Old 03-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
We've handled this several different ways. At JC and at a dealer we left our Excursion hitched to the trailer and they moved it around as they needed to. At another dealer we parked the trailer in the bay where it stayed until the work was done. At an independent service technician's facility we placed it where he wanted and returned when it was ready to take away. Finally, one place said "if you can move it we can move it" and they did. Didn't stay to watch but the work got done and no damage was done to our trailer.

WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Both you and the service folks being reasonable. That's all that is needed to get along well!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #31
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
JC had not a single issue with my 28' 2012 Intl CCD when I had the service center install a 2d A/C a couple of years ago. They clearly knew what my ProPride was and "tractored" into a service bay with zero issues. My local dealer INSTALLED the PP on my '12 and on my '15 Classic. Obviously, they know how to work with it...key is to leave the stinger in place. Your dealer needs to put the word "service" next to the word "customer" -- because it sure looks like they aren't connected.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:53 PM   #32
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Buy a replacement Stinger.
Weld a tow ball on the end that usually goes into the TV.
Deliver your AS to dealer and leave the "maintenance stinger" in the ProPride.
Keep the stinger for your future "dealer" visits...

Ask Sean to sell you a stinger. Buy a ball and get a machine shop to weld it on the stinger.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:27 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
"You may not like what I have to say, but it is the truth"

Hi, This is just one more thing, or inconvenience, that you people who choose to use this type hitch will have to deal with that over 98% of the rest of us won't.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:45 PM   #34
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, This is just one more thing, or inconvenience, that you people who choose to use this type hitch will have to deal with that over 98% of the rest of us won't.
Agreed, I am not as good a driver and the PP helps me look like better.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:43 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
My life is full of minor inconveniences that I don't sweat. Safety, and the feeling of security that I realize with the pro-pride makes every minor inconvience a non- issue. Our pro-pride has gotten us safely across the country twice, with a few hairy situations it handled beautifully. A good dealer will help you find the best solution for parking your unit with the PP attached.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
I have towed over the last 25 years and used all of the top brands to include the last Reese Dual Cam. I would never go back to a 98% hitch type again. Once you use a ProPride or Hensley you will quickly realize the cost and hassle is well worth it.

I am looking into making a sleeve with tongue that will slide over the locked in place stinger shank.

I do think the Dealer should be more accommodating but they are just more and more adverse to any additional risk. In part I think this is due to being able to use less experienced "cheaper" labor or they do not want to invest in training their staff.

They now go to the trouble of taking pictures all the way around the trailer when I drop it off. This I don't mind as it protects me but it shows you how paranoid they are about things.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
As far as trailer repair using skid steer w/ball in bucket they are el cheepo as quiktach plate w/receiver is around $100.00 to $125.00 for skid steer. The plates fit all skid steers w/quicktach arms or new models that have push button instead of arms, still same plate set up. If they are to cheep to set one up I would look for another repair shop.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Good point! If try are too cheap to move trailers right, what else are they cheaping out?

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Addendum to my prev. if using tractor with 3 point bar w/ball to move trailers they can also turn bar over then weld receiver box on bar so can move either way. When I made mine for skid steer. I used old receiver box welded on plate.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Please explain this to me!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
I have towed over the last 25 years and used all of the top brands to include the last Reese Dual Cam. I would never go back to a 98% hitch type again. Once you use a ProPride or Hensley you will quickly realize the cost and hassle is well worth it.

Hi, I have had the same hitch, trailer, and tow vehicle for over ten years. I have towed many tens of thousands of miles. Over 10,000 miles on my Alaska trip alone. I have towed in strong winds, in high Colorado mountains, in snow, on ice, on gravel, as low as zero degrees, and at well over 100 degrees. I have towed in 14 Western States and 3 Western Provinces. In all of this time, "My trailer has, only once, swayed violently out of control. This was with my trailer parked in my driveway during a 5.0 Earthquake." Now try to convince me that changing to a 2% hitch is make me feel soooooo much better about towing my Airstream. Please explain to me why so many 2%'ers say they feel so much better now, than before, especially if they never had any ill effects with their previous hitches.
Some people feel great because they got a Flue shot and didn't get sick with the Flue; And some people who never got the Flue shot, and didn't get sick either, should not feel as good????? I have incandescent, fluorescent, and LED lights in my house. They all do the same thing. I don't have a problem with any of them. Will the more expensive lights make me feel better? Bottom line is that I just don't get it! All of the 2%'ers claim "What a difference, but you wouldn't know until you try one." I don't have any pain, but if I take an Aspirin, I will feel better.

Now do you 2%'ers get the point?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I like that, I'm a 2% er.

But to respond to the OP, I have never had a problem with the repair shop(s) that I have use for past 14 years with my 2% er hitch. I leave the stinger and they move the trailer when needed. No problems no damage.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
It's that 2% statistic that is the core of the problem - and my bet would be that the real figure is a heck of a lot smaller than 2% .....

.... meaning .....

..... if anyone on the service staff of a dealership have never seen a Hensley or a ProPride (a very real possibility in smaller, more rural areas) then there is a high probability that they are gonna have a problem moving the trailer around - but if they are familiar with these hitches - then no big deal .....

.... and just to wade in on the side discussion - the real strength of both Hensley and ProPride hitches - i.e. where they shine their brightest - is when marrying a marginal tow vehicle to a trailer that weighs as much or more than it does - mine would be one example - short wheelbase and high centre of gravity SUV - I can guarantee there was a heck of a difference in towing comfort when I bit the bullet and bought the Hensley - I praise the guy who designed the Hensley multiple times every year .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote