Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
So if you pull the blue one out of its box, do you have to scrape the white one off your windshield, or else get double-charged for the TV toll?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I was wondering about this, as nothing is mentioned in the printed instructions that they give you with the transponders.
I only recently signed up for ez-pass, because I so rarely drive on any of the toll roads around here, it isn't worth the trouble. BUT, they recently made one bridge into Boston an 'ez-pass only" road. they took out the toll-booths entirely, so if you don't have a transponder, they mail you a bill (after taking a pic of your plate as you go through), and it costs more.
So I finally got around to getting the transponders.
Odd that MA can figure out if you're hauling your trailer, but the other states can't(?) aren't they all using the same hardware?
That last thing about having 2 separate transponders doesn't sound at all practical, since these things are made to be permanently glued to the windshield. They should just give you a transponder for the trailer only (rather than "trailer + TV) that you can take out of the glove box when you're hauling.

We have a pair. One marked truck only, one marked Airstream. The glue is between the windshield and one side of the heavy duty Velcro. That Velcro attaches to the other side of the Velcro on the transponders so you just pop one off and pop the other one on depending on what configuration you're in. Slightly annoying but not compared to long toll booth lines....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #23
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have a NJ account for our EZ-Pass. I have one unit and it is white. I use it at all places where EZ-Pass is usable and it counts the axels when we have the trailer and it charges us accordingly. I have run into only 1 trouble spot and it is on the crossing from NJ into Penna. on Rt. 78. If I use the high speed ( non-stop) lane they wrongly charge me as a commercial tractor-trailer at $16. If I go through the toll plaza ( also non-stop but at slow speed and may be a line) they charge me the correct $2.50. I hope Florida catches up with the rest and begins to accept it. I just hate to get a dedicated unit for our few times using it in Fla.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #24
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
We have a pair. One marked truck only, one marked Airstream. The glue is between the windshield and one side of the heavy duty Velcro. That Velcro attaches to the other side of the Velcro on the transponders so you just pop one off and pop the other one on depending on what configuration you're in. Slightly annoying but not compared to long toll booth lines....
Well, that makes a little more sense.
I'll have to check mine to see if there's velcro. I didn't notice any when I put it on. It still seems like there are differences in the rules for the different states, (which lane you need to be in, etc) even though they're using the same system.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Well, that makes a little more sense.
I'll have to check mine to see if there's velcro. I didn't notice any when I put it on. It still seems like there are differences in the rules for the different states, (which lane you need to be in, etc) even though they're using the same system.
I don't think they are the same systems. That's the problem....VHS vs. Beta. They are reciprocal in their communications for billing is all.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #26
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
I have EZ Pass from NJ. I have Sun Pass from fla. NJ has many unmanned tolls. EZ is cheaper than waiting for the bill. EZ Pass mounts with 3M Velcro, heat proof. I have four license tags on my EZ Pass account. EZ costs $1 month service charge. With SunPass you can get a sticker or go for the portable, with suction cups. NJ gives me an extra discount for not dying young. There are many places to buy a sun pass, I got mine at Walgreens. NJ EZ Pass is harder to find, I got mine from an office at The Mall, and they are available at highway rest stops. My complaint is the money "on account" at sun-pass is locked with no interest.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Farmville , Virginia
Florida toll roads will also scan your license plate and mail you the bill. No transponder required.
2013 Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab (Silver)
VA Plate: WYO2VA
HoffmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #28
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
WA has been using "Good to Go," toll passes which are good only in WA in a few spots. One of them, the 520 bridge, has no good alternative to the pass. If you cross that bridge without a pass they photograph your plate, add a confiscatory surcharge and mail the bill to you.

We generally program our GPS to avoid toll roads, especially in Florida and Houston, TX.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Unless you know the toll structure for a given system you are better off paying cash. Yes there are a few states that give a reduction for EZ Pass but there are a few that KILL you when using it.

All of the bridges over the Delaware between NJ and Pa charge an RV at commercial rates when using EZ Pass and that can be expensive. The bridge on route 78 should cost me $2.00 if I pay cash. I am charged $11.65 with EZ Pass. Now I can get the difference back if a call and request it. The Maine Turn Pike over charge me $22.00 the last trip. The 2 bridges on 301 in Maryland used to charge me $25.00 with EZ Pass for a $10.00 toll. They have corrected that and now charge by axles with no discount for towed equipment. $25.00 all around. They need the money

Pa. turn pike is OK and does give a discount for EZ Pass. But unless you know it can get expensive.

Most systems have a web site and post their toll structure but that may not be what you are charged so check and know before you get stung.

I had a 2 year conversation with New Jersey on the overcharging. They finally fixed it by putting a statement on the web site that all RVs would be wrongly charged while using EZ Pass. How many of the 10,000 plus RVs and boat trailers that cross that bridge a week even knew they had a web site?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
THANK YOU ALL!!!

