RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
1986 Sovereign 31' Refit

So like many of you, I cruise Craigslist often looking for items to daydream about. Sometimes I look for pinball machines, antiques, models, & trucks and sports cars.

A couple of days ago, the topic of choice was Airstreams!

This ad was waiting for me:

Sounded like probably a scam. Ad only used the craigslist email. But, the new mapping feature of craigslist shows right where the address of the poster. Well it didn't take much thought for me to find the aerial image of the ad location. Sure enough, an Airstream was clearly in the backyard!

So an email was sent. Next day, I sent another one. No reply. Guess I was late. The ad was two days old.

Later that afternoon, I got a phone call from the seller! An offer over the phone was made, after a quick inspect at night the trailer was mine.

So here's a quick image of the recovery. Nice cold rainy night! Of course the jack didn't have power, and the trailer was stuck in mud. Did I mention I opted for the 2 wheel drive Suburban?!

So now the trailer rests in Courtesy Parking awaiting evaluation and a couple of handfuls of projects.

So whats the "TLC" about in the ad? The previous owner had a leak and tore out the front gaucho, tables, and carpet. Also, I've got a bb gun shot window. I'll take it for the amount paid. The trailer is really dirty, but it has a new fridge, updated AC and water heater.

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Wow.. Depending on condition of subfloor and frame that looks like a terrific deal, at least on price per linear foot basis! Good luck with restoration.. A window and some furniture aren't hard to put together, and nobody will ever give you grief about not being "original" if you're prepared to respond with the "Yes, but let me explain the purchase transaction.." counter that will silence them.. Doorgunner in CA has done similar refurbs around front if his "great deal 31" as well... Might be a reference..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Frame is stiff, subfloor has about a 12x12 inch area that has water damage. I could probably get away with epoxy filler, but It will be just as easy to throw a patch in and do it right.

I think project #1 will be to get power to the jack out front. What a pain to manually crank that down.

www.campnova.com

Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have a 31 ft center bath trailer. If yours is the same, I can give you a few pointers. The rear area just in front of the bumper where the top of the bumper compartment goes under the rear of the trailer is a BIG area for leak problem on all Airstream trailers. This is the number one cause of frame and floor problems. I ended up replacing the last 4 ft of floor in mine as a result of this plate. Sounds like you got a good deal.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Perry,

I'm painfully aware of the little design problem with the bumper! The back 4 feet of my Safari was shot!

www.campnova.com

Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I found out why the trailer felt heavy while I was pulling it home. Durring inspection yesterday in the spring-like weather, Loudruff found a unique method of holding down a vent: a 12"x12"x1 1/2" piece of flagstone!

Yikes!

Who does that????!

www.campnova.com

Old 02-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
More interesting is why it didn't move and cause some damage on the drive out. A good sign, in a small way.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Was able to spend a few hours learning the trailer and cleaning!

We evicted some little friends and exercised some spirits of former furry residents.

The good news was on our first plug-in, all electrical systems except the microwave work as expected. The cassette car stero is providing massive feedback though.

The bad news is that we have some rear floor work to do. The above noted design feature has struck this trailer!

I love piecing the history behind Airstreams together. We found that this unit was probably "full timed" in Sarasota by the original owners.

I'll try to track down the former owners family and see if any pictures exist for the scrapbook.

Probably the neatest thing found so far is a cassette tape produced by Airstream giving a "tour" and instructions for "you new travel trailer"!

www.campnova.com

Old 02-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Seguin , Texas
You're having too much fun. Looks like you found a bargain--good looking Airstream.

Did you remember to flip the switch from AC to Microwave when you tested the microwave? The switch is under the overhead cabinet above the sink.
Pileus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Dan...nice find. You are lucky that piece of flagstone didn't give you more work to do up top...or worse...someone traveling behind you. Interesting the company provided a cassette for orientation of the trailer. Looks like you have been through this before. Good luck!

Bob
Indiana, PA
TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Well, Larry was following us on the retrieval. He's a professional truck driver so I'm sure his reaction time would have been great! We did go over a couple of railroad tracks, so I am surprised it stayed up there. Is this a good axle test?

And about the AC/micro switch, when I read that I said to my wife "did you see a switch like this..." We both went Hmmmm.... sounds like a good thing to check!

www.campnova.com

Old 02-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
And about the AC/micro switch, when I read that I said to my wife "did you see a switch like this..." We both went Hmmmm.... sounds like a good thing to check!
In my brothers '86 that switch is in the cabinet over the stove.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign