Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Beaumont , Texas
New guy here!

Ok, first a little back story! We were getting our house ready, so that we could sell it and move to Idaho! Then we had a house fire, and now we are going to have to wait till our house is repaired to put it on the market! So I have purchased a 2002 34 ft Airstream classic to live in until our house is finished and for when we move to Idaho. So far I have replaced the bathroom vent fan, the galley sink faucet, and the shower hose, head, and vacuum breaker! Now we are trying to locate a window for the galley (glass only), and we have a leak in the shell somewhere, as the only evidence is a wet carpet. My issue is in finding parts! Is there an online wholesaler that stocks everything airstream? How do I find out where this leak is coming from with out gutting the inside? Is there anything else I can check? I would also like some organization ideas, as five people in a 34 ft travel trailer for ay longer than a vacation situation is a little much! Also any ideas on internet that we can use on the road!Any information will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_23724432864848.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	205163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_23732139363393.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	205164  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_23738195218148.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	205165  
b_ray_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Really sorry about your fire. Bummer but sounds like it wasn't a total loss.

Nice looking rig and a big one at that!

Parts for that model should be available - search here, the web, call Airstream customer service, . . . .

Leaks - not sure where your wet carpet is but first "look see" should be on the roof around vents and penetrations looking for cracks and/or damaged caulk. Next - if it is the rear, look at the bumper to shell caulking. Next look at caulking around tops of windows. . . . . . Caulking and it usually apparent that it has deteriorated. Any place there is a penetration in the shell - awning supports, step light, stove vent, access doors, . . . .

Ref. galley window - I assume you are talking about replacing the glass in an existing window. I would start out with a call to the factory customer service for insights on the repair. They will then tell you to order the needed parts from you local dealer (I have had much success with that - fast and accurate delivery to my door) and they will give you the part number if you don't have it already. Then perhaps a call to these folks to inquire. They generally sell to the vintage market but are very friendly and the Forum crowd knows them well. Both will try to help you.
Airstream Glass
Inland RV Center Inc.

Best of luck

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
There is a spiffy machine available (Seatech?) at many RV repair centers that fits over one of your vents and slightly pressuriizes your rig, a little soapy water applied with a garden sprayer and leaks are discovered!

Some, more handy than I, have replicated the process using a garden leaf blower. If you are handy and have a leaf blower, you can probably search up the procedure on this forum or on IRV2.net. Worth a shot, anyway.

Enjoy the journey,

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_ray_p View Post
Ok, first a little back story! We were getting our house ready, so that we could sell it and move to Idaho! Then we had a house fire, and now we are going to have to wait till our house is repaired to put it on the market! So I have purchased a 2002 34 ft Airstream classic to live in until our house is finished and for when we move to Idaho. So far I have replaced the bathroom vent fan, the galley sink faucet, and the shower hose, head, and vacuum breaker! Now we are trying to locate a window for the galley (glass only), and we have a leak in the shell somewhere, as the only evidence is a wet carpet. My issue is in finding parts! Is there an online wholesaler that stocks everything airstream? How do I find out where this leak is coming from with out gutting the inside? Is there anything else I can check? I would also like some organization ideas, as five people in a 34 ft travel trailer for ay longer than a vacation situation is a little much! Also any ideas on internet that we can use on the road!Any information will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!
There is "no" Airstream parts wholesaler on or off line.

But there is some "on" line Airstream retailers.

You cannot get "glass" only. The only way windows are available for your Airstream, is "sash and glass".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_ray_p View Post
Sorry.

Glass only is availabel for your Airstream.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
pressure test

I also have been thinking about pressure testing just as a precaution.
Our AS is presently stored for the winter, but I am planning to pull it out for a wash and wax as soon as the weather warms just a little more. It would be a great time to do a pressure test and look for leaks while I am washing it. Both the gray and black tanks were thoroughly flushed and drained before storing. I plan to attach an electric leaf blower to the septic discharge line then open the grey water dump valve. When the leaf blower is started the air should reverse into the gray tank then through the drains and pressurize the cabin if the doors and windows are sealing effectively. I plan to leave it running all of the time I am washing to look for any leaks. The blower is low pressure, high volume so there should be no chance of rupturing anything. Question, has anyone done this before, am I on the right track? Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Sounds like a plan, would be nice if the p-traps were dry before you hit the "on switch...

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStar View Post
I also have been thinking about pressure testing just as a precaution.
. . . . . .I plan to attach an electric leaf blower to the septic discharge line then open the grey water dump valve. . . . . Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Don't want to rain on your parade but having recently changed out the freshwater tank on a 2010, I was surprised to discover the number of leakage points to the outside around the tank vault, etc. They are simply not sealed up. You will need a very large flow rate to keep up with the huge leakage through areas like this, the refrigerator, etc.

I don't believe you can get the proper amount of flow through the drain system. The drain piping is small diameter and you will get a huge pressure drop trying to back flow through them. In addition, how will you stop up the vents off the gray water system on the roof?

I am not certain that a leaf blower has the volumetric flow rate needed to pressurize an Airstream even if you could get the flow into the trailer effectively. The blowers that folks use to pressurize one are huge and they typically are put inside the trailer and have a short path to the suction side via the fantastic vent for example. So big flow, unobstructed suction and discharge, normal leakage accommodated, but resulting pressure high enough to find unwanted external leaks.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Thanks for the input, excellent points to ponder. I also have access to a low pressure commercial blower that has a 6" suction and discharge. I may look at using it inside the trailer with the suction thru a fantastic vent. As far as I know, our AS has never had any leaks but it has always been stored under cover and we don't get a lot of rain in West Texas. It would be nice to identify and head off any problems before we get on the road this spring.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:12 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Beaumont , Texas
Thanks for all the info so far!! Keep it coming. It would be awesome if someone had some pics of the storage and organization in their trailers as well!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Beaumont , Texas
Another thing I was thinking about is, I currently drive a 2003 toyota tundra 4 by 4! Will this haul the 34 classic?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Wellington , Ontario
I have a 2005 Tundra 4x4 with the 5.8L engine.... and have been thru some steep climbs like Gaspe, Quebec, and then there the long climbs in Pennsylvania... and NEVER have any problems. Only issue is keeping the speed of the truck/trailer down to the speed limit as I forget I have our 34 foot Airstream attached. Use a Hensley Hitch as well. Hard sometimes to hitch up... but seem to forget that the trailer is behind me. Never had any trailer sway. Trust this helps. Not sure what size of engine you have.
LNorthway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNorthway View Post
I have a 2005 Tundra 4x4 with the 5.8L engine.... and have been thru some steep climbs like Gaspe, Quebec, and then there the long climbs in Pennsylvania... and NEVER have any problems. Only issue is keeping the speed of the truck/trailer down to the speed limit as I forget I have our 34 foot Airstream attached. Use a Hensley Hitch as well. Hard sometimes to hitch up... but seem to forget that the trailer is behind me. Never had any trailer sway. Trust this helps. Not sure what size of engine you have.
Did you mean 4.8L engine? The 5.7 became an option in 2007.

Sent from my DROID4 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
A 2005 Tundra would have had a 4.7.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Wellington , Ontario
Sorry... meant my Tundra is a 2008 with a 5.8L engine.. Sure runs well! Never had a problem and is GREAT at towing our Airstream!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I wondered about trying to find a leak when I got my trailer. After I was finished I found 11 separate and different leaks from the entry door to the front of the first window forward of the door. I decided to do all the maintenance and eliminate leak points that way. I replaced the 3 roof vents,air conditioner, removed the television antenna, installed sewer vent gaskets, sealed all the seams, replaced all the window and door gaskets, found and fixed 5 missing rivets, sealed the awning rail, sealed the rub rail, replaced all the clearance and running lights with new fixtures with gaskets, butyl sealed all the wire entry points, and fixed one leaking skin lap joint.

I didn't have another leak until the new plastic vent fan flange cracked. I sealed that with Vulkem and haven't had any leaks since.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
A 2008 Tundra would have a 5.7...
It's right on the fender...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Wellington , Ontario
Yes... sorry... it is a 2008 Tundra with a 5.8L engine. I just forget the year... an old age issue. GREAT truck. No issues at all after 190,000km of driving it. Once again, with the 34 foot Airstream behind... I forget it there. Great way to travel! Truck handles it perfectly. Also, our dealer is renowned for trailer hitches... and wow, did they ever set up our truck/trailer correct! We also have a Hensley Hitch, which, due to price, I did not want... now, I would not be without it! Strange hitch... but GREAT to have!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a 2008 Tundra. It has a 5.7 Ltr. engine. No trouble towing my 26' Argosy.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote