Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Thumbs down EZ Pass and double tolls

This is an announcement for all who will be using the Delaware Memorial Bridge, between NJ and Delaware, in their travels and have EZ Pass.

While there are posted toll for a car/pickup towing a trailer based on te number of axles your EZ Pass will be charged DOUBLE those rates, reflecting commerical rates, and no credit will be given when you question this FRAUD.

If you tow across this bridge you are well advised to use a staffed booth and pay with cash to insure you are not taken

Also if you check the web site for the other Delaware river toll bridges operated by the Delaware Joint Toll Bridge Autority, a seperate commission, they suggest using a staffed lane when towing to insure proper charges. I have not towed, with EZ Pass, using any off these bridges but will not risk in when and if I do.

I have not had this problem with the Chesapeake bridge at Annapolis or the Lane bridge across the Potomac River on 301.

If you have had a similar experience with EZ Pass at other bridges or roads please add your comments for the good of all.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
Thanks for the heads up!

I didn't have ez-pass when I traveled that route last summer but it's good to know for when I go up there again.

The rates in Delaware were shocking enough, I don't need to be charged commercial rates!

Now I'll have to stop by the MVA and get one of those protective bags so I can keep the ez-pass from triggering if I go to a pay booth.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Angry Austin becoming the toll road capital of the world

At least it be will within the next 10 years. We'll have gone from precisely zero toll roads, to having virtually every single major artery in and out of town, pre-existing or otherwise, with some sort of a tolling component. We'll have an EZ Pass for the car, but for our other 5 axles we're going to make an effort to avoid them all, EZ Pass or no EZ Pass.

Double-taxing bloodsuckers.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
At least it be will within the next 10 years. We'll have gone from precisely zero toll roads, to having virtually every single major artery in and out of town, pre-existing or otherwise, with some sort of a tolling component. We'll have an EZ Pass for the car, but for our other 5 axles we're going to make an effort to avoid them all, EZ Pass or no EZ Pass.

Double-taxing bloodsuckers.
The New Hampshire major arteries are set-up in a similar fashion. They get ya coming into the state and then they get you when you try to leave! Mapquest has become my friend as I learn all the back roads in and out of the state.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Amazing. I'd never seen a toll road until we drove from OKC to Tulsa on our trip a couple summers ago. Well, I guess there's a little toll bridge at Hood River, OR, but otherwise, the West is pretty toll road free at the moment. Sounds like a nightmare of toll roads back east!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Even the name, EZ Pass, ticks me off. It's like "Oh here! We're going to actually HELP you help us rip you off with this convenient, innocuous looking little gizmo! We're doing you a FAVOR with this EZ way to lighten your wallet, so you maybe won't have to think of the abhorrent injustice of it. Aren't we nice to do so, in our big shiny toll plazas?"

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I've traveled on the RT 1 by-pass several times pulling the Bambi (but not the bridge) and always stopped at a booth to pay. Each time they waved me through when the sign said "Paid-EZ Pass". So, one time I decided to drive through the express lane. It resulted in them sending me a nice, suitable for framing, picture of the rear of the Bambi and a bill for $1.00. They waived the 'administratve fee' of $25.00.
Go figure.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Dually surcharges in Maine

I know that we're a long way up the hill from Delaware but don't be surprised at the toll charges for a dual wheel pickup in Maine! More than double the cost for a car or standard pickup. I've often wondered if I could "sneak" by using the E-Zpass - since on several occasions the toll booth attendent has failed to notice the duals! How would E-Zpass know?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Down here in sunny Floriduh, our tolls are advertised for a two axle car. More than two axles, with a total of four tires, results in a much higher toll. One of our toll bridges, for example, is $1.00 for a car. If you have a single axle trailer, it is $1.00 per axle, or $3.00. I have to pay $4.00 to tow our Overlander across this bridge. Needless to say, I don't tow our trailer that way more than I have to.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Amazing. I'd never seen a toll road until we drove from OKC to Tulsa on our trip a couple summers ago. Well, I guess there's a little toll bridge at Hood River, OR, but otherwise, the West is pretty toll road free at the moment. Sounds like a nightmare of toll roads back east!
Hey Stef,

I cross that bridge about a 1000 times when I'm back in the area. Let me tell you....it ain't no fun!! A real white knuckle ride. The bridge is an antique from the 40's and is just wide enough to get 2 semi's past each other with an inch or 2 to spare. If you are towing a trailer across, BEWARE of other RVers. They hang over the dividing line and are a regular cause of crashes...not the log trucks you would think!

If you have to cross the Columbia in that area, go 20 miles further west and use the FREE, WIDER, NEWER bridge at The Dalles . (My preferred route)

And when in Denver, the E-450 is a newer toll road that skirts east of Denver and links I-25 to I-70. It is a great ride with little traffic, but it cost me almost $20 with my van and single axle motorcycle trailer last year. OUCH!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Hey Stef,.....
.....And when in Denver, the E-450 is a newer toll road that skirts east of Denver and links I-25 to I-70. It is a great ride with little traffic, but it cost me almost $20 with my van and single axle motorcycle trailer last year. OUCH!
20 bleeping dollars!! Are you kidding? How long is this road?

