Old 10-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Generator

Paula,

If you use a generator while boonedocking where do you keep the gasoline.

John

Old 10-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Geisen View Post
Paula,

John
In a small jerry can, about 1.5 gallons. Enough to run for several hours.

Paula

Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
And if you get a Yamaha from these folks: Yamaha Propane and Natural Gas Generators they will sell you one with a carb. that's been modified so it runs on propane, natural gas, OR gasoline - and you don't have to haul gasoline along at all. That's especially helpful if a) you're driving a diesel TV, and/or b) the TV is a Suburban or such, where you don't want a gas can inside the vehicle.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #18

2004 34' Classic S/O
Huntsville , Alabama
John: The suggestion of attending a rally or two is good advise. When we purchased our 32 footer in 1996 I also purchased a Hensley hitch and I have never been sorry. It is the best hitch even if the price is a little steep. My wife of 70, I'm 73, pulls our new 34 footer and has no problems. We have had our 34 for four years and it has been a dream. We travel with grandchildren and the room is great. Pick the size you fall in love with and do not look back. fjs
Old 10-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Still Looking

Hello to everyone!

Thank you for all your posts and support.

We are still trying to find our perfect 27 foot International CCD and have just about decided that we may have to purchase new. Does anyone know what a reasonable % off retail (or sticker price) would be a good purchase? If this is confidential and shouldn't be discussed, I apologize. Just let me know if I'm out of line. We are so new to this that I feel I'm flying blind. Dealer costs on automobiles seems much easier to find so you know how to negotiate. With an Airstream, it appears that some dealers are offering up to 20% off on new models. I have no idea if this is good or just a beginning point of negotiation. My ignorance makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks again for any help or insights.

John and Pam
Old 10-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Paula,

John
Hi, john. I keep my gas in my Lincoln. Start engine, open valve, and fill generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0040 (Large).JPG
Views:	65
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	69543   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0042 (Large).JPG
Views:	50
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	69544  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0043 (Large).JPG
Views:	62
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	69545   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0044 (Large).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	69546  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Bob,

Thanks for your help. This is a great idea.

John
Old 10-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
John, I would spend some time looking at Airstream dealer websites to see what prices they're advertising for 2008 models (or even some 2007s).

For instance, Colonial Airstream in NJ has an 08 International Signature 27' FB at $57,499, marked down from MSRP of $70,763.

Colonial Airstream NJ - 2008 Airstream International Signature Series 27'FB

They also have a Safari SE 27' FB - $67,644 marked down to $49,995! (I feel rather bad for someone trying to sell a used recent AS right now.)

Just some data points - not sure if it's good or bad, but there's certainly big savings to be had. Some online looking could at least give you an idea where to start. And it looks like you should start low - I'm not sure there is too much risk of insulting a dealer in this climate....

Best of luck!
Tom
Old 10-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We went new and have not been dissatisfied. Have two dogs each 48# and have had no problems. Our Honda 2000i holds enough gas for 12-15 hours of use, so for dry camping, using it 3 hours per day gives us 5 days b4 refill. We don't carry around a jerry can. We like the convection/microwave because it does a great job on biscuits and meats in short order.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your help. Doesn't this say a couple of things about buying new? It would seem that untitled 07's and '08s have already depreciated some, so it would be the way to go.

But I have found dealers willing to give similar discounts on '09's. If that is the case isn't it better to purchase an '09 since it will be one to two years before it reaches the depreciation level of the '07's and 08's? It appears that the dealer is taking a depreciation hit on new units as well.

John
Old 10-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #25

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums, John; we're glad to have you with us.

Two years ago, we were a lot like you. We thought that we wanted to try Airstreaming, but had only tent camped with our boys quite a few years earlier. We were both 58 years old, retired, and free to travel whenever we wanted. We had found these Forums which really helped.

We decided to buy new, and shopped for a Safari 25FB because it was the smallest Airstream that had a walk around queen bed. We found a great deal on a brand new left over 2005 at the Airstream Dealer in Alachau, Florida, which also happens to be the closest Airstream dealer to us in the Panhandle. We took delivery of our beloved Lucy on June 1, 2006.

We already had a 2005 3/4 ton Suburban to use as a tow vehicle. We decided to go with the Hensley Arrow Hitch System. It is expensive, but it works the best, period. There are absolutely no anxious moments on the road due to any sway.

We dove right into RV traveling and found that we love it. Over the last two years, we have traveled in Lucy extensively. We have towed her over 40,000 miles and have spent over 320 nights in her. We have gone on a couple of trips that were over six weeks long. We have become somewhat experienced RVers in a relatively short time. As I write this post, we are camped in Lucy in Jacksonville, Florida.

Here are my major observations, opinions, and suggestions:

1. Airstream is the way to go. There is not another travel trailer even close.

2. The shorter the Airstream, the better. If we ever were to buy another Airstream, we would probably get another 25FB, but would seriously consider the new 23FB.

3. You want the built-in black tank flush, a must have.

4. You want two Fantastic Fans. We added the one in Lucy's bedroom after about a year. They are great.

5. You want the air conditioner with the heat pump and the thermostat control.

6. The Hensley works all the time; the others work most of the time. It is worth the extra money.

7. The Sewer Solution works great; The slinky sux. I found this out after about a year of camping.

8. Trailer tires are junk if you really want to travel.

9. The new quiet generators from Honda and Yamaha are great. We have a pair of Honda 2000s as they are easier on my back.

10. There is no better way to travel and see the USA than an Airstream.

Best of luck in your decision. Take your time and choose what is right for you.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
But I have found dealers willing to give similar discounts on '09's. If that is the case isn't it better to purchase an '09 since it will be one to two years before it reaches the depreciation level of the '07's and 08's? It appears that the dealer is taking a depreciation hit on new units as well.
If the price is the same, yeah, I'd get an 2009. Then again, I'm used to the automotive world, where those 2 more years gave them two more years to get the design "more right." At least the trailer hasn't been sitting out for 1-2 years on the lot.

I don't think its a depreciation hit that accounts for the bargaining room in 2009s. Rather, the combination of slow sales and pretty large margins forces them to do that.

But the question of depreciation and used prices is a good one. For example, my dream "small" trailer is a 20' Safari SE. I've seen a leftover 2007 marked down to $33k from $47k. Looking at used AS prices, or at least what people typically ask for them, it would probably be several years before someone would advertise their 2007 20' SE for the $33k of that new leftover. There are multiple examples of used Bambis that are listed for as much as what a new leftover costs....

In other words, bargain hard. Don't rush. Look at all of the options over various model years and prices.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your comments. They are very helpful. I can understand why the shortest trailer works. I tried to get Pam (my wife) interested in a 19 foot but she could only stay in it for about 2 minutes. A mild case of claustrophobia set in and she needed to get out of the trailer. Once we hit 27 feet she seemed to be fine and we stayed in it for about an hour. Since then that seems to be the length we have settled on.

6. I did order a Hensley hitch and it arrived today. Now I have to figure out out to install it once we find our trailer.

7. "The Sewer Solution works great"; The slinky sux. I found this out after about a year of camping. ??? I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say this.

8. Are you saying we need to replace the tires that come with the Airstream right away or get something better after they wear out?

Thanks again for your insights.

John
Old 10-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Wow Mutcth!

That sounds like a great price for a new '07. I can only imagine that for the newer trailers prices will continue to drop for a while. I don't see the economy or other travel related expenses getting better for some time.

John