Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1984 - 1989 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I have added a front receiver on a Ford Expedition and a GMC Yukon. Not having a PU I tried carrying gens and fuel inside the trailer. I bought an expensive Safety can for fuel but no matter what I did it still smelled like gasoline for hours. A definite fire and health hazard. We have used 2- Honda E2000 generators for years and carried them and 2-fuel cans with us across the country and back now, up-front and lovin it.. I went to Harbor Freight and bought there aluminum cargo carrier. I added a piece of expanded aluminum for the floor. It hold both Honda's and 2-GI cans of fuel or 1 Honda and f4-GI cans plus shove etc. Then after you set up camp you can use the front carrier to carry firewood and bring it back to camp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3047.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	500.0 KB
ID:	179373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3985.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	590.1 KB
ID:	179374  

batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
There must be some reason why auto engineers don't put fuel tanks into the front of the vehicle ???
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
The 24 gallon Action Packer will not hold a Honda 2000i.
Do you use the 35 gallon size ?
thx.
The Rubbermaid 24 Gallon Action Packer will hold a Honda 2000 generator...that's exactly what we use...and there's room for extra oil, cables, etc etc. You do have to make sure the handle fits into one of the grooves on the underside of the lid...if the hand isn't in the groove you won't be able to close the tote properly.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
The Rubbermaid 24 Gallon Action Packer will hold a Honda 2000 generator...that's exactly what we use...and there's room for extra oil, cables, etc etc. You do have to make sure the handle fits into one of the grooves on the underside of the lid...if the hand isn't in the groove you won't be able to close the tote properly.
X2, I have my 2000i and companion each in one, along with a bunch of their accessories, ground pads, and some misc cable locks and tools.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I store my two 2000i in the 24 Gallon Action Packer, use a dolly to move them around when I need to, hard to beat. I did have to cut out the center ridge to accommodate the larger gas filler cap on the newer Companion model. Took five min. with my pocket knife.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
I store my two 2000i in the 24 Gallon Action Packer, use a dolly to move them around when I need to, hard to beat. I did have to cut out the center ridge to accommodate the larger gas filler cap on the newer Companion model. Took five min. with my pocket knife .

Thanks Jim, that's what I'm going to have to do. It not fit otherwise.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Guys, I accidently was delivered the "California" model. That is the one with the larger cap...I think. I had one with the big cap and one with the small cap. The small cap fits fine. If you take a hair dryer and heat up the area of the lid which interferes, then install it with the genny inside, the lid will deform to the shape of the cap permanently. Only needs about 1/8" deflection in the "rib". I did later, in order to get free shipping on some other stuff, added a replacement small cap to an order of other stuff, so now not an issue anyway.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
. If you take a hair dryer and heat up the area of the lid which interferes, then install it with the genny inside, the lid will deform to the shape of the cap permanently. Only needs about 1/8" deflection in the "rib".

Sounds like a good solution, thanks for the tip.
WTH is with those Big-a** caps, they're really big.
They do lock nicely when not in use, but when trying to fill up I can only pull it to the side by inches.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Batman,
Gas cans in a front end cargo tray? With all respect, this is a serious hazard to yourself and others on the road.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I use 27 gallon Sterilite containers for our two Honda 2000's. I weatherstripped the top and that seemed to have solved the order problem when carrying them in our Suburban. I use a smaller capacity Sterilite for our external generator fuel tank with weatherstripping and that too seems to prevent fumes.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Jamujoe,
thats mighty big talk from a guy who "straps his gas can down on top of his battery box behind the propane tanks".

While I agree the front bumper is certainly not the most ideal spot to carry fuel, however I do not feel it is hazard to myself or anyone else.
I use only Scepter military fuel containers, the best and safest on the market. They meet or exceed the dot and United Nations Transportation of Dangerous Goods Model. Used by almost every military today.

Checking with the dot website under transportation of Gasoline and Diesel fuel. I found nothing to indicate it would be any less safe front, rear or side of the vehicle exterior. As long as all other safety requirements are met.

Thank you for your concern, however uninformed and disingenuous.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Gasoline Container Transport

Pardon me if I offended you, Batman. I'll take the risk of offending if it might result in saving a few lives.

You've obviously put thought and research into transport of portable gasoline containers, as have I.

Consider even a low speed front collision, and what would happen to that container of gasoline in front of your bumper. Loss of containment, hot engine - not pretty. I'd assess that risk as unacceptably high.

Consider the safety factors for a gasoline container: Containment and pressure relief. Consider the safety factors for storage of a gasoline container: Ventilation, damage protection and separation from heat and ignition sources.

The best container for gasoline in a vehicle is the built-in tank. As my tow vehicle is a diesel SUV, if I carry gasoline it must be externally. I believe that my storage behind the propane cover better achieves the safety factors - protection and ventilation - than any other location. The propane tanks, well ventilated behind a cover, present no hazard to the gasoline containers. The non-metal gasoline containers present no hazard to the propane tanks. My AGM batteries, also ventilated and under a metal cover and synthetic pad, present essentially no risk of ignition.

What if for some reason my gasoline container exploded? Disaster, probable loss of trailer and tow vehicle - but the people would be better separated from the explosion than in any other location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Jamujoe,
thats mighty big talk from a guy who "straps his gas can down on top of his battery box behind the propane tanks".

While I agree the front bumper is certainly not the most ideal spot to carry fuel, however I do not feel it is hazard to myself or anyone else.
I use only Scepter military fuel containers, the best and safest on the market. They meet or exceed the dot and United Nations Transportation of Dangerous Goods Model. Used by almost every military today.

Checking with the dot website under transportation of Gasoline and Diesel fuel. I found nothing to indicate it would be any less safe front, rear or side of the vehicle exterior. As long as all other safety requirements are met.

Thank you for your concern, however uninformed and disingenuous.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote