Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Generator / Inverter Issues

Ugh - got the propane issue fixed and now a new issue on the way up to see our daughter for Easter. We stopped at a rest area for a few minutes and we fired up the generator to pop a couple bags of popcorn. Upon doing so the TV cut off... why?? I know the management system will shed load eg shut down A/C to operate microwave, but the TV? First I would think TV would be an issue - should be plenty of juice to power a microwave and a TV. Second even after cooking was complete, the TV would not turn back on.

So, I shut down the generator and tried to turn the inverter back on... nothing. Just kept reading "searching". It was also showing 12 or 13 volts if I recall, but 0 amps (at least I assume that's what "0 A" means). Tried to shut off motor and battery disconnect and restart. Still nothing, and now next day the inverter still isn't operating, which is not popular with 3 teenagers in the back unable to watch tv or charge any devices during 10 hour drive.

What gives? Does anyone know if it's normal for TV to shut off when operating microwave or AC on generator power? If so, that's ridiculous. And how do I get the inverter to work again?

Very frustrating to buy a brand new 2017 motorhome and have a problem every time we use it...
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Did you check all breakers and fuses? Also try the reset switch on the top of the inverter (little red button if I remember correctly).
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
Ugh - got the propane issue fixed and now a new issue on the way up to see our daughter for Easter. We stopped at a rest area for a few minutes and we fired up the generator to pop a couple bags of popcorn. Upon doing so the TV cut off... why?? I know the management system will shed load eg shut down A/C to operate microwave, but the TV? First I would think TV would be an issue - should be plenty of juice to power a microwave and a TV. Second even after cooking was complete, the TV would not turn back on.

So, I shut down the generator and tried to turn the inverter back on... nothing. Just kept reading "searching". It was also showing 12 or 13 volts if I recall, but 0 amps (at least I assume that's what "0 A" means). Tried to shut off motor and battery disconnect and restart. Still nothing, and now next day the inverter still isn't operating, which is not popular with 3 teenagers in the back unable to watch tv or charge any devices during 10 hour drive.

What gives? Does anyone know if it's normal for TV to shut off when operating microwave or AC on generator power? If so, that's ridiculous. And how do I get the inverter to work again?

Very frustrating to buy a brand new 2017 motorhome and have a problem every time we use it...
Your Magnum MMS-1012 inverter/charger has both input (15 amps) and output (10 amp) circuit breakers located directly on the unit. If you lift the driver side jack-knife jump seat, you will see the top of the inverter and there will be 2 rocker-type breakers. Check both for proper settings, along with the input breaker which should be located on your 120VAC panel board.

The re-set 'button' for the Magnum is actually a green button located on the face that has the main DC connections and is located directly above the phone jack comm. cable inputs. Press and hold until the green led flickers, count to 10 and then release. This will perform a 'soft' re-set.

If you need a 'hard' re-set, then all of the power, both AC and DC, as well as the comm. cables should be removed for 15 minutes before re-connection and start-up. If a fault is still present, the unit should be referred to a Magnum factory authorized repair facility.

PM me if you need any specific guidance.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Thanks lewster.

Well I opened the breaker panel and flipped all of the breakers off and then back on. The left most breaker switch will not stay on - it returns to the off position. However the inverter works now. In fact I don't notice anything not working. The fridge, eg, is on (at least the light comes on when I open the door) even though it would appear from the label that the left most breaker switch is tied to the fridge. I assume this switch should stay on however- did I blow something?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0759.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	571.1 KB
ID:	283425
Old 04-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The first breaker is a GFCI type breaker. If it won't re-set, it usually means that you have a neutral to ground 'leak' somewhere that will not allow the re-set. The flip side is that you have a bad GFCI breaker. Chances are 50-50 either way.

Probably good to find a VERY competent tech with a good deal of electrical knowledge to trouble shoot that issue.

The GFCI outlet usually controls outside 120VAC outlets and this near water or moisture.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Remember that there is a learning curve here.

If you have not read your owners manual thoroughly, you should do that.

We had little stick-on flags at sections in ours that we had to refer to regularly the first year or so.

Good luck.

Maggie
Old 04-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
The first breaker is a GFCI type breaker. If it won't re-set, it usually means that you have a neutral to ground 'leak' somewhere that will not allow the re-set. The flip side is that you have a bad GFCI breaker. Chances are 50-50 either way.

