’s Cove NP. Otherwise one tank at a time.

YMMV
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:20 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i place green tape on the gas bottle i'm using. the other is off
when the gas stops, i which valves, move the tape.

now i get the empty bottle filled
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:41 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
I’ll have one tank open, being used, the other tank valve is off; once that tank runs out, I’ll close its valve, open the other; then at the next opportune moment, will refill the empty. I do it manually instead of letting the automatic changer do it, because I don’t want to risk running out, not knowing it had switched over, whereas if I do it myself, I know.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:08 AM   #48

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I have always just used one at a time; the tank indicator needs to be selected to either tank in use, or both, or selected to off, right? If inside, and you have it set to "both", you do not have an indicator telling you your tank levels...could be an issue if you run out, especially if camping in cold weather. I don't have a tank indicator like Mopeka. I typically will keep one tank selected till it empties and then switch, while taking empty tank to fill. I do use hot water trick sometimes when not sure level and want to know the level in cold weather.

Curious about the Mopeka accuracy; any comments?
Assuming an auto-switching regulator, you point the regulator indicator to 1 tank, but have both open. It's never much use to DRAW from both tanks at once, but to have both tanks AVAILABLE for the regulator to use. I didn't realize some auto-switching regulators really have a "both" setting... there's usually no detent in the middle. Of the 3 I've had, I don't recall a "both" setting or mention of it in the little manual but I did manage to find one in a search, though the mention of that was after the explanation of how it works in the more practical "active+reserve" mode. I can't think of a net benefit to a "both" setting. Once the regulator changes over and the indicator is red, I know I have an empty cylinder and a partial and it's time to find a Tractor Supply. The only downside is the need to check the indicator but it becomes habit after a while.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:41 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
Switching propane tanks

I changed my old 30# tanks too 2 new 40# tanks. I use one tank until it runs out or almost out. Then I switch over and while driving or if the second tank starts getting below half I get the other tank filled. I have never run out of propane in the middle of any night and have never run out of hot water in a shower. I also changed the hot water tank from a 5 gal to a 10 gallon. And if I want a longer shower I turn both the gas switch on and the electric heating switch on the hot water tank. It literally never runs out. I never change any tank while the switch says it's on the other tank. I simply don't trust a simple switch and not a on/off valve with my life. I know some think oh"it's ok" but no thank you, I'd rather be extra safe. I also don't pour gas into a running lawn mower. Happy trails.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 01:07 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
I have sensors on my tanks and leave them both open except when storing. I have a remote monitor in the trailer and a monitoring app on my cell.
+1.

Both open with the left tank set as primary.

Mopeka wireless monitor.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:33 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Assuming an auto-switching regulator, you point the regulator indicator to 1 tank, but have both open. It's never much use to DRAW from both tanks at once, but to have both tanks AVAILABLE for the regulator to use. I didn't realize some auto-switching regulators really have a "both" setting... there's usually no detent in the middle. Of the 3 I've had, I don't recall a "both" setting or mention of it in the little manual but I did manage to find one in a search, though the mention of that was after the explanation of how it works in the more practical "active+reserve" mode. I can't think of a net benefit to a "both" setting. Once the regulator changes over and the indicator is red, I know I have an empty cylinder and a partial and it's time to find a Tractor Supply. The only downside is the need to check the indicator but it becomes habit after a while.
I can think of a reason for the both setting. While looking for a backup generator for my house some reviews said that the generators over a certain wattage (maybe over 8000 watts not sure I remember correctly) couldn't run continuously at full load off of a single 20-40 lb cylinder (they all have same diameter, so same area for propane evaporation to run on). Not that that really matters on an Airstream.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:02 PM   #52

2022 19' Bambi
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
I leave the valve closed on one propane tank, so I know when one tank is empty. To me that is more important than the automatic switchover. I always turn off both propane tanks when the trailer will be in storage for more than a few days.
That is the exact advice I got when taking delivery of my Bambi 19 last April. Cheers
Towhee19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 06:43 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I don’t “get” why anyone would go to the trouble to switch tanks around. Since I promptly refill the empty tank….
Looks like JeffMC does it the same way I do. Usually LP tanks last for several trips for me. Therefore i always start with the curbside tank once underway. Once that tank is empty, the auto switch over happens and sips some LP from the street side tank. At that point, I would replace the curb side. After a number of trips, the street side would eventually be exhausted when needed. Rather than remembering which tank I was on "last", I swap the tanks and always ensure that the street side is full and ready for action when the curbside is exhausted. This would not be required if I was a full timer and never turned the gas off between trips.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is online now   Reply With Quote