Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
If you own a Camry you were probably shocked when your brakes went out on your Ford. Things like that just don’t happen with a Toyota. We tow a 25 ft Classic without 07 Tundra and it tows like a dream. With 113000 miles some would say it’s time for a new truck but I’ll drive this truck until it hits 200000 miles, then I’ll think about it. People can say what they want about “foreign” vehicles but I’ll take my 100% American made Tundra ( built in San Antonio TX) over a Dodge or Chevy built in Mexico. I’ll put up with the less than stellar mpg knowing I am driving a truck that won’t loose its brakes going down the road.
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #22
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Brake failure could happen on any make of vehicle.

I have a Toyota pickup with 219k miles. It has been a good vehicle. I also have a couple of other brands with well over 100k. They have been good as well.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:11 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
tucson , Arizona
Hands down Dodge Cummins mine has 236k and done nothing doesnt use oil best engine ever made period. Truck itself brakes sending unit and turn signal and a/c recharge I'll take that..
desertratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I have a 2013 Tundra 4.6 with 140K on it and only work done has been new brake rotors and pads, mountain towing being the culprit I believe.
My only gripe with the Tundra is vision from the drivers seat is terrible, the A pillars and mirror body's block those areas too much. This was a driving force in my new purchase of a Silverado 1500, for me it offered the best view out the cab as well as other factors .
They all have good and not so good points and you need to determine what matters to you.
I will say the Ford with the 3.5 and 10 speed had the best power delivery of all but other things swayed me.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Anything can pull an Airstream, even a bicycle. But make sure you look at the unique tire pressure sticker on the driver's door column. It tells you what the payload is for that vehicle. Going is easy, stopping requires that the tires, brakes and axles are not overloaded. Don't forget this investigation. The numbers are unique for each vehicle don't count on published numbers they are only possibillites.

Now for my son's experience with a NEW Trundra: He had to drive from Albuquerque to Anchorage pulling his Lexus. In Reno the Tundra broke down. It was fixed in two days. He then pushed on up to the middle of nowhere in Canada and broke down again. Tundra blew of the warranty because it was for USA not Canada. After many hours and many execs Tundra did step up. They towed his truck to the nearest garage 450 miles away and fixed it. After my son reported for duty in Anchorage he got a call and plane ticket to fly and get his truck. When he got to the garage his picked up his truck and ship's passage back to Alaska with the truck. All of his travel to and from the garage plus all of the repair costs were covered by Toyota. A guardian angel was on his side.

I like my F250 diesel. It is ROCK solid, quiet, and no 18 wheel big rigs blow me off the road. Wouldn't have anything but.

Happy streaming
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr.austin View Post

Now for my son's experience with a NEW Trundra: He had to drive from Albuquerque to Anchorage pulling his Lexus. In Reno the Tundra broke down. It was fixed in two days. He then pushed on up to the middle of nowhere in Canada and broke down again. Tundra blew of the warranty because it was for USA not Canada. After many hours and many execs Tundra did step up. They towed his truck to the nearest garage 450 miles away and fixed it. After my son reported for duty in Anchorage he got a call and plane ticket to fly and get his truck. When he got to the garage his picked up his truck and ship's passage back to Alaska with the truck. All of his travel to and from the garage plus all of the repair costs were covered by Toyota. A guardian angel was on his side.

g
Could you please elaborate on what went wrong with the Tundra? It is unusual for a Tundra to break down so it would be interesting to learn of the details that your son experienced with his.

Thanks,
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Raymore , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2plt View Post
Aren’t both of these vehicles made in the US? Can you cite the independent safety reports you are referring to? I would be interested in comparing the data. I have never heard that before. Thanks
Ford has a F-150 line here in Kansas city and I think one in MI.
walker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2plt View Post
Aren’t both of these vehicles made in the US? Can you cite the independent safety reports you are referring to? I would be interested in comparing the data. I have never heard that before. Thanks
He’s talking about American brands, not where they’re built.

Ford does best on safety. You can google the crash tests and watch them.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
If you own a Camry you were probably shocked when your brakes went out on your Ford. Things like that just don’t happen with a Toyota. We tow a 25 ft Classic without 07 Tundra and it tows like a dream. With 113000 miles some would say it’s time for a new truck but I’ll drive this truck until it hits 200000 miles, then I’ll think about it. People can say what they want about “foreign” vehicles but I’ll take my 100% American made Tundra ( built in San Antonio TX) over a Dodge or Chevy built in Mexico. I’ll put up with the less than stellar mpg knowing I am driving a truck that won’t loose its brakes going down the road.
Brake failures happen on all makes and models, domestic and foreign. And I mean domestic and foreign brands, not country where they are assembled.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
When you compare the Sierra or Silverado to the Tundra the only 2 issues that come up are the Payload and Fuel mileage of the Tundra.
The GM twins with the Max Tow and 6.2 L get you the 3.42 rear and payload in the 2000lb range.
The max tow and therefore the 3.42 gears are not available with the Denali or High country and that hasn't changed for 2019.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Walker77, I don't think you can go wrong with either. You are interested in either a Sierra or a Tundra and it sounds like you are going to test drive both of them. Pick the one you like the best. You will be able to compare all the important data points, consider the looks, feel the ride and then pick the one you like the best.