As far as I know, we only have one toll road here in Georgia and it's only about 5 miles long and completely clogged with traffic. But then, so are all of the roads in the Atlanta area. Tolls don't seem to make much difference. But, my experience is limited with toll roads.

FWIW, I haven't been to Austin in probably 20 years. Back then it was a great place to live. From what I hear these days it's just another crowed city. That's sad.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Sounds like a nightmare of toll roads back east!
And it is going to get much worse. VA and NC are in discussion to toll booth both I-85 and I-95 from border to border in both states It might not be a bad idea on I-95 if they spend the money to upgrade it, it is dangerous in the current conditon, they either need to repair it or cut the speedlimits back and enforce them rigorously. I am sure there are plenty of other roads out there that are as bad too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
EZ, Denver Toll Road and other stuff...

Hello all -

Reading the thread with GREAT interest.

Read about the toll road in OK. from OKC to Tulsa. LOVED THAT ROAD!! The tolls were however seriously bad for the travel pocket book. Road was great! A really settled ride, Cops enforcing the limit! (OK in my book) and a straight shot. The $'s however, were shocking IIRC it was like $30 to cross that state on the TR.

That brings me to the ring 'toll road' around Denver. Again, a great road as far as roads go. Hey, it's new, it ought to be great! Again, the distance and the Tolls were SHOCKING! Never again. Is was over $25 dollars to get from I76 to I25 going south - AROUND 1 CITY!!!! NEVER again!

Regarding the EZ pass - Everyone might remember that they charge you for the priviledge of having an EZ PASS as well as charging the tolls. When we lived in the DC/VA/MD area they were trying to get EZ Pass off the ground and offered free modules for early adapters. NO longer. Now you pay for the unit, the tolls, the screw ups and so forth. If there is a quibble with your bill you better PAY it and then try to get it fixed, else they drop you off the rolls and then you get SERIOUS bills/tickets in a quick hurry!!!!!

They are NEVER faster than sending out the 'bills'/ tickets.... the fixes take their own sweet time... if they ever happen.

Sorry, skkreeeetttchhhh. Soap box is away. Back to the regular thread!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:08 AM   #14
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Wow, ouch.
When I pulled my trailer from Virginia to Montana I paid one toll. The Ohio Turnpike. I went to the staffed booth and paid the 4 axle toll. about $7. Since there do not seem to be any tolls within 500 miles I wil lbe sendign my Smart-tags back.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Info...

HI ALL...
Anyone care 2 fill Me in on the terms Rock Island Line & Mason-Dixon line ? I hear them in loads of C/W Songs & seems this topic has a kinda Bridge theme...I 4rt I jus ask... FANX...Chris.....
Old 05-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Chris,

The Rock Island Line was a railroad, originally built to connect the Illinois and the Mississippi Rivers. There is also a popular song about it by Lead Belly.

The Mason-Dixon line is an early survey line between Pennsylvania and Maryland, but it also was the dividing line between the free and slave states.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #17
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
We stopped using the PA Turnpike when the tolls for the motorhome and toad (5 axels) hit $37 EACH WAY. Traveling a little further north on 80 saves us way more than the additional gas burned to get there. Not to mention I think it's a easier road to travel through PA on in an RV.

I don't mind paying tolls if they are reasonable and the roads travelled show signs of these tax dolalrs at work, but the PA Turnpike is always a mess.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
We stopped using the PA Turnpike when the tolls for the motorhome and toad (5 axels) hit $37 EACH WAY. Traveling a little further north on 80 saves us way more than the additional gas burned to get there. Not to mention I think it's a easier road to travel through PA on in an RV.

I don't mind paying tolls if they are reasonable and the roads travelled show signs of these tax dolalrs at work, but the PA Turnpike is always a mess.
Here, here for the PA Turnpike!!! I've never been so beat up - with or without the AS!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #19
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
America 4 $ale

Illinois has just sold one of its toll roads to a company overseas, really, no kidding!

But real soon, gas at the pump will be priced without tax.

As technology improves (using a combo of GPS and EZpass) and this system is being tested as we speak, you will NOT be taxed per gal, YOU will taxed per MILE.

As gas mileage improves the state, city and fed will lose millions in tax revenue, solution: tax us per mile, just think about it. Your little "Speed Pass" is picked-up at the gas pump, it knows how many miles you traveled since your last gas stop and charges your CC or Debt card+the gas per gal price, smooth.

They track your every mile, know when you cross state, city and local lines, how fast your going, oops going to fast, instant speeding ticket! The company that is buying the toll road in IL will be tracking speed and splitting the speeding fines with the state, the state likes it.

But it's all for our own protection, of course.

Ah, it's a brave new world.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote