Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Bates Airstream "Art" told to move

I haven't seen this posted yet, came in the overnight email.

Airstream Ranch told to dismantle » RV News Service
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Thanks for posting, would have missed it otherwise!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I saw the news report on a local tv station last ight and started laughing. We have driven by the "ranch" several times and I really didn't think it was that bad. Frank pulled the old airstreams out of the junk yard and "planted" them.. So far no newer ones have grown from the "seeds". Still waiting for them.

I thought it was okay, and from what I can see, there are no neighbors that close. According to the local news, he offered to erect walls and plant trees to hide it from view, but the local yokels didn't like that idea either.

You could say it was a unique ploy because he is getting a lot of press and advertising from it. Regardless of what happens, no airstream was damaged in the planting of the ranch.

Marie
Old 03-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
From the pictures I did not find the 'art' that attractive. They did not even leave the wheels on as did the Cadillacs in Texas. 'The' Art wasn't beholding in my eyes.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac
I saw the news report on a local tv station last ight and started laughing. We have driven by the "ranch" several times and I really didn't think it was that bad. Frank pulled the old airstreams out of the junk yard and "planted" them.. So far no newer ones have grown from the "seeds". Still waiting for them.

I thought it was okay, and from what I can see, there are no neighbors that close. According to the local news, he offered to erect walls and plant trees to hide it from view, but the local yokels didn't like that idea either.

You could say it was a unique ploy because he is getting a lot of press and advertising from it. Regardless of what happens, no airstream was damaged in the planting of the ranch.

Marie
Well I have to agree with the residents in that area... We lived next to Bates Rv .. in a RV park and there are other people that live close... a new subdivision that is in a short distance away....Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
I liked it!

It's a shame in our "Free" society, that Frank has to dismantle what he did. I particularly liked it. Here is our 1954 Safari with the Ranch in the background a few weeks ago. I wonder what he's gonna do with them now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0221080805a (Medium).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	56270  
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Dead Airstream Art- -Sacred or profane

Is this exhibit another example of the dichotomy between the sacred and the profane?
Don’t we have a right to express ourselves freely in our pursuit of happiness?
What good is art if we can’t shock people every now and then with something different?

Some think their vintage Airstream is sacred relic with a rich history that should be preserved and respected.
Or is this public manifestation, a desecration and an insult to Wally Byam- -the creator?

Still others have no respect of old aluminum and want it recycled into beer cans.
Not a bad idea though, when my time comes I’ll be an organ donor for recycling.
Not now but after I’m gone way down the road. I mean up, way up on the high road. Yea thats it, I'm going up.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Nobody says you have to LIKE the art to make it art! I've seen lots of "standard" art that I didn't care for but it still hangs in galleries and museums. In this case, it IS an installation that businesses and very wealthy individuals pay handsomely for. I don't think anyone has the right to tell an individual that his art must go - afterall, art is in the eye of the beholder. Shame on the county for over reacting.
Prodigy Brake Controls
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt"
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
If Bates isn't breaking any laws, then he has a right to display his art.

An accomplished artist friend of mine once told me, "Good artwork doesn't answer all the questions. It makes you ask them." I'm not sure if Bates original intent was to produce a true work of art, but I have a question. Would there be a front window frame that could fit my 1960 Tradewind buried under there somewhere?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Only dirt and two trees!

Hi, in the picture, I only saw two trees and a lot of dirt; Leave it alone, it's not hurting anything.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Would there be a front window frame that could fit my 1960 Tradewind buried under there somewhere?
Maybe the little guy's rear window will fit, if it's intact. The front windows were removed before planting.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
In America We have freedom of exspression till someone doen't like our exspression and that happens often.

Personnally I think its a waist of time and old Airstreams to stick em in the ground. NOT my idea of ART. It is more like a gimmic for attention. You think someone would put forth their time an effort to a more constructive and productive end. That goes for the Cadillac Ranch too. What a waist of energy and vintage aluminum.

I many not agree with what you say but I will defend you'r right to say it...or make it into "ART".
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
pilgrim & Sugarfoot -- We've had a recent thread that linked to an article saying there were code & permit issues -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224...mpa-39215.html.

DFord79 -- This issue has received much discussion before. There is no question that the units buried were beyond restoration.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It always bothers me to see any piece of equipment scrapped, especially the stuff that could be made useful again. Knowing Frank, he pulled anything of use off the trailers before planting them, so he could "recon" the trailers that are more sellable. The parts off the trailers in the "ranch" probably enhanced the sellability and usefullness of several he had, or will be trying to sell in the future.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:52 AM   #15

2008 19' Bambi
Tampa , Florida
Airstream Ranch is Still Standing!

Drove by Bates RV on I-4 just outside of Tampa, Florida and was happy to see that the famous (some would say infamous) Airstream Ranch is still standing. For those unaware, there are 8 beautiful, vantage Airstream RVs standing on end and pointing into the the sky. It makes a great statement about the durability and beauty of Airstream's line.

Check it out the next time you are on I-4 in a small town called Dover, Florida. It's worth slowing down and getting a couple great pictures.
FLAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I have a rather big hillside on the back of my property that he can bury the Airstreams in.....it would add more interest than the weeds that are there now.