Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2017, 06:26 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I entered my VIN and got two recalls. But they were identical recalls dealing with the airbag issue. Same exact text and same NHTSA number. I was a bit puzzled as to why it said '2'. I am now even more puzzled since you inquiry yielded '1'.

Also, I wonder what makes a recall 'complete'. Not everybody has the work done - even if/when parts are available.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
If you have serious concerns about the Takata airbag and have not received satisfaction from M/B or any other vehicle manufacturer for other vehicles affected by similar recall and want to expedite the repair I have a suggestion. Explain to the M/B airbag hotline that you went to trade your vehicle in at another dealer, Ford, Chevy, who ever ( just not Mercedes) and you were told they could not do anything for you as long as there is an open recall on the vehicle. They may come back and say that here is nothing they can do but they can. This is the procedure I utilized to get my 2009 X5 airbags replaced. I had been waiting for 3 years and 3 notifications from BMW with no reconciliation in sight. 3 weeks later parts became available and the airbags got replaced. I just insisted that I needed to trade the vehicle in at the Toyota dealer. BMW called me back and I was scheduled, with a loaner vehicle, for the replacement procedure. I understand that it is stretching the truth a bit but it is better than a potential blood-letting by a malfunctioning faulty airbag.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #63
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Also, I wonder what makes a recall 'complete'. Not everybody has the work done - even if/when parts are available.
If you never have the work done, the recall is never complete, for your own vehicle or for the recall worldwide.

But as far as the VIN-specific recall notices, they list it as complete as soon as the dealer performs the work and logs it with the NHTSA.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I finally got the airbag recall done on my SAAB- I got it initillay well over a year ago (heck, maybe longer that that) but they didn’t have the parts.
This one said the local Cadillac dealer could do it (but they never would call me back) so I went to an original dealer. They ordered the parts, had them in a week or so and (once I got to the place, couple hours away) didn’t take long to replace.

With the potential of having a bad one, it is too bad it has taken so long to get parts for these recalls. I can understand why it can take awhile, but certianly seems excessively long to me.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
With the potential of having a bad one, it is too bad it has taken so long to get parts for these recalls. I can understand why it can take awhile, but certianly seems excessively long to me.

Mark
This Takata airbag recall has basically required the world-wide airbag supply chain to double their output. Build millions for the recall while supplying the millions for world-wide production of new vehicles.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you never have the work done, the recall is never complete, for your own vehicle or for the recall worldwide.

But as far as the VIN-specific recall notices, they list it as complete as soon as the dealer performs the work and logs it with the NHTSA.
Sort of....the manufacturer is responsible for closure. The "closed" status is triggered by payment to the dealer by manufacturer. The records are transmitted to NHTSA monthly, or as requested for documentation purposes, but they don't close it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:50 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Takata filed a bankruptcy, and I received a “class action” letter that after some day in December nobody would get any airbag replacement.
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:11 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Takata filed a bankruptcy, and I received a “class action” letter that after some day in December nobody would get any airbag replacement.

Don't believe everything in a letter trying to get you to join a class action suit.

http://www.searchautoparts.com/after...-assets-takata
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Antrim , New Hampshire
For those who have NOT yet replaced their TAKATA AIRBAG you might take this just released announcement from Ford to heart:

Ford urges 2,900 pickup owners to stop driving after new Takata death
Ford said it confirmed a second death in an older pickup truck caused by a defective Takata airbag inflator and urged 2,900 owners in North America to stop driving immediately.
felixkagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Still waiting....

I am still waiting for my parts to be delivered to the dealer.
It has been 2 months since I received notification that the parts were available...and the dealer "placed the order". No feedback and 2 months later, I contacted them, last week, to see what status was...was told they were "backordered" and a new order was being placed. (Not sure how that would help if they were backordered/)
I decided to call the customer service number on my notification letter today. Very nice lady ("Faith") called the dealer and got me on the line too. Parts guy said "It usually takes about a week to get the parts"...when he started to process he saw the order for my parts..still HAD NOT BEEN ACTED ON!!!! Glad he said that with the customer service rep on the line!!!
Might actually see some results this time......
Old 01-12-2018, 04:15 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Have doubts about replacing airbags by this recall, because there are millions of different cars brands and models are infected but Takata filed a bankruptcy.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:39 AM   #72
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Have doubts about replacing airbags by this recall, because there are millions of different cars brands and models are infected but Takata filed a bankruptcy.
Each company is responsible for providing replacement. I just went through this with my X5. Do not delay and have the work done.

Quote:
How will Takata’s bankruptcy affect the recalls?

They will continue. In the U.S., rival airbag makers are supplying more than 70 percent of the replacement inflators used in the recalls. Recalls in Japan are more than 70 percent complete. There’s a risk that supplies coming from Takata could be interrupted if the proceeds from a sale of Takata’s desirable assets fail to cover its recall costs down the road. If that happens, automakers may have to pay to keep Takata’s assembly lines going.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:09 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Got a phone call from parts dept.....per Parts Mgr. The parts are being shipped “Overnight” to dealer. Should be at dealer Monday! Guess I pushed the correct button this time.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I got the one in my SAAB replaced a month or so ago.
Glad to finally have gotten the part and time to go do it.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #75
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I received my recall letter today (Saturday 1/20). Too late to do anything about it prior to my 1120-mile caravan coming up in just over a week.

I'll call Mercedes Monday in the hopes of them getting the parts while I am on my trip and then make an appointment when I return.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I spoke too soon about pushing the correct button......parts were on “Emergency” delivery from the west coast. Supposed to call as soon as they arrived...expected on Jan 15th. No call all week, so I called yesterday. “They are on backorder”. Unknown when they will be available. So much for Mercedes telling they were “AVAILABLE”! @&#$*%!!!
Old 01-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Pretty amazing they fine VW billions for vehicles that smoke a little but these exploding airbags are just OK to drive around with lol.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #78

2012 Interstate Coach
I just got a letter today about my passenger-side airbag recall on my Sprinter. Which is odd because they've already replaced it once, months ago. I'll call my dealer Monday to find out what's up with that.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:33 PM   #79
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
I though the recall is only for the driver side which is in the steering wheel, no ?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:06 AM   #80

2012 Interstate Coach
Separate recalls for both sides.