Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bennington , Nebraska
Globetrotter/Serenity vs Fifth Wheel

Hello there. I just discovered the forum and have found it to be very helpful as I look into getting my first RV. I have never owned any type of RV but grew up around camping so I am familiar with what I will be getting into when I buy one. I have been quickly educating myself on RV’s and would welcome any input I can get.

Here is my dilemma. I am leaning towards getting an AS. Either a Serenity or Globetrotter twin 25’ to 27’ but am also considering a Grand Design 320mks which is a 35 foot fifth wheel. I love the AS quality, windows, interior design, and ease of maneuverability but have concern about storage and overall living space. The Grand Design solves my AS concerns but I am concerned about the difficulty to tow it in terms of cross winds and also think I will feel closed in when inside the trailer. There is also a pretty big cost factor to consider as even though I will need a larger TV for the fifth wheel, I think it will be about $20k less than the AS trailer/tow vehicle.

I would love to hear thoughts on this.

Mike
ChitownMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #2
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Ahhh, memories. I was right there with you before I finally pulled the trigger on the Airstream. I went through all the Class A's, the Super C's, and attended an RV Dreams seminar where the presenters were long time 5th wheel owners. And right down the road was the LazyDaysRV dealer, the most prolific Grand Design dealer. I really, really liked their quality, true 4-season livability, relative ease of towing, well, you know.
What drove me crazy (and still does today) is the 1970's interior design of most other RVs with the exception of Winnebago's Horizon and Airstreams. If they offered a 5th wheel with Airstream interior design I would take it in a minute.
For me it was the right decision. In the end, I also wanted the Globetrotter, until someone pointed out to me that the Flying Cloud has all the same components for thousands less. I am a full timer, and have leftover storage space in mine.
If I was traveling with more people, I'd give the 5th wheel serious consideration. Take a look at DRV Mobile Suites.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bennington , Nebraska
Glad to hear it am not alone! I totally agree on the fifth wheel interior design. Glad to hear the AS space isn’t a problem for you. Plus, I feel like I will pick up storage space in the bed of the pickup as the trailer won’t be sitting there like it would with a fifth wheel. Do you have a generator? I worry with the AS not having dedicated storage for a generator like most fifth wheels do.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I really like the idea of an on board generator, preferably in a diesel Class A or a nice BIG diesel Class C, towing a little car of some sort.

A big family, dogs, stayin' put for weeks or months, Class A or 5th Wheel.

A big family, dogs, stayin' put for weeks or months, Airstream will be a tighter fit.

My wife and I, no pets, runnin' all over creation, the Airstream does it.

Me to my wife "HONEY, there goes a Grand Design, what color you think the interior is?" My wife says, "BROWN".

Most RV's have the UGLIEST interiors ever seen. UGLY! Brown, Brown/Brown, Tan/Brown/Brown, Plaid, Herringbone, Cheap Vinyl, and the window treatment, don't EVEN get me started......

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Welcome!

This is a great forum. Your present dilemma has been shared by many. I believe you will find much of interest in this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...eel-91672.html

also:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f520...er-112148.html

and
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f520...er-112148.html

All the best!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:31 AM   #6
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownMike View Post
Glad to hear it am not alone! I totally agree on the fifth wheel interior design. Glad to hear the AS space isn’t a problem for you. Plus, I feel like I will pick up storage space in the bed of the pickup as the trailer won’t be sitting there like it would with a fifth wheel. Do you have a generator? I worry with the AS not having dedicated storage for a generator like most fifth wheels do.
I do have a dual-fuel generator and run from propane. If you travel with the weather, you seldom need it. My Silverado bed is full of sturdy plastic bins, and right now, two of them are empty. I started with all kinds of tools and spare food and ten different shoes....slowly whittled it down.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
I've always thought of a 5th wheel as a portable condo. You migrate with it north to south and back again as the seasons change. Lots of slides -- out twice a year and in twice a year is probably a good thing. It is tall, so a lot of back roads are out -- better cruise the Interstate. If you plan a simple migration, it will be roomier. Of course, in 15 years, it will be headed for a landfill...

An Airstream is meant to move. Low slung, aerodynamic, torsion axles -- easy to tow, will pretty much follow you anywhere. You will have less room, it is heavy for its length, you have to diligently keep up with routine maintenance. In 30 years, it will be headed to you kid's house when you pass it on to them...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Sometimes people transpose quality for design. Just sayin'.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Mike, I doubt if anyone here will recommend a 5th wheel over their Airstream. You might try the IRV2 forum with the same question. You will get some answers there like, more space for your money. But then, you already know that. There is really no comparison. Maybe someone who has traveled/camped in both will respond.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
It was an easy decision for us: Airstream is certified GREEN. No formaldehyde or outgassing of toxic fumes. I actually had an RV dealership employee tell me that they recommend that you should run the RV heater for 2 weeks to burn off the toxic gases in those plastic boxes. Really? No, thank you.
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:28 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bennington , Nebraska
You have very accurately captured my wife’s feelings on the fifth wheels. She thinks they are totally blah. How do you like your 30 foot serenity? That’s one of the models we are considering. Is it too big? Do you have the twin or queen?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:45 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Kenosha , Wisconsin
I started RV life with a Forest River Sydney edition fifth wheel toy hauler, 35 foot and a low mileage f250 6.0.
I quickly learned in one season what a pain it is to maneuver that billboard of a trailer. Wind blew you everywhere. Pain in the butt to get in and out of gas stations. 8 mpg. Horribly cheap build quality. I didn't run into the campsite that was too small but it was just a matter of time.
The truck ran great but the more I read about the 6.0 the more I worried when on the road.
I sold the trailer at a loss and tried to trade the truck in but the dealer wouldn't take it, having been burned twice on 6.0 motors with blown head gaskets. Had to go to CarMax and sell it at a big loss and then go back to the previous dealer.
I bought a 1984 sovereign 25 and a Ram 1500. Got the truck for 20% off - end of year and sales manager was a buddy from high school.
The quality difference was huge. I've been camp hosting for the last couple months and find the Sovereign cozy but comfy for 2 and an occasional grandkid. 13 - 15 mpg towing and it's like the trailer isn't even there. Gas stations are much easier. Sure, the fifth wheel had more room, but you were towing a lot of air. I can fit the Airstream in my driveway. Security - anybody with a butcher knife could open up the side of that fifth wheel, the Airstream gives you a feeling of security when you lock yourself in for the night.
leif9016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Over the last 15 years we have had several 5th wheels, the last being a 38ft Mobile Suites. We had a couple of 36ft + Cedar Creek 5th wheels before that. We went to the more top of the line Mobile Suites after having issues with both Cedar Creeks. We like to travel long distances and thought the Mobile Suites would hold up better over the long haul.

Sadly, as someone else has already mention, these trailers do not hold up when trailered over long distances. Their suspensions simply do not hold up under constant travelling, not to mention slide mechanisms. Eventually we had issues with each and every trailers slides.

I must say that the Mobile Suites was very spacious and luxurious, but it was big, heavy, (required a dually) limiting the places we could stay and made maneuvering in parking lots, gas stations, campgrounds challenging. Not to mention issues with the air suspension, hydraulic leveling jacks, broken drain pipe for the washing machine and slides after a time. In the end, it seems no matter how much money you spend, the build materials and quality are just not there.

2 years ago we downsized to a 2016 27 FB Serenity. No slides, no power jacks, simple. Tows like a dream, easy to maneuver, and a suspension and construction designed for road travel. It is comfortable, bright, (you won't get this % of glass on any 5th wheel), and modern. Yes, sometimes we do miss the space, but the grief isn't worth it and we will never consider another 5th wheel after several thousands of miles travelled in the Airstream.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by leif9016 View Post
anybody with a butcher knife could open up the side of that fifth wheel, ]

Someone call John Carpenter!
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:09 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Victoria , British Columbia
We are a couple that own both a 2015 Mobile Suite 40 ft 5th wheel and a 2016 Classic 30. We live full time in the Mobile Suite which is stationary at an Oceanside RV Park, but travel 6 months of the year in the Airstream. In my opinion, the OP will have to decide whether the unit that he purchases will be primarily stationary or frequently transported. Compared to the Airstream when being transported, the 5th wheel is an absolute cow. Owning the 5 th wheel necessitates owning a 3500 DRW truck. When pulling the Airstream, I barely notice it. If the Airstream was my only RV, I would only require a SRW tow vehicle.
I suppose that my suggestion to the OP would be to take an honest estimate as to how often you will be pulling the RV. The 5th wheel will be more roomy, better insulated, but more difficult and tiring to pull. The Airstream is an absolute pleasure to pull, much easier on fuel, but with much less storage.
Overall, I give a tip of the hat to our Airstream.
Camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bennington , Nebraska
I want to thank everyone for their posts. This has been extremely helpful. We plan to travel a lot once we make the plunge and buy an RV (have to downsize the house first) so I am going to take the general advice and go with an Airstream. That being said, I would like to shift the conversation to what AS to buy. I am waffling between the Serenity and Globetrotter and on occasion also consider the Classic but am a bit concerned on the length of the Classic.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
You've got time. Downsize your home and do some thinking about what you're going to need to bring with you to be happy. It will determine not only which Airstream is right for you but also which tow vehicle (the more stuff you bring...).

The differences between model lines are largely aesthetics and cost. Not an unimportant decision but ultimately a subjective one. The bigger decisions are length, layout and options such as solar or convection. Find a dealer or two near you and spend some time actually being in them. When you've narrowed it down some, try renting one. The brochures only give a surface impression.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
As has been said, the differences between the GT and the Serenity are interior cosmetics. We have a Serenity and love it. For us the choice was International or Serenity and we chose Serenity because of the lighter, more contemporary interior. I must say that if the GT had been available at the time, that would have been our choice. It is more expensive but we absolutely love the european style interior.

It is no different that choosing between 2 high end trucks as a tow vehicle. You choose the colors and options that suite you best. As Nryn has said, go to the dealership and spend time in each one getting a sense of what the differences are and what appeals to you. It won't be long before your preference is apparent.

We did look at Classics but with their extra length, but we were going to be in the same ballpark, maneuverability wise, as the Mobile Suites. For us, the 27ft was optimal. You have a couple of floor plans available in this length to choose from, a front or rear bedroom layout. Also, don't rule out the 25ft. Basically, the only difference between the 27 and the 25 is in the size of the bedroom and the option for twin beds on the 27. Other than that, the living space is pretty much identical.

If they still made the Classic in a 25 or 27 when we purchased ours, they would have gotten serious consideration. But at over 31ft in length, it was easy to eliminate that option.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
I can't speak to the Serenity as we have a Globetrotter, 27FB. We came from a 35' Diesel pusher and this was our first non-motor home. We have had it a year and are very pleased to date. I was concerned about storage but that has not been an issue so for. We have learned to be more efficient in our packing and 1) The truck bed provides for the room I used to have in the diesel pusher underneath storage 2) the twin beds allows for exterior storage under each bed. In our opinion, the twins also allow for more room to get in and out of the bedroom and make the interior look larger.

We do wish that Airstream would use a refrigerator with a flat vs a curved front door. It takes away from storage in the refrig door and allows no door storage in the freezer.

If you do look at the 25 and 27 foot models I believe you will find you lose some wardrobe closet storage in the hall of the 25' models.

Like everyone else has said, I don't even notice the Airstream is behind me when towing. I have been avg 14.5 towing to date over 13,000 miles.

good luck in your search. Evaluate how you will use and take your time in your decision.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
We were going to go with a Grand Design fifth wheel too, but decided on an Airstream for pretty much your same reasons.
I wanted a Serenity because I like the colors better (literally, it was just the colors that got me), but my husband balked at the extra $10k just for colors. We ended up with a Flying Cloud 27fb twin. No idea if we like it yet, as we don't pick it up till June
SnooMc is offline   Reply With Quote