Old 09-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #1919
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Sharon I am just so glad you felt free to share the super secret kayak steering method with the general public, it is for emergency use only girls. Hey girls like to play in the mud too.

Hang in there Suz!

Old 09-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #1920
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
The Silver Schooner is home!

Hi all,

I brought my new A/S home yesterday! And I thought of all of you and your encouragement which was greatly appreciated. Spent two nights at the dealer's going over her, learning how to operate everything and checking for defects - the shower didn't leak! The furnace smoked because it was new - the first night it set off the smoke detector and I knew what the problem was - couldn't see smoke but could smell a funny new hot oil odor. So I shut the furnace off and went to bed. The next morning it was cold in Northern Vermont so I turned on the furnace and crawled back into bed. It didn't take long for the smoke alarm to go off - so as I was up I disconnected it and when it got warm enough outside to open the windows I just let the furnace run until the problem went away. (and then I put the smoke detector back!)

After check out on everything I could think of I was ready to roll on Thursday morning and I was scared. I'd never pulled anything as big or as heavy and not with this truck and I was all alone with my new baby. I did tow a boat to California from NH once but not alone - so I was sure I could do it - but I was some scared.

Got out of the dealer's and it was only about two miles to interstate 89 through a lot of traffic and lights - got to test the brakes and figure out how different it was with the trailer on behind - got on 89 with white knuckles and stuck to the right lane. The truck has a short wheelbase which makes the ride less smooth than a standard pickup - but the Silver Schooner followed like a puppy dog and pretty soon I got the feel of it and was rolling down the interstate at 60. By the time I stopped at a rest area in Randolph about 60 miles later I had my confidence back and the rest of the trip was smooth sailing.

I arranged for a truck driver friend to come and back her into my driveway - it's very narrow and there's a humongous tree on one side and a telephone pole on the other less than 15 feet apart. I knew I was going to be very tired and I was - exhausted - and I didn't want to take the chance of whanging her. Even he said it was a tough park - but I watched carefully and he put her right in the slot on one go, and now I feel I can do it next time - although we are going out soon to a place where I can practice a lot.

I cleaned out the food, locked her up and went to bed at 8:30. Here's a picture of her at the rest area in Randolph Vermont. I hope it comes up o.k. Will get a pic of her in my driveway later so you can see what I mean of tough and narrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0010.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	67706  

Old 09-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #1921
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
The Driveway

Here she is in the driveway - looks like she's hiding doesn't she? I'm standing in the driveway across the street to take the pic - narrow street!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0016.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	67708  
Old 09-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #1922
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Victoria , British Columbia
Hi girls
I guess I missed some good happy hours around here
Hope you're all doing fine.
Can't wait to do another "We can tow it".
We may have a great rally next september on PEI.
Sharon you may have to organize a backing up contest at Bayside !!!!
Rivette from CAU #122 always ready to have fun
http://airstreamlife.ning.com/profile/tripelsdiane
http://canadianatlantic.wbcci.net/
ladyPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #1923
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska
Congrats to Louisa on the new Airstream! Great to see another NH Girl. Hopefully we'll meet on the road one day! I've been to that dealership just to drool My in-laws have a camp up there and I make it a point to head that way as often as I can.
Have fun!
2Alaska
Old 09-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #1924
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Thanks, 2 Alaska -

That's a nice dealership - the service guys really know their stuff and couldn't be nicer - as is the owner. I was pleased to buy from them.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #1925
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Congratulations Louisa (& JJ)!!! Love the driveway pic ... and yes, she does look like she's peeking to see if we're looking! Glad you had safe travels on your way home and I wish you many more!! Sounds like you were a good student at the dealership with good instructors.

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:47 AM   #1926
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Louisa,, YAY!!!!!!! you did it!!!!! good job,, nice trailer,,, and you should be proud of yourself,,, enjoy your silver beauty to the max before the snow flies,,, happy trails,, donna
Old 09-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #1927
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Just back from Algonquin...Fabulous Trip with Annie and Marvin.

Just a tad early for the fall colours but they changed as we were there!

We got in two great days of kayaking and canoeing. Our Second day caught us two pairs of Moose - one huge Bull Moose and his gal and a young bull and his sweetie too. Peter and I caught another Huge Moose as we were waiting on A&M at Bog Marsh for a nice 1.5 mile hike (I know that is tiny but that is how long it is )

The night before on our way out for dinner just at dusk -as Peter had my camera looking at the pics of the moose I huge Black Bear crossed the road!!! - you can bet the fur flew in the car as I had my camera ready in its spot to grab at a moments notice - but kind-a-hard to do when muggins had it!!

We had great weather too - cold nights and warm days with NO bugs!!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #1928
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Way to go Lousia - you did it Girl...okay we will let ya have the first mulligan on the backing up you deserve it for sure!! Nice Trailer!!!

Can't wait to see more pics.....
Old 09-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #1929
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Thanks, Sue, Donna, Sharon ...

Bringing her home alone was a big hurdle and while I was sure I could do it - I know I can do anything I decide I can do - I'm never sure till I do it! - and then of course I wonder what the heck I was so worried about. Aaarugh! My camping friend will be back from vacation in a week and we are planning to get in some weekend trips with our respective rigs before The Schooner has to be winterized. I'll keep you posted - and I promise pics.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:09 AM   #1930
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hibernating

Wow - don't tell me everyone has gone into hibernation already.

Well some of the Silver Sisters are gathering in none other than MI again lucky stiffs....Laura, Steph and Carol and a few newbies that the SS on all our behalf's will have to give them the official tink tink.

I'm hanging back - last minute bail out - arrg! Just too many things happening and need to find the cloning potion.

I bought a new bike on the weekend and took her out for a spin on Sunday - the day was not very nice but the colours are starting to really come through.

Name:	DSC_9394.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	68556

After the spectacular sunset the evening before. I was only able to catch the very end of it. Was visiting my Mom and did not bring my camera with me....I motored home but missed the most amazing sky I had ever seen - there was all sorts of colours and clouds that made the sky like a Kaleidoscope.

Name:	DSC_9368.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	68555

Name:	DSC_9362.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	68554

Name:	DSC_9358.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	68553

The little ride up the road found me a small brook and waterfall that I had heard about but never actually walked to it. There is another one close by too but it is a longer hike through the public river access just north of us and an easy ride. We are lucky that we have lots of 4 wheeler/snowmobile trails that make for great off road riding.

Name:	DSC_9418.jpg
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	68558

Name:	DSC_9444.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	68559

Name:	DSC_9406.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	68557

So what is everyone up to these days?

I guess it will soon be time to get the wood brought closer to the fire, sweeties stocked up along with all the spirits both of the drinking kind and of all you great ladies out there.

Hope all are well...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #1931
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Congratulation Louisa! How did you decide on the 28'? He's beautiful!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #1932
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Louisa congratulations on getting your new schooner home she's pretty! Looking forward to seeing more pictures and hearing more of your adventures.

Diane, missing you. Love the new log in name Lady Penelope, fits you well.

Sharon those pictures are gorgeous! You are really having a beautiful season there and keeping busy with biking and boating and camping. Way to go girl! Keep posting your adventures.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote