Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #241
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Yes that was me Bob, Wheel Interested. I loved Kerry's report. Wouldn't it be wonderful if that is the way the changes will actually play out! You liked it too didn't you? Then the IP had the lapse in judgment to renig upon an agreement made with the region presidents to move Forest's amendment forward without delay or prejudice in exchange for Region President Neumarkel's withdrawal of his motion from the agenda. Isn't that what happened? Were you listening then as well? There is a huge credibility issue and disconnect in the wake of such proceedings that I do not think is unfounded. For the IP to say he cannot disregard the constitution but then also to admit the IBT is the interpreter of the constitution and disregard the region presents' vote is unethical after procuring his gain in the bargain. It does make Kerry's visionary future of the WBCCI seem less likely to occur in my opinion. That's the thing. If it gets done to one person there is every likelihood that it will be repeated against other persons. We need to wise up and be diligent.
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #242
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Then the IP had the lapse in judgment to renig upon an agreement made with the region presidents to move Forest's amendment forward without delay or prejudice in exchange for Region President Neumarkel's withdrawal of his motion from the agenda.
This is exactly what happened, the President reneged on his agreement. Dan Neumarkel told me directly, in a telephone conversation, that he asked the President for something more tangible than just his word that it would happen. Dan said that the President threw his pencil down and said, "are you calling me a liar?" Dan told him no, just that he wanted some guarentee in exchange for withdrawing motion #5. The President told him it would happen, that his word was good.

Then today, he reneges. Out and out, bold face. He acknowledged there was an agreement and reneges on it. Then completely ignores the International Treasurer's motion to require that it move forward. Doesn't even bother to rule it out of order, just simply ignores it. Outrageous, absolutely outrageous!

There has to be some kind of response to this, something to make them accountable.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #243
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1968 30' Sovereign
1988 29' Excella
Appleton , Wisconsin
A Letter to the IBT

Ed and I will be sending the following via email tonight to all members of the IBT. Selective use of our constitution and bylaws cannot be tolerated. If anyone at the IBT meeting would be willing to confirm which members are attending in non-Airstream RV's, we would appreciate the information.

To: All Members of the WBCCI Board of Trustees

Date: January 28, 2011

Subject: WBCCI Members attending the Mid-Winter IBT Meeting

It has come to our attention that some members attending and participating in the Mid-Winter IBT meeting are residing in their non-Airstream RV. These members are parked together in an area separate from the main WBCCI parking.

This is in direct conflict with the Constitution and Bylaws of our club*. As our International President Norm Beu along with our Constitution and Bylaw Committee Chairman Don Shafer repeatedly stated today, they have taken an oath to uphold our Constitution and Bylaws, and there can be no exceptions. We expect immediate and swift action to correct this violation.

If these members have participated in meetings and deliberations, we believe that all actions from this meeting be considered null and void.

We expect a detailed report of which members are present and participating illegally. It is the duty of President Norm Beu to publicly address this issue. When the governing body of our club chooses to ignore the very constitution it has sworn to uphold, the WBCCI membership deserves answers.

*ARTICLE IV, MEMBERSHIP AND MEMBERSHIP PRIVILEGES
SECTION 9 BYLAWS

Except as authorized by section 12 of this article, only members of the international club traveling in a recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc. and their guests, and visitors especially authorized by the Executive Committee of the international club, may be admitted to an Intra-club, a unit, a region, or a national caravan or to an Intra-club, a unit, a region, a special events, a national, or an international rally. However, members of the international club may attend an Intra-club, a unit, a state, a region, a special event, a national, or an international rally without their recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc. When it is inconvenient or impossible for them to travel in said
recreational vehicle, provided such members do not attend (for the purpose of this section attend is defined as “to be present at any rally activity”) in any other make of recreational vehicle. The requirements of this section shall not be applicable to members of the international club traveling outside the North American continent in caravans organized under the sponsorship of the international relations standing committee. (1/18/02)
redwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #244
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagon View Post
Ed and I will be sending the following via email tonight to all members of the IBT. ... (rest deleted to keep post shorter)
Is there any way to identify who it was? It would make denial into a much less feasible response.
Lynn
Old 01-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #245
Rivet Master

Just remember the old saying:

"You get what you pay for"

So I guess this means if we up the dues to say $75.00 it will get better, right?

