Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #1961
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Have you looked into registering in Maine?
Don't know a lot about it, but spot the scotts were having issues so they registered their 345 in Maine, not sure if that can get you around CARB or not, just thought I'd mention it

Been around and around on this point and it’s a no go for me.

Been a busy couple of weeks with the step daughter Jeep. Needed a lot of things fixed.

Did the brakes and decided to go with the eco friendly composite pads. It’s a JK.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3555.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	299501
Old 11-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #1962
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Nobody even nibbling on that one!

Busy couple of weeks with Health Insurance renewals, and new clients. (95% of my workload is the run up to December and January renewals!).

More parts arrived/arriving.
New Distributor cap, and Rotor($35), New PCV valve($6), New throttle return spring($6, Old one looks... old/rusty, so gonna double up for safety), New 8mm AC Delco Professional Wires($29.99), and a new Smog pump pulley($6.56, that says its the correct one, and looks different to the one I tried before, with more rear offset).

I will be over there once the Turkey numbness wears off!

Master plan is to:
1/ Replace the whole ignition system, so I have a baseline.
2/ Check and set the ignition timing to 4 deg BTDC at 700 rpm with the dist advance plugged... if possible.
3/ Set the baseline(Idle) and part throttle(APT) mixtures as per Cliff Ruggles's instruction using the A/F ratio meter. Aiming for 14.7/1 or leaner from idle to 3000 rpm.
4/ Reinstall all of the upper vacuum driven emission items, and check each ones function.

That should keep me busy for the day!

If I have time, and can do it, I plan to pull the Genset, so I can diagnose the issues I'm having at home.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:10 AM   #1963
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Nobody even nibbling on that one!

Busy couple of weeks with Health Insurance renewals, and new clients. (95% of my workload is the run up to December and January renewals!).

More parts arrived/arriving.

New Distributor cap, and Rotor($35), New PCV valve($6), New throttle return spring($6, Old one looks... old/rusty, so gonna double up for safety), New 8mm AC Delco Professional Wires($29.99), and a new Smog pump pulley($6.56, that says its the correct one, and looks different to the one I tried before, with more rear offset).

I will be over there once the Turkey numbness wears off!

Master plan is to:

1/ Replace the whole ignition system, so I have a baseline.

2/ Check and set the ignition timing to 4 deg BTDC at 700 rpm with the dist advance plugged... if possible.

3/ Set the baseline(Idle) and part throttle(APT) mixtures as per Cliff Ruggles's instruction using the A/F ratio meter. Aiming for 14.7/1 or leaner from idle to 3000 rpm.

4/ Reinstall all of the upper vacuum driven emission items, and check each ones function.

That should keep me busy for the day!

If I have time, and can do it, I plan to pull the Genset, so I can diagnose the issues I'm having at home.

Remember to disconnect the brown wire when you set the timing. Also, for me, found it easier to measure it from underneath, so it was a two person job
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:40 AM   #1964
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I dont think the stock 84 has the EST setup. The stock system is strictly vacuum advance.

On the plug wires, be sure to keep them from touching the exhaust manifold. A few hours of direct contact with a red hot manifold and your new wires wont work any better than the old ones.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:03 AM   #1965
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Been around and around on this point and it’s a no go for me.

Been a busy couple of weeks with the step daughter Jeep. Needed a lot of things fixed.

Did the brakes and decided to go with the eco friendly composite pads. It’s a JK.
Attachment 299501
Well, I wanted to nibble at it, but was afraid to tell you that those rotors look pretty bad and may need turning ...
Attached Images

AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:20 AM   #1966
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Well, I wanted to nibble at it, but was afraid to tell you that those rotors look pretty bad and may need turning ...
I didn't have the heart to tell him his suspension was all screwed up as well.....
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #1967
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Hi Boomsounds!
Will PM you and see if we can fit in a beer in April!
No EST wire on mine, Wayne is correct. Pure, old fashioned vacuum power! My TBI Suburban had that wire, so I knew what you were talking about!
Wayne, Thanks for the caution on the manifold too. My Banks headers still have the heat shields, and I’ve had no issues with burning yet. I think the current wires are ok, but I will check them, and decide if they will go in the roadside spares box or trash. Thanks to you posting your stickers, I have the correct timing procedure to follow too.
I still could do with a close up of your Smog pump and diverter valve and a part number for it if possible?

Peter, Thanks for the rotor comment... I will get my angle grinder on it! I sent that to a friend of mine via text and he wrote back saying he saw I had used composite pads, but semi metallic were better. I said I will hammer some tacks in to change them.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #1968
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Brad, Need to post a pic of my bungee cord suspension upgrade. I also wanted to add some balloon air springs after seeing how Airstream did it, but ran out of bailing wire. I will buy some Duct tape today. 😄
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:36 AM   #1969
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Airstream 290
Los Angeles , California
Keyair, not totally sure about the price of a windshield...I want to say around $700 per side? I went with progressive insurance with a $0 windshield deductible because of all the flying rocks on the highways out west. The previous owner towed a smart car on a small flatbed without reinforcing the hitch. My toad is a Chevy Volt, curb weight about 5,000 lbs. including an Acme Tow Dolly, which has been a great setup. (EV's can't be towed flat, so a dolly was a lightweight alternative.) Had the hitch reinforced at a welding shop so that it could handle the weight I wanted to pull, and also a double hitch installed at the same time so that I could have a bicycle rack and tow dolly simultaneously. The 454 engine has no problem towing the car on flat ground, but climbing mountain passes on the highway is slooow, 35 to 40 mph or so. I just put the blinkers on and stick with the semi trucks...for now at least...the new Tesla truck will supposedly go 65 uphill, wow!
GinaParmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #1970
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Nice Job Gina, and what a great Italian name!

Windshield's are all over the place price wise and none are cheap!
Old 11-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #1971
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Wayne, Thanks for the caution on the manifold too. My Banks headers still have the heat shields, and I’ve had no issues with burning yet. I think the current wires are ok, but I will check them, and decide if they will go in the roadside spares box or trash. Thanks to you posting your stickers, I have the correct timing procedure to follow too.
I still could do with a close up of your Smog pump and diverter valve and a part number for it if possible?
Here are some photos but the pump label is well worn and unreadable. There is a casting number if that helps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5064.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	299931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5065.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	299932  

Name:	IMG_5066.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	299933  
Old 11-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #1972
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Awesome Wayne!!!!!
Just to even see the correct pump, pulley spacing, its extension neck, and divertor valve is a huge deal for me!
The round exhast backflow valves are available, so thats ok.

I know you have some stuff to deal with this week, but when you are up to it, the black plastic divertor valve on the pump normally has a part number on it....
Of Course, if you want to get rid of the pump, I would take it of your hands!
Old 11-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #1973
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Awesome Wayne!!!!!
Just to even see the correct pump, pulley spacing, its extension neck, and divertor valve is a huge deal for me!
The round exhast backflow valves are available, so thats ok.

I know you have some stuff to deal with this week, but when you are up to it, the black plastic divertor valve on the pump normally has a part number on it....
Of Course, if you want to get rid of the pump, I would take it of your hands!
I looked at the diverter briefly without my stereo 2X goggles on and did not see any numbers.
I am driving to Boston tomorrow for tests and should be home tomorrow night. I am freeed on my own reconnaissance until next Monday when I go back for a procedure.
If my parts are willing and able, I will look closer and do some more on the fluid sensor module. (I need to go into work anyway. When you are a NYS University employee, death and full retirement are not allowed!)

If all else fails on you finding a new pump, although normally I keep all that stuff, it is never going back on my rig, so you are welcome to those pieces.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #1974
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I confirm, the pump I have is not the same as yours... not even close, yet it came off a 80s big block!
Old 11-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #1975
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
It's probably a California thing......regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #1976
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
It's probably a California thing......regards, Bob
Isn't it always Bob....

Seriously tho, I wondered why the divertor valve was fouling the hot air snorkel, so I turned it around, but then the pipes were convoluted, and the pulley didnt line up!
Guess it all makes sense now...

Its like a good friend of mine said to his Ex... "If its not one thing, it's your Mother!"
Old 12-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #1977
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
First order of business today is to suggest you all go read the thread on engine oil I just posted in the Mech section. This is why i use Diesel Oil in all my older vehicles, and especially in our 454’s and Isuzu’s!

I’m just prepping for my next day at the MH now. Everything is here and ready to tune her up, although I have to make a tool to reach down into the Carb to adjust the APT. Also looks like the smog pump pulley isn’t gonna help me!

Name:	IMG_3618.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	950.0 KB
ID:	300207

Did add a SwagOffroad Metal bandsaw table to my shop too... a gift from the GF!

Name:	IMG_3612.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	511.1 KB
ID:	300208Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3614.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	528.5 KB
ID:	300209
Old 12-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #1978
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Depending on USPS delivery schedules, you should have a pulley with a pump attached by Monday
Old 12-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #1979
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Depending on USPS delivery schedules, you should have a pulley with a pump attached by Monday
Wow... Ok, you need to PM me the cost, and secondly, that might delay my trip out there...

Its been a bumpy week... our beloved 8 yo Black Lab mix, Cole, was snuggling up with me the other morning and I noticed a lump under his front leg, like in the armpit. He has a few other lumps, that the vet defined as "Fatty" but this one worried me.
He was due a Bordatella shot anyways, so we asked the Vet to look at it. He said we were right to flag it, and praised me for noticing it, as it was in the "Lymph node" area. They took a Biopsy, but he was definitely not well the next 24 hours, crying and hiding his head, and limping. We gave him anti-inflammatory pills, and kept him under watch.

The Vet called this morning to say its came back as clear, and just more fatty tissue. Huge relief. We think that his limping and pain was either a tweak of the biopsy site, and just a play injury. He seems better today and we feel relieved.
Monday, we have a family member going in for a procedure too, so I have to be close to home!
Old 12-03-2017, 04:26 AM   #1980
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Glad the pup is OK, and I hope things go well with the family member!