Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Palm City , Florida
Travel with both open for Auto-switch, fridge is the main concern on the road. Purchased and use Worthington aluminum tanks with internal propane level gauges for a back up indicator. Short term storage, I turn both tanks off to prevent propane loss. I had to replace both feed hose assemblies due to numerous pinhole leaks just this month. Note: Only after a year and a half.
tmwinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:08 PM   #22
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I always leave both 40# tanks on all the time. If one goes down when you are not around then right away you know you have a leak. Better then than when on the road when you have to fill empty tanks. Needing to fill two tanks should be a clue. However, in closed storage (no outside openings) you should shut off the tanks for safety. I have had the main regulator to trailer feed hose fail and empty both tanks. I discovered it after refilling the two bottles. The hose lasted about 10 years before failure.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:16 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Airstreaming and LP Auto-Switching Regulator

My usual practice is to have the valves on both tanks open when parked and using the trailer, but close both valves for travel and storage. This works quite well with my '64 Overlander where I have a modern 3-Way Dometic AES refrigerator that is quite happy running on 12-volts DC while traveling -- didn't even have problems before adding solar system with battery power when traveling. The issue can be with the Minuet, as it still has its original Dometic refrigerator so for short distance transfers, I travel with the refrigerator off and tanks off -- on those rare occasions when my travel day is long enough that I don't feel comfortable running with refrigerator off, I will run with refrigerator and LP on (have only had to do this about five or six times).

One thing that I have learned, as pointed out by a veteran Airstreamer, it can be much easier to light both the refrigerator and furnace if you first light all cooktop burners and wait for a strong, steady flame -- then turn off those burners and proceed to light refrigerator and/or furnace. This may be more appropriate with older Airstreams that still have appliances without electronic ignition.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I turn both of mine on and then monitor the situation. I have been doing this for over 14 years and have never had a problem. When on a big trip I fill both tanks at the start. I know that I can go a week or two before one runs out so, get this, I actually take the time to check the little tube to see if it has turned red. If so, I change over and then refill the empty tank when I can.

The issue here for me is this. If you are afraid of running completly out then you stand the risk of running that first tank dry during a cold night, or a rainy day or when you are away from your trailer. I personally don’t want to get out of bed in the cold dark night to turn on the second tank. Of course, if you don’t monitor your system you really do run the risk of running completly dry which would not be a good thing.

We spend a lot of money for our trailers that come with the latest technology and yet refuse to use it. It is similar to the running with the fridge on argument. I will continue to use my trailer as it was designed to be used and really like the switch over valve feature. I use mine.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
I leave one open and one shut until the first one is completely empty, then switch over. Always closed during storage. I have recently been using the electric heating element for the new hot water tank besides when staying at RV campgrounds, electric is part of the cost so why spend extra cash on propane?. Hot water is the biggest propane draw from spring to fall, but when it gets cold look out propane. Even if I'm on the second tank I tend not to grill as much so my emergency back up will still make it through the night, the 20# Weber tank.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I keep one closed , one open. Cause I've always done it that way.

I then monitor the quantity system on the Firefly inside the trailer. A new luxury. When one is low ( 6 months) I open the other so the shuttle valve can work. Then get the low tank serviced.b
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
One open, one closed, both in use and when stored.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
Even more weight savings!
But you are paying a premium for a partially filled tank. Having your tank filled costs less than an exchange.
Jimroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
When the first tank runs dry (about once per week), I swing by a Walmart to exchange the empty tank.

Why don't you have it refilled rather than exchanging tanks? Pilot, Flying J, Camping World. Then you get a total fill at a much cheaper rate than exchanging tanks.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I put tank sensors on my tanks. They work fairly well. Just change the batteries every so often. I keep both open.

I carry a spare empty tank with me when I know it’s going to be cold. Cheap insurance. Then when I get to where I am going I always fill the extra tank. I always make sure that I have a spare full tank. Those with Classics probably have more efficient heating systems. My 28 International not so much.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #31
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
I always close the valves before hitting the road for safety reasons. It takes time for the refrigerator to chill down at camp, so I put my food and some ice a chest inside my TV on the way to the first campsite. The extra ice stays in the freezer, and helps the refrigerator stay cool between stops when on a longer road trip.

By closing the tanks every time at the start, I see the indicator and know when I have an empty tank, and plan to fill the empty tank during the trip. After the empty one is filled, I will move the switch to put the filled one into reserve.

After arriving at camp, I open both valves, and depend on the auto cutover, so there's no interruption in hot water, cooking, or refrigeration.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
I use the auto-switch over provided by the valve system. I do check the tank valve for 'red' every so many days while on the road.

Not wanting to promote any argument here I say, leave all tanks on all the time. When we are 'home' our shore line provides refer power. Yes the refer is left on all the time. Just makes sense since it is an absorption unit. If left on, then you know it works all the time. We even leave food in the refer.

Caio
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #33
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
I leave the valve closed on one propane tank, so I know when one tank is empty. To me that is more important than the automatic switchover. I always turn off both propane tanks when the trailer will be in storage for more than a few days.
Ditto
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Auto switchopver reliability

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I keep both open for the benefit of continuous flow when one tank empties - trusting the switchover to work which it has for the past 5 years. I was confused by this at first but once I got familiar with it, I really liked the convenience of setting the switch to a tank and not having to worry about when the red indicator pops up. I just know when I see it, I’m running on the other tank, so I flip the switch to that tank and fill the empty one at my next convenience. Rinse, lather, repeat. [emoji3]

In storage (whether weeks or days), I shut both tanks off. The inconvenience there is when you head out on your next trip, it can sometimes take a while to get the fridge going. Probably not a big deal either way, but since I’m not with it when it’s in storage, it’s one less thing to worry about.

Your method is one we share. Most of the time it's obvious (in my experience) when the auto switchover takes place because the stinkum odor is OBVIOUS in the trailer for a day or two. There's always a small puddle of the odorant in the bottom of the tanks, and it gets condensed and picked up in the gas systemwhen the tank gets low.

As for the reliability, I've had (4) ASs and one SOB in the last 40 years, all with the switchover regulator system. I've never had an occasion when I was left with no propane because I ran with both open and the switchover didn't take place.

I'm obviously lucky, I guess.....

Kent
Houston
Kent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:56 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMarshall View Post
Your method is one we share. Most of the time it's obvious (in my experience) when the auto switchover takes place because the stinkum odor is OBVIOUS in the trailer for a day or two. There's always a small puddle of the odorant in the bottom of the tanks, and it gets condensed and picked up in the gas systemwhen the tank gets low.

As for the reliability, I've had (4) ASs and one SOB in the last 40 years, all with the switchover regulator system. I've never had an occasion when I was left with no propane because I ran with both open and the switchover didn't take place.

I'm obviously lucky, I guess.....

Kent
Houston
Thanks for the "why does it stink when getting ready to switch " ! Could never figure that out!
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:24 AM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I came back from filling & smelled LP...Lucky,🔥

POI on all this and that...when you switch over and remove the empty tank, check the un-hooked line.
Ours switched fine but didn't shut off flow.

In use...both open.
In storage...both closed.

Bob
Old 01-15-2024, 01:43 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
College Station , Texas
Propane tank empty

One tank is empty. Do I need to shut off the working tank in order to take the empty to be filled or can I leave the other tank working?
1st time RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:49 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time RV View Post
One tank is empty. Do I need to shut off the working tank in order to take the empty to be filled or can I leave the other tank working?
No. Shut off the empty tank and take it for refill. Open it back up when reinstalled with the switchover automatic.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 03:39 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I keep both valves open when in use and rely on my Mopeka tank level indicators. I keep both valves closed when in storage.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 04:24 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We're still learning. We leave both tanks ON and check daily. Since we're full-timers, there is no storage time. When we're back at The Ranch we have a permanent tank, so we're on that, which is filled monthly.

When we have run completely out of propane, it has always been in the middle of the night. Never during the day. Murphy?

I've learned the hard way that I have to 1) fully connect the little hose to the tank and 2) turn the valve on. Doing only one or the other results in a trip outside while Jo Ann complains about how cold it is inside. <grin>
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote