Old 12-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #1331
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Also, some months ago, my frustration with my small HF media blast cabinet spilled over, as its too small to do things I need.
I began watching CL...

A good sized Dee-Blast Model 38 came up....
About 1/2 tank of gas, and some cash bargaining secured it...
Its was Ugly, not feeding media into the gun... gloves were toast, window was out, and one extraction motor was not working..

Note the last picture... yes that is glass bead media stacked to within 2" of the grate in the hopper!
Maybe 150lb of the stuff... impacted like rock!.... maybe because the PO had no moisture trap on his compressor!
Took us an hour to get it out and lighten it enough to lift into the truck!

Anyway... the media is worth more than I paid for the unit!

So, by trading with a buddy of mine who needed some media blasting....
The Dee-Blast got a makeover...
Some TLC, paint, a motor strip and clean, a wheeled base was added.

Now...

Old 12-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #1332
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Also another cheap CL find ..
It was on my list as a MH makeover necessity

A 30" HF 3 in 1 metal machine...
Sheet metal brake, shear and slip roll.

Again it got some TLC, and paint...

Done.

It will need some more fine tuning when my eyes are better, but some test pieces confirmed its abilities...

Test pieces done...Left to right...
20g steel Sheared, then folded with the brake.
Piece of straight 1/4 rod, rolled into a circle.
20g aluminum sheet, sheared then rolled into a tube.

Like I said, not much progress on the AS, but a little trading and simple tasks has added functionality to the workshop for the future!

Old 12-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #1333
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Sweet!! Have thiught anout getting a riller and brake. You find all the cool stuff!!

Nice sewing machine as well. I need to invest in one as well to do the interior.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #1334
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Sweet!! Have thiught anout getting a riller and brake. You find all the cool stuff!!

Nice sewing machine as well. I need to invest in one as well to do the interior.
Smell check Dave? LOL!
Old 12-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #1335
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Phone too small, fingers too fat, eyes to poor, oh well!

Besides, what i lack in typing ability I also lack in mechanical comprehension
Old 12-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #1336
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Phone too small, fingers too fat, eyes to poor, oh well!

Besides, what i lack in typing ability I also lack in mechanical comprehension
LOL... I hear ya!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #1337
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
A while back, I picked up a HF 4 x 6 vertical/horizontal bandsaw in need of some TLC...
This is how it was...

We fixed its issues(mostly), made some mods(more to come), added a wheeled base, and a fresh coat of paint. Missed some paint in some areas... a function of not seeing well!

Anyway, now I will be able to cut stuff better than before...

Old 01-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #1338
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Is it just me or did others have to look at the top banner to see if they were still on the "Airstream" forum and not on "Tools are Us". 8 posts….24 images and the letters AS used once.

I'm glad to hear the eye is doing better mate as you'd want to be a might bit careful with your mitts around some of that hardware.

Keep up the good work on the AIRSTREAM CLASSIC MH.
Cheers
Tony

PS Hope your Mum has a safe holiday and safer trip back across the pond………long bloody flight to be holed up in a tin can if you ask me. If I was your Mum I'd be asking to meet you halfway………say DC.

Which reminds me of the old WWII tale of a family in the UK, who decided to send the chiclets to family in Toronto Canada to escape the blitz. They telegramed the folks in TO the peticulars on when the kids would arrive in Halifax Nova Scotia Canada and could the family in Toronto be on hand to pick them up?………………………The telegram sent back from Toronto was short and to the point. "You pick them up, as you are closer" It's very difficult for people from the UK to fathom how big North America really is.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:28 AM   #1339
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I know, I know...
But the reality is that's it is all moving forward.... just in a zigzag pattern!

The headlamp castings need refinishing... hence the Blast cabinet!
The Blast cabinet is refinished... behold the Headlamp casting!
Free of paint and junk on all sides because there is space to turn it!

So it is ready to Powdercoat almost..

So we did a test yesterday on a Big block valve cover casting that I wanted to practice on...
Aluminum castings need to be heated to about 450deg F to "Outgas" ...
It was a fail...

All I have is an Eastwood Infra Red curing lamp for larger parts.
Seen here doing some Alfa stuff...

I left it on the valve cover for 20 mins.. up close.
Never reached more than 300deg... I think the mass of the aluminum casting was wicking heat away too fast.
Powder needs closer to 400deg to cure and also it is suggested to run up to 450 to prep the casting and cleanse the pores of junk...

The Headlamp casting are much bigger... so its not gonna work..

I did some research.
Many home powdercoaters use retired home ovens... or many of their parts have been used inside a new home made cabinet...
CL was consulted and a suitable oven was found...
The price was right.... FREE!

Behold... a working Frigidaire Double Electric Oven... both ovens have convection, and broiling elements!

Seems we have some work to do before the castings can be powdercoated...

All Airstream related... you will see!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:07 PM   #1340
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Steve,

That oven looks good enough to be in most peoples homes! I was going to suggest looking for a used restaurant sized pizza oven that would give you a lot of depth and door width.

Amazing work on the tool refurbishing!

Good to see you back at it.

Charly
Old 01-08-2014, 12:45 AM   #1341
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Yeah, its nice, and I feel kinda bad that I will chop, cut and rebuild, but it was going to scrap before I snagged it... and I am pleased with the price!

The truth is that the eye is crummy... what you see here, I could normally do in a few days, and its months of bitty hours of work when I either feel up to it or when I reach critical mass with frustration...
I remind me of the cartoon with the two Vultures sitting together, and one says to the other "Patience my @ss, I'm gonna go down there and kill something!"

I can do "big stuff" like disassemble something and paint it, but detail work is a farce most days. I am scared to tackle some things in case I realize later I screwed it up. My buddy has been helping because he needs stuff blasted and powder coated too. he will be putting a plug on the oven this week so we can do a test. Seems like a fair trade!

Before he headlamp castings are coated, I did spend time figuring out that I cannot rivet these headlamp casting back in place... it would be foolish, as I might need to remove them to repolish the skin. I made a template of the headlamp periphery and will form an aluminum sheet plate to go inside the body, and with this in place the two pieces will sandwich the body with ST screws.

The work that you are seeing is all foundation work... massing tools, equipment, and knowledge for the future. I think when this all clears up, and the go button is ready, its gonna pay off big time.
Being able to cut, bend, roll, weld, and finish Aluminum and other sheet metal will be huge in the grand scheme.
I have a huge book now of sketches and detailed plans, from the Range Rover seat frames, and upholstery patterns, to a detailed and dimensioned tow hitch frame, that incorporates some nice additional features.

After surgery....
Old 01-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #1342
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post

............ to a detailed and dimensioned tow hitch frame, that incorporates some nice additional features.
Steve

Good luck and keep us posted on the surgery! You definitely have assembled the dream garage! Can't wait to see the dream airstream!!

Here is a business idea for you; The airstream inn. People bring their moho's to your bed and breakfast and spend the day in your shop working on projects. Kinda like shop class in high school! What I wouldn't give to go back and say "Hey, I am gonna really pay attention this time in metal shop!!".

Will you be making your tow hitch plans public? If so, I would love to see them. I am looking at beefing up or replacing ours.

We are doing our's kinda in reverse of most people. We are concentrating on mechanical and exterior then and only then interior. Rather do the outside have it looking nice and 100% leak proof and be on folding chairs and cots inside then have a really nice interior that will leak and can't go anywhere! It also gives us a lot of time with an empty space to get a feel of the possible.

I think when we go on our extended road trip when I retire in 3 years, I am going to change one of the stops from the Keys, Fl to the Keys, CA mega tool garage!

(typed on real keyboard with large monitor using spell check )
Old 01-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #1343
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Too funny Dave!
Will be posting plans of what I am up to... and it will be a bolt on hitch FYI.
I have to incorporate some kind of fuel tank protection, as mine has none.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #1344
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Test #1...
The headlamp casting fit in the Oven!

Test #2...
The oven works... very well in fact... reached 450deg F in 15 minutes, and went on through steps to max out at 550deg F!