Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Shocks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2007, 09:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We had to replace the torsion axel on our '65 Caravel. The old axel had shock mounts. The new axel did not have shock mounts. I was told by the axel company, Hayes Axels in Ontario, CA, that their torsion axels are used on all types of trailers, horse trailers, car haulers and others. They said that Airstream is the only one who adds shock mounts to torsion axels. Others don't bother. They said that torsion axels don't seem to have the "fight back" and bounce that conventional leaf springs have. I did not add them to my unit.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
That's news to me, I though the axels came with shock mounts. You could always wled some mounts on latter if the ride seems to give you problems. My Airstream is the only trailer I have that has shocks, all the others use just the leaf springs, all though that list includes utility and boat trailers.

FOR THOSE WHO ARE ABOUT TO 'STREAM, WE SALUTE YOU!
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster
We had to replace the torsion axel on our '65 Caravel. The old axel had shock mounts. The new axel did not have shock mounts. I was told by the axel company, Hayes Axels in Ontario, CA, that their torsion axels are used on all types of trailers, horse trailers, car haulers and others. They said that Airstream is the only one who adds shock mounts to torsion axels. Others don't bother. They said that torsion axels don't seem to have the "fight back" and bounce that conventional leaf springs have. I did not add them to my unit.
If shocks were not needed, then why does Airstream install them?

Shocks are used to dampen vertical movements.

A torsion axle, to some degree does that, but not as much when it's combined with shocks.

Airstream engineers disagree with Hayes.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
question to Andy

Will be replacing axle on a 1955 Airstream Safari, and thinking about re-using the leaf spring. Will have the leaf spring inspected. What are you thoughts.

I attached a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2134.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	51366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2118.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	51367  

toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Very nice springs. I would add skid plates.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Just a thought

I'd consider reinstalling those with the axel mounted below the spring. It will give you longer legs, but not out of any comfort zone. Even on my short Caravel those service station sloped entrys come mighty close to testing out the drain fitting skid plate and removing the trap cover. A higher ground clearance is also handy on some boondock trips.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
question to Andy

Will be replacing axle on a 1955 Airstream Safari, and thinking about re-using the leaf spring. Will have the leaf spring inspected. What are you thoughts.

If your springs check out, I would think that they could use a good coat of paint, and probably some bushings too.

Adding skid plates is OK, but it won't help much more than letting the trailer drag on the U-bolts.

Andy
Old 12-24-2007, 12:44 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
I think mounting the springs on top of the axels is a good idea, too. I did that on a large utility trailer that I hauled heavy loads with and it helped, especially when I need clearance at the landfill. It didn't really have a noticable affect on the center of gravity either.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Skid plates and welding

First, I would not weld anything to the Torsion Axle as welding may damage it's rubber components inside. For a trailer the size of a Caravel, I think you'll be fine (what spec axle did you install) as the shock travels very minimal anyway (assume you'll not be off roading it anyway). As to the skid plates - rather than that, I'd put a set of those curved "Tire Saver" steel springs that mount under the axle that the axle drops onto in case of blowout, instead of the rim dropping onto the tire and shredding it. Good luck.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
question to Andy

If you get a straight(no drop) axle, you can still mount the axle over the springs as designed, and raise your ground clearance. The springs looks good, though rusty. New springs are pretty inexpensive, and metal fatigue could cause a leaf to crack. They are a half century old, you know.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
toastie,

the consensus on here seems to be you can definately re-use the leaf springs (after your inspection). they'll need some lubing up and new bushings. i went through the same conversation with myself. it seems some people prefer the leaf springs to the torsion axle. i decided to go with the latest and greatest and upgrade to torsions axle with kodiak disc braking system. much more expensive than rebuilding the leaf springs though.

rob,

do you have a picture of that thing? is there something that works like that for a torsion axle? since i'm still working on the frame i could incorporate something.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Now that some time has passed how do you like your Hayes axle, would you reccomend Hayes axles? What about no shocks? Good or bad? Thanks, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
Now that some time has passed how do you like your Hayes axle, would you reccomend Hayes axles? What about no shocks? Good or bad? Thanks, John
Hayes does not and will not build an axle to duplicate the original axles used on Airstream trailers. Their starting angles, load ratings and brakes used, do not match, or for that matter, even exceed the original Airstream specs.

Therefore what you get, is what you must live with.

The shock subject has been covered many many times, on these Forums.

Hayes, does not know how an Airstream behaves, which leaves them as an outsider when to comes to shock advice.

Someone, on this Forums, sometime back, did some tests, with and without shocks.

Their results clearly showed an improvement in the stability of the trailer, when shocks were used.

We just turned out an axle job yesterday, that were it not for the shocks, alll 4 wheels, hub and drums, and axle shafts would have separated from the trailer.

Individual re-engineering of a variety of Airstream specs, especially axles, usually winds up as a real headache, for the second owner, when the person that made those changes finds out that it didn't work out as they thought.

E-BAY is full of modified stuff, that is cleverly hidden from the photo's and description.

We see these problems every week in our shop.

Mickey Mousing has a place, but not with an Airstream, unless the owner is willing to accept problems associated with the poor choices.

Andy
Old 10-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hayes axle Ontario facility update.

As of a few minutes ago, the following information was obtained from Hayes branch, in Ontario, California.

1. They have not sold retail in many years.

2. They have not built any torsion axles at their Ontario plant in over 10 years.

3. Corporate has deleted many of their dealers a frew years ago, "that did not spend enough money with them," like at least $50,000.00 per year, net.

4. The local Dexter plant in San Bernardino, California, has officially closed as of October 27th, 2008.

Andy
Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Hayes axle Ontario facility update.

As of a few minutes ago, the following information was obtained from Hayes branch, in Ontario, California.

1. They have not sold retail in many years.

2. They have not built any torsion axles at their Ontario plant in over 10 years.

3. Corporate has deleted many of their dealers a frew years ago, "that did not spend enough money with them," like at least $50,000.00 per year, net.

4. The local Dexter plant in San Bernardino, California, has officially closed as of October 27th, 2008.

Andy
Andy, I need axles, and of course I am broke. So I am looking and learning. From looking at Dexter's on line info it appears to be a real pain to order their axles. However here in Kingman is a parts house that sell dexter & Hayes axles(remember we used to have the Ford Proving Ground here which was a big customer). If I take an old axle in they will order it no fuss. I am however a longtime Ford dealership mechanic, and as such am a firm beliver in the factory is almost without exception the best way to go as far as parts are concerned. So I am exploring and doing homework. I would very much apriciate a firm quote from you regarding my 1967 24" Tradewind. How much for bare axles( I already replaced the brakes with new loaded backing plates),& shocks including taxes & shipping. Thanking you in advance, John
Old 10-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy, I need axles, and of course I am broke. So I am looking and learning. From looking at Dexter's on line info it appears to be a real pain to order their axles. However here in Kingman is a parts house that sell dexter & Hayes axles(remember we used to have the Ford Proving Ground here which was a big customer). If I take an old axle in they will order it no fuss. I am however a longtime Ford dealership mechanic, and as such am a firm beliver in the factory is almost without exception the best way to go as far as parts are concerned. So I am exploring and doing homework. I would very much apriciate a firm quote from you regarding my 1967 24" Tradewind. How much for bare axles( I already replaced the brakes with new loaded backing plates),& shocks including taxes & shipping. Thanking you in advance, John
Our Henschen replacements, will have 12 inch brake flanges, not 10 inch as you would get with Dexter.

Also, we have a starting angle of 35 degrees, Dexter does not. If you use 45 degrees, Henschen and Airstream feel that angle is excessive and can cause problems.

We are not permitted to post prices. Please check your PM for them.

Andy
Old 10-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Andy, What is a 10 or 12 inch brake flange? And thanks for your prompt reply but in your reply no shipping cost ? If needed my zip is 86402. Thanks again, John
Old 10-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy, What is a 10 or 12 inch brake flange? And thanks for your prompt reply but in your reply no shipping cost ? If needed my zip is 86402. Thanks again, John
A 10 inch brake flange will only accept 10 inch brakes. A 12 inch flange will only accept 12 inch brakes.

Youe trailer was equipped with 12 inch brakes. Down grading to 10 inch would not be a good idea. If so, Airstream would have done that.

Are you going to use a residential or commercial address? It makes almost $100.00 difference in freight costs.

Andy
Old 10-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Thanks for the info, you are correct(as you already know) about the angles. I believe the Dexter had a 10,17,& 45 degree angle. Thanks for the brake info, I deffinatly want to keep the larger brakes. I will be using a commercial address. Thanks again, John
Old 10-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for the info, you are correct(as you already know) about the angles. I believe the Dexter had a 10,17,& 45 degree angle. Thanks for the brake info, I deffinatly want to keep the larger brakes. I will be using a commercial address. Thanks again, John
Starting angle are with zero load.

After a load takes place, a proper rated torsion axle will drop 10 to 12 degrees.

Therefore a 10 degree will position the trailer lower than intended, and the 17 degree will do the same.

A 35 degree starting angle will raise the trailer about 3 inches above the original starting angle. also 35 degrees loaded is the same as Airstreams 22.5 degrees, unloaded.

Your prices are in a PM.

Andy