I am on my second Tundra. Zero problems and plenty of power to pull my 25FB. My cousin has a new GMC and it is very nice as well.

I always find it interesting when you ask to compare A and B and everyone tells you, you should consider C, D, E and F. It just never ends.

And then there is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
Proven, buy American.
Ford is best for safety. F 150 or F 250.
Foreign are the worst for safety. Safety should be your first concern.

The top Trucks with the highest "made in America" content are a tie. Ford and Toyota at 70%. Main areas are final assembly, engine and transmission source. The Tundra has all three listed as U.S. The ford had the engine coming from Canada.

Take a look: https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...-for-2015.html
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Whoops! Got the numbers wrong. I was looking at data from the 2015 year. In 2017 the F-150 indeed did have a higher percentage of American sourced parts at 85%. The Tundra came in second but only had 73.5%.

Tundras are built in New Mexico which is still a part of the United States.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker77 View Post
So we have a 03 F-150 currently with 95k on it. I decided we need a new truck when the brakes went out while towing our 25ft classic. We were coming off the highway when they went out. Only thing that saved us was the brakes on the trailer. That has been the only time that I've really been shook up while pulling. Ended up the hydraulic line running to the rear had been rubbing on the frame all these years and finally broke. Lost all pressure. Peddle went all the way to the floor.

I've really been looking at the 1/2 ton 2018 sierra. I really like the looks of it. And I've towed with my dads 2015 duramax. I fell in love with the built in trailer brake control.

I stopped by the Toyota dealer tonight. The new tundra isn't bad either. And we have had good luck with our Camry.

Anyone tow with both? How does the built in trailer brake compare?

3/4 ton Sierra!
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Jacksonville , Arkansas
We're using a 2017 Sierra Denali with the 6.2.. I think its a great package, we've towed the AS from AR to CA and back; no problems. We averaged 13mpg on the overall trip. This is only a couple less than the diesels and better than the Tundra, as I've read.
IF GMC strikes your interest, I STRONGLY recommend you get a 2018 model. I've looked at the new 2019, and while the tailgate and towing features are a bit better, the truck has LOST 300 lbs of towing capacity. The loss is due to reduced capacity of the axles. My truck has axles rated for 3950, and the 2019 is rated for 3800. Furthermore, the brake controller on my truck is on the upper left, close to the steering wheel, and the newest models put it down on the low side of the center console; that to me is out of site when you really want to activate the trailer brakes. My hitch weight is too much for the 2019 version. Good luck, and again, we're really happy with our GMC!
Deeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsapp View Post
I would stick with the Ford F150. I have ran the numbers on all the 150/1500 series trucks including Ford/GM/Toyota/Dodge AND THE NUMBERS DO NOT LIE. Ford out preforms teh rest. If you purchase the F150 with the total towing package and the EcoBoost 3.5 engine you will not be sorry.
Yes, we totally agree. So do all the people rating trucks. Ford has been the best for a great many years and still is. The EcoBoost is quick and a great engine.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I chose reliability and longevity.
I have a 2015 Tundra, 5.7, double cab, 6' bed.
I added a Tekconsha P-3 since the cab was wired for a controller, but in 2015 they didn't have it yet. It was plug and play.
I tow a 26U.
My towing mileage runs between 11.5 and 12.
It's my daily driver too.

It comes down to whether you feel best with Toyota, (made in San Antonio) or General Motors, either made in Flint, Mi. or Silao, Mexico depending on the cab).
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Depends whether you want a car with a pickup body or a real truck.

There I said it.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 12-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
Proven, buy American.
Ford is best for safety. F 150 or F 250.
Foreign are the worst for safety. Safety should be your first concern.
Tundra: American engineered, American made.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Brake failures happen on all makes and models, domestic and foreign. And I mean domestic and foreign brands, not country where they are assembled.
You’re right. No make or brand is 100% immune to problems. But you have to play the averages. Tundra= reliability and durability overall
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
OK, last post on this, I promise.

I have never liked it when people say things in these threads that are made up or simply not true. I just did exactly that and want to try to set things right.

I said that the Tundra was made in New Mexico when I should have said Texas. Sorry again.

Here is a quote I picked off the internet and well, you all know that anything you read on the internet is true.

The Tundra is now designed in Newport Beach, California, engineered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, its engine is built in Huntsville, Alabama and then the final assembly takes place at the Toyota Motor Manufacturing facility in San Antonio, Texas. You heard right, Texas.Dec 3, 2017