Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Small Grill Bottles that Leak when removed

It seems to me that every small grill propane bottle I have used lately will leak once removed from the fitting. These valves are supposed to reseal like a tire valve and they don't. This seems to me like a serious safety hazard. I just dumped a full bottle because I did not want to leave it attached to the drill while traveling. Anyone else had this problem? This also makes me want to make a cap that will seal even one that is leaking.

Ok found the solution

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...caps?a=1034001

These will pay for themselves pretty quick.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Just spitballing here, but is it possible there is a burr or nick on your grill regulator tearing the seals of the bottles?

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Cool, and I just received a new copy of the Sportsman's Guide. Thanks.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Get a shnozzle.com and refill your bottles.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
I've wondered about leaks. I have often "snooped" them after removal from the grill. Never had one that leaked.
WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
What you described happened to me, but only once a long time ago. I assumed there was something wrong with the fuel cylinder (it was a Colman brand). I have used many fuel cylinders since then (many different brands too), but never had a repeat of the problem. If it's happening frequently (or every time) for you, and it always happens on the same piece of equipment (like a grill), I would suspect the fuel connector/regulator on that piece of equipment. Like JD said, could be a burr on your connector/regulator. Give it a good rubdown with steel wool, or order a replacement connector/regulator.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Be very careful of these bottles, especially when they age. I know of a person changing one out on a stove during a power outage. It leaked, the gas ignited from a candle, and the man received severe burns. He nearly lost his life.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I honestly think the quality of the disposable bottles valves and threaded parts are slipping. I found an OLD Coleman bottle from probably 20 years ago and the valve and threaded portion are much smoother than the newer ones I have. FWIW I very seldom use them anymore. I have adapters to fit my larger tanks. We keep a few 1# tanks around for emergencies.

I also agree with JD, if it keeps occurring with a single appliance it may be suspect. If it was just one bottle or on different appliances it may be that run of fuel bottles.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I honestly think the quality of the disposable bottles valves and threaded parts are slipping. I found an OLD Coleman bottle from probably 20 years ago and the valve and threaded portion are much smoother than the newer ones I have. FWIW I very seldom use them anymore. I have adapters to fit my larger tanks. We keep a few 1# tanks around for emergencies.

I also agree with JD, if it keeps occurring with a single appliance it may be suspect. If it was just one bottle or on different appliances it may be that run of fuel bottles.

Aaron
Concur, agree, support. The LITTLE bottles are good if you're a tent camper - but if you're 10 feet away from twin 30 or 40 lb bottle, the little ones are an unnecessary pain in the neck.

Thanks Aaron.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
I would like to see the use of these little "disposable " bottles banned. They don't get refilled and they don't get recycled(too expensive). The adaptor doesn't cost much and you can then use a refillable which is way cheaper in the long run.
I had one leak, and never used them again.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
They should not leak. There is no reason the valve cannot be made properly. They are made in China. I may take one apart and find out what the issue it. The valve that seals the bottle from leaking is a different seal from the one that seals around the stem from the regulator.

Perry
Old 01-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Concur, agree, support. The LITTLE bottles are good if you're a tent camper - but if you're 10 feet away from twin 30 or 40 lb bottle, the little ones are an unnecessary pain in the neck.

Thanks Aaron.
Even tent camping we hauled larger LP tanks. IIRC we had 4.5 gallon, 11 gallon as well as 20 gallon. We put them in milk crates for stability. Used the distribution poles, put a lantern on top and have a place to hook up the LP stove too.

Our Boy Scout troop did the same thing. They didn't want the youngsters messing with liquid fuels.

The lantern on top always made me think of the lamp post in the woods from The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 01-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
These bottles have been used for decades. They did not leak 30yrs ago.

Perry
Old 01-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
These bottles have been used for decades. They did not leak 30yrs ago.

Perry
I agree... see previous post.

Thirty years ago they weren't being produced in large batches in other countries. While China/Mexico/fill in country of your choice are a capable of manufacturing quality products, quite often they don't. Want a few hundred thousand disposable LP cylinders for half of what you would pay a US manufacturer? No problem boss... just expect a few duds in the batch.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 01-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
I would like to see the use of these little "disposable " bottles banned. They don't get refilled and they don't get recycled(too expensive). The adaptor doesn't cost much and you can then use a refillable which is way cheaper in the long run.
I had one leak, and never used them again.

George
I keep three of these bottles around ,for using our webber Q BBQ , I REFILL THESE PROPANE 1 lbs bottles . Because I also agree they should not be put in the garbage. I know a hose can be purchase to hook up to the airstream outside propane connector but there is a chance of someone tripping on the hose and pulling the BBQ to the ground. And I have never had one leak even the ones I refilled in all the years of camping , so like others have said it must be your propane connector damaging the disposable 1 lbs propane cylinders.

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Campbell , California
I carry two small propane bottles for a portable BBQ. I store the bottles with the LP gas cylinders inside the LP tank cover. They slide inside a 4" ABS plastic tube that is placed between the LP tanks. Rubber gaskets separate and cushion the bottles. No problems in two years and 4 western states.

~ Ken
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I also have had these propane bottles leak when removed from my barbeque. I no longer remove them until empty. I tried using a 20 lb bottle with an extension hose, but the flame was too low to cook anything, so I went back to the small bottles.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I always keep a couple disposable 1lb tanks around for various uses. My local propane distributor/rv parts store just started carrying refillable 1lb propane tanks. You pay $15 each the first time and then swap them out when empty for $2.00 each. I was thinking of buying a couple. Seems like a good thing. They are similar to these.... Refillable 1# Propane Cylinder, Camping propane tank refill adapter – Propane-refill.com
Old 01-24-2015, 05:14 AM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
I always keep a couple disposable 1lb tanks around for various uses. My local propane distributor/rv parts store just started carrying refillable 1lb propane tanks. You pay $15 each the first time and then swap them out when empty for $2.00 each. I was thinking of buying a couple. Seems like a good thing. They are similar to these.... Refillable 1# Propane Cylinder, Camping propane tank refill adapter – Propane-refill.com
Now that I like! Legal and safe!

I have access to the fork lift cylinders so that would be a win-win system for me!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 01-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I also have had these propane bottles leak when removed from my barbeque. I no longer remove them until empty. I tried using a 20 lb bottle with an extension hose, but the flame was too low to cook anything, so I went back to the small bottles.
I have noticed this too. I also noted that when using the AS tank, The flame will be normal and after maybe 10 seconds, I hear a faint pop in the grill regulator, then the flame lowers. If I just barely crack the AS bottle, and I mean just barely, I can rid the "pop" and the flame stays high. I have wondered if there is:

1) some sort of restrictor in the 1lb bottles that isn't present in bulk bottles
2)some sort of over pressure valve in the grill regulator

I even tried a new grill regulator, thinking it had a problem.

Does anybody know?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote