Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #441
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Marcus:

Hereís a humble shot showing part of the cabinets in the galley. I think the door style is called Adel.

Attachment 57508

Across from the galley counter is a 65Ē high pull out pantry. Same door style but in birch, not paint.

In post #375 above youíll see shots of the furniture DavidsonOverlander made for me. Working with natural birch, he matched the Ikea design.

(One of the advantages of a modular system like Ikeaís is that you can change the door fronts on a whim. If I get tired of the white doors in the galley I can swap them out for birch).

I donít think I want to take a chance on the Ikea doors staying closed in travel. Iíll invent some type of closure before I hit the road. For now I am using a simple bungee cord set up. Maybe that is as much invention as it needs.

Sergei
Great shot Sergei, just what I was looking for, many thanks.

I definitely paid close attention to Davidson Overlander's work, because it was so simple and beautiful. I'm a some-time amateur woodworker myself, and greatly admire people who can do such a fantastic job. I'll never be anything more than a hack, but I find woodwork to be enjoyable and pretty forgiving, so even when I make big mistakes I can generally cover for them well enough. If not, well... wood-filler, caulk and mouldings are my best friends.

Good point on the modular nature of the doors and drawer fronts. That's one of the reasons I selected the Ikea cabinetry for my kitchen remodel a couple of years ago. It will be very simple to change out the look should I ever desire to do so.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #442
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Okay, just came up with one more question I meant to ask. Just let me know when you tire of my questions and I will cease and desist!

On your wardrobe sliding doors, one of them is painted and one is finished in birch-- is this the way they came? Was that the only option, or did you make a design decision to achieve that look?
Old 04-05-2008, 07:19 AM   #443
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Cottage Industry Facts

T Man:

We used a 3Ē 90í L bracket at each and every INSIDE angle. All riveted construction.

Joe
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #444
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Sliding Doors

Marcus,

I think there were three options with the MALM wardrobe cabinet: birch veneer, white paint or a mirror.

I chose one door in birch and one painted. I repainted it in one of my interior colours, Clarksville Grey. (I didnít want the trailer to be too ďwoodyĒ).

Mixing and matching is another advantage with modular design like Ikea.

Incidentally, there are a couple of Ikea fan forums out there, devoted to unusual applications and uses for IKEA furniture.

When I finish this reno and have more time Iím going to submit some of my ideas.

Sergei
Old 04-06-2008, 05:38 AM   #445
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
That's a good idea, Sergei. Just as many Airstreamers enjoy viewing the less conventional interior designs, I'm sure the Ikea enthusiasts like to see new and unique applications for their favorite products. It might even be a good resource for thinking out any specific modifcations you desire to make in the future, because someone might have already done something similar before.

-Marcus
Old 04-06-2008, 08:05 AM   #446
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Marcus:

Hereís a humble shot showing part of the cabinets in the galley. I think the door style is called Adel.

Attachment 57508

Across from the galley counter is a 65Ē high pull out pantry. Same door style but in birch, not paint.

In post #375 above youíll see shots of the furniture DavidsonOverlander made for me. Working with natural birch, he matched the Ikea design.

(One of the advantages of a modular system like Ikeaís is that you can change the door fronts on a whim. If I get tired of the white doors in the galley I can swap them out for birch).

I donít think I want to take a chance on the Ikea doors staying closed in travel. Iíll invent some type of closure before I hit the road. For now I am using a simple bungee cord set up. Maybe that is as much invention as it needs.

Sergei
Sergei,

There is an RV-specific latch that will accomplish exactly what you desire..... to keep your drawers and cabinets closed while traveling. It is comprised of a strong plastic hook that engages a spring latch receiver. Very simple to install and can be used on virtually any drawer or cabinet that opens. They close with a very positive ction and require a substantial pull to get the drawer/door open again. Also, they install on the inside so you only see them when you open the door.

I had these on my 40' motor home and never had an unintended opening while on the road.

Let me know if you need more info...............
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #447
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Wow! Great job! I have always wondered if retrofitting prebuilt cabinets would work and you have done this! And very nicely too!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #448
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Painting the trailer

Marc, Utee, Others: about your questions on when the trailer might be painted.

Iím guessing by the first week of May.

The trailer is at Wiltsie Truck Bodies in Aylmer, Ontario now, being worked on. I am in Toronto, 3 hours away, so I donít know the exact day-by-day situation with things. I'll go there once a week or so to check on things.

They are now mounting the TV antenna,removing the skylight cover, filling one small dent, sanding, acid treating and washing and taping before the primer and BLACK colour below the beltline are sprayed.

Then they will do the Pepper White above the belt line and over the roof.

Sergei
Old 04-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #449
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the update Sergei, that's not long at all now. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the completed trailer, along with your Sprinter TV and the matching Mini.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #450
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
stony plain , Alberta
Looking forward to seeing it come out of the booth! I stayed up a couple of weeks ago until 2am reading all 30+ pages, and taking notes.
I feel like its mine now
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #451
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
One of my favorite bluesmen was HOMESICK JAMES.

Homesick James - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The trailer has now been prepped for painting. Iím going out to check it over before the spraying begins next week.

Sergei
Old 04-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #452
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
On The Home Stretch Now

You're almost there, Sergei. Looking forward to seeing you on tour in the next year (you do realize you'll have to tour with this thing in order to appease your fans, don't you? ).

So, are there any outstanding interior items that you need to complete once it's back from paint, or are you finished?

-Marcus
Old 04-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #453
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Marcus,

Most things with the trailer are done. The only major items Iíll have to do after the painting is to install the shelving/extractor fan over the galley counter, put curtains on the front windows and install a radio/CD system.

All the rest is small stuff like a trim here and a baseboard there.

After the trailer is painted Iím taking it to RED OAK again, the same place were I began this adventure almost 3 years ago. I can do all that small work there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	red oak.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	59065

The truck is the next big thing to do. Iíve decided to take the Sprinter back to Berkelmanís once Iím set up at Red Oak. The shop is only a 15 or 20-minute drive from the park.

Because this is a custom job you need to be at hand. You also need to push things with a small shop or else theyíll go off to do other work.

This will be easier to do from Red Oak than from Toronto, which is a 3-hour drive away

Sergei
Old 04-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #454
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Sergei

Isn't it great to be able to get back to work on the trailer.... it is looking great... Marvin is starting back on our this week... just picked up new axles from Henchen and will install them this Friday if the weather permits.. Hope to see you soon...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #455
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
New Tires

There is a wide range of opinion here. Often youíll find conflicting opinions or contradictory advice.

When that happens I sometimes PM people that have impressed me with their wide range of knowledge on many subjects.

This time it was Bernie Hayden who I turned to for advice.

I ended up buying YOKOHAMA 700 R 15 LT Dís.

They were a little expensive at $160.00 each but I think they give the advantage of modern radial technology without the compromise you have to make when you try to match the old sizes to the newer standards.

I also like their vintage look and the fact that they stand taller than modern, low profile tires, giving me more ground clearance.

Sergei
Old 05-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #456
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
stony plain , Alberta
Quote:
There is a wide range of opinion here. Often youíll find conflicting opinions or contradictory advice.

When that happens I sometimes PM people that have impressed me with their wide range of knowledge on many subjects.

This time it was Bernie Hayden who I turned to for advice.

I ended up buying YOKOHAMA 700 R 15 LT Dís.

They were a little expensive at $160.00 each but I think they give the advantage of modern radial technology without the compromise you have to make when you try to match the old sizes to the newer standards.

I also like their vintage look and the fact that they stand taller than modern, low profile tires, giving me more ground clearance.

Sergei
Just my opinion on someone elses pride an joy, but I think these would look beautiful on the Argosy. You would have to find a rim to fit or go with a different tire. I just love whitewalls
Coker Tire*::*Radial Whitewall Tires*::*Coker Classic*::*700R16 COKER CLASSIC 3 1/2" WHITEWALL
Old 05-01-2008, 11:58 PM   #457
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Nice find on the tires Sergei. $160 is a lot more than typical ST trailer tires but it's not all that out of line for a quality light truck tire. Considering the taller cross section means more material in the construction and this is a specialty size the price sounds pretty darn good. You gets what you pay for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick
Just my opinion on someone elses pride an joy, but I think these [white walls] would look beautiful on the Argosy.
As long as all you wanted to do was look at it. Not load rated for anything near what's needed and a tube tire generates so much extra heat over a tubeless it would be foolish to use on anything but a old vintage parade car.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:07 AM   #458
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
stony plain , Alberta
A couple of companies do make a tubless whitewall radial as well(bf goodrich, coker, american). But I dont know about the load rating. I just linked that one for the pic.
I still love the look
Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #459
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Sergie, I just got the same tires yesterday, I will pick them up July 1st when I go home for my school reunion. I got a little better price at $566.00 mounted balanced and tax included. I think they will be good tires.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #460
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Homesick, what did I tell ya about ď conflicting opinions or contradictory adviceĒ?

(I think I might meet you half way: I plan to put Baby Moons on the hubs).

Marvin, your much better price was from the USA, right? If it was in Ontario, I got hosed.

Bernie is right about the price being reasonable if you consider that this isnít an off-the-rack tire. Youíve got to push your dealer to track down what you want.

Sergei