...for posting this - I never even thought about needing a different EZ Pass for when I am pulling the camper. I just got off phone with Virginia EZ Pass and have one on the way. Will definitely save me some time. Also thanks for the heads up regarding overcharging - I will keep better attention to bills now.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Discount for IPass in IL is substantial. 50%

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My EZpass is from Maryland and I can list as many vehicles as I want tide to the one transponder. I do not have to identify the trailer be it 1, 2, or 3 axles. So I can drive any combination of car, truck, and trailer as I can muster and the EXpass bills me accordingly. In the 15+ years that I have had this transponder (repaced once) I have never been billed out of the ordinary.

Happy traveling....
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #33
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Howie. I use the Rt. 78 bridge a lot and found the same issue as you but ONLY if I use the high speed lane. If I use the plaza and go through the booth my Ez-pass charges me correctly. I've done this the past few times with no problems. If going south and use the DMB I've had no problems there but it's been awhile. The past few times I've taken 95 through Phila and there is no toll or go out and use I-81.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Thumbs up EZPass for the truck/not the AS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraR View Post
Hi:

There's no category for 'tolls while on the road' that I could see. And I'm now researching that bit for my upcoming trip.

What do you do for a toll pass if you live in, say South Dakota, but you travel EVERYWHERE else---East, West, Central, South....etc?

Advice needed and appreciated. I've spoken with NY Ezpass which covers only 14 states and I spoke with IPass from IL, and they cover only 14 states (pretty much the same ones as Ezpass).

Thanks everyone.
Kira
We have an EZPass in New York which works in NJ and MA and several other states. However we always stop at the Pay booth in lieu of easing through slowly as is normal with just the truck. Attendants generally make the charge seeing the EZPass device. I have no idea if the payment device can be issued for the TV and the TT combined. If you find out more info do let us know.

Best of luck.
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
One thing to consider if getting EZ. Some states have a recurring charge $1 a month I think while others do not. Before I knew better I signed up for NY but at the time they had the surcharge. I learned more with some reading on line and canceled the NY account and signed up with MA as they do not have a surcharge.
I have a MH so don't have the trailer issues to contend with but if I did I would go the 2nd transponder route.

I don't understand the reluctance to having multiple transponders if you don't have to pay more.

In the 5 years I have been using EZ I only had one problem when I followed a Semi too closely through a toll both so I got a bogus charge as my transponder didn't register. I was entering the Tpk so simply picked up the receipt, got off the next exit and came right back on. kept the receipts and a couple of email to Indiana and it was resolved.

I have used EZ extensively in OH, IN, PA and IL plus one trip in MD with only the single problem stated above.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
This is from the NJ Ezpass website:

I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my tag?
Yes. In this instance the equipment in the lane is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer and you will be charged accordingly. However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a tag programmed for the vehicle classification you use most frequently. You should never use your tag in a vehicle type other than the one you initially requested (i.e. Car tag in a tractor-trailer).

I could not find the statement that you mention. Can you please point me to it? The reason I am asking is because I have a NJ EZPass, but I am now thinking of changing it as they charge a $1/month fee. But I also wanted to check to make sure I am not being overcharged by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I had a 2 year conversation with New Jersey on the overcharging. They finally fixed it by putting a statement on the web site that all RVs would be wrongly charged while using EZ Pass. How many of the 10,000 plus RVs and boat trailers that cross that bridge a week even knew they had a web site?
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post

I could not find the statement that you mention. Can you please point me to it? The reason I am asking is because I have a NJ EZPass, but I am now thinking of changing it as they charge a $1/month fee. But I also wanted to check to make sure I am not being overcharged by them.
each authority has it's own website and they go out of there way to hide the toll information as much as possible. Here are toll charts for the Delaware Manorial Bridge and the Delaware River joint Bridge Authority. I have copied the section from the DRJBA that covers RVs. Open the website and see if you can even find it.

Current Tolls

https://www.drjtbc.org/default.aspx?pageid=102

(Trailers: Automobiles with trailers in tow are $2. This rate applies for Class 11, 12, and 13 auto/trailer classifications. Class 2 trucks -- two axles -- with trailers are charged at $4 per axle ($3.60 per axle off-peak with E-ZPass). So a two-axle truck with a one-axle trailer would be the equivalent of a three-axle truck: a $12 toll, or $10.80 E-ZPass off-peak.)

I pay $2.00 with cash but $20.00 with EZ Pass

Old 07-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Hows this one for governmental logic?

New Jersey charges , like most others, a $1.00 a month service fee on the account. That has been in effect for quite some time. Now they charge an additional $1.00 a month statement fee. This fee is for a computer generated e mail to let you know that your statement is available on line. My statement is always available on line.

I questioned this and was advised that the fee could be dropped and I could either receive a bi monthly e mail or snail mail notice that my statement was available on line for FREE. Now step back and figure that one out.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
I chose to go with the Massachusetts program. No monthly fee for transponder and I get electronic statement. Also free.

No comment on NJ government actions or policies.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I chose to go with the Massachusetts program. No monthly fee for transponder and I get electronic statement. Also free.
I think you are missing the point here. The toll is set by the authority controlling the bridge/road you are on not the issuer of your E Z Pass. If that authority is overcharging that charge will flow through to you no matter who you ar using.

You have to know or you have to pay.