Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Travel Trailer vs. 5th Wheel

My wife and I are planning to full-time when I retire.
We are still trying to decide between a 5th Wheel and a Travel Trailer.
I wanted to ask the owners of the premium travel trailer
about the advantages and disadvantages of towing a travel trailer
as opposed to a 5th Wheel.

(Pro: Don’t need one ton dually, lighter RV, better mpg?
Con: Swaying, wider turns, harder to hook and unhook?)

Thanks.

Harry
harrysteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
5th wheels are much bigger for the most part and have lots of storage, but you lose most of the storage space in the pickup bed. The decor in many of them is old fashioned. They have bigger showers. They look clunky. Hooking up a 5th wheel is pretty simple compared to attaching weight distributing hitches. I believe a 5th wheel is easier to back up.

Airstreams are far more cool.

5th wheels can be gotten for a less money, but don't look very sturdy. Of course prices for better ones are pretty high, so the cost factor may favor an Airstream.

If you are parked in a campground, you may not be able to find a big white box easily, but you'll always spot the Airstream.

I think towing the Airstream is pretty easy, but I've never towed a 5th wheel. The non-aerodynamic quality of a 5th wheel means crosswinds would be no fun.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
There are a number of 5th wheel units that can be pulled with trucks smaller than a 1ton.
Advantage 5th wheel.
1. Living in one is more like being at home. Pretty much standard couch and chair setup.
2. Less likely to sway under normal handling.
3. No special hitch requirements in addition to the TV hitch assembly.
4. You can tow equipment behind the trailer.
5. Cost per square foot is lower.
6. More storage.

Disadvantage 5th wheel:
1. Higher profile, affected more by side winds.
2. Lower TV fuel mileage because of high profile.
3. You need an open bed truck, pickup or flat bed.
4. Requires more clearance for indoor storage
5. Typical life expectance is shorter than A$'s
6. Steep depreciation

Advantage A$
1. Multiple options for TV
2. Low profile
3. Better fuel mileage
4. Higher resale value

Disadvantage A$
1. Most require an equalizer hitch depending on TV
2. Some require special hitch ( Hensley) for proper handling, depending on TV
3. Initial cost HIGH
4. Significant depreciation in first 3 years.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I like traveling light, getting along comfortably but only with the "stuff" necessary. I like the Airstream suspension, the form that slips easily through the wind, and its classic, beautiful and timeless design (inside and out). And I don't need a big tow vehicle that also has to serve poorly as a daily driver.

The 5th wheel trailer cannot do any of these things.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I think the bottom line is going to be space a comfort. If you can live in the space of a AS then your get a better looking better quality for you buck. But if you want tons of room and bring lots of stuff then a 5 wheel with the slides are very nice. Go check some out and think about the space you will have to live in. And a dually is not needed. Plenty of 3/4 tons pull 34 ft 5 wheels.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think that the newer 5th wheels are way too big. Pulling something that big has got to have some down side. They are extremely tall and top heavy. Yes they are a little easier to hitch and manuver. When 5th wheel trailers were not much bigger than Airstreams they towed much better. The extreme size of the mega 5th wheels negates their advantages. You don't have to go super large but most folks do.

Air Streams with the correct hitch setup are much more stable than anything on the road and much more aerodynamic than the SOB (square old box) type trailers. I personally don't understand the concept of bringing something the size of a house with you. If all you are going to do when you camp is sit and watch TV in your recliner then stay at home. When I camp I spent a lot of time not in the trailer and that is the whole reason to camp. Watch this video. The trailer that almost rolls is a top heavy square box. 5th wheels are going to have the same top heavy issues.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A nice hitch on a 5'er is no cheaper than the best possible hitch for a conventional.

The 5'ers handle terribly, with little to no ability to handle winds of any consequence and a very high center of gravity, which drastically limits accident avoidance (as the necessary truck to pull them is equally handicapped).

As someone else has written, they're good enough to take somewhere and park them for a season. Up to maybe ten if well built (and the roof replaced a few times).

Think about it a little this direction: do you summer in Death Valley and winter in Buffalo? Then a heavy 5'er might be the way to go if never outside. Is "camping" is just more TV watching in a different locale?

As the attraction of camping is to be outside as much as possible then expensively heated and cooled cubic air space is wasted space. After when we are inside we are either sitting or sleeping. A condominium is hardly needed. I always find it funny (sad, stupid funny) that the 5'er owners moving around Texas in the summer find it necessary to run the generator to keep the [2] roof A/C's running as they roll the highways . . takes hours to cool them back down otherwise.

a] If you want to run the roads with the most stable TT made

b] If you want a TT that will last 40-years

c] If you want a TT that doesn't require a truck

Etc,

then an A/S is right up your alley.

Alternatives abound . . take your time.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

After when we are inside we are either sitting or sleeping.
I've seen plenty of people sitting and sleeping outside them too.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
There is nothing like an Airstream!
To "borrow" a marketing slogan,
"Airstream, there is no substitute!"
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Well, seems to me that if you want to TRAVEL a lot, then a travel trailer makes pretty good sense, and AS makes one of the best, most durable, etc. If you want to spend lots of time in one place, 5ers have lots of room, storage, etc.

Do talk to someone who's towed a 5er for long distances. I've not ever towed one, but have heard from owners and have read many posts from 5er owners, who have complained bitterly about the "pounding" that the trailer gives the tow vehicle and it's occupants while in tow. That might be brand specific or hitch specific - I'm just too ignorant in this area to venture any sort of opinion. But do ask around.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
My father would never own a 5er for 1 main reason to many steps, as he has gotten older he's been having more and more trouble with steps. The clearance for gas stations, trees and bridges can be a problem to, 9.5-10.5' for an AS and 13-14' for a 5er.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Fifth wheel drop.

Hi, you won't get one of these with a travel trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5th wheel drop..jpg
Views:	681
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	159388  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
I've pulled them all more miles than I care to mention. For towing and handeling, give me a good quality 5th wheel any day. If you haven't had the opportunity to pull one, you will really be shocked how stable they are compared to an equivalent sized TT.

With that said, stay away from any 5th wheel built on Lippert frames like the low end Keystones or Forest Rivers. There are tons of stories on the web talking about pin box separation. Good names to look for are Mobile Suites, Arctic Fox, Travel Supreme. They are spendy, but well worth the money.

I will agree with everyone here in saying that the Airstreams are just about the best towing TT's you can find. It's just an apple to oranges comparison with a 5th wheel.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Wow! Thank you guys! And thanks, Perry. That was a great video. Darn, my head is spinning now! I may have to go back to square one.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

1. We plan to sell the house and go full-time. If I want one that will last 15-20 years from now, something we can travel in and then maybe settle down in later, how far back in years can the Airstream be? What's the earliest model year I should consider?

2. Can I get an Airstream under 30' for $30,000 or less?

3. Are they four season, or can they at least be used down to 20 degrees and up to 90 degrees?

I'm glad I asked that question here. You guys have given me a very different perspective than what I've gotten elsewhere.

Again, thanks!

Harry
harrysteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Had a 28 foot 5th a year ago,,, and side winds and over all mpg were off the chart...Just gave up and put my foot to the floor and got fuel... Climbing stairs to get in it,, and more to get up into bed that were steep..

Got our 27 foot Airstream back in Feb and have had it out alot this year already,, Mostly on days with 40 and 50 mph winds... Mpg is 2 times better and no death grip on the steering wheel.. A little loss for elbow room inside but the stableness and safty is worth it,,,

Hitching the 5th was a pain,, as you always had to think,, tail gate up, tail gate down,,, center the ball,,, ba, ba, ba,,

Our Airstream pulls just fine with our 1/2 ton Dodge without any fancy hitch,, I can back it up and be pulling out in less than 4 minutes with a walk around light and safty check... The 5th wheel was a 15 minute battle every time..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
An Airstream isn't magic... a lot of the systems inside ANY modern travel trailer are the same... there are light-weight 5th-wheels out there as well, but generally the heavy-weight monsters of the day have to be 5th wheels just because of their extreme weights.

My dad tows a 28' 5th wheel... it isn't easier to back up at all... getting a 5th wheel to change direction backing up requires the truck to pivot a lot... and if you are trying to get into a tight spot, the chances are there isn't going to be a lot of room for a 21 foot long truck to wiggle. It's very heavy, and dropping the 'landing gear' requires it to be on very solid ground or blocked a lot... if it falls, you are in big trouble. See the above photo of when it falls on your truck.

Without good clearance of the bed, you can find yourself getting into trouble on rough terrain... even a steep driveway could bind the bunk into the bed of the truck.

Once your all hooked up though, heavy-weight aside, they are easier to tow... but you loose a lot of that advantage when they get sooo tall they get pushed around in the wind.

If I was looking at that lifestyle myself, I'd probably go with a diesel pusher motorhome and a little tow-behind car. Airstreams are about being efficient and integrating with the environment... I always see lots of outdoor patio stuff around an Airstream... these big 5th wheels everyone runs for the slide-out living room when they get back...

I guess it just depends what you want...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Watched a 5er coming towards me on the 401 in Ontario today. It absolutely dwarfed the truck that was pulling it and I can't imagine those huge sides and front profile being anything but a liability in even a moderate wind. If you intend to travel about then a TT would be better, in my opinion, even with considerably less room to play with. There's also an issue with steps, as has been mentioned elsewhere; they're a long way off the ground! That said, if you like lots of room and won't be moving about much then maybe a 5er might suit you.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysteven View Post
Wow! Thank you guys! And thanks, Perry. That was a great video. Darn, my head is spinning now! I may have to go back to square one.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

1. We plan to sell the house and go full-time. If I want one that will last 15-20 years from now, something we can travel in and then maybe settle down in later, how far back in years can the Airstream be? What's the earliest model year I should consider?

2. Can I get an Airstream under 30' for $30,000 or less?

3. Are they four season, or can they at least be used down to 20 degrees and up to 90 degrees?

I'm glad I asked that question here. You guys have given me a very different perspective than what I've gotten elsewhere.

Again, thanks!

Harry
Any model, Airstream or otherwise, is going to require regular care to make it 15+ years. Keeping it out of the elements is the #1 easy way to prolong the life of any trailer. If you were full-timing in one spot, a covered pad would be perfect - even though you loose a bit of the charm of an Airstream. So, anything in good shape can be kept in good shape... I'd shoot for mid 90's and up if you are looking for something that doesn't need a rebuild.

$30K will get you into the 90's for that size...

If you are full-timing in sub-zero (C), you'll want to make sure you've got tank-heaters... the good and bad of the Airstream design is a lot of the plumbing is hidden away and not easy to keep warm... I don't know of any factory Airstream meant for continuous freezing temps... it's hard on everything...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
To answer one of your questions. AS go back to the 50's. We have a 1968. Problem with the older ones you need to do a lot of work to get them where you want them. I'm on my second remodel this time taking the shell of to fix the frame. Plus they are only 7 ft wide. The later models are 8 to 8.5 feet wide. You could get into an 80's or 90's for $30,000 easy and if you find a nice one , not have to do much to it.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Hope this isn't too far off topic. Found this Web site and fifth-wheel photos while researching mobile broadband equipment and plans. IF I ever win the lottery, this might be an alternative to our Bambi. However, it would seriously limit boondocking opportunities:

New Horizons RV

Note: For info on mobile broadband, see "Communications" in the menu bar.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote