Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineolated View Post
Why the vinyl tubing?

Because I used the Airstream adapter to go from 3.5” OD pipe to 3” OD diameter of macerated pump input. Airstream used a piece of flex hose in that location. But since I added the flex Tee fitting all I needed was a small pice of 3” hose to make last connection. Found it at auto part store sold as connector for custom engine intakes.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Because I used the Airstream adapter to go from 3.5” OD pipe to 3” OD diameter of macerated pump input. Airstream used a piece of flex hose in that location. But since I added the flex Tee fitting all I needed was a small pice of 3” hose to make last connection. Found it at auto part store sold as connector for custom engine intakes.

Thanks for the explanation!
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:27 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:

Thanks a bunch for the pics and the adapter, I reached same conclusion that a rubber T would work but could not find anything to mate it to the 3” pump end. Looking good AND peace of mind!
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
discharge upgrade

Boxster- You and gmillerok1 did the modification to add the manual discharge to our macerator system. It sounds like neither one of you had to cutoff any part of the PVC.

I went to do the same mod using the PQT-300 flex-t as gmillerok1 did. When I insert the AS reducer into the PQT and the other end of the PQT over the PVC, the reducer overlaps the macerator inlet by about an 1 3/4". To get any room for a connector pipe/hose I would have to trim off about 2-3" of the PVC which I am hesitant to do. From the face of the PVC to the face of the macerator inlet is 9 3/4 inches. Excluding the connector ends, the flex t is 7 3/4" long so that only leaves 2 inches for the reducer and the hose connector. The AS reducer is 3 3/4 long.

Since you and I both have 2013's, I am surprised it doesn't fit. I checked plumbing supply houses and it sounds like the flex-t only comes in one length.

I suppose there is a chance my AS reducer is longer, or the PVC is longer, but by the pictures they appear the same.

I am grasping at straws, and it has been awhile since you did the mod, but I was hoping you might have some idea of the difference.

Thanks,

Tim
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
Boxster- You and gmillerok1 did the modification to add the manual discharge to our macerator system. It sounds like neither one of you had to cutoff any part of the PVC.

I went to do the same mod using the PQT-300 flex-t as gmillerok1 did. When I insert the AS reducer into the PQT and the other end of the PQT over the PVC, the reducer overlaps the macerator inlet by about an 1 3/4". To get any room for a connector pipe/hose I would have to trim off about 2-3" of the PVC which I am hesitant to do. From the face of the PVC to the face of the macerator inlet is 9 3/4 inches. Excluding the connector ends, the flex t is 7 3/4" long so that only leaves 2 inches for the reducer and the hose connector. The AS reducer is 3 3/4 long.

Since you and I both have 2013's, I am surprised it doesn't fit. I checked plumbing supply houses and it sounds like the flex-t only comes in one length.

I suppose there is a chance my AS reducer is longer, or the PVC is longer, but by the pictures they appear the same.

I am grasping at straws, and it has been awhile since you did the mod, but I was hoping you might have some idea of the difference.

Thanks,

Tim
I did this a while ago - but recall I did have to cut the black 3" PVC pipe to get the Flex-T installed. The main problem was adapting the 3" PVC to the macerator. I ended up using a large vinyl tube fitting designed for an engine intake line from an auto parts shop.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
I did this a while ago - but recall I did have to cut the black 3" PVC pipe to get the Flex-T installed. The main problem was adapting the 3" PVC to the macerator. I ended up using a large vinyl tube fitting designed for an engine intake line from an auto parts shop.
MIKE - Nice work, I never seen it before, the thread was before I joined. I like to do this mod some day if I get needed special parts
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:48 PM   #27
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MIKE - Nice work, I never seen it before, the thread was before I joined. I like to do this mod some day if I get needed special parts
Same here!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Passin Thru View Post

Thanks,

Tim

As the guy who thought of this, the 2013 modification should be no different from the 2011 model I did the modification on. You basically just take the green 3 to 3.5" AS hand made and rather crude adapter on the end toward the tanks, to the end facing the macerator. It should fit without any cutting (I did not want to do anything that would not allow me to put it back the way it was in case it didn't work out).

Can you post some pictures of your modification? Maybe you left something on that I took off. With that being said, and with the AS builders not necessarily being consistent from one unit to the next, maybe we can figure out what your problem may be.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post

Thanks,

Tim

I just remembered I didn't use the flexible hose that AS used on that adapter to the tank. Go back to my original post to see the picture and you can see the green striped hose next to the macerator. Originally, the adapter went into a cheap PVC flexible hose if I recall on the opposite side and that into the rigid black PVC pipe to the tank. I removed that flexible hose, and then I bought a short length of Kanaflex 300 from a local hose supplier in the correct size and cut it to length. I then installed the adapter into the other end of the flex-t and the adapter into the Kanaflex, and then the Kanaflex into the macerator. I think I still have some left if you want me to send you some-let me know.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:18 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
I can’t post pictures since I only dry fitted it to test if it would work. I am waiting for a new macerator to finish the project (like many I found a broken bolt - decided to go new instead of doing a rebuild). However I definitely wasn’t leaving anything in. With just the flex t and the AS adapter coming from the rigid PVC it was overlapping the macerator.

Thanks for the offer on the hose. I will just get a piece of intake hose locally.

By the replies to my question it does sound like others had to cut the PVC. Maybe the later years were different.

BTW - I did know that you had done this mod first but I had addressed my question to Boxster since it has the same year coach as I do.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Our Macerator failed day 2 of our Michigan Trip last week. Because of a mishap with the stub of the sink faucet opening the valve, we had a full grey tank and a small flooding issue (similar to what I’ve read others experience). What a pain. We resorted to public bathrooms and campground shower houses the entire trip. Other than this issue the trip was really great.

Back at home, I spent the last 3 nights getting the dead macerator off and a new one put on. After reviewing Advanced RVs YouTube videos on the topic, I decided to go with the portable version so down the road when I have to replace it again I can just swap it out fairly quickly. I did add the Fernco T with a gate valve and bayonet fitting for the bypass. The portable macerator also has the clean out garden hose adapter which I modified to reverse the flow so it can be a secondary grey water drain.

The grey mat under the macerator is anti fatigue mat material for vibration deadener and I strapped everything securely with large stainless hose clamps. I too had broken bolts where the orig macerator was attached. What a pain.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2408.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	346032Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2405.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	346033Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2403.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	346034
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
NATEALLEN80 - good choice. I think the portable init that can be easily disconnected and changed out is the best macerator solution.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Macerator leak

I just installed my new Macerator pump along with the fernco t conversion. Now the new macerator is dripping where the impeller housing fits to the motor housing. There is a drip hole in the housing which is dripping. I am hoping a seal seats after a little bit of use. I have a call into flojet to see if this normal on a new pump.

Btw - I had to cut off 2 inches of the rigid pvc.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:05 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
I went to the dump station to finally empty my tanks last night, and while the macerator turns on, nothing would pump out of the hose. I did not find any kinks in the hose. Its like it grinds, but the pump won't start. I didn't want to run it too long, so I did it in 10-15 second cycles, but nothing after several attempts. So frustrating. Any ideas?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #35
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I mentioned meeting a couple in a 2017 AI that they purchased new... and then proceeded to travel for 65,000 miles in less than two years... and have done nothing to their AI, nothing except changing tires early on before their trip to Alaska and only as additional insurance...

Humbled conversation for me since I have done so many changes to try to avoid issues...

Which brings me to this situation... this is one that I do not want to ever have to deal with during a trip... I can't be working on this crap while on a trip. I need to do as some have done and install an alternate way to dump the tanks if we ever have a malfunction of the macerator... because of our infrequent use of the AI I am pretty certain ours will fail due to long periods of lack of use...

On my list of mods with a bit higher priority than anything else there now... need to figure out what all the parts are for a 2018 AI and start planning the changes...

Sorry for the interruption, back to normal programming...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Update: after spending my 7th straight night under the rig troubleshooting, it appears the problem with mine isn’t in the wiring or anything else, it’s the oem hose connection from the pump and through the reel.

I believe other than the outlet connection being 3/4 male garden hose on the version I installed vs the 1” barbed connection on the permanent install version, I believe they are the same pump (obviously I could be wrong). When connected to the 1” hose that the old pump was connected to (that I don’t have experience with working but was told it did in the few times the prior owner dumped (reportedly only about 5 times), nothing was pumped through the hose. When I disconnected that and attached a garden hose, it pumped perfectly.

Now I know the pump isn’t bad, but have a new project to figure out - how to deal with the hose reel (remove it I suppose), or do something else to make a more direct path for discharging the waste so it doesn’t have to feed up through the reel... any ideas are welcome.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Update 2: I removed the stock hose from the pump to the reel assembly and from the inside of the reel assembly itself. I re-used one of the clamps that formerly clamped the hose into the reel assembly, but left only the back portion of the clamp screwed to the reel assembly. The clamp now acts as a "hook" to hook in the female end of a garden hose to the reel, which I use to reel up about 20' of garden hose into the reel for storage only.

I pull the entire length of garden hose out and screw it into the male threads of the pump (actually I have 2 angled elbow fittings so as to make the threads closer to the side of the AI. Once screwed on, I use as normal to dump the tanks, then unscrew the hose, hook it into the clamp (now hook), then reel it all up.

At the business end of the hose, I re-created the stock ball valve with elbow down into the dump pit.

While a pain in the A$% to figure out, I actually like the setup of this just fine and know it will be easier to maintain going forward. If my hose starts leaking, I'll just buy a new hose and I'm good to go. All is good in the world once again.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Are you sure the black and gray valves are opening? My gray valve motor died and the valve would not open until we removed motor and opened it manually. Usually when you open the valve, you will hear fluid flowing to the macerator. If you don't hear that, the valve may not be opening
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Are you sure the black and gray valves are opening? My gray valve motor died and the valve would not open until we removed motor and opened it manually. Usually when you open the valve, you will hear fluid flowing to the macerator. If you don't hear that, the valve may not be opening
Mansderm161 - Not sure if this was a question for me or not. Yes, my valves open and close fine. I was able to visually see the gate valve pins were extended and retracted after opening and closing them using the switches. My issue apparently was the amount of elevation change between the pump and the hose before it left the reel assembly.

I could have continued to try to see if I could find an obstruction in the hose, or try to make a straight as possible connection from the pump to the reel, but I figured I'd have to replace the 7 year old hose sooner rather than later anyway and I would have probably replaced it with the garden hose system I ended up with, especially after having replaced all that I did to make it simpler to replace parts as necessary.

I'm pretty happy as it is - the only additional step I have is to twist on the female garden hose end to the male threads coming off the discharge side of the pump, which takes all of 15 seconds. I now have just a bit more peace of mind having literally rebuilt everything from basically the gate valves outward.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:59 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateallen80 View Post
I could have continued to try to see if I could find an obstruction in the hose, or try to make a straight as possible connection from the pump to the reel, but I figured I'd have to replace the 7 year old hose sooner rather than later anyway and I would have probably replaced it with the garden hose system I ended up with, especially after having replaced all that I did to make it simpler to replace parts as necessary.

I'm pretty happy as it is - the only additional step I have is to twist on the female garden hose end to the male threads coming off the discharge side of the pump, which takes all of 15 seconds. I now have just a bit more peace of mind having literally rebuilt everything from basically the gate valves outward.
NATEALLEN80 - I like your approach to this repair. Of course, I won't do this until/unless it is necessary. But when the time comes (hoping at least to get the 7yrs. you got), I will probably do as you did. Bypassing that short section from macerator to hose reel input probably decreases a big potential problem area. And then using the hose reel just for storage also eliminates that as a potential problem. I am unsure how long a garden hose will hold up before it leaks at the connector ends. But then again, as you said, just buy a new one. I have my favorite rubber garden hoses used around the house that lasts forever & remain soft, pliable, kink free under extreme heat and freezing temps. I would love to use those. The only thing I would miss is the semi-transparent OEM hose. But that is easily fixed by fabricating my own clear pvc valve elbow instead of the OEM white. Thanks for this idea/option.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote