Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #1921
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Looking behind the dash on my MH had me more than a little freaked out.
The more I learn about the original wiring and any hack changes or additions, the more worried I get. The melted starter wire I found last year was a warning!
With that in mind, electrics are one of my fears, and a short and or electrical fire is a very real.
So, I have been trying to educate myself, and grabbed a couple of books to read...
These two I have now read, and can recommend.
Attachment 297720

Volume 2 has some great specific tasks such as how to add electric fans the right way, and a total bombshell section for me, on how to wire electric seats from another vehicle!

The thing that really scared me was this:
All thru the books he talks about NEVER having a power feed wire to a component that is not fused somehow....
Guess what I have on my Motorhome... and probably yours too....
The main chassis battery wire AND the House battery cables that are huge 0/0 or larger coming from the battery tray, snaking up to the front of the Motorhome, over exhausts and other danger areas to the front drivers bulkhead, and relays, etc... completely un-fused!
Imagining a simple accident that crushed the bodywork against these open and unprotected connections.... or a failed zip tie allowing a cable to drop on the exhaust.... 1000’s of Amps available for a unstoppable fire.
Freaked me out, so I will be working on that too...
Food for thought...
What is with us Brits and electricity; manage to take apart and put back together everything else, but electrical gremlins have us at their mercy?

Keep a running commentary on what you find and do, but know that what is wired on yours will be wired differently on any other Classic; especially mine.

Good luck and may the Airstream Gods protect you from the hell that is Lucas.

You may want to start a new thread.....cause this is going to take a while.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #1922
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I think this thread is going strong!
Yeah, electrics are a dark art to me, which I am trying to learn!

Kinda frustrating few days with distractions galore!
Kids cars giving trouble. What started as a simple oil and filter change blossomed into something much larger after a “Oh, btw, my brakes are squeaking” comment. Front pads were right on the limit, and when I tried to replace them the piston in the caliper was seized. Pads, rebuilt calipers, and brake fluid bleed and flush which I have almost finished.
Maybe I will get back to it next week...
Old 11-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #1923
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
1984 Airstream 345 owner (Newbie) need advice!

Went to the Motorhome today!
It was a cool 70 deg out there, so it was pleasant.

I stopped on the way, at Aircraft Spruce and bought a 4'x4' Sheet of 0.063" 3003 H14 soft Aluminum to experiment with.

First thing was the Carb.
I double checked the bolt, fitting and vacuum piping for leaks and warmed her up.
I am told that the Smog test is done with the MH stationary, in P at two engine speeds. These are supposed to replicate 15 mph and 25mph. I think it’s 1500 and 2100 rpm.
With the Motorhome at 200deg F on the gauge, I ran it as close to those rpms as I could and observed the fuel/air ratio on my Innovate gauge.
I read that 14.7/1 is perfect Lambda and yields the best combustion. With no adjustment, since I bolted this Rebuilt Carb from Cliff Ruggles, this is where I was....
2000rm it hovered between 13.9 and 14.1. A touch rich.

1500rpm it was hovering between 11.9 and 12.1. Richer still.

I will reach out to Cliff and get some advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3471.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	609.3 KB
ID:	298115  
Old 11-01-2017, 10:01 PM   #1924
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Next I tackled the genset with the hope I could get it started.
I started on the Brad priming mod by removing the power wire feeding the fuel pump from the coil, and connecting it to my Powerprobe. I powered it and using a fuel can, I primed the Carb.
I then tried to start it. It fired and began to rev, then died. The next push of the starter button there was nothing. That same fuse went. I put in a 15a fuse, and it glowed brightly on pushing the start button and blew.
Something is wrong.

That done, I disconnected the batteries and pulled the dash open to look for the elusive fluid level module for WayneG. I found it and cut it out.

Name:	IMG_3485.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	937.8 KB
ID:	298119

Next, I spent time looking at the front wraps, and center panel configuration. I needed to understand the airflow into the nose and radiator. Also, what needs to be hidden, and how a chin spoiler would look, and function. I think I have a plan, and took a bunch of measurements and made some sketch’s.

That done, we have rain in the forecast, so I got up on the roof to look for a leak on the curbside above the closet in the bedroom which has eluded me.
I spotted a couple of suspects on the rear of the awning rail and arm, and cleaned and put a bead of Trempro on.
Attachment 1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3476.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	298120  
Old 11-02-2017, 06:36 AM   #1925
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Went to the Motorhome today!
It was a cool 70 deg out there, so it was pleasant.

I stopped on the way, at Aircraft Spruce and bought a 4'x4' Sheet of 0.063" 3003 H14 soft Aluminum to experiment with.

First thing was the Carb.
I double checked the bolt, fitting and vacuum piping for leaks and warmed her up.
I am told that the Smog test is done with the MH stationary, in P at two engine speeds. These are supposed to replicate 15 mph and 25mph. I think it’s 1500 and 2100 rpm.
With the Motorhome at 200deg F on the gauge, I ran it as close to those rpms as I could and observed the fuel/air ratio on my Innovate gauge.
I read that 14.7/1 is perfect Lambda and yields the best combustion. With no adjustment, since I bolted this Rebuilt Carb from Cliff Ruggles, this is where I was....
2000rm it hovered between 13.9 and 14.1. A touch rich.

1500rpm it was hovering between 11.9 and 12.1. Richer still.

I will reach out to Cliff and get some advice.
Steve, hopefully one of these days you can upgrade to TBI. On my TBI the F/A ratio hovers between 14.5 and 15.0 depending on accell/decell or steady state. The tuning process is not yet done on mine so I am anticipating that it will run closer to 14.7 when done.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:02 AM   #1926
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Next I tackled the genset with the hope I could get it started.
I started on the Brad priming mod by removing the power wire feeding the fuel pump from the coil, and connecting it to my Powerprobe. I powered it and using a fuel can, I primed the Carb.
I then tried to start it. It fired and began to rev, then died. The next push of the starter button there was nothing. That same fuse went. I put in a 15a fuse, and it glowed brightly on pushing the start button and blew.
Something is wrong.
Steve,

If you still have the large solenoid on the side of the carburetor you should disconnect it. I don't think I have any pictures of it but it's a little larger in diameter than a quarter and is about 2" to 3" long. Disconnect the wire from that solenoid to the coil. That solenoid is what was causing the fuses to blow on my Kohler.

Here is some info on the shutdown solenoid.

In the wiring diagram in this picture note the three solenoids/coils at the bottom.

Name:	wiring-diagram.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	298131

The Shutdown Control solenoid, Choke Heater and Fuel pump all draw power through the same fuse that is located inside the control box. The fuse should be a 10 amp fuse. You have removed the fuel pump so that removed some of the load on that fuse. The Shutdown solenoid and Choke Heater are still connected to the coil. You need to keep the Choke Heater but don't need the Shutdown solenoid.

What I can't remember is whether you can just disconnect the Shutdown solenoid or whether you have to remove it from the carburetor. I'll continue to look for information about whether to remove it or not. I do know for the longest time after working on my generator the old solenoid was sitting on a work bench. What I don't remember is what I did to plug the hole!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 11-02-2017, 07:15 AM   #1927
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Steve,

We've discussed this all before!

Brad
Old 11-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #1928
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
1984 Airstream 345 owner (Newbie) need advice!

Thanks, Yes we have Brad.
I don’t think my shut down solenoid is present.
Let me look thru the pics I took when I did the slide conversion again.
It seems too much of a coincidence this started after I replaced the start solenoid! As I need to clean up the whole thing and redo the compartment soundproofing, I might pull it out, next time I go over, so I can work on it at home.

On a side note...
I added a refurbished 3x Chicago Air Rivet gun and a portable Bandsaw to the shop this week!
Need to get some rivet sets and a bucking bar next, and build a stand for the bandsaw.

Name:	IMG_3457.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	590.1 KB
ID:	298143

Name:	IMG_3458.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	635.0 KB
ID:	298144

Picked up some chunks of metal for the bead roller Dies too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3436.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	790.7 KB
ID:	298145  
Old 11-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #1929
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Been busy, with family visits, then been under the weather. Ugh.

Tried to use the down time well.

Ordered new ac delco spark plugs, quality brass cap, rotor and a ac delco hei pickup, as I read they are the best and others fail regularly. Rockauto had best prices.

I have a set of brand new 8mm plug wires, but will test them and see how good they are.

Also been back and forth with the Carb builder, Cliff Ruggles, who has been very responsive. I now have a good feel for how to lean out the Carb using the twin mixture adjustments on the front, and some tweaking of the APT on the top. He suggested that some engines seem to be able to handle a leaner mixture well into the 15/1 ratios, but some become unstable, and surge badly. He said the key seems to be a good ignition system, so covering that too.
While I have the plugs out I will do a compression test. This engine has about 8000 miles on it I believe, so should be good, but it will be nice to confirm and have a base line.
I have a concern about ignition timing too, but when the engine was replaced the lower timing marks on the timing chain cover were removed so I hope I can see and set from above. I believe they check timing at the Smog test, so that might be an issue. I’ve looked everywhere for the correct timing cover and failed to find one.

We had a couple of days of rain, so I’m glad I hit that roof seam with some Trempro. Hopefully that’s the leak spot that has been eluding me!

Color changing LED lamps arrived, and I will test and report back.

Name:	IMG_3501.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	454.6 KB
ID:	298573
Old 11-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #1930
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I dont recall a timing tab on the bottom of the motor. The only tab on mine is in the worst possible position below the AC compressor. It is not easy, but it is doable with a good light.
If you can reach it, clean it off to make the reading easier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	timingtab.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	298575  
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #1931
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
I dont recall a timing tab on the bottom of the motor. The only tab on mine is in the worst possible position below the AC compressor. It is not easy, but it is doable with a good light.
If you can reach it, clean it off to make the reading easier.
Wayne,

Here's a picture of what the lower timing bracket looks like.

Name:	DSC02427.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	298579

Also, here's a prior discussion on lower timing marks.

Brad
Old 11-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #1932
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Wow!
That one is bolt on!
Only one I had seen before looked like iif was spot welded to the cover!
If only I could find one of those i'd be happy!!!!!
Old 11-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #1933
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
That does look nice for better access, but one advantage of the upper one is you can do the job with one person
Old 11-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #1934
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Wow!
That one is bolt on!
Only one I had seen before looked like iif was spot welded to the cover!
If only I could find one of those i'd be happy!!!!!
It's identical to the one I removed from the 345 engine and put on my 454. If you would like one of these days I can take mine off and get a bunch of measurements and pictures for you.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #1935
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Yes indeed.
I believe that you used cylinder #5 for the lower marks, instead of #1.
I have searched the web for that timing mark, and cannot find one... some adjustable ones out there, but that wont fly with smog!
Old 11-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #1936
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Yes indeed.
I believe that you used cylinder #5 for the lower marks, instead of #1.
I have searched the web for that timing mark, and cannot find one... some adjustable ones out there, but that wont fly with smog!
Ok, in the mean time I'll keep my eyes open for one.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #1937
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Ok, in the mean time I'll keep my eyes open for one.

My 345 did NOT have a bottom marker when I bought it. But while at a junk / bone yard while looking fo parts for my 1967 Ford I found one on a S.O.B. Motorhome with the 454
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #1938
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Lucky you!!!

I have been looking for 5+ years....
Old 11-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #1939
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
If it bolts on, it sounds like a part worth cloning
Old 11-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #1940
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
If it bolts on, it sounds like a part worth cloning
From doing some research it sounds like GM called them "timing pointers". Also it appears that no one seems to know anything more about them other than they were on the P30 chassis.

If cloning some is the way to go it would be best to start out with aftermarket pointers and then bend and modify as needed to get them to the right spot.

I might spend a few bucks and buy one to tinker with.

Brad