Probably good to find a VERY competent tech with a good deal of electrical knowledge to trouble shoot that issue.

The GFCI outlet usually controls outside 120VAC outlets and this near water or moisture.
Lew will this breaker trip if the GFCI receptacle has tripped? If so, maybe the OP can try resetting the GFCI at the receptacle (it's the dual outlet behind the driver's seat) and then try resetting that breaker. I had a problem where my TV's wouldn't work and it turned out that for some unexplained reason my GFCI receptacle had flipped. Note to self: check the breaker next time I'm at the rig.....
Old 04-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Lew will this breaker trip if the GFCI receptacle has tripped? If so, maybe the OP can try resetting the GFCI at the receptacle (it's the dual outlet behind the driver's seat) and then try resetting that breaker. I had a problem where my TV's wouldn't work and it turned out that for some unexplained reason my GFCI receptacle had flipped. Note to self: check the breaker next time I'm at the rig.....
Ahhhhh.........forgot about that one! if it is on the GFCI breaker circuit and the outlet GFCI is tripped, the breaker might not re-set.

OTOH, the ultimate questions is WHY there is a second GFCI in a circuit that is full protected by a GFCI breaker?????? Redundancy here is perhaps not necessary and more of a PIA than it's worth.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #9
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Thanks all. I will check in the morning and report back!

But to the first question- is it normal for the power management system to shut off a TV when running microwave or A/C?
Old 04-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
OTOH, the ultimate questions is WHY there is a second GFCI in a circuit that is full protected by a GFCI breaker?????? Redundancy here is perhaps not necessary and more of a PIA than it's worth.
Totally agree. I didn't know the breaker ALSO had a reset button until I took a look at the OP's pic that he posted up, so I'll check mine tomorrow to see if it's off. I haven't run the fridge since the TV's went out......

@SWH - normally no, the TV's shouldn't cut out when the microwave is turned on. What I think happened is for some reason your GFCI tripped, which WILL take out the TV's. Maybe the microwave sent a spike through your system and popped the GFCI??? All manner of weird sh*t happens when a transient goes through an electrical system. Was anything else on at the time? You said you stopped at a rest stop and fired up the genny. Maybe the Magnum started dumping charge into the house batts? That can suck down 15A and together with the microwave may have pulled your system down faster than the EMS could respond and weirdness ensued.....
Old 04-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Two GFCI breakers in series won't work which I found out when I bought a house and couldn't get one in the guest bath to reset. Discovered that some DIY electrician had replaced a standard outlet w/ a GFCI one and the circuit was downstream from the GFCI outlet in the upstairs hall bath.

Didn't check the NEC but suspect it's not even legal.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Two GFCI breakers in series won't work which I found out when I bought a house and couldn't get one in the guest bath to reset. Discovered that some DIY electrician had replaced a standard outlet w/ a GFCI one and the circuit was downstream from the GFCI outlet in the upstairs hall bath.

Didn't check the NEC but suspect it's not even legal.
Then the OP still has something wrong with whatever is on the breaker GFCI, but with the GFCI behind the driver's seat reset, his TV's should work.

@SWH - It's easy to tell if the fridge is working by reaching inside and turning the temp down a bit and see if the compressor kicks on.

Taking a quick look at the 2017 Owner's Manual (if you don't have it with you but have internet access, you can download it here: https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf, I keep a copy on my phone and my tablet so I always have it available), it appears the LP Detector and rear USB charge ports are on the same circuit as the fridge, so with that breaker off those items are also not working.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Then the OP still has something wrong with whatever is on the breaker GFCI, but with the GFCI behind the driver's seat reset, his TV's should work.

@SWH - It's easy to tell if the fridge is working by reaching inside and turning the temp down a bit and see if the compressor kicks on.

Taking a quick look at the 2017 Owner's Manual (if you don't have it with you but have internet access, you can download it here: https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf, I keep a copy on my phone and my tablet so I always have it available), it appears the LP Detector and rear USB charge ports are on the same circuit as the fridge, so with that breaker off those items are also not working.
Just took a quick look at the manual that you linked to.

Seems that Airstream is STILL publishing mis-information. Two areas that got my attention was the listing for a SINGLE Lifeline GPL-24T house battery (you should have TWO) and their battery state of charge chart. It shows specific gravity readings (don't know how Airstream would manage to get those with a fully sealed AGM battery with no asset and NO FREE BATTERY ACID) and a 50% depth of discharge of 12.41VDC when it is 12.2VDC (pre Lifeline's tech manual)

I wonder what else is not correct in that Interstate manual??
Old 04-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Just took a quick look at the manual that you linked to.