If it wasn't so sad, it almost be funny.

You can walk away at anytime,
Old 01-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #246
Rivet Master

Doug and Maggie. If you or anyone else is still in Robstown, PM me with your phone number., I have a possible way to research this... SOB in Class A fiberglass clothing. I just don't want to let the "cat out", how.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #247
Certifiable

. , .
$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
There has to be some kind of response to this, something to make them accountable.
Mere members CAN make a difference if they act as a GROUP.

The ONLY time members have any real leverage is at renewal time. But as long as members keep paying dues without question, members will continue to be ignored.

If a UNIT could very publicly withhold their dues beyond next years Mid-Winters, that UNIT will be sending a very clear message and others will probably follow.

The IBT, with its fiduciary responsibility, cannot look at non-renewal rates and simply ignore them. They won't be able to expect ANY percentage of non-renewals to come back to them. It was 18% this year. Would another 25%--30% on top of that 18% help Mr. Schafer and Mr. Beu interpret the Constitution and deal a little more honestly?

MEMBERS have the most leverage at renewal time if large GROUPS of members act alike; if entire UNITS act alike.

Mere members CAN make a difference... Otherwise, you can just fall back on the words of Mr. Schafer from LAST YEAR'S Mid-Winter Rally that in 12-18 months he believes the IBT is going to have to come back with another $10 increase or MORE.

FYI, each and every unit can be an independently registered corporation within their own state. It's really quite simple. There are also provisions in the Blue Book that address what needs to be done. (e.g., Art VII, Sections 4 & 6)

We Do Hereby Secede!

There are no Constitutional or Bylaw provisions that describe how to secede from the Union. You simply declare it. The Declaration of Independence is a secession document justifying an act whereby “one people...dissolve the Political Bands which have connected them with another.” George Washington, John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson were all secessionists.

If you really want to go for it, take a fresh look at the Declaration of Independence and simply modify it to taste. List your grievances and then assert your rights.

"... That the [__________ ] Unit is, and of right ought to be, a free and independent unit of Airstreamers; that she is absolved from all allegiance to the WBCCI, and that all connection between us and the WBCCI, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as a free and independent Unit, we have full power to do all acts and things which independent Units may of right do." (Inspired by Thomas Jefferson, Declaration of Independence)
Old 01-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #248
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't think they really care about non-renewals. They give lip service to it, but they have that $1,000,000+ to fall back on. If they did care, they wouldn't pull the kinds of stunts they did today. What kind of person gives his word and reneges on it?

They keep pushing that motorhome issue in spite of the members stating so clearly they don't want it. I think it is as clear as it could be. They're going to find a way, that little group, and the hell with what the members want. They will find a way to do it without the membership approving it, that's what I think.

Maggie
Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #249
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
That depends, on the delegates meeting,..

Speak to your unit pres on the procedures please.

Bob,

Sorry, I'm not understanding your answer to my question:

Is my unit going to be expected to vote on a single motion to replace the entire Constitution?

I guess so that I'm clear, what I'm asking is if this revised constitution will be an "all or nothing" vote? I do realize that anything can happen at the meetings.

Please forgive me! I'm new at this!

DanB
(unit president)
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #250
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Is my unit going to be expected to vote on a single motion to replace the entire Constitution?

I guess so that I'm clear, what I'm asking is if this revised constitution will be an "all or nothing" vote? I do realize that anything can happen at the meetings.

Please forgive me! I'm new at this!

DanB
(unit president)
Dan,
I am not a Parliamentarian, but I would expect that the motion, including at least the revised Constitution will be sent to all Units for a vote "as is" without a direct means to propose modification. The opportunity to provide input has passed and the CBL Revision committee has come up with their proposal.

However, when a unit votes on this motion, they could instruct their Delegate to attempt to amend the motion at the Delagates meeting to make changes they feel are needed. I would recommend fighting this urge. It will be far more likely to pass whatever is provided than to pass anything that gets modified in the Delagates meeting because many units will restrict their delegate from voting "for" an amended motion and the discussion of amendments could take so long that it never comes to a vote.

I would recommend voting on it as presented and if it passes then proceed to propose desired changes, if you have any. That's my take on it anyway.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #251
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Is there going to be an end to delegates? That is less effective than giving delegates more power as a balance to the IBT. One member one vote without delegates means members will only be able to vote on what the IBT presents, doesn't it? Just like we can only vote regardless if we had one member one vote now or not to take it or leave what the revision committee has compiled. By that hit or miss method it could take forever to get a combination all will accept, meanwhile the IBT is cranking out all the decisions all the time. Instead of having delegates and meetings where work can be drafted we will have the ability only to agree or disagree with what the IBT drafts. Am I missing something or is that much much worse than it is now???

I kind of like mistral blue's declaration of independence. That would give members the most power without obstruction. Succeed to secede to succeed!
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #252
Rivet Master

Looks like we maybe done. We will sleep on it but it doesn't look good for Chris and I staying members after this year is up.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #253
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
I would recommend voting on it as presented and if it passes then proceed to propose desired changes, if you have any. That's my take on it anyway.
Depending on how "wonderful" this new constitution it may be best to vote it out, push Forest's motion through and then work on changes. At least Forest's motion breaks up the power block.

Just a thought, Dan

P.S. I got a letter from Cindy Reed today asking me to reconsider renewing my membership in the WBCCI. What do you think my response might be after today's example of fine leadership? The timing could not have been better.
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:14 AM   #254
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Do I have a say in that? If you go I will be very disappointed! But boy do I understand! If it wasn't for the VAC, we would be gone also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Looks like we maybe done. We will sleep on it but it doesn't look good for Chris and I staying members after this year is up.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 AM   #255
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
If they hold the usual "State of the Club" meeting at Sarasota this year it should be lively
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:18 AM   #256
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Bob seems fully assimilated into that self-important IBT mindset. He has information but won't share it when members ask. It's not about what members want and need, it's about power and secrecy and being better than the rest.

You could be so helpful, Bob. Shame on you.

Maggie
Old 01-29-2011, 05:49 AM   #257
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Maggie, that's really not a fair statement, who on any committee posts here more than myself.

assimilated - now that's really funny.

I said that the committee needs to finalize the document over the next 10 days or so.

Until then all should relax, I don't know what you think I'm not sharing that I have first hand knowledge about.

let me repeat Kerry's message;

The Blue Book Revision Committee was initiated by President Norm Beu at the July 5, 2010 meeting in Gillette as a Special Committee of the Executive Committee. Why a Revision Committee? RONR describes the Revision process as one that includes sufficient changes that the resulting document really is a new document, not an amended document. Our Constitution, Bylaws and Policy - the Blue Book - is an amalgam of original text, multiple amendments and additions. It is complex, frequently contradictory or ambiguous and cumbersome. It needs an overhaul.
Dona Garner, our Club Parliamentarian, was asked to Chair the Committee and I was asked to be a member. Joe Perryman from Washington was next, followed by Bob Novak, Metro NY and finally Tom Smithson from the NorCal Unit. We started as a diverse group of members from different geographic areas, with differing backgrounds in the Club. What we shared is a passion for this Club and a desire to see it move forward at a time when most of the news we get about the state of our Club is not encouraging.
At the outset, we had a ready supply of material to work with. Over the past number of years, there have been studies, member surveys, failed motions to amend the Constitution and Bylaws, reports from the 2020 Committee and many ideas for change that never reached the motion stage. We interviewed Standing Committee Chairs, Region Presidents, and Executive Committee members. Much of what we needed to do our job already existed or had been previously discussed.
A Constitution is the foundation on which an organization is built. Ours was designed in an era when WBCCI was growing into a club with tens of thousands of members. That is not the Club that we have today and our Constitution has grown dated. It is important to understand that the Constitution and its Bylaws are a very integrated package, where any change, even a small one, can have unintended consequences in one, two or five other areas. That has made amending our Constitution and Bylaws a difficult task.

A Revision provides an opportunity for a fresh, comprehensive approach. The goal is to have a new Constitution ready for review by the members of WBCCI in the coming weeks, studied and then voted on by Units for the Delegates meeting at the International Rally in DuQuoin this June. I commend our President and the Executive Committee for having the courage to give us this opportunity and the commitment to see it through to completion.
Ladies and gentlemen, after many hundreds of hours of work, we are almost finished in drafting a new Constitution for WBCCI. We are still working some minor details but we are 99% there. We believe that this proposed Constitution is a workable approach to running the business of WBCCI in a leaner, more efficient and more participative manner. It is appropriate for the Club that we are today and hopefully will be well into the future. While a new Constitution can help us to operate more efficiently, it doesn’t change the real heart of WBCCI – Fun, Fellowship and Adventure. Instead, it changes how we do our business.

So what is different? Virtually every Article and Section has been changed in some manner – from editorial changes to complete rewrites. The following are some of the highlights:

·
We have gone back to our club roots and replaced the Code of Ethics with a Standard of Conduct that is positive, that further enshrines the Fun, Fellowship and Adventure of WBCCI.
·
The proposal is based on a leaner WBCCI structure, with a smaller Executive Committee and a smaller regional structure resulting in a smaller IBT.
·
We are shortening the term of office for region officers and lengthening the term for the International Treasurer and Recording Secretary, for purposes of continuity.
·
We are proposing to use direct member voting for election of officers and for future amendments to our Constitution while retaining a deliberative forum for discussing key issues.
·
We are giving greater flexibility in setting dates for the International Rally and, since with direct member voting there will be no Delegates, we will have fewer meetings at the rally, allowing more opportunity for Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
·
We are proposing that MALs be given more rights within the Club, such as the right to vote and hold office in Intra-Clubs and at the International level.
·
There is a simplified and streamlined process for any future amendments to the Constitution and Standard of Conduct that will be the same for all, no matter where the proposed amendment originates.

· One thing that is new is that WBCCI will be able to use electronic means to do any and all of its business, as may be appropriate. Our current Constitution doesn’t allow that.
This proposed constitution truly is a new document and a new way for WBCCI to conduct its affairs. But as Darrell Watters described us at Gillette last year, we are a traveling social club. What we value and want to maintain are the social aspects of our Club. Nothing that we are proposing will change that.

So, what is next? We are doing our final edit o make sure that we have all the words right and haven’t overlooked anything in the final document. An explanation of what is different and the rationale will be developed to be distributed along with the proposed Constitution.

This material will be made available to all Units so that members can study the proposal, vote on it and instruct their Delegate. The Delegates meeting at DuQuoin will be a pivotal meeting for the future of this Club. We may never have a better opportunity to make these kinds of decisions. To the Units, we ask that you make sure that your Delegate will be there and that your voice will be heard on this critical issue.

Our Committee has also started work on the Bylaws and Policy, but of course cannot go too far down that road until the Delegates vote and approve a new Constitution. Once that is done, the Bylaws will follow quickly and we can assure you, they will also be slimmer and simpler.

Mr. President, we are very confident that we have a good workable package that will move this Club forward, that will remove some of the irritants that have caused dissention and that will give us a leaner, more efficient organization. There have been many calls for change in WBCCI.

Well, it’s here and it’s time. Members of WBCCI, it’s your time to decide.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:11 AM   #258
Rivet Master

Bob,

You're starting to sound like a parrot again. Say something new or you won't get a cracker!

(Where have I heard that line before)
Old 01-29-2011, 06:34 AM   #259
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Maggie, that's really not a fair statement, who on any committee posts here more than myself.

assimilated - now that's really funny.

I said that the committee needs to finalize the document over the next 10 days or so.

Until then all should relax, I don't know what you think I'm not sharing that I have first hand knowledge about.

I think it's completely fair and accurate, Bob. You answer questions with questions and/or evasive answers. Look at your own posts.

This has been a social work field study in organizational and bureaucratic behavior.

Maggie
Old 01-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #260
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
How can you say that without having seen the changes? The present organization certainly needs to be changed, but the events of the last few days (and the last few months) engender little confidence that the new constitution and bylaws are better than the present.

And we've seen how well "proceeding to propose desired changes" works.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wbcci