Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Making a living while traveling

Do you make a living while traveling in your Airstream? Whether you fulltime or not, I'm curious about what kind of work (for pay) can be done while traveling. I'm curious about how you balance family, friends, bills, house maintenance, etc?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:43 AM   #2
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Work while traveling

I've been thinking about this, as well. I have gotten some useful ideas from the magazine, "Workamper News". It is full of job offers, stories, and general info about people on the road that work part-time or full-time part of the year. Bill

click here - http://www.workamper.com/WorkamperNews/WNIndex.cfm
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
This something to keep an eye on.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Well, I do work from my Airstream. In fact I'm more work than camper. On RV.net there is a "workamper" section as well.
I work in SC/NC as a manufacturers rep in the golf industry. I also do quite a bit of work via phone and internet so the coach is somewhat high tech in that it bristles with computers and LCD screens.
Good luck and let me know if I can help.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use our Airstream to do the trade show circuit, promoting our product. They are trips that we would make anyway, but it's a lot more fun in our Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Hey!! That's not fair! You can't just tell us that you promote your products and leave it at that... you know how curious we all are here... Do you guys make MooseTags?? 'er what?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We use our Airstream to do the trade show circuit, promoting our product. They are trips that we would make anyway, but it's a lot more fun in our Airstream.
What is your product?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
good opportunity

Hello,
My wife and I have had our own business for the last 8 years. It can be done from anywhere, home, airstream, etc. Not only good money making opportunity, but fun! Just pm me if you want more info.

Thanks,
John
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Contract pilot. Travel where the work is with the Airstream.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Good Guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Hey!! That's not fair! You can't just tell us that you promote your products and leave it at that... you know how curious we all are here... Do you guys make MooseTags?? 'er what?
You are closer than you know just call Brian Marvin.They should make their way to Jackson Center and make a sales call, Airstream could use their product.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Do you make a living while traveling in your Airstream? Whether you fulltime or not, I'm curious about what kind of work (for pay) can be done while traveling. I'm curious about how you balance family, friends, bills, house maintenance, etc?
I'm still looking for my first Airstream -- a classic motorhome -- so I can live in it while I travel around the country from contracting job to contracting job. Currently, I'm living in a Residential Suites in Andover, MA and soon will be working out of a hotel in Orlanda, FL for the next six months.

I enjoy the travel time between jobs and would prefer to be doing the travel in an Airstream.
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Texas
Well, I admit that I am a bit envious of all those that are able to up and leave in their Airstream and who are fulltiming it. As I search the interweb here, I find people who are looking for jobs that they can do and live in their camper full time. I am opposite. I have the fulltiming job but can't seem to get the loan to be able to purchase my first Airstream....especially for a guy with no credit, collateral, or capital. So you can see my envy to those guys who have the trailer and are already fulltiming it.

Anyways, I am a member at Workamper.com and see that there are plenty of job lisitings for guys who want the workamping lifestyle. So that is a good place for you to look into Yukionna. As far as balancing my family. I am single and have no children, so I don't have an immediate family that I have to be 100 percent concerned with. And as far as bills, your bills should be fairly limited since your basic needs are limited due to the availability of being self contained. Most people who jump into full time workamping, usually sell their home to support the purchase of their rv. And so house maitenance should be limited as well in that respect. But on the other hand, I can't give you any more advice on that since I dont own my own home, and I rent otherwise. So you can see how I envy those who can jump right into the lifestyle fairly easily (from my eyes). Anyways, best of luck and I hope I could be a little bit of a help....
quentin541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
I'm a web designer, which has supported us for years on the road. Recently my family and I began a web magazine just for full-timer travelers who also work and though I'll admit, it doesn't make as much of an income as web design does, we've spoken with dozens of travelers and put together what I consider a great resource (if very, very long) about how to do just that: How to Make a Living on the Road
clicknathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I am a graphic designer and as I step into semi-retirement, I am grateful that I can work from the road quite nicely. My clients think it's a hoot that I'm working on their projects from some pretty place out in the boonies. As long as I have a decent internet connection (or even a not-so-fast one) I can function. If I can't find a connection all the time, I can still do the work, and then transfer files, etc, as needed when I do have a good connection.

We handle all our bills online, even when we are at home, so being on the road presents no issues with that. Granted, not everything in my business can be handled remotely, but at this stage in my career, it is working out quite well, and it affords us a lot more flexibility and opportunity for camping, whether it is a long weekend (sometimes my clients don't even realize I'm gone)or a longer trip...I always warn them that I may have a few black-out days while actually moving from one location to another ... but so far, I have not missed a beat. I consider myself lucky that I'm able to pull this off.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I am still working, but only require a connection to the internet for my work. I do software development and software testing on two laptops, one with windows and the other with linux. In addition I maintain a remote server which needs monitoring daily. Most of the time I work from a home office, but many times will be working from various campgrounds either using wifi or using an air card to connect to the internet. This has worked quite well and is especially nice for a change of scenery.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #16
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
I wonder...would people be interested in a web page that basically just lists out other full-timing or lots-of-the-timing Airstreamers who are living / working from their rigs? Just something simple that people could submit their info to be listed on, maybe a cool way to find a big list of people to start communicating with, maybe meetup every now and then?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
I am a preacher that pastored 40 years and now, semi-retired, I airstream around through several states preaching for pastors that I know. I am having the time of my life.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I'm still working full time but have a couple services I can offer to my fellow campers: haven't started yet, and will roll it out soon.

One of our NorCal fellow 'streamers is an expert on repairs/improvments and has provided assistance during our local rallies. If you have a house on wheels it always needs something and some of those things need real expertise. Who else has a spare deep-cycle battery in case you need it, or can properly reseal those holes in the top?