Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I agree with Maggie. It would appear to be time to take a deep breath, step away from the mouse, and although it is early maybe have a cocktail. Tomorrow, after the new language is release, everyone has had a chance to read it and understand the changes, then would be a good time to provide Bob with feedback on collective thoughts.

Being a "glass half full" kind of person, I will anticipate that many good changes will be present and congratulations will be owed to all who helped bring about positive change. This includes all who have given the committee input as well as Bob which includes almost everyone on this thread/forum I think.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
So does this mean that the people who supported the Defend Wally movement are going to get their money back soon? Sounds like you are very positive about the revisions to the constitution which is what you were waiting on before refiling the suit or refunding money.
Hey when I said that the mods deleted my post. You must be specialer than me.
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
I agree with Maggie. It would appear to be time to take a deep breath, step away from the mouse, and although it is early maybe have a cocktail. Tomorrow, after the new language is release, everyone has had a chance to read it and understand the changes, then would be a good time to provide Bob with feedback on collective thoughts.

Being a "glass half full" kind of person, I will anticipate that many good changes will be present and congratulations will be owed to all who helped bring about positive change. This includes all who have given the committee input as well as Bob which includes almost everyone on this thread/forum I think.

Absolutely.

As some here have already said , change is a process, not an event.

I think we're seeing some good things happening---if not from actual leadership, who may be stuck in and being influenced by old-guard-mode, from below and including the Region Presidents who will be moving up the ranks. This is a good sign, and what we should be seeing at this point, IMO.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Maggie
Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #144
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
What about the motorhome issue? The length of carravans? zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #145
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
As of now the MOHO thing is stopped because Larry Huddle has not yet said whether Thor would rebadge a motorhome. He was supposed to be at the IBT but was not as of last broadcast. We will see what tomorrow brings. Terrible thing to listen to all the MOHO owners crying about not being able to replace their coaches.

Nothing on Caravan length. I assume some one will need to bring that motion back again?
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #146
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Thanks, zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #147
Rivet Master

Quoted from Zizagguzzi,""Terrible thing to listen to all the MOHO owners crying about not being able to replace their coaches.""

I really don't understand this aging motorhome whining. We have friends and affilates who travel in early 1990's vintage Class A's. Heck, the Beaver Ambassador Club's membership couple live full-time for the last 20 some years in their 1992 Beaver Marquis with 256,000 miles on it.
All it takes is general upkeep. Tires, airbags, Norgren air valves, bushings, belts, shocks, etc. Even the 1st Prevost Marathon converted is still on the road, 1985 model..
If these owners aren't taking good care of their coaches, then that is their fault. They just want a new one, so lets not stop them, there are other clubs! Look at our signature, we have an SOB Class A for other RV Clubs.
The Class A chassis is based on a commercial one, and they are supposed to last 100's of thousands of miles and many years. I don't get it. Someone, please help me understand.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #148
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Hey when I said that the mods deleted my post. You must be specialer than me.
Perhaps Carol is because I have nothing at stake in all of this. I am sure I am not the only person who believes the people who donated to Defend Wally were wronged by having their funds held. It is still my opinion whether someone resents it or not, and I am sure I am not alone in that opinion.

I DO appreciate Bob answering the question though, and letting people know the $ is going to be released soon.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #149

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Quoted from Zizagguzzi,""Terrible thing to listen to all the MOHO owners crying about not being able to replace their coaches.""

I really don't understand this aging motorhome whining. We have friends and affilates who travel in early 1990's vintage Class A's. Heck, the Beaver Ambassador Club's membership couple live full-time for the last 20 some years in their 1992 Beaver Marquis with 256,000 miles on it.
All it takes is general upkeep. Tires, airbags, Norgren air valves, bushings, belts, shocks, etc. Even the 1st Prevost Marathon converted is still on the road, 1985 model..
If these owners aren't taking good care of their coaches, then that is their fault. They just want a new one, so lets not stop them, there are other clubs! Look at our signature, we have an SOB Class A for other RV Clubs.
The Class A chassis is based on a commercial one, and they are supposed to last 100's of thousands of miles and many years. I don't get it. Someone, please help me understand.
Because it's not called the Wally Byum Vintage Airstream Caravan Club. If a member wants a new coach, and wants it to be an Airstream (even if only rebadged), what do you care? Your solution sounds like Cuba where everyone (that can afford one) drives around in 1950's era cars and just keeps repairing them. Doesn't make a new vehicle wrong.
Sasparilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #150
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post
Because it's not called the Wally Byum Vintage Airstream Caravan Club. If a member wants a new coach, and wants it to be an Airstream (even if only rebadged), what do you care? Your solution sounds like Cuba where everyone (that can afford one) drives around in 1950's era cars and just keeps repairing them. Doesn't make a new vehicle wrong.
The reason I care is because I joined an Airstream club, not Good Sam.

There may be some validity to re badging, but in addition to saying Airstream, it needs to be sold and serviced through Airstream dealers and Ideally titled as an Airstream, although I understand some are titled as whatever the chassis is.
Unless Larry Huttle makes a statement at tomorrows meeting it is a dead issue at the moment anyway.

This seems to be a semi annual issue even though it has been voted down repeatedly
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 01-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #151

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
The reason I care is because I joined an Airstream club, not Good Sam.

There may be some validity to re badging, but in addition to saying Airstream, it needs to be sold and serviced through Airstream dealers and Ideally titled as an Airstream, although I understand some are titled as whatever the chassis is.
Unless Larry Huttle makes a statement at tomorrows meeting it is a dead issue at the moment anyway.

This seems to be a semi annual issue even though it has been voted down repeatedly
Valid opinions to be sure, Rick, however that is different than the points being raised by Coloradobus, whom I quoted and responded to.

Rick, let me ask you this. If I buy a 1960's Airstream trailer from a private party, completely remodel the interior with all new fixtures, appliances, etc., and never have it serviced at, or even go near an Airstream dealer, how am I able to meet your requirements other than having a name on it and having it titled as an Airstream? Yet, I would be absolutely able to join WBCCI wouldn't I? I understand you wanting to draw a line somewhere, and rightly so, but as I understand it Thor would be rebadging one of their other coaches and distributing it through the Airstream dealer network. How much "Airstream" content on the interior would be enough to make it an Airstream? Where do you draw that line? I'm certain that there is much about the Cutters and XLs, etc. that share components with other Thor coach lines (and probably non-Thor as well) yet those are acceptable. Seems to me, if it is made by Thor, is sold as an Airstream through Airstream dealers, it should be considered an Airstream. It's not like some member is buying a Prevost, having custom Airstream badging applied and trying to pass it off as an Airstream...
Sasparilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post
Valid opinions to be sure, Rick, however that is different than the points being raised by Coloradobus, whom I quoted and responded to.

Seems to me, if it is made by Thor, is sold as an Airstream through Airstream dealers, it should be considered an Airstream. It's not like some member is buying a Prevost, having custom Airstream badging applied and trying to pass it off as an Airstream...

I see no connection with the new motorhome question and the used airstream example.

Your last paragraph is pretty well what I said.. In regard to the serviced part, what I meant is sold by Airstream (new) and service available from Airstream.

In reality I have never been to Airstream for service or bought (used) from an Airstream dealer in the 40 years I have had Airstreams.

The problem with allowing in another THOR brand, not sold as an Airstream through the Airstream network is you are now opening the door for all Thor products and pretty soon this is a Thor Club.
Then there are the people with Integrity fifth wheels. Maybe they should also be able to buy a Thor fifth wheel and stay in the club since an Airstream fifth wheel is no longer available.

I also DO agree with Coloradobus that with proper care there should be no NEED to buy a new motorhome, so it gets down to a matter of want. ( I can say that because my tow vehicle has 555,000 miles on it ) Nothing wrong with that, but the price of admission is owning an Airstream.
Afraid we are wandering a bit off the meeting topic here, other than there may be some discussion of this on the meeting feed tomorrow.
Sliding back into the wood work now
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #153
Rivet Master

Welcome SAS. After being members of the WALLY BYAM, that's with an "A" in Byam (Sas' typo in post from #149), Caravan Club for over 17 years, we enjoy all ages of Airstreams. We choose to own vintage trailers, and we choose to own a newer one to use and enjoy what the WBCCI has to offer, namely single brand RV rallies. We have an SOB Class A, so we can participate in FMCA, GOOD SAM and POG.
We used to own a 1999 Cutter Diesel 12 years ago, but decided we WANTED something else. To stay in WBCCI ,we bought a vintage Airstream. The Airstream population in our barn has mushroomed to include a 2006 model as well. You can't accuse us of being Vintage only.
We have no issue if another THOR Class A is re-badged as an Airstream, as long as it is sold under the same perameters as the "Airstream Westfalia" Sprinter, "Airstream Interstate" Sprinter or the "Avenue Chevrolet" and just like the "Ford E-350 B-190" of which we used to own one.. What we do care about is not allowing a Mandalay-type, or Damon-type Class A to waltz into WBCCI and the onwers allowed full membership rights.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #154
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post

I really don't understand this aging motorhome whining.
My Dad put a million miles on his tractor trailer before a rebuild was needed, and that's what he did.

Then again he was a GOOD truck driver that took GOOD care of his equipment.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #155
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Region Merit Awards

While we are waiting for the meeting to start I was wondering if someone could tell me more about the region merit award winners. What makes an outstanding region and what are the plans and goals set by the winners? And is this information published along with the results of what regions qualified? I think learning what makes a region outstanding would help other regions and units to work towards excellence. Without having a merit award pack I am not familiar with what qualifies units or regions for merit. Perhaps some one in the know will touch upon these highlights. But most especially I would like to know what the winning region goals and plans are.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #156
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Much better music today! Things are looking up!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #157
Certifiable

. , .
Saddle Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
While we are waiting for the meeting to start...
Check out the new tunes. Yee-Haw!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #158
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
Check out the new tunes. Yee-Haw!
yeah? I better get on it.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #159
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

That brings a smile to my face on this snowy Michigan grey day! Fun surprise.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #160
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
So far so great. I am loving Kerry's report.

Tags
wbcci