Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 03:34 PM   #41
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
So Howie, Does that mean that they will charge you $1 to send you an e-mail notification that has no cost to it but will send you a mail statement that will cost them postage for free ????? I agree that makes no sense at all but then again welcome to the great state of NJ. I just checked my EZ-pass usage. I crossed the Delaware R in May using Rt. 78 with my truck & trailer. Going through the toll plaza using my EZ-pass I was correctly charged the $2 toll. This was NOT the high speed lane but the plaza lanes. As I've said before if I use the high speed lane they hit me for $13 I think. The commercial truck rate.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
NJ EZPass

Holy moly, I just looked at my EZPass statement....pulling thorough Chicago May 31, June 1, when I visited the ZipDee factory. My Garmin routed me through downtown and thus, my trip through Chi town cost me $36.20 in tolls.....

I may have to check this out....but, I think I will attempt to bypass the toll roads on my next trip....Or route myself around all the Chicago stuff....

But, NJ EZPass only charges me $1.00 per month administrative fee.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yes. NJ charges the so called "Convenience Fee" when sending you or receiving from you anything via e mail.

We can register our cars and trailer via e mail for a $2.00 Convenience Fee or send then in via snail mail for $.49 and some state employee labor. Guess which one I use?

I would certainly check the Chicago toll bill against the published toll schedule for those roads. You may have a refund coming.

It has long been said "New Jersey Has The Best Politicians Money Can Buy". But now that you mention Chicago it could be a contest.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #44
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
I add or subtract vehicle tags on the NJ EzPass web site and have no extra charges but the $1 per month.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
As a fleet manager, I deal with many toll tags-
Dallas, TX - NTTA
Houston, TX - Harris County Toll Road Authority
Kansas City, KS - K-tag
San Francisco, CA - Fastrak
Tulsa, OK - Pikepass
Tampa/Miami, FL - Sunpass
OH, PA, NY, MD, CT, NJ, NY - EZPass
Illinois - Ipass
Indiana - Izoom
I'll be glad when they all work interchangeably nationwide-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Below is a copy of the service charges on my account.

Note one is a Service charge and one is a Statement charge. The Statement charge is for them to send me an e mail once a month that my statement is available on line. My statement is available on line at all times up to the date of the last transaction. Why would I need an e mail to tell me this?

I questioned this and they stopped that charge.

05/17/2015 Stmt Fee 06:37:24 ($1.00) $17.33

05/17/2015 Service Fee 05:12:14 ($1.00) $18.33

Old 07-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I think you are missing the point here. The toll is set by the authority controlling the bridge/road you are on not the issuer of your E Z Pass. If that authority is overcharging that charge will flow through to you no matter who you ar using.

You have to know or you have to pay.
Sorry I wasn't clearer. You said "New Jersey charges , like most others, a $1.00 a month service fee on the account. That has been in effect for quite some time. Now they charge an additional $1.00 a month statement fee. This fee is for a computer generated e mail to let you know that your statement is available on line. My statement is always available on line."

So I replied about the fact I paid no monthly service fee and paid no monthly statement fee using the Mass EZPass system.

I expect the published EZpass toll fees for each state to end up on my account and after 4 years that is what has happened for travel in PA, OH, MD, IN & IL including a trip through Chicago on I90.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile Ez-pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
Holy moly, I just looked at my EZPass statement....pulling thorough Chicago May 31, June 1, when I visited the ZipDee factory. My Garmin routed me through downtown and thus, my trip through Chi town cost me $36.20 in tolls.....

I may have to check this out....but, I think I will attempt to bypass the toll roads on my next trip....Or route myself around all the Chicago stuff....

But, NJ EZPass only charges me $1.00 per month administrative fee.
when coming from NC when on I 65 when reach I 80 go west one toll then go North on I 294 maybe I 94 to north pick up I 355 several small tolls to zip-dee now where #36.20 in tolls plus keeps you out of chi. town
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Scrap gps and mapquest, study old fashioned maps, modern tech not always rite. I have been lad astray to many times by gps and map quest.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:09 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
As a fleet manager, I deal with many toll tags-
Dallas, TX - NTTA
Houston, TX - Harris County Toll Road Authority
Kansas City, KS - K-tag
San Francisco, CA - Fastrak
Tulsa, OK - Pikepass
Tampa/Miami, FL - Sunpass
OH, PA, NY, MD, CT, NJ, NY - EZPass
Illinois - Ipass
Indiana - Izoom
I'll be glad when they all work interchangeably nationwide-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Virginia uses EZ pass too

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #51
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Howie. I don't know what type of account you have but mine shows ONLY the $1 monthly service fee. I see no other charge made other than the occasional tolls that I incur. Is it possible you have some sort of commercial account ??? I certainly can't explain it. I do not get any USPS mail from them only the monthly E-mail notice that my statement is ready for review.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
No just a victim of a subtle bit of their marketing during one of my many corrective calls on overcharging. They offered to e mail my account statement rather than mail it. Be one who champions general efficiencies I accepted not realizing i was dealing with a Governmental entity where efficiency is a NO NO.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:22 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
NJ EZPass

Just off the phone with the nice folks at NJ EZPass.

My Chicago $20 fee she states may have arisen as a result I did not have the trailer license plate listed on my EZ Pass account. And she is investigating the charge to adjust.

Also, the monthly "Statement fee" of $1.00 in addition to the monthly service fee....occurs when someone requests a monthly statement. The statement is mailed out free on an every other month basis, but monthly statements will cause a $1.00 fee, apparently occurring every other month when the extra statement is requested.

Or, so I am told.

So, I am wondering now what the fee around Chicago will be now that NJ EZ Pass has my trailer tag...."ALUMINUM" so clever, huh? LOL

My curiosity will force me to take the I-65 to I-80 to I-294 to I-94 headed north to Milwaukee....one more time....
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 07-27-2015, 06:21 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
My Chicago $20 fee she states may have arisen as a result I did not have the trailer license plate listed on my EZ Pass account. And she is investigating the charge to adjust.
Interesting - I just looked in my Maryland EZ Pass account, and I don't see a way to add a trailer to it. The only options are motorized vehicles.

We made a mistake with our EZ Pass a few weeks ago. It had worked fine for us on our long road trip involving Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Illinois tolls, but then the following weekend when I went to use it in PA again, it didn't work at all; the traffic light at the toll booth stayed red. Unfortunately I had already rolled past the point where I could grab the ticket (overconfident, I guess, but I've noticed in the past I had to roll up pretty far before it gave me the green light), and my wife said, "Just go, it probably read fine." Then at the exit, the options were "EZ Pass only" and "Cash only", and she said we should take the EZ Pass only on the grounds that the thing probably had in fact worked. (Note Pennsylvania doesn't have gates like some states do.)

Nope. My credit card account number had changed, and due to the tolls from the trip taking a few days to register, I was now ~$50 in the hole in the account, so the account was apparently deactivated, with no notice from EZ Pass about it. I quickly added $100, and it worked fine for me last weekend. Totally my mistake and fault (though a note from Maryland to let me know would've been nice).

I wonder what the fallout will be... probably quite a bit more than the $2 toll it should have been.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Msmoto

The fact that your trailer was not registered on your account is not the issue. My trailer has been listed on my account from the day the account was opened. The problem is the many of the fly through lanes only count axles. Now the fact that my account clearly states that I have a RV trailer one would think the software could be written to note that when I go through a toll with 5 axles that it is my trailer rather than just charging me as a UPS tractor.

I have had conversations with middle management at the Delaware Memorial bridge on this issue. They said management is clearly aware of the issue of overcharging RV equipment but just not interested in correcting it because of the profit aspects.

You have to know the tolls for every road you use EZ Pass or be prepared to be overcharged.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
My problem

Actually, in probably twenty-five or more times through I-294 around Chicago, the tolls have always been about $9.75. This trip I visited ZipDee and the Garmin routed me on a different route back to home in NC.

My problem was to not check my account statement.

While the gal on the phone in New Jersey stated the trailer tag was the issue, I was also a bit skeptical as when in my moho, there axles, plus a towed, two more axles, the fee was the same.....who knows?
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 07-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
I have NY EZ Pass issued by the Thruway Authority and not MTA (there is a difference). I have 4 regular and one Truck with trailer (a newer option that became available two years ago. It is Blue rather than white and comes labeled "truck with travel trailer". You can get it by calling the Staten Island Service Center. In fact I had to specifically call for a number of years to learn it was finally available). I have never paid a service charge. I have never paid a maintenance fee. I do get an email that gives me a link to my monthly statement. From what I remember when I signed up it is a good idea to see what fee structures and surcharges might be in place based on if you do automatic credit card replenishment or replenish when you receive a notice that the account balance is low etc. Basically is just means do your due diligence and make a phone call. I should also caution that it really stinks when you leave the blue one in the windshield when you don't have the trailer in tow...but that is my slow learning curve problem.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote