Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Greetings from MN - Tall Guy, Polished Airplane

Hi everyone - My name is Patrick, from south of Minneapolis, MN.

Thinking about getting an Airstream trailer for my wife & I to use on weekend excursions.

Have always used a tent, but my wife doesn't like tents anymore since we got in a bad storm a few months ago.

I'm 6' 3" tall, so if anyone has any Airstream related advice for tall guys, let me know...

We have a Ford Explorer Sport, which is the small 2 door model with a V6. So I'd be leaning towards an Airstream that I can tow with that.

You guys might be interested in seeing an aluminum airplane that I polished with Nuvite. Would probably do the same with an Airstream. Here's pictures and video of it:

Patrick Hoyt's Page - Zenith Aircraft Builders and Flyers

It's 6061-T6 aluminum. I built it myself. There's other pictures of it out there, before I polished it. Now it looks like some kind of real-world CGI graphic sitting there.

- Pat
PatrickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Welcome tall dude with shiny plane! Nice! Hope you find the perfect Airstream as you play Goldilocks trying out all the beds to find the one that fits. that's my advice, but then I am a 5'5 female and find the Airstream fits me all the way around. There are lots of threads about tall people and tow vehicles so enjoy your search for your perfect carriage, and welcome to the forums. Wendy
Old 09-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I just started liking my neighbors better.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
College Station , Texas
I'm 6"3" and have never yet bumped my head in our Safari. I may slouch, however.

Mike

"The written word will soon disappear, and we'll no longer be able to read good prose like we used to could." - James Thurber
mddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I am only 6' and a little clumsy and I bump my head on something almost every day that I spend in an Airstream. Wear a hat all the time. The entry door is the main offender. Some people put a cushioned frame on the top inside. The curved walls trick me into thinking I am clear of it when I am not. I know people 6-6 and over that do just fine in an airstream.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post

Patrick,

Yep, 'yer neighbor looked a little worried there.

grew up with my Uncle flying his Stitts SA-7...good memories.

Good luck in your search.

Bob
Old 09-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
When I read this I laughed so hard I almost spit coffee all over my keyboard.

Our neighborhood is right under the approach for the big airport at Minneapolis, and we have jets flying right over the house every few minutes. I never get tired of watching them. Even saw Air Force One fly low over this area a couple weeks ago. You either love it or hate it, and we love it.

Most of my neighbors are pilots or engine guys of some sort, and there's often something loud running around here. One guy has a stock car for racing. Couple guys have Harley's. Other guys have fast cars. I'd much rather hear a neighbor's well tuned engine than his kid's stereo...

But we also appreciate getting away and finding peace and quiet. Just from what little I've learned so far, it sounds like Airstreams are pretty good quality. I've never regretted buying "quality", but I have regretted buying "cheap" before.

Still a lot to learn. That's half the fun right there.

- Patrick
Old 09-17-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

I am 6'5" and my wife and I fit in a 25 Safari with twin beds.
I can stand straight up in the middle of the trailer and can stretch out in the bed.
Low points are the shower; sit on the seat or stoop, the front door and the door frame for the sliding door into the bedroom. After bumping my head once or twice, I know when to duck.
GVW is 6300 lbs, so you won't be towing a 25 Safari with an Explorer Sport.
Smaller Airstreams have beds that are unsuitable for tall people unless you are sleeping alone.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Welcome to the Forums. The Forums Classifieds are a good place to look for a trailer.
When you find your perfect trailer, plan to check out the Minnesota Airstream Park that is about 30 miles west of Minneapolis, just 1 mile off Hwy 10. Lots of great people there who will be glad to welcome you & talk "Airstreams".
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickW View Post
When I read this I laughed so hard I almost spit coffee all over my keyboard.

Hi Patrick,

Glad you took my comment in a good way. That's how it was meant.

My son lives in St Louis Park just northwest of downtown Minneapolis. I've done lots of good business in the cities over the years. I even lived up there for a few months right out of high school in the 60's. Lots of nice people, good restaurants, great economy, terrible winters.

Good luck in your adventures.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I'm 6'3" and have no problems in my Tradewind. No need to slouch or duck. Keep in mind that the vintage trailers are narrower and lighter than the newer models.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
I'm 6'3" as well, and even in a 1959 18' model, I have no issues with height. Granted, I only have a few inches to spare (less once I put the hardwood in soon), and I'm also specifically getting low-profile modern ceiling lights, not the vintage dome style. I would be more concerned about the length of bed you get....

We are completely changing the layout of the trailer in the redesign so we can fit a queen for the length.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, before we bought our trailer, I owned an Explorer Sport. It was the most reliable and most comfortable vehicle that I ever owned. But we were planning on buying a 25' trailer and the Sport wasn't big enough to handle our trailer. That's why we bought our Navigator. The wheel base on the Sport is too short to tow any Airstream. [my opinion]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for all the advice!

My wife had been wanting a new car to replace her old Explorer, so we bought a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with the V-8 and the Class 4 tow package. Much better towing capacity...

We visited a local RV dealership that had about a dozen Airstreams on hand. One in particular was strikingly beautiful, with a flawless hickory interior. But it was way more than what we can afford.

So I'm thinking that maybe restoring an older one would be an interesting project. I'll need another project after I get the airplane done...

Still have a ton to learn, and appreciate everyone who has shared their stories and experiences here on this forum.

- Pat