Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #641
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
@font-face { font-family: "American Typewriter"; }@font-face { font-family: "Verdana"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 16pt; font-family: "American Typewriter"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Anne,

Thanks for this really informative posting. I will follow up on ALL of it.

Any other southerners with Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama or Georgia suggestions please send them in, especially if you have some ideas for fairgrounds, sports fields or “behind somebody’s red barn” parking.]
Since you asked ... you're welcome! I was just last Saturday evening at a party and the subject of tamales in the South came up. An Arkansan mentioned the same phenomenon that I described about Jackson, MS. It seems that after the 1927 flood (good book: Rising Tide, John M. Barry, coinciding with the Great Migration of African Americans to the North left a vacuum of workers for the cotton industry. Notices were posted in train stations in Europe, Asia, the rest of the Americas, and the labor flooded in, as it were. Tennessee Williams' play, "Twenty Seven Wagonloads of Cotton" is an artifact of that migration.

Greek, Italian, Latin, and Asian cultures thrived along the Mississippi River and evidence continues in the folkways and foodways of those cities. Some of my good friends from river towns had Greek, Italian, and Hispanic/Latin surnames. Some good restaurants are still there. Look for the prevalence of the American flag -- patriotism of immigrant families. In Jackson, MS, I'm thinking of Bill's Burger House and Primo's. In Hattiesburg, Gus's Cafe #1 and #2; Vicksburg, Natchez, and, of course, New Orleans are popular, but other places are discoverable. A lot of churches will let you park, as long as you avoid Sundays and Wednesday nights (prayer meetings, usually).

In Hattiesburg, ask around for a tour that includes the People's Funeral Home. We called it the "Moan and Go On" Funeral Home. It was on Johnny Carson years ago. I hear it's still there. A new arts district has emerged in Hattiesburg downtown and near the railroad. The University of Southern Mississippi might be another good place to overnight for free. Check with the campus ministry groups. STudents usually leave on the weekend, leaving huge parking lots free of cars.

If you pass through Athens, Alabama, my hometown, you might find welcome at the high school, the college, or the fairgrounds parking areas. The WBCCI has an annual rally at the "Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddler's Convention" at Athens State College. This year it's October 1-2. I'm not advertising, just sayin'
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #642
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Thinking about The South this Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	leaves falling.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	112818
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #643
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24

Name:	window covers.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	112858

Full information about the slick new window covers here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f469...ors-46690.html
Old 10-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #644
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Those are really nice Sergei! If you're ever in the Seattle area, let us know! I'd love to visit....
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #645
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Notes to myself before heading out.......

Name:	joe 2.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	113365

Name:	family.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	113366

Name:	steve earle.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	113367

Sergei
Old 10-19-2010, 06:00 AM   #646
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Sergei

Your timing is perfect as the frost has arrived even here in southern Maine. We have also found that plans, reservations, and schedules are not necessary. So good luck, post a few updates and photos if you can.

As to the "notes to myself" I would suggest another one inside the cab for the more mundane things like....KEYS, wallet, sunglasses, wheel chocks, hitch pins....map and reading glass within reach!

AND of course the trailer list with the usual suspects like sucured cargo, tie doors, refrigerator, turn off water pump, and on and on.

Sometimes it is the little things that can be my unravelling like putting the keys it a different location (plus spares) and having to relocate them which distracts me from something more important to attend to. So, if you have not already, work out your own system while on the road, and the small things will not turn into big things later.

Safe travels!
Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #647
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Gary,

In three summers of trailer living, my most important list has been the check list covering loading and unloading the car and hitching and moving the trailer. Even after I thought I'd used it enough times and laminated the so called "final" list, new stuff came up.

Today I left town in the MINI to find the phone charger had been left in the Sprinter.

Maybe a truck-cab, car-cab list like you suggest is in order too.

Thanks,

Sergei
Old 10-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #648
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Sergei,, looks like you are ready to roll,, very excited for you,, sorry about Austin,,, but wish you happy trails and an angel on your shoulder,,, best,, d
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #649
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
New batteries:

Name:	batteries.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	114179

These are ODYSSEY Extreme 31M-PC2150 AGM batteries, rated 100 amp hours each, or reserve capacity of 205 minutes - which the manufacture says amounts to the same thing.

My friends at NIAGARA SERVICE and SUPPLY, Randall and David, provided and installed them in the battery compartment under the amidships bed.

The inverter is an everyday CANADIAN TIRE model, meant to support the 110v LG fridge enroute.

Sergei
Old 10-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #650
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Attachment 114179

The inverter is an everyday CANADIAN TIRE model, meant to support the 110v LG fridge enroute.
Hope to hear how that works out: reefer load, temps, times and the rest to get some perspective on electrical. Thanks.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #651
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Fresh water clean out hatch

Name:	closed.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	114216
If you want to know why you should have a clean out hatch for your fresh water tank look over my report on this brief thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...tch-69584.html

Sergei
Old 12-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #652
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Lyngby , Denmark
I've just spend the evening reading your thread-
What an ab! so! lute! ly! fan! tas! tic! job Sergei !!!

English is not my mother tounge , so I don't
even know if one can possibly do this:

I bow my head
and stand in ore !

Respect!

Lars aka Octane
Old 12-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #653
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Sergei,

What a great idea! I just ordered a hatch kit from here, without the bag.

I'll follow up on my ongoing project thread in a few days.

Anne

Quote:
Attachment 114216
If you want to know why you should have a clean out hatch for your fresh water tank look over my report on this brief thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...tch-69584.html

Sergei
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #654
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Lars, thanks for your kind words.

In a long history of interesting places to spend Christmas and New Years one of the best I ever had was the one I spent with my Danish girlfriend Hanne and her family in the village of Saeby, near Fredrickshaven.

My God, that was 40 years ago!

This year I will be at the Habitat for Humanity gathering in New Orleans.

Anne, good move. I've discovered that there is no better way not only to clean the tank but also to see exactly how full or empty of water it is!

Stopped over at Blythville, Arkansas last night enroute Memphis. I can't out run the cold snap: it stretches right down to the Gulf of Mexico.

Sergei
Old 12-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #655
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Lyngby , Denmark
Quote:
Lars, thanks for your kind words.

In a long history of interesting places to spend Christmas and New Years one of the best I ever had was the one I spent with my Danish girlfriend Hanne and her family in the village of Saeby.....
That would be " Sæby "

.-)

Goodness , it is a small world !

Where ever you are this year:
have a great Christmas and New Year !!!
Old 12-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #656
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Vidalia, Louisiana, right across the Mississippi from Natchez....

One interesting thing for me to observe is just how quickly I’ve come to drop my unreasonable bias against trailer parks.

Long aware of the stereotypes about trailers and trailer people I find that I've been busy stereotyping too. (Surely I didn’t have anything in common with “Pete and Darlene” in that rickety, side-ways leaning motor home chugging up the hill).

From the beginning I naively proclaimed that I was not a trailer park person and would avoid using them. There is no doubt that the way I built my rig has allowed me to stay at fairgrounds or on a friend’s property or to over-night on a shopping center lot or in a city park but it has turned out that these are now only stops between travel parks.

The parks are not as I stereotyped them. The full service ones are practical, efficient, clean and well equipped. Staffs are friendly and fellow travelers pay me no mind.

Most surprisingly I’ve been finding very inexpensive ones in the heart of or very close to cities. Some people travel to get away from it all but I travel to get into it all and I find that my portable, private little hotel room has everything I want: comfort, convenience and familiar surroundings that are, most importantly, to my personal taste.

My romanticizing of travel began long ago, as a kid at the Regina, Saskatchewan EXHIBITION GROUNDS watching the strange people of the Royal American Shows arrive and depart. I always look forward to rolling up the water lines and the electrical cable and heading out over that big hill and out of town. My only concession to reality is that I never set out before dawn or travel through the night.

Sergei
Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #657
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Privacy is a funny thing, eh? I like the people I meet, in general, at RV parks. I especially like knowing I'll be leaving soon. And given who I am, they may also be glad of it.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #658
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Update on my recent travels at post # 10 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ile-72224.html
Old 12-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #659
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
@font-face { font-family: "American Typewriter"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 16pt; font-family: "American Typewriter"; }p.MsoEnvelopeAddress, li.MsoEnvelopeAddress, div.MsoEnvelopeAddress { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt 2in; font-size: 14pt; font-family: "American Typewriter"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } The slick Oceanair blinds for the entry door and galley window didn’t get installed before I left Canada because they were lost in the mail.

The Wiltsie family sent them on and they caught up with me at the Shack Up Inn in Clarksdale, Mississippi.

Name:	door up.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	117593

Name:	door down.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	117594

Name:	kitchen up.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	117595

Name:	kitchen down.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	117596

Getting the blinds up is easy but requires three arms. Yesterday, in Vidalia, Louisiana, a 79-year-old Workamper named Richard from Connecticut helped me out.

They are a neat looking privacy solution for curved walls.

Sergei
Old 12-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #660
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
The slick Oceanair blinds for the entry door and galley window didn’t get installed before I left Canada because they were lost in the mail.

The Wiltsie family sent them on and they caught up with me at the Shack Up Inn in Clarksdale, Mississippi.

Attachment 117593

Attachment 117594

Attachment 117595

Attachment 117596

Getting the blinds up is easy but requires three arms. Yesterday, in Vidalia, Louisiana, a 79-year-old Workamper named Richard from Connecticut helped me out.

They are a neat looking privacy solution for curved walls.

Sergei