Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bennington , Nebraska
It’s funny how we all tend to go through the same thought process on which model to pick. I have been to the AS dealer once and saw the Flying Clout 26 foot model, a 25 foot GT, 28 foot Serenity, and 30 foot Classic. I did like them all and left more confused that I was going in. The Flying Cloud was my lead choice gong in but kind of fell to the back as it felt small to me. Might be because it was the first one I went in. I also get the thing around cost and whether or not you should pay so much more for aesthetics. It seems crazy but I seem to be going down that path as I just liked the feel of the more expensive units along with things like how the cabinets opened. I must be crazy to be considering paying more for that.

We are also leaning towards twin beds for the reasons that have been mentioned. We also feel they would be more usable as a TV viewing area vs a queen, Anyone have other thoughts on this? I’m also leaning towards the convection oven vs regular oven as I’m a Traeger smoker guy and they have a travel version that I could use. Though they run off electric so it might be hard to use when boondocking unless I get a generator.
ChitownMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:47 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
The Flying Cloud of any size is really no smaller than a GT or Serenity of the same size. It's just the details that are different. (That said, I REALLY wanted the Serenity colors! It's entirely possible that those lighter walls would make it feel bigger. Also, the cupboards over the galley are a bit smaller on the FC because of the airplane style doors, but that didn't matter to me so much.)

We chose the front twin because it felt bigger with the longer "hallway." Also, the access to the underbed storage from the outside was a big plus. We tend to have more outside stuff than inside stuff.

Although I've had a convection oven before and liked it, we went with the regular oven because we boondock and I'd rather just use the propane oven. But I still go back and forth on this decision...maybe I'd rather have the space and just not cook...?

And just a plug for the Albuquerque Airstream dealer...they've been great to work with so far; responsive and helpful.
SnooMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Part of it also depends on how you want your overhead cabinets to open. We liked the “airplane style” flip up cabinets as they give easier access to the contents. The sliding ones look classy, however. We would have picked the GT if price was no object.

We picked the Flying Cloud and then poured the money we saved into 500w of solar and 500ah of lithium because we boondock and visit national and forest service parks frequently without hookups. That’s just us, though.

The general wisdom on this forum seems to be to go with a 27’ or longer if you want a queen (to get the North/south bed orientation.) We picked a 25FB because we wanted twins with the increased windows and storage space. Twins make the interior seem bigger.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
"Although I've had a convection oven before and liked it, we went with the regular oven because we boondock and I'd rather just use the propane oven."

Same for us as to why we went with the regular oven. Our previous diesel pusher had one and we loved it but we also had an onboard generator so there was no issue when we dry camped. On a trip last fall we had a lot of rain and pretty cold weather. I am not a fan of going outside in bad weather to fire up the generator. The regular oven in our GT works great and is our go to cook when the weather is bad and don't want to go outside to set up the grill or generator. We don't regret it but that is just what has worked for us.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bennington , Nebraska
Things are getting serious now. We just booked our tickets for the Hershey RV show as we think that’s our best option to see the most AS models all in one place. Maybe we will get to meet Patrick Botticelli in person. ��
ChitownMike is offline   Reply With Quote