Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 06:18 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Does anyone maintain any targeted Google searches or monitor any legal tickers that might pick up on the inevitable precedent-setting lawsuit?

When it gets filed, there will be no announcement from the plaintiff. That's not the way it works - their attorneys will make them go to radio silence while litigation is pending. We'll have to hear about it because someone picks up on it from a third-party source, not because an affected party announces it here. And when it happens, I'd like to follow the case.

There are so many high-level near misses being reported lately that appear to be due to Airstream's negligence that there's a high probability of tragedy on the horizon. Near misses always tell us one thing loud and clear: the Big One is coming. So far, nobody has died (that we know of) due to (1) an improperly-installed electrical inverter catching fire or (2) an airbag being triggered by mis-wiring or (3) an electrical awning deploying spontaneously at freeway speeds and sending a rig careening over a highway embankment, etc. etc. The handwriting is on the aluminum wall, though - someone is going to get seriously injured or killed. At the rate things appear to be going with Airstream, it's only a matter of time.

I monitor a legal ticker that bullet-points notable cases being brought in southeast Texas, just in case one of my industrial clients pops up on it (if they are sued for any reason, it could impact their ability to pay their vendors, including me). It can be interesting to see the full range of who is suing who and for what.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
2010 16' International
ft. myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Yeh, right. They couldn’t even fix the run-a-way drawer.
Ron,
We would love to talk to you about fixing your issues.... I am sorry to hear about them even though you did not purchase from us, we are willing to help.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fladealer View Post
Ron,

We would love to talk to you about fixing your issues.... I am sorry to hear about them even though you did not purchase from us, we are willing to help.

Thanks but you’re over 600 miles away. Have another JC appointment scheduled for September 27. Meanwhile, our new Classic is stored until then.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:55 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSK N TUSK View Post
The most surprising thing about this thread is the fact that the majority of you are surprised by this.
I think more disappointed, especially by the number of shortcomings in quality in the AS product. Not so much surprised with the RV industry's reputation for their lack of concern to produce a quality product.
We have upgrade and corrected a lot of our rig's quality issues. We are at a point where the it is virtually problem free and dependable. It was not inexpensive to get it there I might add. Dometic 310 toilet gets installed very soon. Thanks to GMiller's post, this will correct the unwanted intermittent essence of black tank and provide 'home'-like comfort. It weighs a bit more than the plastic horse-shoe that comes with the vehicle but my calculation of GVWR
indicates I have plenty of spare capacity.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
NTSB would not like seeing this.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:02 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
NTSB would not like seeing this.
The NTSB doesn't care about an unintended airbag deployment in one specific vehicle, no matter the cause. From their web site:
"The National Transportation Safety Board is an independent Federal agency charged by Congress with investigating every civil aviation accident in the United States and significant [emphasis added] accidents in other modes of transportation – railroad, highway, marine and pipeline."
We can discuss what constitutes "significant," but the reality is that the NTSB isn't likely to answer the phone for a highway accident that didn't actually result in multiple deaths. They don't have the resources to investigate the everyday accidents or near-accidents that occur every minute on the nation's highways, especially since it is another Federal agency's mandate to do just that (read on).

On the other hand, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has full jurisdiction over highway and motor vehicle safety issues such as that described by the OP, and is happy to take a report on their web site, at www.nhtsa.gov. The OP should file a report if he still cares to expend time on what is no longer his Atlas.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
Old 10-06-2018, 05:55 AM   #47

Currently Looking...
Joliet , Illinois
Need to open a RV repair business

I’ve been considering buying a Airstream Interstate and possibly the new Atlas for a couple of years now. Unfortunately I think I’ve decided this is no longer a fun or smart purchase. After reading all of these posts I’m convinced I need to open a RV repair business in my town. I could probably make a good living out of repairing RVs.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:08 AM   #48
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Isnt the Atlas a quarter million dollars ($225000) or half of a half million dollars?

Absurd at any price point really!
Old 10-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybiker1 View Post
...I’m convinced I need to open a RV repair business in my town. I could probably make a good living out of repairing RVs.
You may have been making a joke, but let me observe in all seriousness that the going rate for RV repair labor in the Houston metro area is $100/hour minimum, with $120/hour charged at many locations. The shop closest to me has a sign on their exterior door that basically says, "Don't bother walking in here and wasting our time unless you are prepared to pay $100/hr".

It's a high-overhead business but I believe that there is significant market opportunity available, at least in my area. The issue is that you have to be a lone operator, or, you will need to attract employees with cross-disciplinary skills. It's purple squirrel territory. They'd need to know water plumbing plus propane plumbing plus electrical plus woodwork plus metalwork plus bodywork and maybe even engine work. Large operators often use multiple employees, each with a trade skill, of course. The challenge is getting to the size of growth where you could sustain a significant payroll of diverse skills.

The good news is that RV water plumbing is easy peasy once you learn it. Propane plumbing is also straightforward. Electrical - not so much; it's a far steeper learning curve. Some of it, an operator could subcontract out. A person could make good money in this field, but it would involve some hard work to enter the market.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #50
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybiker1 View Post
I’ve been considering buying a Airstream Interstate and possibly the new Atlas for a couple of years now. Unfortunately I think I’ve decided this is no longer a fun or smart purchase. After reading all of these posts I’m convinced I need to open a RV repair business in my town. I could probably make a good living out of repairing RVs.
Hi Crazybiker1,

If you have any specific questions about the Interstate, please do not hesitate to reach out. We would be happy to assist! Thank you.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I had to have on site repair at a camp ground. Turned out to be minor, but minimum charge so the guy stayed and talked with me a while. They have family owned business, mobile and local RV repair in west virginia....they do very well! I had to give them CC number for payment before he was dispatched. They close for family vacations, but generally available for holidays because a lot of people get out the camper on holidays.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:22 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I had to have on site repair at a camp ground. Turned out to be minor, but minimum charge so the guy stayed and talked with me a while. They have family owned business, mobile and local RV repair in west virginia....they do very well! I had to give them CC number for payment before he was dispatched. They close for family vacations, but generally available for holidays because a lot of people get out the camper on holidays.
MANSDERM161 - were you reimbursed by AS since your unit still under warranty? Just curious how AS handles stuff like this where someone was forced to get help other than dealer.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
No, I was heading to JC with plans to camp 1/2 way in W. VA. SOMETHING in the road knocked my macerator loose and it was dragging. I had no tools to remove it, but it was obviously damaged. The mobile unit came out and since I was heading to JC, I just said get it off, make sure nothing leaking from black tank, and I'll take care of it. JC replaced it, repaired bracket and the hook up area under warranty. As you know, clearance under there is minimal and even less so at a gravel campground. I did not see or hear anything that could have hit it. I didn't even hear it dragging. A fellow camper did. JC thought a rubber strip from a blown tire, but I watch for that . Whatever it was was quite an impact knocking it out of bracket. Now I constantly check under there before and after each trip.
Closed Thread