Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2016, 04:04 AM   #761
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
Wheelskin added to cover plastic steering wheel. ...
Yes!! This was one of the very first changes we made to our Interstate, and Wheelskin was the vendor we chose. Especially with the prevalence of silicone release agent in consumer products, that plastic steering wheel can become downright dangerous. Just yesterday I purchased a pair of boots used by women who work on lobster fishing boats (it's a brand not available in the U.S.). The release agent residue was so heavy that my Teva sandals got very slippery (I wore the same socks in each). I was glad I had the Wheelskin in place so the same would not become true of my steering wheel.

Instructions here for anyone who may wish to see the process. It's very simple to do, but patience is required to produce a professional-looking result.

LEATHER WRAPPING THE STEERING WHEEL OF AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:05 AM   #762
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
Subwoofer is the Memphis Audio SA110sp 10" powered "undersea" subwoofer. It's very compact, but yet uses a 10" driver. Sounds great, I had them install a gain switch so I can adjust on the fly.
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/produ...ges/15sa110sp/

Speakers are Focal, not sure the model. I think that any reputable 6.5" decent speaker will be a big upgrade from the "work truck standard" the MB puts in these things....
Thanks very much.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #763
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
mdf

Quote:
Wolf 38001405 Vinyl Gray PU Full-Size Floor Console
by Wolf
Link: https://amzn.com/B001P2G81C

I Installed this by using simple stick on velcro that sticks directly to the carpeted one piece floor mat. It worked very well all summer.
If you wouldn't mind, would you post a couple pictures on your console in place? I'd like to see how it fits.

Thanks

Haasman
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #764
3 Rivet Member

Auburn , Georgia
I put an LP switch on the inside for convenience. It is mounted in the window sill near the cook top. The bright pilot light is a good reminder to turn it off when finished. I have to stop reading all the posts on this forum or I'll never run out of projects on the Interstate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160903_113612.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	270765  
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #765
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
I put an LP switch on the inside for convenience. It is mounted in the window sill near the cook top. The bright pilot light is a good reminder to turn it off when finished. I have to stop reading all the posts on this forum or I'll never run out of projects on the Interstate
That's a clever place to put it! Thanks for posting.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #766
3 Rivet Member

Auburn , Georgia
For my next project I was thinking about "upgrading" the horn. This one might be a little louder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bicycle-Air-Horn-Bike-Cycling-Retro-Bell-Hooter-Alarm-Bugle-Rubber-Squeeze-Bulb.jpg_640x640.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	271333  
Old 09-09-2016, 07:23 PM   #767
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
For my next project I was thinking about "upgrading" the horn. This one might be a little louder.
Great idea. Here is my solution when I get around to it.

http://www.aerostich.com/chrome-ear-cannon-horn.html
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:32 AM   #768
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post

There's a separate thread on that topic. Not sure that I'd recommend it, as threads go (omitting story).

FWIW, here's our horn retrofit. I do have a very short YouTube posted in there of the result when someone put an air horn in their Sprinter. It's pretty funny.

REPLACING THE HORN ON AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Old 09-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #769
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:

The description at that link is a riot:

"This is a full-power railroad locomotive/ocean liner type compressed air horn squeezed into a bike-mountable package. Totally overkill, until you need to wake up some lethal driver. It’s got both the high and low ear-splitting tones of the individually sold Fiamm Freeway Blaster Horns, plus a little more oomph. The 139dB high and low tone blasters combine via air induction to cut through the din and make the most distracted of drivers drop their cell phones and pay attention. Installs easily on all bikes with a 4.5"×3"×4.5" space for mounting. The loudest motorcycle horn available. If Ethel Merman, Sam Kinison and John Philip Sousa ever had a band, and played through a wall-of-sound amp rack, it would sound like this."
Old 09-10-2016, 07:30 PM   #770
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I was toying with how to get a small security safe in the AS when I stumbled across Safe Stor some time ago.

https://sprinterstore.com/product/sa...oor-2007-2017/

So purchased it and did a little mode to keep the awning and light controls in the same space. I now need to figure out how to secure the top of the seat pedestal, but regardless this is a good compromise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2661.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	271402  
Old 09-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #771
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
The description at that link is a riot:
[/B]"
[/COLOR]
I have this Horn on my '97 NSX. It gets people's attention. The NSX is so low I was tired of people not seeing me. Needed a fix
Old 09-11-2016, 04:55 AM   #772
3 Rivet Member

Auburn , Georgia
Quote:
I was toying with how to get a small security safe in the AS when I stumbled across Safe Stor some time ago.

So purchased it and did a little mode to keep the awning and light controls in the same space. I now need to figure out how to secure the top of the seat pedestal, but regardless this is a good compromise.
Nice work on the door and switches !!
If you want to go a step further add a plug to cover the lock.
I think a couple of #8 screws should hold that seat in place, it's probably only your wife sitting there anyway.

I did replace the horn with one that is a little louder and not quite as tin can sounding.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160911_062209.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	271427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160911_062246.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	271428  

Old 09-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #773
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Next upgrade is to replace the OEM front door speakers. I'll decide after that if the three dash speakers have to go. Speakers are on order from Crutchfield. I'm so impressed with the instructions they e-mailed today, I thought I would share for other's benefit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crutchfield Sprinter Instructions.pdf (2.74 MB, 120 views)
Old 09-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #774
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
Next upgrade is to replace the OEM front door speakers. I'll decide after that if the three dash speakers have to go. Speakers are on order from Crutchfield. I'm so impressed with the instructions they e-mailed today, I thought I would share for other's benefit.
Many thanks for this, a good reason to order from Crutchfield. Would be very interested to hear your views on sound quality after the swap.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #775
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Those are most excellent instructions! Thanks for posting them as I plan to upgrade the speakers too in near future.

The only minor criticism I have is on the last page with using electrical tape to cover the solder joint. That's a bad idea as the tape will unwind with heat and expose the joint.

Which speakers did you order from Crutchfield?
Old 09-19-2016, 10:50 PM   #776
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pasadena , California
What Dash Speakers for Replacements?

Has anyone replaced the dash speakers? Crutchfield doesn't show any dash speaker replacements from them for this application. The Crutchfield installation manual posted above does mention them, but says we need to fabricate mounts for the center speaker and possibly the corner speakers.

If anyone has replaced these, what possible speakers have you looked into?
jsc168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #777
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:

Which speakers did you order from Crutchfield?
Agree on the electrical tape. Mine will be heat shrink.

Order adapters from Impact Products

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141887556531

To install Kenwood KFC-1695PS Door Speakers
Old 09-21-2016, 05:12 AM   #778
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc168 View Post
Has anyone replaced the dash speakers? Crutchfield doesn't show any dash speaker replacements from them for this application. The Crutchfield installation manual posted above does mention them, but says we need to fabricate mounts for the center speaker and possibly the corner speakers.

If anyone has replaced these, what possible speakers have you looked into?
FWIW, my husband and I replaced our dash speakers, but we went low-end, literally getting replacements at Walmart (because anything was better than what MB had installed). The T1N Interstate is so loud due to road noise that we logically concluded that a high-end sound system would be a waste of money - we'd never be able to hear it properly while in transit, so what's the point?

The NCV3s are reportedly a bit better where road noise transmission is concerned, but still, I've seen thread references to folks putting Dynamat in cab doors for noise reduction, so it seems that they are still pretty noisy. That being the case, is the improvement really worth it where higher-end speakers are concerned? I'm just curious as to peoples' impressions on the results.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #779
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Agree on the electrical tape. Mine will be heat shrink.

Order adapters from Impact Products

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141887556531

To install Kenwood KFC-1695PS Door Speakers
Thanks a bunch. Did some further research and realized that the OEM speakers are just 4 inches in diameter. Ordered a pair of JBLs for $50 from Amazon for now of that size.

The above adapter seems to fix the depth issue. Does the standard grill in the door panel then fit them or do you need to use their covers, surface mounted?

Thanks again,
Old 09-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #780
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Does the standard grill in the door panel then fit them or do you need to use their covers, surface mounted?
No probs. From GMillerok post below

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1822205

and the website, the OEM cover is supposed to work just fine. The adapters and Dynamat arrived today. Speakers should be here tomorrow so weekend project should be a go.