Old 04-13-2008, 08:12 PM   #449
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the update Sergei, that's not long at all now. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the completed trailer, along with your Sprinter TV and the matching Mini.

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #450
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
stony plain , Alberta
Looking forward to seeing it come out of the booth! I stayed up a couple of weeks ago until 2am reading all 30+ pages, and taking notes.
I feel like its mine now

Old 04-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #451
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
One of my favorite bluesmen was HOMESICK JAMES.

Homesick James - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The trailer has now been prepped for painting. Iím going out to check it over before the spraying begins next week.

Sergei
Old 04-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #452
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
On The Home Stretch Now

You're almost there, Sergei. Looking forward to seeing you on tour in the next year (you do realize you'll have to tour with this thing in order to appease your fans, don't you? ).

So, are there any outstanding interior items that you need to complete once it's back from paint, or are you finished?

-Marcus
Old 04-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #453
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Marcus,

Most things with the trailer are done. The only major items Iíll have to do after the painting is to install the shelving/extractor fan over the galley counter, put curtains on the front windows and install a radio/CD system.

All the rest is small stuff like a trim here and a baseboard there.

After the trailer is painted Iím taking it to RED OAK again, the same place were I began this adventure almost 3 years ago. I can do all that small work there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	red oak.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	59065

The truck is the next big thing to do. Iíve decided to take the Sprinter back to Berkelmanís once Iím set up at Red Oak. The shop is only a 15 or 20-minute drive from the park.

Because this is a custom job you need to be at hand. You also need to push things with a small shop or else theyíll go off to do other work.

This will be easier to do from Red Oak than from Toronto, which is a 3-hour drive away

Sergei
Old 04-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #454
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Sergei

Isn't it great to be able to get back to work on the trailer.... it is looking great... Marvin is starting back on our this week... just picked up new axles from Henchen and will install them this Friday if the weather permits.. Hope to see you soon...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #455
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
New Tires

There is a wide range of opinion here. Often youíll find conflicting opinions or contradictory advice.

When that happens I sometimes PM people that have impressed me with their wide range of knowledge on many subjects.

This time it was Bernie Hayden who I turned to for advice.

I ended up buying YOKOHAMA 700 R 15 LT Dís.

They were a little expensive at $160.00 each but I think they give the advantage of modern radial technology without the compromise you have to make when you try to match the old sizes to the newer standards.

I also like their vintage look and the fact that they stand taller than modern, low profile tires, giving me more ground clearance.

Sergei
Old 05-02-2008, 12:29 AM   #456
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
stony plain , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
There is a wide range of opinion here. Often youíll find conflicting opinions or contradictory advice.

When that happens I sometimes PM people that have impressed me with their wide range of knowledge on many subjects.

This time it was Bernie Hayden who I turned to for advice.

I ended up buying YOKOHAMA 700 R 15 LT Dís.

They were a little expensive at $160.00 each but I think they give the advantage of modern radial technology without the compromise you have to make when you try to match the old sizes to the newer standards.

I also like their vintage look and the fact that they stand taller than modern, low profile tires, giving me more ground clearance.

Sergei
Just my opinion on someone elses pride an joy, but I think these would look beautiful on the Argosy. You would have to find a rim to fit or go with a different tire. I just love whitewalls
Coker Tire*::*Radial Whitewall Tires*::*Coker Classic*::*700R16 COKER CLASSIC 3 1/2" WHITEWALL
Old 05-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #457
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Nice find on the tires Sergei. $160 is a lot more than typical ST trailer tires but it's not all that out of line for a quality light truck tire. Considering the taller cross section means more material in the construction and this is a specialty size the price sounds pretty darn good. You gets what you pay for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick
Just my opinion on someone elses pride an joy, but I think these [white walls] would look beautiful on the Argosy.
As long as all you wanted to do was look at it. Not load rated for anything near what's needed and a tube tire generates so much extra heat over a tubeless it would be foolish to use on anything but a old vintage parade car.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #458
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
stony plain , Alberta
A couple of companies do make a tubless whitewall radial as well(bf goodrich, coker, american). But I dont know about the load rating. I just linked that one for the pic.
I still love the look
Old 05-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #459
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Sergie, I just got the same tires yesterday, I will pick them up July 1st when I go home for my school reunion. I got a little better price at $566.00 mounted balanced and tax included. I think they will be good tires.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #460
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Homesick, what did I tell ya about ď conflicting opinions or contradictory adviceĒ?

(I think I might meet you half way: I plan to put Baby Moons on the hubs).

Marvin, your much better price was from the USA, right? If it was in Ontario, I got hosed.

Bernie is right about the price being reasonable if you consider that this isnít an off-the-rack tire. Youíve got to push your dealer to track down what you want.

Sergei
Old 05-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #461
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Another Milestone Reached

Phil, with it since day one of the Ďcontemporizationí, sent me this email from Aylmer at 6.30 am this morning:

Sergei the black is on the argosy it looks great, pat did a good job three coats black three coats clear , the pepper white will go on Monday . The new tires look good with the painted rims. Everything looks great you will love it . We had to do more body work then we thought but you find more spots once you get started. You will see in the pictures . I carefully watched over each step its good to see the paint on after all this time. Well lots to tell you when I see you I have to go to work see you soon phil.

Iíll go out to Wiltsieís to see the finished job next week and will post Philís photos.

Sergei
Old 05-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #462
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Fantastic news, I can't even imagine how thrilled you are to be so close now.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. And even better, looking forward to seeing the real thing when you take it on tour!

-Marcus