Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #121
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
riverhead , New York
Oh,
BTW it was Doug & Sheryl Wylie that did the Iced Tea assault on Leo.
Not something they should be proud of.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #122
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
whaaaat?

While I am not a member of any WBCCI group, just reading about "incidents" like this, make me less inclined to join. Talk about DRAMA!
Being a school teacher, I am very used to children acting like children, but can't stand adults who act like children!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #123
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by holder310 View Post
While I am not a member of any WBCCI group, just reading about "incidents" like this, make me less inclined to join. Talk about DRAMA!
Being a school teacher, I am very used to children acting like children, but can't stand adults who act like children!
You are absolutely right. And, I too am ashamed.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #124
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecolao View Post
Oh,
BTW it was Doug & Sheryl Wylie that did the Iced Tea assault on Leo.
Not something they should be proud of.
Seriously? As in Region 9 President? Which one and why?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #125
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by racoco View Post
Nah, I think it was the Secretary.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #126
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Thumbs down

It was Sheryl

Old 03-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
It was Sheryl and she was very unapologetic about it if I remember, even in their response about the situation. If they are the "quality" that Jim Franklin speaks about, I'll find my quality elsewhere if you know what I mean.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 03-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Don't Be a Don't Bee!

What is the response in their leadership position in the WBCCI for that kind of physical assault action? To me that violates the be nice rule a heck of a lot more than disclosing inconvenient truths and expressing opinions.There are grievers and those that grieve not. I dare say Leo probably conducted himself as a gentleman even during that verbal and emotional abuse and let it go.

photography
Old 03-13-2010, 04:39 AM   #129
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If it happened at a club function and it involved a club officer, wouldn't it be covered by the club insurance policy?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:50 AM   #130
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
my question is what would lead an adult to do such an act? I mean someone must have been fairly upset with Mr Garvey to publicly do such a thing. The motivation is often left out in this re telling of the story. I doubt very seriously that the action of pouring an ice tea over his head just came out of the blue as it is often portrayed here. Someone pushed someone else's buttons so badly that a irrational action resulted.

Just being the devils advocate and stating the missing part to the story....
Old 03-13-2010, 05:07 AM   #131
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
To justify a physical reaction, the speech by Mr. Garvey would need to be classified as "fighting words". Those would be personal insults against the person's spouse, parents and children, or race and religion. If that is the case, maybe Mr. Garvey should just shake if off and walk away.

Otherwise, to escalate a verbal argument into a physical altercation is just rude and childish.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:42 AM   #132
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
agreed and not disputed... we simply hear about the result not about what lead to it....

I am not taking a side here just stating that often there are things that lead up to a reaction.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #133
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
To justify a physical reaction, the speech by Mr. Garvey would need to be classified as "fighting words". Those would be personal insults against the person's spouse, parents and children, or race and religion [highlight by LE] by If that is the case, maybe Mr. Garvey should just shake if off and walk away.

Otherwise, to escalate a verbal argument into a physical altercation is just rude and childish.
And there lies the problem: If a person turns Airstreaming into a religion, then the fur flies. In other words, if a club of any kind, be it WBCCI or TAC or whatever, is one's obsession, you can expect this kind of behavior.

But I disagree with your second part ("Otherwise, to escalate ..."): Any physical attack, even if motivated by religious furvor, is rude and childish.

Lynn
Old 03-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #134
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I whole heartedly agree. No justification for that whether it seems warranted or not! Sticks and Stones...how wisely put in such a child's riddle.

But I am going to go out on a limb ( well, it's not actually a precarious position really... because I know Leo's integrity,) and on the basis of knowing and spending time with Leo, I personally guarantee his character, to dispell any question of his conduct or valour. No exaggeration, even when push comes to shove you DO NOT see his values crumble to accommodate emotion and feel good retribution. Therein lies the greater abuse and insult to his character assassination and discrediting by the WBCCI, and should lay shame upon anyone making irresponsible noises that he somehow "deserved" what he got, (NO ONE EVER DESERVES WHAT THEY GET WHERE ABUSE IS CONCERNED ) and particularly not someone like Leo that puts others first on a daily basis.

I have already seen the same behavior starting in the TAC threads against anyone who questions the newly formed club. This fervor of closing rank and attacking someone and their motives and generally doing a number on their values and right to consider themselves and their concerns deserving of a respectful response germaine to the posting but then receiving personal criticism and the response is reprehensibile.! That is the same negative behaviour that turned countless others from the old order WBCCI.

photography
Old 03-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #135
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Carol where were the grievance happy people at that time to file against her behavior which cased disharmony?

Like Jim Franklin, Greg Gibson and Stumpe???????

Those three know how to hang Leo, but turn the other way for this tea party.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #136
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Yup, no equity among the mere members and leadership. The few at the top are most definitely conducting themselves as if they are indeed far more equal than others...

I see yet in another thread that Past Region President Robert Thompson's offer of arbitration was summarily discounted, ignored and has gone unanswered by the current Executive Committee. One might expect in club business of such a pertinent matter delivered through proper channels that a response would be appropriate. Refusing to respond to members and officers of the club on matters regarding club business would appear to breach their positions of holding those offices of representation.

photography
Old 03-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #137
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
riverhead , New York
"Devils Advocate"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
my question is what would lead an adult to do such an act? I mean someone must have been fairly upset with Mr Garvey to publicly do such a thing. The motivation is often left out in this re telling of the story. I doubt very seriously that the action of pouring an ice tea over his head just came out of the blue as it is often portrayed here. Someone pushed someone else's buttons so badly that a irrational action resulted.

Just being the devils advocate and stating the missing part to the story....
What is your point? Are you advocating that physical responses are acceptable to resolve the things you don't like to hear from another member?

In my mind there is nothing that Leo Garvey could have said to warrant Sheryl Wyle's dumping a container of iced tea on Leo's head and all the while her husband stood by.
It is Leo that again has demonstrated restraint. And, that is the end of the story. Should you desire to figure out what is "the missing part of the story" as you suggest or what was going on in the mind of the Wyle's perhaps you should consult with them.

I would not pretend for one split second to understand what was going on in the minds of the Wyle's to exhibit that behavior.
It is disgraceful.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #138
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
riverhead , New York
Yes the Iced Tea Incident was in fact the Region 9 First Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoco View Post
I just checked my Blue Beret and found that it is Doug Wylie that is the Region 9 President.
It was the First Lady of Region 9 that poured a container of "iced tea" onto Leo G's head.
He stood by and watched his wife get away with this. Shame on him.
He should resign.
Our good and decent WBCCI members of Region 9 should demand it!
Old 03-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #139
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecolao View Post
What is your point? Are you advocating that physical responses are acceptable to resolve the things you don't like to hear from another member?

In my mind there is nothing that Leo G could have said to warrant Sheryl Wyle's dumping a container of iced tea on Leo's head and all the while her husband stood by.
It is Leo that again has demonstrated restraint. And, that is the end of the story. Should you desire to figure out what is "the missing part of the story" as you suggest or what was going on in the mind of the Wyle's perhaps you should consult with them.

I would not pretend for one split second to understand what was going on in the minds of the Wyle's to exhibit that behavior.
It is disgraceful.
No what I am saying is there is always more than one version of the story and that the same version is the only one told here.
To pour a glass of ice tea over someones head is far from an everyday action. Something must have pushed that lady very hard to allow her to go to such a dramatic act. That part of the story is missing.
Say all you want about Mr. Garvey, tell me all about his integrity and how he is fighting a good fight. I am making the statement that there is more to this action than meets the eye. Not everyone cares for the New York style of in your face confrontation.

Have at me, I have been a blue collar guy my whole life and my skin is very thick.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #140
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Not everyone cares for the New York style of in your face confrontation.
Frank, you want to explain that comment as a New Yorker I want to know

Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com