Seems that Airstream is STILL publishing mis-information. Two areas that got my attention was the listing for a SINGLE Lifeline GPL-24T house battery (you should have TWO)

I wonder what else is not correct in that Interstate manual??
In their defense the schematic on 9-17 does show 2 coach batteries, so they have it right in at least one place......

Looking at this further, and to Lew's point, it appears to me that the labeling on the breaker panel DOES NOT match the schematic on page 9-25. In the manual, the refrig seems to be on Breaker 2, not Breaker 6 (i.e. the GFCI protected breaker). So if the OP has a functioning refrig but Breaker 6 is off, this would confirm that. According to the schematic, Breaker 6 controls the galley overhead receptacle (i.e. coffee maker), the curb side exterior receptacle, and something called the C.S. Rear Receptacle. Ignoring that last one for a sec, could you have water in the exterior receptacle? That would certainly trip that breaker. Does anyone know what the C.S. Rear Receptacle is???

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. C.S. Rear Recept is for the rear TV!!! So this is why the OP's rear TV isn't working.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:47 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Full time rving , USA
Inverter issue

This may be addressed somewhere in here, but I have not seen it. Where is the inverter for the 2018 classic 33 located and how do I get to it?
Tried to turn it on yesterday after leaving JC post maintenance, no power from inverter. Firefly panel illuminated the inverter icon when pushed. Can we get access to maintenance troubleshooting procedures that technicians use?
Barry
BarryLCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
mooresville , North Carolina
reading your comments on previous post about generator and inverter resets, hope you can help a newbie. Have a 2012 Interstate, generator and a/c run but compressor doesnt come on. Had problem before and service provide stated 'breaker tripped on genset, reset breaker on genset and reset inverter. Can you advise where we find those resets? Many thanks
DogMobile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
The breaker for the generator is underneath on the generator. You open the little door and on the left hand lower corner you the the breaker.
You properly have the TripLite inverter/charger which is only a single state charger had has issues to charge the batteries you also Connor leave the ASI just connected as it will cook the batteries.
About you a/c compressor, the generator generate just enough power to run the a/c if you have anything else on it will be not enough. To over come this most people install a Micro Easy Start on the a/c.
Hope that helps
Peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Englewood , Colorado
Shore Load - 30A vs 50A. Question

We are booking RV sights and they offer a 50A and a 30A site left. The 50Ais a nicer site. We have a 2017 InterState that is 30A

Question: Can a 50A input still be used and the RV would only use up 30A with no worries or do we have to make sure to hook up only 30A park sites?
Many Thanks
Jpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierce View Post
We are booking RV sights and they offer a 50A and a 30A site left. The 50Ais a nicer site. We have a 2017 InterState that is 30A

Question: Can a 50A input still be used and the RV would only use up 30A with no worries or do we have to make sure to hook up only 30A park sites?
Many Thanks
You can use the 50A site, but will need a power cord adapter to plug your 30A cord into a 50A outlet. Your Interstate has enough protection built in that you won't draw more than 30A.

Something like this ...

https://www.amazon.com/LeisureCords-.../dp/B075RMXXF1
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #20
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
You can use the 50A site, but will need a power cord adapter to plug your 30A cord into a 50A outlet.
https://www.amazon.com/LeisureCords-.../dp/B075RMXXF1
Everyone should carry that adapter, regardless of whether you will ever find a rare park where only 50A is available. Over 25 years, it has happened to me just once in Colorado Springs. The park website specified 50A only. I always carry both a 50->30A adapter and a 20->30 amp adapter as standard equipment.

OTOH, there are several good reasons to plug a 30A rig into the 50A service. For one thing, you will never blow the breaker on the post. The breaker inside will always blow first. Nice to know in the middle of winter or high summer. For another thing, the 30A outlet on the post is often worn and sloppy. A poor connection can destroy your cable end and be hard on your AC. The 50A outlet is deeper and much more secure and I have never encountered a worn 50A outlet in my travels. Third, on my last trip, I found a 30A breaker on the post that would not reset. Rather than having to move to a different site, I simply used my 50A adapter and stayed right there.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote