Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Easy start compressor installer

If anyone has had this AC mod performed recently in the Portland, Oregon area and would recommend the work done, we would appreciate the contact info and any useful details of the experience. Many thanks.
nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Hit up Lew Farber in Hood River. He should be up there for the summer this month.

Lew Farber
Winter - Florida / Summer - Oregon
4rvsolar@gmail.com

Lew is renowned for his work - projects big and small. Highly recommend. Here are details of the work he did for me:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f539...um-182406.html
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Thanks, Wulfraat -- Just what we needed!
nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Lew is a meticulous installer and a great guy. He chimes in around here when he has time. Highly recommended.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
I had my local RV guy install it. It was his first and he talked to the manufacturer in NJ with a couple of questions. Just want to share it's not anything you need an AS guy for. If I had waited for my AS guy to get to it on my unit, it would have been 3 months. If I had felt comfortable enough to climb around on my roof, I would have done it myself. One fractured hip is enough for me. BTW, the easy start has exceeded my expectations. We were on the SW Caravan with desert temps and my AC performed perfectly on shore and 2200 Honda generator.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwclassic View Post
If anyone has had this AC mod performed recently in the Portland, Oregon area and would recommend the work done, we would appreciate the contact info and any useful details of the experience. Many thanks.
Howdy!

Thanks for all of the great press! I'm headed from FL to OR around the 13th of May (a little later than usual but had to get one last very large installation done) and should be there by the 19th of May. I can usually get you in for an Easy Start installation any day after the 20th.

Give me a shout at: 4rvsolar@gmail.com

Thanks!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Safe travels, Lew!
Old 05-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Airstreams Northwest does them. Only problem is getting an appointment.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We put an Easy Start in Lucy about two years ago. We couldn't find anyone trustworthy to install it for us. SuEllyn decided that she could do it herself. I fetched tools and held the ladder. It has worked flawlessly since.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We put an Easy Start in Lucy about two years ago. We couldn't find anyone trustworthy to install it for us. SuEllyn decided that she could do it herself. I fetched tools and held the ladder. It has worked flawlessly since.

Brian
Did the same, installed it myself but I do recommend this video which was very helpful. I watched it 5-6 times, took notes with the supplied wiring diagram, gathered the few needed tools and the installation kit materials and went through the steps wire by wire on my 15K btu AC. Was done in less than 45 minutes (not including the 5 "training" startups which take 20 minutes). Works nicely with the Honda EU2200i.

DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
Did it myself too

Be sure to order the extra parts pkg which has everything you will need, or for for the installer. Perfect. I was nervous, but watched the video, and as I recall, you can download the multi page installation instructions having a picture of exactly what you will see, as you, or others perform the work.

I was nervous getting onto the roof. I have a 7’ stepladder, set next to the awning side, and using a foot placement where the awning is attached-a nice placement, then just used the rivets to know where the interior frames are.

Then do the learning startup procedure, crossed my fingers, and it all works as should. Never a problem in the two years so far.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Micro - Air

It has exceeded my expectations also. With one Honda 2000 we can run the AC. However we soon learned the fridge had to be locked on propane or we tripped the Honda breaker. If on a long West trip I will carry both 2000 units. Have a pro install it our dealership did a slop crap install. Stripped the AC hood screws did not securely mount the micro Air. I had to go up and repair the AC hood hardware and secure the unit. Should have done it myself or waited for the deals at Hershey Show with the manufacturer doing sales and free install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbubbaca View Post
I had my local RV guy install it. It was his first and he talked to the manufacturer in NJ with a couple of questions. Just want to share it's not anything you need an AS guy for. If I had waited for my AS guy to get to it on my unit, it would have been 3 months. If I had felt comfortable enough to climb around on my roof, I would have done it myself. One fractured hip is enough for me. BTW, the easy start has exceeded my expectations. We were on the SW Caravan with desert temps and my AC performed perfectly on shore and 2200 Honda generator.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:41 PM   #13
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I did my own install, so I knew it was done just how I liked it

If someone else were to lay their hands on my trailer for the install though, it would be Lew

Correct on the fridge / LP - fridge will draw 400w+ on 120v power.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Amen on hiring Lew for electric work. He’s the only person besides me that I would allow near my rig to do repairs or modifications.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
+1 on having Lew install. You can spend hours watching the videos, spend hours doing it yourself, risk denting your roof crawling around up there, or have someone that's done it a zillion times and works on Airstreams all the time do it in a few minutes in a professional manner. While you're in Hood talk to Lew about a solar system install...

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thanks for all of your kind words! I aim to please....................
Old 11-27-2019, 06:51 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Size of ac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

Brian
Hi Brian,
I want to get Jim an easy start for Christmas. He’ll enjoy installing it and I’ll enjoy AC off the grid in the desert and in Florida

Sine you have a 25 fb flying cloud like ours, what size do I need and what do I need to know that isn’t in this thread.
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi outdoors4me,

You should buy the smaller 364 unit from Easy Start. It is the one you need!