Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2004, 11:05 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
i'm ready

Got prints of our trailer, tomorrow we hit Costco for aquarium tickets. We're arriving early Friday, leaving Sunday afternoon.

Coastalview and Big Dee, can you email me again and leave contact cell phone #'s for me?

We're going to visit the Carmel mission if anyone wants to join Saturday during the day. But our main motivation is to get there and see some interiors...who's willing to show off their trailer? We are your guinea pigs.

Get ready for lots of questions...we have a loooong way to go in fixing up our trailer...

See you soon! My trailer license plate, the only complete part of the trailer, is on the next to last page of the current issue of Airstream Life. I accomplished something at least!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 03:08 AM   #102
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Almost ready to go.

I got back from my dirt bike trip in the Nevada desert, safe and sound.

I have a few things to do this morning and then we might go down today. I will check and see if we can get our site a day early, if not I will find somewhere for the night.

We are looking forward to meeting everyone.

Mike B
1996 F350 CC PSD
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 06:57 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Ingrid, sent you my contact info, see everyone real soon! Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 07:24 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Talking One more day...

Ingrid, I am hoping everyone will be willing to show off their units on Saturday during happy hour. Anybody is welcomed to tour mine.

Mike, there should be no problem getting a site at LS. A four day weekend? Sounds nice. I am jealous.

I plan on arriving around noon. Friday looks to be beautiful on the Monterey Bay, sunny and warm. It's all coming together! One more day...

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:46 PM   #105
Rivet Master

Packing up and almost ready to go. Is this the first annual Nor-Cal Forum Rally at Laugna Seca or have we been missing the boat somewhere? By the way, do ya get there from the Highway 68 entrance or another entrance, or does it matter ?
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 03:40 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Hi Tin, the main and only access is from Highway 68. Either from Monterey or Salinas. PM or e-mail me if you need more info. See you there, Jeff
Old 10-28-2004, 03:47 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Ahhh, yes, directions. Laguna Seca Recreation Area is located on Hwy 68, midway between Salinas and Monterey. If driving 101, take Hwy 68 west through Salinas to Laguna Seca, entrance on right. Can't miss the signs. Or Hwy 1 to Hwy 68, go east to LS, left turn into entrance. It's the same entrance for everything, raceway/campground/firing range. Stop at ranger booth, tell them that your with Airstreamforums group. They should let you pass. Drive up the hill to your site number and set up. I'll greet everyone as they arrive, cocktail in hand. Then let the fun begin.

Coastalview........................#79
Big Dee..............................#78
JBMcB................................#77 (Saturday)
open site............................#76
DogHouse...........................#75
Mike B................................#74
Warenycia's.........................#73

photobitstream....................#33 (pull-through)
Tinsel Loaf..........................#32 (pull-through)
Ohlson's.............................#31 (pull-through)

Come rally with us.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:42 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Well after 6 months of waiting, 106 posts to this thread, it's time. I am leaving in a hour or so. Can't believe it! This rally has already been a success! And I haven't even left. I got to enjoy every minute as time will fly. See ya' all at Laguna Seca. Last one there is a rotten egg!

Come rally with us.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:06 AM   #109
1 Rivet Member

What a great Rally. Food was fantastic, watching the races and kids play was fun but meeting everyone was just the best. Can't wait for the next one. Our special thanks to Big Dee for all the hard work that really turned this into a special event. Now we're on a mission to find Montreal Spice.....
DogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:34 AM   #110
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Nor Cal Rally

I just wanted to say thanks to Big Dee for organizing the rally.
Debbie and I had a great time . The sites had a great view, the food was outstanding and you can't beat all the people we met. I finally got to see a floorplan I have been looking for. I also want to say thanks again to all the people who let us see their trailers.
We did go by Toscanos on the way home. We left with the same trailer we arrived with. They had alot of trailers in stock, some of which I had wanted to see. They did have some used trailers in stock so if anyone is looking give them a call.
We are looking forward to doing this again, maybe in the spring.
Thanks again to everybody that made this so enjoyable.

Mike B
1996 F350 CC PSD
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:41 AM   #111
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Pope Valley , California
Just what I needed

Dropping by and crashing the rally on Satuday was great. I have been wrestling with whether I can really afford getting into the Airstream world. Well, if being an Airstreamer means hanging out with such friendly, helpful and interesting people, then it is definitely for me. I only regret that I didn't get down there earlier to have more time to meet everybody and pry ideas from you.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my worries and concerns, who shared their experience and advice. It was just what I needed.

I put a deposit on my new trailer Sunday morning. It should be here in 2-3 weeks they tell me. Now I just have to get the truck purchased and I'll be ready to go. Can we have another rally soon? Maybe a rally in a big, big field so we can all help the newbie to learn to back up.

Big Dee, you are the best. Thanks for putting the rally together.
Hit'the'road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:40 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I think I've recovered

What a fun weekend that was! I had a great time, and Big Dee, Big Jeff said the tri-tip was great, of course I thought so too, but he's a bit of a barbecue snob (don't tell him I said that).

Thanks for organizing it. Watching the races was fun, the kids had a great time and I smelled that camping/firewood smell in Amelia's hair as I carried her into the hotel. That's the smell of good memories. My niece was too exhausted by Sunday to get freaked out by Halloween (she doesn't like it). She went to sleep last night at 8 pm. Amelia (my daughter) slept in her Scooby Doo costume. All in all, a complete success.

That nice couple from Bakersfield...I hope I didn't scare them off with my belly pan story...I hope they realize mine is a '67 and that the new ones don't come with mice poop...they were the kindest folks! I'm still amazed at this airstream/good people phenomenon. I haven't met a 'streamer I haven't liked as of yet.

If anyone is up here in the Oakland/Alameda area and wants to be shown around, I'm here for the asking. We don't have room for a trailer in our driveway however!

Thanks to all for opening up their trailers and giving us a look-see. To get our minds off of the belly pan/frame repair, we got to talk interiors all the way home.

Looking forward to pictures,

pinkflamingoes (aka "ingrid")

ingrid
Old 11-01-2004, 03:45 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Thankyou to everyone !

I want to thank Big Dee, for getting this rally organized. What a great experience to meet such a wonderful diverse group, with a common love of Airstreams.I strongly believe that this rally could take place anywhere, with equal enthusiasm and sucess.Also to everyone that made the journey, thank-you for the oppurtunity to meet each of you and your contributions to make this first rally sucessful. Lets get planning for the nexted one !
Jeff, kathy, Collin, and little Ted
Old 11-01-2004, 05:43 PM   #114
Rivet Master

Talking Let's Rally Pictures

We had FUN!...........Thank's Big DEE !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camp site.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	9331   Click image for larger version

Name:	flamigos.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	9333  

Name:	marcella.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	9337   Click image for larger version

Name:	table food.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	9339  

Attached Images

Old 11-01-2004, 05:52 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Cool Another grateful attendee..

Let me add our thanks to Big Dee for putting this together, and to all those who showed up and made this a terrific weekend in Monterey!!! Great location, great logistics, the dinner and cocktail hour and home-tours were fun, and both of us had a great weekend, even missing Friday evening.. It was such a fun weekend, I even enjoyed lunch in Moss Landing and antiquing, which would never happen on a normal weekend in Monterey...

My favorite moment of the entire outing was a conversation with our visitors from Bakersfield who asked politely how long we've been meeting as a group.. When I explained we'd all just met for the first time that day, he was stunned, as he assumed we were long term friends.. Through this Forum, that's true in a way, but it was still a special weekend.

I say we plan some more, and do it again (though a slightly warmer dinner ambience sounds good..), and the idea of getting together for weekend plus in an area with lots of local options seems to work really well.

To start pictures rolling in, here is a shot of Condoluminum with Mrs. JBMcG at Laguna Seca and race track behind and below, as Saturday evening fog rolled in..

This was so much fun I'm considering contacting WBCCI to see if we can form a NorCal Unit of web-enabled Airstreamers who enjoy weekend outings to interesting places between Santa Barbara and Mendocino coast and Lake Tahoe.. Two week trips to "International Rally" in Midwest or week-long regional rallies strictly optional...

John McG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NorCal_LagSeca.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	9340  

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:26 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Thumbs up Post Rally Report

First thing: WHOA, did anybody else feel their hair rise on that 16% grade. Man O man, that was hairy. Never been down such a hill with 8,000 lbs behind me. The brakes got a work out!

As to the rally, well, it was simply... AWESOME! Fun, fun, and more fun. It was great to arrive at the campground on Friday to see four Airstreams lined up already. How exciting! To see groups of Airstreamers talking all around me is so cool. Excitement everywhere you look.

The campground was too cool. To watch those races right from "our" spot was perfect enertainment. I now have a feel for what race fans get so excited about. It is cool to see those cars rip around the corners and floor it on the straight away. And thanks to our resident race expert, Jeff, for explaining everything to us race newbies. Also loved the hill sites and what a view in every direction. The rangers were very cool. Just a superb campground, all the way around.

The dinner on Saturday was FANTASTIC and was my favorite part of the rally (go figure)! Thank you to everyone for making it what it was. Everyone either brought food or helped set-up. Couldn't believe all the delicious food dishes. So many that I couldn't try everything although I certainly tried . Having three tables of diners felt really special. It was great to break bread with such a group. Just loved it!

A big thank you to Troy and Marcella for coming all the way from Bakersfield just to join us and get a feel for this "Airstream thing". JBMcG was right, they were absolutely incredulous to hear that none of us has ever met face to face. It is my favorite story to tell from the rally. I think we convinced them to make the plunge and join the Airstream community. We all hope they will join us again, this time with a trailer!

Also thanks to Cam (Hit'the'road) for making a day trip all the way from Napa to join us on Saturday. I totally enjoyed talking with him and giving my two cents about his questions and worries. I guess we all did a good job of convincing him because I see he put down a deposit for the 25' CCD. Congrats!!! Good choice, Cam. Can't wait to see some pics. Post them when you get your new baby. And it will be nice to have a CCD at our rallies for now on.

I also want to thank Jeff (my rally neighbor) for helping with the rally planning and being the "local on call". Also cutting up firewood for us all. It was great to have an endless supply. Kathy was fun to talk to and Collin was the happiest kid I have seen in a long time. Beautiful family, Jeff. I am real thankful to have had the chance to get to know you three (and little Ted, too).

I felt like I made life-long friends in one weekend: Jeff and Kathy (coastalview), Mike and Debbie (Mike B), Paul and Dee (warbler5), Ingrid and Jeff (pinkflamingoes), John and Dianne (JBMcG), Mr. and Mrs. Doghouse, Eric and Lindarae, Tinsel (and his awesome rig), Troy and Marcella, Cam (Hit'the'road), all the well-behaved kids and whoever I forgot to mention (sorry ). Awesome people who are now my good friends.

I've got pics to share but haven't downloaded them so stay tuned.

Again, THANK YOU to all. It was an event I shall long remember. And many to come! Now where next?

Come rally with us.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:37 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Wow! Tinsel, just awesome pics. You have talent, much more than I. Love the one of everyone eating with that view.

Also isn't that Collin a sweety! You will have to send a hard copy to Jeff because that's a keeper!

Also wish I had time to tour your rig. So much I wanted to see. My only complaint from the rally was - not enough time. Just too darn quick. Next time for sure.

Come rally with us.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:21 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Wink More picts

There were race cars there, indeed. Jeff is explaning to me that they go real fast and in one direction and don't tow Airstreams that fast. There were 10 pictures in my other post hope ya got them all and the one with with our Fearless Leader, Big Dee. And what a view. The valley views, not Big Dee.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	races.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	9344   Click image for larger version

Name:	camp view.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	9345  

Attached Images

Old 11-01-2004, 07:22 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Where to next? Pinkflamingoes' driveway to fix up her trailer. Come on down the beer's on me...

...please?

ingrid
Old 11-01-2004, 07:25 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Memories of Laguna Seca

I was stationed there at the Naval Postgraduate school in 1996 - 1998. I wish I knew of the Airstreamers there. I bought my 85 34' Limited there in Salinas. I used to mountain bike the old Fort Ord, right up to the back side of the track. And then there is the Sea Otter Classic. Your photos bring back alot of memories. I lived about 1/2 way between Carmel and Big Sur, up on top of the mountain above the Rocky Point Restaurant. What a time it was. I had the AS there at the Navy Camp Ground ($12 a night full hookups) behind the Monterey Fair grounds...for any of you retired types or Active Duty types...just watch out for golf balls..trailer never got hit, but there were always balls around the trailer at night.....I've been following this thread and loving the pictures...keep them coming.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote